Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-93.html)

I hear the hissing for 2 or 3 min every time I switch off the car. AC or no AC. I was thinking if it's the suspension or the ABS...
When you crawl over a speed breaker, the front suspension makes a very similar hissing sound, hence the thought came.

Could it something to do with the water pump system? I heard it some days back after parking the car but since there are no errors in the vcds scan, I haven't really bothered to go into details. Will ask the service guys next time I go there but knowing the quality of VW service personnel, I am sure it will be of no help.

The hissing sound is there in mine as well - though I always thought it was the turbo cooling off stupid: By the way, can I remap my Tsi during the run in period ? - the Pete's discount is only available for a week more !

Quote:

Originally Posted by JishD (Post 3321814)
The hissing sound is there in mine as well - though I always thought it was the turbo cooling off stupid: By the way, can I remap my Tsi during the run in period ? - the Pete's discount is only available for a week more !

Yes you can. Another guy, one with the black polo tsi got his remap. No issues. Makes run in even smoother.

:OTGuys, just bought Jopasu duster from ebay(http://www.ebay.in/itm/Jopasu-Gift-P...item19cdbe301b).
I am pretty satisfied with the cleaning abilities of the Jopasu duster.

Background:
I used to get my old car cleaned by a regular cleaner who used to clean every alternate day. But after few months I could observe lot of scratches on the windshield, and found that this guy uses the same cloth for cleaning the body as well as windscreen.

So, decided to clean the Polo GT TSi myself. Started with a shampoo(formula 1) wash on every weekend. But because of the Bangalore bad roads lot of dust used to settle on the car(even on the windshield), and I did not have time to give a wash on a daily basis, So I was searching for an alternate solution. Then found the Jopasu reviews(e.g. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ni-review.html).

Cleaning regime:
- Give a shampoo wash on every weekend
- Other days just use the Jopasu duster to "remove the dust"

Quote:

Jopasu Car Duster
International quality Car Duster used for cleaning the car within minutes. It saves water by reducing vehicle washing frequency. Its long plastic handle enables cleaning the vehicle top easily. It is made from specially treated cotton strands with white colour which will lift the dust, without scratching the paint. It is washable and re-usable for years.

Features:
Specially baked, wax-treated cotton strands.
Absolutely won't scratch the paint
The dirtier it gets the better it works.
Lasts for years and years and reusable.
Doesn't just move dust, it removes !
Washable with cold water, recommended only when it gets very dirty.
Light in weight so that anybody can clean the car with ease.

Instructions:
Do not use the Duster on wet surface.
Shake the Duster clean before and after use.
Always keep the Duster inside its bag when not in use.
When Duster stops picking dust wash it with mild detergent in cold water & air dry.
@Stumpz: Special thanks for mentioning this in one of your mail.

I have been driving the Polo TSI for a month now (1400 km done). I find the headlights are poor. The high beam is very very poor. Any idea how to fix this? The user manual does not mention about adjusting focus of the lamps at all.

I recieved a call from VW regarding my query about the DSG recall.

VW stated
" The VW Polo GT TSI model has been affected by the recall.
The synthetic oil in your gearbox will be replaced by mineral oil.
Currently the service centres are being given training for the recall.
You'll recieve a call from your nearest service center soon.
The entire procedure will take around 1 hour 30 mins , and would be free of cost. "

This is my car

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 3329198)
I have been driving the Polo TSI for a month now (1400 km done). I find the headlights are poor. The high beam is very very poor. Any idea how to fix this? The user manual does not mention about adjusting focus of the lamps at all.

It is indeed quite poor especially if you are used to projectors. One option is too change the bulbs to OSRAM night breaker Unlimited. Its plug and play with no relay or wiring.

Another expensive option is to change to the OEM GTi xenons or put aftermarket projectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 3329949)
One option is too change the bulbs to OSRAM night breaker Unlimited. Its plug and play with no relay or wiring.

Another expensive option is to change to the OEM GTi xenons or put aftermarket projectors.

Osram night breakers - will they really make a difference? Are you using those? If the reflector is poor, what can a change of bulb will do - is what I am worrying. But I really need to do something - can't live with the stock headlights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 3330107)
Osram night breakers - will they really make a difference? Are you using those? If the reflector is poor, what can a change of bulb will do - is what I am worrying. But I really need to do something - can't live with the stock headlights.

Well its gets better than the stock performance. I am not saying you will get projector like performance but the Osram NB Unlimited do help improve the light throw. I am using the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 3330107)

I use Phillips Extreme Vision in my car. You will notice a 20% improvement in output. The downside is that they fuse more often than stock bulbs because they burn brighter but it is the cheapest and easiest way to improve headlight performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 3329949)

where can I get more information on after market OEM projectors for Vento Tsi please? specifically

-- cost
-- is it available with various dealers
-- if I get this outside of VW, then will it impact the standard and/or extended warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 3330134)
Well its gets better than the stock performance. I am not saying you will get projector like performance but the Osram NB Unlimited do help improve the light throw. I am using the same.

OK, did a bit of reading and Osram night breakers and Philips Xtreme Vision seem to be 2 leading brands. I went to a shop and Night Breakers were not available, but Xtreme Vision were, so bought those (Rs.600 for 1 bulb). Seems better, though I feel the stock bulbs on the Laura are just awesome...incidentally, I see the stock bulbs in Polo are also Osram (but not night breakers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 3330182)
I use Phillips Extreme Vision in my car. You will notice a 20% improvement in output. The downside is that they fuse more often than stock bulbs because they burn brighter but it is the cheapest and easiest way to improve headlight performance.

You mean the fuse blows often or the bulb? Regarding brightness, I feel they are brighter than the stock Osrams, but let me use them for a week and then I will report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortsell (Post 3330255)
where can I get more information on after market OEM projectors for Vento Tsi please? specifically

-- cost
-- is it available with various dealers
-- if I get this outside of VW, then will it impact the standard and/or extended warranty.

Yes, even I feel eventually we will have to move to Projectors. The stock reflectors seem poorly designed. If the Polo GTI comes with OEM projectors, can we order those? Do we have to worry about RHD/LHD? And will they be compatible with the stock headlamp leveling motor?

@Robi, can you help with those? Where can we source these from? Petes can help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 3330368)
@Robi, can you help with those? Where can we source these from? Petes can help?

Anand Sir, the genuine VW OEM projector headlamps are prohibitively expensive! A pair retails for nearly a lac! Me and Robi were discussing about these over PMs a few days back. However, there are plenty of replicas retailing for cheap though - looks exactly like the OEM projectors but no idea how good the quality of the DRLs and throw of the projectors on those are. I have seen a TSI in Surat with the replica DRL projectors; looks pretty good in person.

Vagtune is retailing a pair of genuine projector headlamps for 1.3L - Link

On the contrary, a pair of VW OEM GTI tail lamps cost just 15-16k (Link). I wonder why such a huge contrast in the pricing!

Btw was swapping the bulbs in the headlamps easy? Did you do it yourself or did you get it done from a service centre? Swapping the tail lamps is easy - there's a small slotted hole in the carpet of the luggage compartment sides through which the white butterfly nut can be accessed. Unscrew it and unclip the tail lamps which slides away from the slot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 3330368)
You mean the fuse blows often or the bulb? Regarding brightness, I feel they are brighter than the stock Osrams, but let me use them for a week and then I will report.

The bulb fuses, as in the bulb stops working. The Osram/Phillips high output bulbs burn out faster than the stock bulbs, which are designed for longevity. Nothing happens to the car fuse.