Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 21:59   #12076
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Needless to say, the fan conked off with just 38K on the Odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
since it was covered under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
Going by the recent posts, it seems radiator fan premature failure is a common sight in ecosport.
My car is 4 years and 10 month old and do not have an extended warranty.
I searched for the fan motor alone and able to source it from a second hand seller. The motor seems to be relatively new and it is the same Nidec from Poland.
Motor with the Fan assembly is available in all shops and the price is 4000/-. (OEM Ford price is 7700/-).

The replacement is a DIY activity only.
Detailed youtube video available at
  • Remove the engine bottom shield
  • Remove the connectors (Thermostat and Fan connector)
  • Remove the cable ties
  • Remove the bottom radiator hose (collect the coolant in a clean container)
  • Lift the Fan assembly clip on the top and push the radiator towards the engine
  • Pull up and slide the Fan & Leaf assembly downwards
  • Remove 3 Allen key screws
  • Take out the fan cover
  • Remove the center motor screw (Unscrew clockwise for removal)
  • Replace the motor and repeat the above steps
  • Start the engine and fill the coolant in the reservoir periodically as the level may reduce after complete circulation of the fluid.
The fan starts when the engine temperature reaches around 85 degree. When AC is switched-on, the fan starts immediately. Check the fan motor performance at slow and high speed. Pictures of the removed motor from the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-image0.jpeg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-image3.jpeg  

RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:44   #12077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny121 View Post
I also checked with my SA in fass and he said it used to be in pre-facelift models and not in the current generation ones.
Yep, the 12v socket on pre-facelift is continually powered, even when the car is locked (without any auto cut-off). Good they changed that in the facelift.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th August 2020 at 15:55.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:49   #12078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny121 View Post
I had read in many posts that ES battery discharges power even when the ignition is switched off.
I can confirm battery discharge when connected to the 12V port even when ignition is switched off on the pre-facelift model (happened twice with me not with a dashcam though). Looks like Ford has corrected it in the facelift.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 11:42   #12079
BHPian

I had gone for a long drive last Saturday (70 kms). By mistake i left my dash cam switched on. Yesterday to my surprise , i found the battery discharged. I called in a local guy to jump start but he was unable to do so. Then made a call to the Ford Road side assistance. Two options given i.e. a) Technician to come and try jump start (Rs 1003) and vehicle to be towed to the nearest service center (Rs 4000 odd). Opted for option A. The vehicle is still not starting even after drawing power from the jump start battery. The technician mentioned that it may with an issue with the ECM unit. Not sure what is happening here. A simple case of drained battery should be resolved by jump start. Not sure where the ECM/Sensor comes into picture? Would appreciate any suggestions !!!
Old 31st August 2020, 21:40   #12080
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
A simple case of drained battery should be resolved by jump start. Not sure where the ECM/Sensor comes into picture? Would appreciate any suggestions !!!
Did the technician try spraying petrol in the air intake and then start the engine?.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:20   #12081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I had gone for a long drive last Saturday (70 kms). By mistake i left my dash cam switched on. Yesterday to my surprise , i found the battery discharged. I called in a local guy to jump start but he was unable to do so. Then made a call to the Ford Road side assistance. Two options given i.e. a) Technician to come and try jump start (Rs 1003) and vehicle to be towed to the nearest service center (Rs 4000 odd). Opted for option A. The vehicle is still not starting even after drawing power from the jump start battery. The technician mentioned that it may with an issue with the ECM unit. Not sure what is happening here. A simple case of drained battery should be resolved by jump start. Not sure where the ECM/Sensor comes into picture? Would appreciate any suggestions !!!
Does the starter engage, or does nothing happen at all? Most modern cars will not start with close to empty batteries. I think there's some kind of threshold to have at least 5-10 % charge, that's why push start also doesn't work if battery is totally drained, such as by lights left on overnight. Even if cabin lights, even headlight seems to be with, albeit dim.
You can try giving the battery for overnight charge. Most retailers offer this as a service for 3-400 bucks. What's one more day of no usage?
Old 1st September 2020, 11:01   #12082
BHPian

How is the long term reliability of ecosport tdci from the 2014-2015 batch. Is it safe to buy a car with odo in the range of 80k-100k km to use it as a daily drive(~60km). At this age, what major components(suspension, brakes, clutch, timing, etc) need replacement and should be considered while negotiating?

https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1588669653

Is this a decent deal?

There is another titanium+ which is out of budget.
https://www.olx.in/item/ford-ecospor...iid-1547007225
Old 1st September 2020, 12:06   #12083
Senior - BHPian

@Kedar
It is better to look around.
Over a lac kms is not recommended.
These cars are rock solid and engines do not really demand a lot of maintenance and easily top over 2 lac kms.

however, the ancillary parts- Suspension, Clutch, Tyres, Damping etc needs/may need attention.

My thumbrule for used car is a car that is stock, with complete service history and with an odd below 35K.
Old 1st September 2020, 13:50   #12084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
My thumbrule for used car is a car that is stock, with complete service history and with an odd below 35K.
Very rarely would one find a good car thats used as little as 35K in the used car market. Only special circumstances like relocating abroad / extreme financial crisis would warrant such a decision to sell. Good small hatchbacks with that reading on the odo are possible because the owners might decide to upgrade to a larger car for practical reasons much earlier. An EcoSport generally gets owned for much longer.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 15:38   #12085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@Kedar
It is better to look around.
Over a lac kms is not recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Very rarely would one find a good car thats used as little as 35K in the used car market. ....An EcoSport generally gets owned for much longer.
Agreed. Its difficult to come across low mileage used cars, especially in the csuv/entry sedans.

Considering this, looking for an ecosport in the 4-5L range having <1.2L kms. Just wanted to get a fair idea of what would be a good price to pay for the trend variant with 1L km.
Old 1st September 2020, 15:41   #12086
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
How is the long term reliability of ecosport tdci from the 2014-2015 batch.
Having bought an used ES TDCI lastyear (done exactly 40424 km), I recommend to choose with less mileage (max 60k) with all service records. It is better to buy a car manufactured after Sep 2015 i.e after facelift.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:09   #12087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Very rarely would one find a good car thats used as little as 35K in the used car market. Only special circumstances like relocating abroad / extreme financial crisis would warrant such a decision to sell. Good small hatchbacks with that reading on the odo are possible because the owners might decide to upgrade to a larger car for practical reasons much earlier. An EcoSport generally gets owned for much longer.
Agreed. However, what I mentioned is desirable and not the norm.
The CSUVs may run higher but even then a 1 lac + mileage car is certainly not a great scenario. You will get a lot of options within the 40K-60K kms for the popular ES.
Old 6th September 2020, 22:42   #12088
BHPian

I had been following this thread very closely but eventually lost track and work got the better of me. My Ecosport completes 7 years this month and has seen everything from the mountains of Ladakh to the coasts of Gokarna, all without even a change in tyres or clutch pads. However, it’s now showing its age and I felt like it deserves an overhaul.

I’m looking at the following:

Clutch replacements, they’re fairly hardened now.

Suspension overhaul, weird squeaking noises emanating from the rear suspensions.

Better lamps, I’ve made all those trips with the stock lamps (don’t ask, )

Tyre replacements, have my eyes on a set of Michelin’s.

I used to get my car serviced at AVK Ford in Mumbai which is now Kavish Ford, but haven’t had great experiences. The only saving grace was it has mostly been regular service.

Off late, I’ve used Motofix to service her but I don’t think they have the expertise to service the likes of what I’m wanting to do. My question is, can other Mumbai based owners point me to a reliable garage that can take a hard look at her and have a deep service done? I’m not sure about Kavish Ford and don’t know about experiences with other Ford dealers.
Old 6th September 2020, 22:47   #12089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
My question is, can other Mumbai based owners point me to a reliable garage that can take a hard look at her and have a deep service done? I’m not sure about Kavish Ford and don’t know about experiences with other Ford dealers.
Kavish Ford has shut down operations and have moved on to Kia now. Not very sure of the service center though. I service my Figo at Bhavna Ford, Kalina. You may get in touch with Syed there who shall help you with the required work. However, please don't expect great workmanship. Lately they have been more money minded than before.

On the other note, why don't you start an ownership thread? 7 years of Ecosports would mean you got it when it was almost newly launched.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:40   #12090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
My Ecosport completes 7 years this month and has seen everything from the mountains of Ladakh to the coasts of Gokarna, all without even a change in tyres or clutch pads.
Wow, seven years on stock clutch, tyres and suspension with that kind of usage! While the clutch/suspension point to how well you've driven and maintained the car, I do feel you pushed the tyres.

About the poor headlights, that's the misery of owning the pre-facelift EcoSport. I have projectors (XP Micro) fit in place of stock fog lamps that has made things better, but it's still not the best solution out there. Maybe Aux lamps, clamped on the front bumper, since you seem to do a fair bit of traveling?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks