BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

EconomicTimes thinks that automatic transmission is for women: link
Old 20th June 2013, 13:22   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
EconomicTimes thinks that automatic transmission is for women: link
"We have added many new smart features like rear park assist and a complimentary emergency assistance service for all new owners, which will be a boon for women drivers," says Ford India MD & president Joginder Singh.

In case "women get into an accident"
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 13:57   #1008
BHPian

If the motor bash prices are accurate in that case base Eco sport petrol should be around 7.5L on road Bangalore. Now compare this with the base petrol Duster which is around 9.7L on road Bangalore. That's a whooping 2.2L difference.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:13   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Typically Diesel should start at a 1-1.5L premium over petrol. So if this were to be believed, then Base diesel should be around 7.5lakhs and the Trend variant which most people will end up buying will be 8.5L That should keep it south of 10.5L even in Bangalore.
I seriously think ford will be making a mistake having such a > 1L difference between petrol and diesel model prices. I know that has been the trend recently, but with the gap in petrol/diesel prices, the manufacturers should stop charging hefty premium on diesel models.

It seems to me right now a case of who will bite that bullet first. Once even 1 manufacturer reduces the premium on diesel model, the rest will follow.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:22   #1010
BHPian

Been to Kairali ford at edapally, Kochin. They have dsiplay vehicles on the showroom floor. A titanium O D and Ambient varient D is on display out there. Lower variants get is lighter grey plastics, which indeed look better than darker shade of Titanium O. Car looks stunning, but even with sparewheel mounted on tail gate it isnt looking big. It is in the league of I20/Punto. I took a test drive of Eccoboost, I loved the vehicle. Engine noice is on the higher side, ride on good roads seems to be good and the MID was showing FE 15 kmts/litre.Though the steering is light it didnt feel disconnected like in a Hunydai. As per the showroom executive titanium diesel would be under 9.5 lks on road and petrol 1.5 sibling will be a lack cheaper and Eccoboost will cost as much as a diesel. Launch is on 26th, as they have overbooked (100 against alloted 70) there is a 3 months waiting period at the moment. Except white, black and grey all other colors will be available after 3 months !!!. I think white looks better on this car. I'm impressed, I would chose this over a duster as it has got almost everything I'm looking for, but it looks so puny when I parked next to my Scorpio.

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 20th June 2013 at 14:26.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:33   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I seriously think ford will be making a mistake having such a > 1L difference between petrol and diesel model prices. I know that has been the trend recently, but with the gap in petrol/diesel prices, the manufacturers should stop charging hefty premium on diesel models.

It seems to me right now a case of who will bite that bullet first. Once even 1 manufacturer reduces the premium on diesel model, the rest will follow.
Why should Ford do it first ? every manufacturer is going it currently.

Also the gap i mentioned is for 1.5 petrol vs 1.5 diesel.

Assumption is EcoBoost(titanium) petrol and the titanium diesel will be priced similar just like you want it

Yes all manufacturers will reduce the premium the day we stop going and paying advance without even test driving the car.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:49   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Yes all manufacturers will reduce the premium the day we stop going and paying advance without even test driving the car.
Bang on! Not just in automobile industry but in other industries too. We, the customers are contributing to this problem in a large way, which results in high handedness of those running the show. I mean, why do you have to show them that you have fallen for their products already? Let them earn it. Classic example is Apple, who, for a long time exploited this weakness.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:52   #1013
BHPian

Specifications/Variants are out.
Vehicles are available at dealerships for test drive.
Booking is open.

I cannot understand what prevents Ford from announcing the prices and stop all speculations.
For everybody including company, dealers and potential customers, these the booking numbers, waiting periods etc. only makes sense once the pricing is out.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 20th June 2013 at 14:55.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 14:59   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why should Ford do it first ? every manufacturer is going it currently.

Also the gap i mentioned is for 1.5 petrol vs 1.5 diesel.

Assumption is EcoBoost(titanium) petrol and the titanium diesel will be priced similar just like you want it

Well said. Any manufacturer is in the business to make profit. Not to run a charity. So prices MAY only go down, when the demand dries up i.e. we say "no I'll not buy this product at this price, i think it is unjustified" in masses. These co.s are sitting on such huge profits and cash piles that they can easily absorb the slow market for a couple of quarters without giving any realistic discounts / price cuts. Especially in a market like India, where there are always enough customers with ready money. So nothing wrong in any prices.

I think and hope the decisions like these petrol/diesel model price differences are very well thought out. All the factors like cost to manufacture, market survey, sales balance to keep both models moving off the line are taken into consideration to come to these figures.

1. Currently the swing towards diesel engines (after the MJD revolution) is in flow. So every manufacturer wants to make merry with profits.

2. If the diesel costs just a little over petrol, who would buy the petrol? Not many. And without sufficient sales, the R&D costs put into that version will not be recovered by that model itself.

3. At least some part of the price difference is justified. The diesels have much more components, they are much more robust in build. Supplier of each additional component has their own cut of profit involved.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:10   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I forgot to mention was the dealer was quite confident the Diesel Titanium will be priced in the range of 11 lakhs, plus or minus 50k was what they said. It should be a blockbuster in that case. He was reluctant to diverge any pricing details, but seeing our interest let it out. For those who are in a hurry to book the diesel variant atleast take a TD of the Fiesta Diesel before you book your Ecosport, should give you a reasonable idea though the Ecosport is about 100kgs heavier

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th June 2013 at 15:12.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:13   #1016
BHPian

For those who think Duster is bigger and ecosport is a hatch on stilts should go and see both vehicles in person first.

The dimensions are almost similar and the Duster "looks" bigger because of a fatter rear , butch front and bigger wheel arches. The boot is bigger in the duster but you compromise on leg room space for rear bench. With split folding seats the usability of ecosports boot is much better.

The interiors look more futuristic and better made in the ecosport. The overall space usage is much smarter than the duster.

Tyres are also 185 spec as compared to 205 of ecosport.

I fail to understand that people are willing to pay 13L (on road pune) for a 85ps (option) duster and find 9-10L ex showroom for diesel titanium is expensive? Ford with a better reputation and service network with all the gadgetry definitely sounds like a better option.

For those who think customers should not be pre-booking without knowing the prices should understand that there are many who have been waiting for a duster "alternative" for a long time and want to get their hands on the "alternative" car as soon as possible. Plus no one knows how long will the introductory prices stay. All manufacturers are jacking up the prices of their cars the moment its a hit. for a mere risk of INR3000/- (in case of cancellation) its a risk worth taking.
niks_devil666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:27   #1017
BHPian

Have been to Both the dealers in HYD.
Mody Ford has both Diesel and ecoboost available for test drive, where as Fortune has only Diesel variant.

The EcoBoost test drive car is the Discovery campaign car.

I have test driven EcoBoost one.

Here are the extra things which I want to point out . firstly the front seats are no way comparable to the Fiesta's comfort. I was expecting the seats to give the same support.

Secondly I am 6'3", when I adjusted driver seat for my comfort and came back and sat behind. I could easily seat and I could place my legs under the front seat. Lot of leg room. Only one catch here, there is a small step under the front seat and that is little bit irritating.

For the city drive, the turbo lag is clearly visible and under 1400 RPM, the engine is struggling.

The steering offers a decent feedback, even though I was not able to take more than 90 KMPH due to city roads.

The Engine sound is clearly coming in to the cabin and the sound increases when the RPM goes beyond 3.5 K

I want to correct one thing which Vid said above, even trend variants are getting light grey interiors, not Beige. The display car is Trend variant

Last edited by anumod : 20th June 2013 at 15:34. Reason: Updated the confusion about biege interiors also
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:57   #1018
BHPian

Can anyone among the BHPians confirm if they have test driven the 1.5 manual petrol version?
I see no discussion here considering that everyone knows that it will be priced very competitively (hopefully max 9.5 lacs on road here in Bangalore for the titanium manual version). I am certainly interested in it as my monthly driving is not more than 600 kms and with all the gadgetry/features seems like a great deal.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:14   #1019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post

Tyres are also 185 spec as compared to 205 of ecosport..
The Duster wears 215 section tyres, not 185. If I'm not wrong.

Also, I have spent considerable time in various Dusters that belong to colleagues and friends, and I can say quite categorically that the Duster is roomier. The EcoSport feels a bit tight for 3 at the back but the Duster accommodates 3 adults in reasonable comfort. From the driver's seat, the EcoSport feels no wider than a Swift. The Duster does feel larger.

The Duster is a good alternative to entry level sedans because of its ability to accommodate 5 + luggage plus the added versatility of high ground clearance, whereas the EcoSport is a good alternative to premium hatchbacks as it provides similar levels of accommodation and the added versatility of higher ground clearance.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 17:10   #1020
BHPian

Did a TD of the diesel. Power seemed adequate. At low RPMs, the car does not move, so no option but to shift down. Coming from petrol, this was a problem for me. Also the steering is too light to my liking. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to since I am coming from a HPS.

The car definitely looks small, similar to the Yeti, but that doesn't matter unless you have an extended family to lug around. Boot space is not sparse as some would want us to believe. Can take at least one large baggage plus several small bags. Not great, but better than most hatchbacks. The flexible seating is there to help in situations where you need more boot space.

On a lighter note, the Duster trolls in this thread appears to be on Renault's payroll. Comparisons with Santro, Swift and what not. All lies.

This is one Ford that is worth owning. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks