Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-488.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apolo4409 (Post 5704296)
As a fellow owner, I urge you to please have the sensor changed ASAP. I just went through this on mine and it’s a miracle I am still here to tell the tale considering how badly it could have ended. Without ABS, a sudden brake for whatever reason can lead to all 4 wheels locking up and turning the car into an uncontrolled 1-1.5 ton metal block. ABS is extremely crucial in our roads where every second there is a surprise waiting for us in the form of a distracted jaywalker, stray cattle and pets, distracted drivers and the worst of all, the energy conserving folk who refuses to either turn on or fix their taillights and headlights before going on a journey at night on roads without street lights.

Given yours is a DSG, there is also the other issue where the gearbox relies on your speed sensor to decide gears and the ECU will use the data as well. Had a horrible experience with the speed sensor out in a DSG vento, the car will accelerate and decelerate on its own against driver input. The cause was the speed sensor being faulty. Each erratic response coincided with the speedometer needle going all over the place.

While I am not a VW mechanic, from experience I believe the speedometer and ECU rely on the front sensors for the speed data while the rear 2 sensors are just for ABS. So if you are not seeing the erratic behavior it’s probably the rear sensor.

As for the cause of this, it can be anything from a water ingress to bad luck. The newer sensors are said to be more reliable but it’s yet to be seen.

I had not ever imagined that the sensors are so important and providing a feedback loop regarding the vehicle speed and can have disasterous effects.

No doubt irksome, I have now had all four sensors changed. Now all are under warranty.

I hope I dont have to go to the ASC till the next annual service which is 8 months away

I have a Polo GT TSI of mid 2018 vintage which has clocked 32000km . It has been self driven and routinely serviced at the VW ASC at Ram Mandir.

I have changed the battery once but the original tyres are still doing service , with perhaps once or two incidence of punctures in all the tyres. I have had the punctures tended using the proper 'mushroom patch' rather than the quickie method of putting in a rope like substance from outside.

The paintwork has had a few nicks and scratches which have been touched up.The car looks pretty good.

I use the car sparingly as it is not our primary vehicle. It runs only about 400 km a month .

The question in my mind is , how long should I continue using this vehicle? Lovely , as the car is, it will not appreciate with time . Also the insurance and annual service costs 40 /50K annually. Sooner or later I will change the tyres which would be roughly another 32K .

Sparing as my usage is , maintenance costs will only rise as time passes.

If I sell now, I may get 6.5 L for it ( perhaps, going by the prices I see on FB market place) Or should I hold on to the vehicle for another 3 years after which it may sell for 3 or 4 lakhs ?

Have I reached break even point or should I allow heart to rule over the head?

Also I dont know of any vehicle which can replace the Polo GT TSI and at a cost as reasonable as what I had paid for it .

Just some randon thoughts ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Head (Post 5704507)
I have a Polo GT TSI of mid 2018 vintage which has clocked 32000km . It has been self driven and routinely serviced at the VW ASC at Ram Mandir.

I have changed the battery once but the original tyres are still doing service , with perhaps once or two incidence of punctures in all the tyres. I have had the punctures tended using the proper 'mushroom patch' rather than the quickie method of putting in a rope like substance from outside.

The paintwork has had a few nicks and scratches which have been touched up.The car looks pretty good.

I use the car sparingly as it is not our primary vehicle. It runs only about 400 km a month .

The question in my mind is , how long should I continue using this vehicle? Lovely , as the car is, it will not appreciate with time . Also the insurance and annual service costs 40 /50K annually. Sooner or later I will change the tyres which would be roughly another 32K .

Sparing as my usage is , maintenance costs will only rise as time passes.

If I sell now, I may get 6.5 L for it ( perhaps, going by the prices I see on FB market place) Or should I hold on to the vehicle for another 3 years after which it may sell for 3 or 4 lakhs ?

Have I reached break even point or should I allow heart to rule over the head?

Also I dont know of any vehicle which can replace the Polo GT TSI and at a cost as reasonable as what I had paid for it .

Just some randon thoughts ......

32000 km is nothing. Please don't sell your GT TSI. Truth be told there is no hatchback out there that can match the car in terms of pure analog fun.

New car prices are also through the roof and you will get nothing in the price point that you paid for the Polo that will excite you. You will definitely have to shell out substantially more money.

Keep the car and enjoy it for as long as you can. Timely service and even tyre change will work out cheaper in the long run than getting a new car.

I have a 2016 GT TSI that has clocked almost 38000 km in the last 7 years. Usage has gone down considerably after the Thar came home, but I will be holding onto it till it turns 10 years old minimum.

Many people have asked me if I want to sell but I have politely rejected the requests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 5704561)
32000 km is nothing. Please don't sell your GT TSI. Truth be told there is no hatchback out there that can match the car in terms of pure analog fun.

New car prices are also through the roof and you will get nothing in the price point that you paid for the Polo that will excite you. You will definitely have to shell out substantially more money.

Keep the car and enjoy it for as long as you can. Timely service and even tyre change will work out cheaper in the long run than getting a new car.

I have a 2016 GT TSI that has clocked almost 38000 km in the last 7 years. Usage has gone down considerably after the Thar came home, but I will be holding onto it till it turns 10 years old minimum.

Many people have asked me if I want to sell but I have politely rejected the requests.

Sound advice Sir , thank you Dippy .

I think vehicle manufacturers are duty bound to render spares availability and service for 15 years ?

Always drive as if you don't have abs etc. It is for emergencies, not for pushing the car harder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Head (Post 5704507)

32k and 5 years is nothing and most importantly getting a vehicle that can replace it is quite hard. So hold on to it. You will not have much issues with spares as there is a huge aftermarket network for this car and the biggest risk component-the DQ200 DSG is same as the one currently doing duty in the Slavia/Virtus/Taigun/Kushaq

My Vento TSI is into it's 11th year 85k km and I have no intention of selling. It has aged really well and maintenance also has not greatly increased in any way.

I have faced the ABS issue on both my GT TDI and TSI but thankfully it was within warranty, don’t ignore this even if usage is low as I have done the same and have faced issues with braking performance with the pedal feel becoming similar to stepping on a stone at times that too at low speeds.

Another problem is that like some others have pointed out when one wheel sensor fails eventually the others will too however last time when it happened to me which was maybe a year and half ago the SA informed me that they now have a new batch of sensors which will rectify this issue and installed that on all wheels post which i have not had any problems even though my car is lowered and runs on upsized tyres (also it might be because my usage now is mostly on highways so better roads but previously used to take it to some rural broken patches of roads).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Head (Post 5704568)
Sound advice Sir , thank you Dippy .

I think vehicle manufacturers are duty bound to render spares availability and service for 15 years ?

Yes sir. And do not worry. Polo spares are available aplenty in the open market and can also be sourced easily from abroad as the Polo we had was a global model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VwRabbit (Post 5704691)
I have faced the ABS issue on both my GT TDI and TSI but thankfully it was within warranty, don’t ignore this even if usage is low as I have done the same and have faced issues with braking performance with the pedal feel becoming similar to stepping on a stone at times that too at low speeds.

Another problem is that like some others have pointed out when one wheel sensor fails eventually the others will too however last time when it happened to me which was maybe a year and half ago the SA informed me that they now have a new batch of sensors which will rectify this issue and installed that on all wheels post which i have not had any problems even though my car is lowered and runs on upsized tyres (also it might be because my usage now is mostly on highways so better roads but previously used to take it to some rural broken patches of roads).

Yes , its perplexing that when one sensor fails , the others also tend to subsequently fail. Hence , the SA strongly advised that I should change all 4 at the same time, it cost me around 15K but hopefully for some time, I will be free from future failures and now all are under warranty

I don't see the point in replacing all four because one had gone. I think the SA just wants to make the sale.

It's not like the others will fail soon: might be a week, might be a yea, might be ten years. Not predictable. So replacing working sensors is just a waste of sensor life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VwRabbit (Post 5704691)
Another problem is that like some others have pointed out when one wheel sensor fails eventually the others will too

This seems to just mean that they all have finite lives, and one has to be the first to go. I'm scratching my head, maybe I've missed something in the logic: that happens!

Anyway, another of mine currently being replaced. 4,800 ex taxes seems to be current price.

Getting a sound from the engine compartment - its a soft rattling sound which is happening when ever the engine is on, car either standing still or in motion. The car is otherwise behaving normally.
With Mumbai traffic, it is rather time consuming to take it to the ASC . Has anyone had a similar issue ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Head (Post 5707039)
a soft rattling sound

Could be the internal ventilation fan? Try turning it on and off.

Mine has been annoying me for years. I want it fixed, but my FNG is really reluctant to remove the dashboard unless really needed, so I'm just beginning another year of it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5707144)
Could be the internal ventilation fan? Try turning it on and off.

Mine has been annoying me for years. I want it fixed, but my FNG is really reluctant to remove the dashboard unless really needed, so I'm just beginning another year of it

If its the ventilation fan presumably which is driving the AC, it should stop when I switch off the AC. But that is not happening.
Could be the radiator fan then ?
No way out , I will have to take it to the ASC next week ,looks like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5705577)
I don't see the point in replacing all four because one had gone. I think the SA just wants to make the sale.

Yes I too think the same. On my 2nd year service (I own a 2021 1.0 highline plus MT in Mangalore) I was told that the rear left abs sensor had registered a fault code (which I hadn't noticed) and that it would be covered under warranty (but they didn't have the part with them so I collected the car without getting the abs rectified)

Later on the abs light came on and stayed on for the most part. Got it rectified under warranty when I got time but I doubt they replaced all 4 of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Head (Post 5676708)
I have been driving with these lights on the dash for the last one month. Perhaps my imagination but the car seems to pull a shade bit less , coasting at 50kmph the car was on D6 rather than D7.

When the ABS sensors fail, the power steering also does not work properly, and many other things don't work, right? How are you managing to drive it around?

On my 2013 GT TSI, I've never faced this issue till now. And that washing wheels stuff is rubbish. I've driven the GT through flooded roads with water lapping on the bonnet. And I live in humid Calcutta so nothing ever dries here.

However, I had ABS sensor failure on the Karoq at 1.5 years and 8k on the odo. Never had it since.