Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-493.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 5841444)
For some cars it is hard to fix an exact price range. If you take something like say a Creta, which has sold in massive numbers and availability in the used car market is also high, prices will mostly be standard based on year, km and location.

Something like the GT TSI was a much loved car and relatively a low volume car. It is also a model that people don't easily let go off and hence is generally in good demand in the used car market. Even today, from an engine + gearbox combo, there is probably nothing that matches the pleasure of this car. Finally it is a mod friendly car and there is no limit to the modifications you can do on it. The only real thing to worry about is the DQ200 DSG Failure.

Long story short, all this means that owners can ask hefty premiums and more often than not, if it is a well maintained car, they will get what is asked. Your experience also indicates that. Random check on Carwale is showing 2017,18,19 cars listed at 7-9 Lakhs, which is insane-But I think there are buyers for this car at such high prices also. So I guess you need to wait and watch to get a right deal or be ready for paying a premium which may not be logical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancham (Post 5841498)
I am/was in the market too. The range in NCR is 5.5 - 6.5 for 2017 /18 cars. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Maybe not. But it seems when the car was available nobody bought it (relatively speaking) and now that they have stopped selling it everyone wants it. I have, kind of, given up searching for one given the pricing.

Good points. I was expecting a premium, both based on the merits of the car itself as well as the generally inflated used car market prices but I wasn't prepared for just how much higher it would be. For example two of the cars I was interested in that go sold before I could even take a look :

1) 2017 model 25k run : Asking price was 7.75L. Sold for asking price. I would have thought that 6.5 or max 7 was a good price

2) 2019 model 50k run : Asking price 7L. It was being sold by the 3rd owner and I would have been the 4th !! Sold for 6.8L. I would have offered 5.5-6L. I only considered it for two reasons. Newer car means I could keep it longer until registration expires in case Maharashtra also starts cancelling registration post 15 years and also the possibility of getting a more realistic price because of the three previous owners. It doesn't have to mean that the car is bad just because it has changed hands several times or it might even be something that can be fixed without much headache if you are smart about it

Are the prices I considered offering for the cars really lowball ? It seems like I need to increase my budget (by cutting down on planned mods :crying) but mainly I'm unhappy about the time pressure aspect of buying the car. I don't want to make a mistaken purchase due to "FOMO".

Can current owners tell me what the upper limit of kms run should be. Im ideally expecting something in the 50k range but can stretch to 60-65k km but then the price definitely needs to be right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortis (Post 5841658)
Can current owners tell me what the upper limit of kms run should be. Im ideally expecting something in the 50k range but can stretch to 60-65k km but then the price definitely needs to be right.

Mine's at 80k and 9.5 years but as good as ever. It just depends how was the car kept, service record doesn't matter, but then its very difficult to know the truth.

Honestly milage doesn't matter as much as the type of usage. E.g. central city drives kill the gearbox and engine more, highways may kill the suspension. The suspension is fixable but not worn-out DQ200. Also, when you drive this little car with 4 people and luggage, that's more drain than office commutes.