Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-75.html)

Interesting comparo on Autocar between Ecosport Auto and Polo GT

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-355731.aspx/0

Read this yesterday , interesting to read academically but not from a real world perspective , there are many other aspects aside from the "similar specs sheet" which go into a purchase decision and as much as they may be similar - we are talking 2 different body styles here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 (Post 3232950)
Interesting comparo on Autocar between Ecosport Auto and Polo GT

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-355731.aspx/0

Quote:

Originally Posted by puchoo (Post 3233127)
Read this yesterday , interesting to read academically but not from areal world perspective , there are many other aspects aside from the "similar specs sheet" which go into a purchase decision and as much as they may be similar - we are talking 2 different body styles here.

Couldnt agree more to you Puchoo. But at the end of the day car are classified in categories as per their price in our Indian market which makes these comparisons a must. I am sure many prospective buyers from B2 to C2 segments would have reconsidered their purchase decisions after the launch of Ecosport.

So after much deliberation and convincing the family, finally bit the bullet and booked the GT TSI. Have been quoted a waiting period of 3 months. The SA said they get only 3 cars per month. He was more keen on selling the GT TDI with offer of delivery in one week. But I didn't feel ESP and DSG are worth sacrificing for only a diesel heart. Saw the GT TDI on display and is the same car with changes only under the hood.

Well it is unfortunate to see that such a good car is going through this fate. Long waiting times , reluctance on part of dealers to sell the vehicle and push for other vehicles is really discouraging for the customers.

When I enquired about the vehicle, the first response that I got was "Sir it costs more than 9 lacs on road". I asked him what was his problem since I am going to pay and requested a test drive. They brought both 1.2TDI and GT TSI. I test drove both and asked them to book GT TSI. It seemed as if I was pushing this product on them rather the other way around.

Yesterday I got a call saying GT TDI has been launched. I asked him what should be done then and made it clear that they have to honor their commitment of making GT TSI available to me by this month end.

All the above has forced me to believe that either the dealers are not getting any margin on this product or there is serious reluctance on part of VW to sell this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahilkhurana (Post 3237427)
Well it is unfortunate to see that such a good car is going through this fate. Long waiting times, reluctance on part of dealers to sell the vehicle and push for other vehicles is really discouraging for the customers.

Very true! Makes me wonder why VW bothered to launch this car. It’s not the scenario where they are not able to deliver due overwhelming response. It’s a great car; VW need to show some confidence in the product, and start getting enough numbers to the dealers.

VW Hosur road sales executive said there is NO extended warranty on Polo TSI. VW Whitefield exec said they provide 2 years extended warranty for RS 7300 but DSG is not covered. In order to cover DSG they provide drive assure at anextra 7K or 8K. Seems funny to me. Why will bajaj allianz cover DSG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpudhi (Post 3236593)
So after much deliberation and convincing the family, finally bit the bullet and booked the GT TSI. Have been quoted a waiting period of 3 months. The SA said they get only 3 cars per month. He was more keen on selling the GT TDI with offer of delivery in one week. But I didn't feel ESP and DSG are worth sacrificing for only a diesel heart. Saw the GT TDI on display and is the same car with changes only under the hood.

I couldn't agree more with this. I was also contemplating one of the GT twins and took extensive TD's of the TSI and a small drive on the TDI. The GT TDI is good, but GT TSI offers far more. It felt a lot faster and the convenience of driving one is simply the best part about it. Hill hold worked on more than one occasions and the DSG took out a lot of stress of stop-go traffic driving.

Even on the open-road the acceleration was brutal and the car made very quick progress. The SA told us the exact same thing on how GT TDI is better to buy, more mileage blah blah, DSG is unreliable, no extended warranty will return 8kmpl, 8 months waiting v/s immediate delivery etc

I hope to buy a *pre-worshiped* example of this gem of a hatchback at mouthwatering prices 2 or 3 years from now :D

I guess VW want to keep the prices less than 10 lakh on road therefore no dsg and esp on the GT TDI. The TSI is better value for the money as the TDi with the five speed and no esp is not worth considering. Vw could atleast have offered the tdi with a full disk brake setup.

Although i am glad that VW is launching these hot hatches in India as we did not have any performance oriented cars in the sub ten lakh category.

And when the GT TDI is modified by Petes or any other tuner it will decimate anything out there by the Germans; BMW, Audi and Merc

Same does not go for the GT TSI because of the DSG as mods would entail no warranty if the dsg fails

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironager (Post 3238012)
I guess VW want to keep the prices less than 10 lakh on road therefore no dsg and esp on the GT TDI. The TSI is better value for the money as the TDi with the five speed and no esp is not worth considering. Vw could atleast have offered the tdi with a full disk brake setup.

Although i am glad that VW is launching these hot hatches in India as we did not have any performance oriented cars in the sub ten lakh category.

And when the GT TDI is modified by Petes or any other tuner it will decimate anything out there by the Germans; BMW, Audi and Merc

Same does not go for the GT TSI because of the DSG as mods would entail no warranty if the dsg fails

What if the Manual Tranny in the GT Tdi fails? Are you saying it will be covered under warranty?

Okay, I did a TD of the car for my wife yesterday, and boy I liked the car. It sounds so sweet at S mode that I fell in love. However, the price and cramped back seat is a real dampener. I can still digest the price for the DSG gear and TSI engine but the back seat is really a problem even for our monthly grocery store visit.

However, I am still thinking as I have some time at hand.

About delivery, the sales guy told it will take 6-8 months for white and other two colours it will be 2-3 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironager (Post 3238012)
I guess VW want to keep the prices less than 10 lakh on road therefore no dsg and esp on the GT TDI.

I think you are right. I am sure this is how manufacturers think. But if they do launch a Polo TDI with DSG, I will be first in queue. And I am sure I will not be alone. There ARE people who want all big car features in small car and yet do not want to lug around the boot which they will use once or twice a year. If VW thinks I am in minority, then I would say even those buying Polo TSIs are in minority. After all how many TSI does it sell against the regular diesel Polos? Still if they could launch a DSG TSI then why not a DSG TDI, too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 3238595)

I think you are right. I am sure this is how manufacturers think. But if they do launch a Polo TDI with DSG, I will be first in queue. And I am sure I will not be alone. There ARE people who want all big car features in small car and yet do not want to lug around the boot which they will use once or twice a year. If VW thinks I am in minority, then I would say even those buying Polo TSIs are in minority. After all how many TSI does it sell against the regular diesel Polos? Still if they could launch a DSG TSI then why not a DSG TDI, too?

In terms of cost only, would it be very expensive to make a DSG gearbox for a Diesel engine, given the additional wear and tear and vibrations of an oil burner?

I would love it if the tdi came with a DSG gearbox. That would be a delight.

The upcoming 1.5 tdi with a DSG should be a good combo especially for the masses, power, efficiency and style. But this again won't be possible because of the high taxes Diesel engines attract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babhishek (Post 3238513)
What if the Manual Tranny in the GT Tdi fails? Are you saying it will be covered under warranty?

The VW DSG gearboxes are more prone to premature failure than the 5 speed manual gearboxes and it would be a lot cheaper to replace a manual gearbox than a DSG which would cost upward of Rs 1.5 lakh and would only be undertaken by authorised VW dealer plus the resale value of such a car with a replaced DSG would be quite low.

Further it would be a lot easier to modify in terms of performance the VW 1.6 engine as has been done by many forum members with Ventos and Rapids

The only modified TSI i have heard of was done by Petes covered in an issue of Autocar and even then there was a very negligible increase in performance which would not justify the costs incurred. Im sure when pete gets his hand on the Gt TDI its going to be one hell of a upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D'Artagnan (Post 3238644)

In terms of cost only, would it be very expensive to make a DSG gearbox for a Diesel engine, given the additional wear and tear and vibrations of an oil burner?

I would love it if the tdi came with a DSG gearbox. That would be a delight.

The upcoming 1.5 tdi with a DSG should be a good combo especially for the masses, power, efficiency and style. But this again won't be possible because of the high taxes Diesel engines attract.

VW already has a DSG gearbox for diesel engines upto 320 nm torque. It is the DQ 250 six speed DSG in the Jetta and Laura. No need to re-invent the wheel here. Only question is whether this will fit in the PQ25 platform of the Polo or is only designed for PQ35 platform of Golf/Jetta.