Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D'Artagnan (Post 3105618)
Why why why would vw do this?

Come on! When a company introduces low tech commuter engines we are up in arms with them. Now when they bring their award winning engines and introduce first in class safety features, I think they deserve some credit.

Quote:

Even though prices are announced 9L OTR! I thought the whole point of buying a diesel was so that the extra cash spent would make someone consider a petrol car.

This is not targeted at the diesel car buyer in any way. Its a niche product for someone who wants a sophisticated, top end, self driven, premium hatch

Quote:

I've seen people having their polo's hitched from highways and middle of the road due to parts failure, the DSG system is complicated by the sound of it, informed people would wait for a long term ownership for the hard facts.

THough I haven't witnessed or come across Polos stranded in the middle of the road, I agree with the wait and watch approach with regards to DSG reliability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 3105469)
...With something as light (I assume) as a 1.2l petrol TSI, it is possible to achieve all of this much easier. Then comes the question of pricing. A 1.6l diesel motor is surely going to take the price in the 10lac and possibly above (Based on what Hyundai charge for the 1.4 crdi i20) region.

For your kind information, the 1.2 TSI weights just 5kg less than the existing diesel Polo and it is almost 80-90kg heavier than the 1.2 regular petrol Polo. And the 1.6 TDI is already doing 'successful' duty in the Vento. Though I am sure they won't bring the 1.6 version due to tax constraint, maybe they bring 1.5 or lesser capacity engine.

Quote:

I've seen people having their polo's hitched from highways and middle of the road due to parts failure

This is too generalised a statement to make. There could be a few instances of these but reasons could be different.
Having a VW car for the last two years, I have not faced any such fears and though their service was scary initially they have improved and on a positive trend.
But agree on the point of the DSG 200, in having a wait and watch approach before taking the plunge.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowwhat? (Post 3105524)
Haven't gone through the whole thread in detail yet, but how unreliable is the DSG box on this Polo? Any idea of the price?

Look no further than this. Here it is, in all its gory details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3074037

BHPian Hayek was hoping VW will introduce the 10 year warranty with the Polo 1.2 TSI, but obviously, looks like they will not. Which only goes to show that it is probably only an environment of strong accountability (lawsuits/ regulatory pressure) that brings about such "good citizen" behavior lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbppjpr (Post 3105694)
For your kind information, the 1.2 TSI weights just 5kg less than the existing diesel Polo and it is almost 80-90kg heavier than the 1.2 regular petrol Polo.

I was highlighting engine weight between 1.2l TSI to the 1.6TDI. Many folks here showed interest for this engine in a Polo. I was trying to highlight some of the drawbacks of it and it will be too much work for VW to plonk it in to a car like the Polo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbppjpr (Post 3105694)
Though I am sure they won't bring the 1.6 version due to tax constraint,

Tax constraint? Who could care about this? We are already paying heavy taxes for diesel cars. I doubt if this would hurt anyone who is diesel mileage frenzy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 3105072)
If you use the manual mode, it can hold to the revs.

AFAIK, it doesn't. Even in manual mode, the DSG automatically upshifts at the redline (or downshifts if the engine gets close to lugging).

One thing I absolutely hate about most automatics is the inability to hold onto a gear. The last thing I want in a fast / tight / sweeping corner is an upshift that'll make my car lose its poise.

Quote:

Why why why would vw do this? Even though prices are announced 9L OTR! I thought the whole point of buying a diesel was so that the extra cash spent would make someone consider a petrol car. Add to that the volatile price of petrol makes me think this is a stunt by VW to improve their brand image that has taken a beating after they've priced their cars ridiculously high! Enthusiast or not the price of petrol, long term maintenance bills, VW's A$$ would make everyone think twice about owning this hot hatch. I've seen people having their polo's hitched from highways and middle of the road due to parts failure, the DSG system is complicated by the sound of it, informed people would wait for a long term ownership for the hard facts. But as of now awesome pickup, awesome handling, good instrument and driver aids let me sit back and wait for fiat to respond.

Very subjective take on the car and the brand. My Polo is 3 years old and it is yet to face even a minor complaint, forget breakdown. We should appreciate VW for bringing their modern engines and line ups to India. With this attitude you will be always sitting back and waiting for some one else to respond with every launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3105728)
AFAIK, it doesn't. Even in manual mode, the DSG automatically upshifts at the redline (or downshifts if the engine gets close to lugging).

Yes it would shift at redline but at least it would hold to the gear till then. Upshifting in the middle of a curve or downshifting when you try to accelerate hard can be really annoying in ATs.

Hey Avi thanks !! for the great review, must have spent considerable effort to come up with such a detailed review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3105728)

One thing I absolutely hate about most automatics is the inability to hold onto a gear. The last thing I want in a fast / tight / sweeping corner is an upshift that'll make my car lose its poise.

Agree. I know with DSG we will not rue the automatic for 95% of the time, but those 5% of the time when we become one soul with the car, pushing that corner in ghat, holding that lower gear, the auto box can ruin the perfect romantic moment.

But that apart, I think buyers will be happy that the DSG up-shifts rather than holding a lower gear and stressing the box to death lol:

Talking of reliability, any idea how well does the TSI tech by VW fares in our humid and dusty environment? Or is it just the DSG which is known to fail?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekz (Post 3105787)
Talking of reliability, any idea how well does the TSI tech by VW fares in our humid and dusty environment? Or is it just the DSG which is known to fail?

TSI tech has absolutely no issues in our environment. And out of the DSGs, it is only the dry clutch DQ200 which has a infamous reputation here. It is suggested that the DQ200 will have lower/no issues with a low torque engine like the 1.2 in question. But all manufacturer's claims should be taken with a pinch of salt due to it's past record and a 6 month gestation period is advisable.

Awesome review Avi- by far the best to date on TBHP! the ride height seems to be raised on this one, which although is a good thing for India, is the complete antithesis of what a hot hatch should have.

This has the makings of a good car if that DSG box holds up well over time. im gonna follow this one closely, as it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrapunto (Post 3105707)
BHPian Hayek was hoping VW will introduce the 10 year warranty with the Polo 1.2 TSI, but obviously, looks like they will not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 3105745)
Very subjective take on the car and the brand. My Polo is 3 years old and it is yet to face even a minor complaint, forget breakdown.

From VW website it looks like they offer 2 yrs warranty + 2yrs extended warranty. Does this mean that they cover all risks associated with the DSG for 4 yrs ? or can they still find a way out and ask the customer to pay in case there is a DSG failure within the warranty period ?

just encountered this thread and changed my buying decision (getz replacement) from the i20 auto to this.

my criteria was simple - premium hatchback + auto gearbox + diesel or petrol irrelevant. until now hyundai i20 seemed to be the ONLY option but parents were kind of wary of another hyundai to replace the hyundai. now the VW comes as a breath of fresh air. looking forward to owning one soon.

The autocar video review of Polo GT. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riSMAPwTwYA