Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2024, 16:15   #7291
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hi All,

Needed to get my car serviced and wanted to know how many litres of engine oil I would need to buy beforehand. I'm thinking of getting Motul 8100 Xcess, but it seems to be available only in 4L cans, would I need more than that?
Old 2nd January 2024, 16:36   #7292
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db01 View Post
Hi All,

Needed to get my car serviced and wanted to know how many litres of engine oil I would need to buy beforehand. I'm thinking of getting Motul 8100 Xcess, but it seems to be available only in 4L cans, would I need more than that?
1.2TSI, takes about 3.8L. My last service, they put in 4L, and its been ok so far!
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:37   #7293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
1.2TSI, takes about 3.8L. My last service, they put in 4L, and its been ok so far!
Thanks, will go ahead and buy a 4L can then
Old 2nd January 2024, 23:44   #7294
Distinguished - BHPian

General advice is not to overfill. So don't just pour the lot in.

Either measure or repeatedly check dipstick, remembering that maximum level is maximum level, not the level to be maintained.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:56   #7295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post

The Taigun/Virtus/Kushaq/Slavia are the only real alternatives to the Polo. Everything else non German misses on some or the aspect for me, the Japanese and Koreans miss out on safety. The Indian marks miss out on consistency of performance.

Do you think Verna might be an exception here? I'm not into Hyundai cars but Verna's ncap results surprised me pleasantly. Verna may not be a best handler, but offers 6 airbags in all variants.
Old 10th January 2024, 11:16   #7296
BANNED

Quote:
The Taigun/Virtus/ Kushaq/Slavia are the only real alternatives to the Polo. Everything else non German misses on some or the aspect for me, the Japanese and Koreans miss out on safety. The Indian marks miss out on consistency of performance.
I completely agree. After test-driving several cars including the Harrier, Scorpio N, XUV7OO, Honda City, Kushaq, Taigun, Virtus, and Slavia, I finally decided to go for the Slavia as it seemed to be the best option. Although I initially didn't plan on buying a Volkswagen again, I have ended up buying skoda.
Polo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:36   #7297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Do you think Verna might be an exception here? I'm not into Hyundai cars but Verna's ncap results surprised me pleasantly. Verna may not be a best handler, but offers 6 airbags in all variants.
The new Verna is a curveball. I haven't driven it yet, so basing this on reviews.

Great power on paper, Hyundai DCT is not the best. Has tonnes of gimmicks and features. The softer suspension is actually not bad for someone who doesn't push the car.

The deal breaker for me is
1. the locked nature of the TCU with regards to remaps as stock map is very conservative even when compared to the DQ200 in my Polo.
2. Headlamps in the bumpers. I don't know why this trend is popular now but for someone from Delhi NCR, I don't want to risk damage to my lamps in case of a minor fender bender .

Though for the average driver it's a great car. Finally a decently SAFETY rated car from Hyundai. I just wish they did the same with creta/seltos given the price and numbers those cars sell in
hellraiser_yank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 13:57   #7298
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I would advise to stay away from TVS hardware for your Polo.

The options I would suggest are-
1. Standard size non TVS OEM disc + stock pads ( if car is on standard tune and no performance mods)
2. Brembo or other aftermarket disc + stock pads
3. Same as option 2 but with aftermarket high performance pads
4. 288mm or 310mm big brake kit OEM ATE make ( for a car running a higher state of tune, con will be that unsprung mass will increase and steering will get heavier)
5. Same as option 4 but with aftermarket high performance parts

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.
yes bro, you are right. after reading around a bit more and watching this subject on youtube, here's my summary...

road use : vented stock disks + stock pads
road use + spirited driving : vented disc + semi metallic/ceramic pads
road use + tracks days : slotted + ceramic pads

from your suggestion i'm goin with option number 3 with a combination of Brembo Vented + EBC Ultimax2 or Brembo Blacks

got in touch with motrparts and some other dealers mostly seem to be in south but no stock of EBC ultimax2 so going with Brembo black pads.

sadly brembo vented around 6700 is also out of stock and i dont so now i have to go for another vented. amongst Rane/Bosch/Meyle which one do you suggest ? these are around 1900 on bodmo ? would they be as good as the vented brembo ? the next brembo options are drilled/slotted at 11000 which i believe will be overkill for my scenario.

thanks.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 11th January 2024 at 13:58.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 18:39   #7299
BHPian

Edit: Rs. 8250-9000 quoted for vented Brembo disc

At 3 to 4 times the price of other discs at Boodmo will the Brembo vented disc be that much better or is it more prudent to go with Rs. 1500-2500 disc options from Boodmo + Brembo pads?

Also, is there any trusted dealer for Brembo/EBC in Delhi-NCR?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th January 2024 at 21:39. Reason: Grammar
rana_kirti is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th January 2024, 17:58   #7300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
1. I have always used pain rotors only.

2. The rotors started warping after around 16k by which time the pads had 50 percent life left. However, by the next 5k the pads were totally gone. I guess the warped rotors played a part here.

3. Yes, currently it's Brembo's plain rotors with the red pads.

The black has a softer compound resulting in better braking but the down side being that they tend to wear out faster as well. However, for the kind of braking it offered me, I think I will go back to that setup again sooner than later. Contemplating the same setup for my Polo as well, even though Polo gets to see the highway rarely.
could you please confirm the part numbers and dealer details from whom to buy. thank you.
Old 16th January 2024, 21:34   #7301
BHPian

Question for Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG owners. I saw some video on YouTube which said the newer models - I think he said 2015-16 and later do not suffer from DSG issues like the earlier crop of cars. Would like some clarity on it.

What things should I be looking at when picking up a used Tsi 1.2 dsg model?

Last edited by johy : 16th January 2024 at 21:35.
Old 16th January 2024, 21:38   #7302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Question for Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG owners. I saw some video on YouTube which said the newer models - I think he said 2015-16 and later do not suffer from DSG issues like the earlier crop of cars. Would like some clarity on it.
Dsq DQ200 has had 3 generations so far. AFAIK 2015 onwards was gen 2 also software revisions. I had a DQ200 gen 1 in my 2014 Vento TSI, have gen2 in my 2017 GT TSI. My Vento had a world of issues. Polo not so much despite launches, TCU flash and aggressive shifting with the paddles.

The current Slavia, Kushaq, Taigun, virtus, Octavia,t-roc, superb all have gen 3 dq200.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 16:19   #7303
BHPian

Quote:
Dsq DQ200 has had 3 generations so far. AFAIK 2015 onwards was gen 2 also software revisions. I had a DQ200 gen 1 in my 2014 Vento TSI, have gen2 in my 2017 GT TSI. My Vento had a world of issues. Polo not so much despite launches, TCU flash and aggressive shifting with the paddles.

The current Slavia, Kushaq, Taigun, virtus, Octavia,t-roc, superb all have gen 3 dq200.
Just a correction, new Superb from 2020 onwards has the 2.0 engine without the DQ200. the Superb till 2020 with the 1.8 engine is a DQ200.
Old 19th January 2024, 12:38   #7304
BHPian

Quote:
I think one of the main reason for the improvement in reliability is the switch from Synthetic to Mineral transmission oil. Although yes, general improvements in other factors plays a role as well.

Quote:
What things should I be looking at when picking up a used Tsi 1.2 dsg model?
  • One of the first things you can test is the creep function of the car. After setting it to D, the car should slowly start to move forward without trouble. The creep function in DSG's are no were as aggressive as that in a torque convertor, so you should not have that as a benchmark to compare to.
  • Go through all gears if possible. Drive it in regular D mode, S mode, and the semi manual, and check for any jerks between the shifts. A slight jerk between D2-D3 during downshifts is kind of expected, so that's nothing to worry about.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 11:45   #7305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Hello BHPians

The Engineer in me tells me to get it fixed but the Finance guy says that it is a needless expense as I am not taking the car out anywhere beyond 30km radius of Powai.
As a fellow owner, I urge you to please have the sensor changed ASAP. I just went through this on mine and it’s a miracle I am still here to tell the tale considering how badly it could have ended. Without ABS, a sudden brake for whatever reason can lead to all 4 wheels locking up and turning the car into an uncontrolled 1-1.5 ton metal block. ABS is extremely crucial in our roads where every second there is a surprise waiting for us in the form of a distracted jaywalker, stray cattle and pets, distracted drivers and the worst of all, the energy conserving folk who refuses to either turn on or fix their taillights and headlights before going on a journey at night on roads without street lights.

Given yours is a DSG, there is also the other issue where the gearbox relies on your speed sensor to decide gears and the ECU will use the data as well. Had a horrible experience with the speed sensor out in a DSG vento, the car will accelerate and decelerate on its own against driver input. The cause was the speed sensor being faulty. Each erratic response coincided with the speedometer needle going all over the place.

While I am not a VW mechanic, from experience I believe the speedometer and ECU rely on the front sensors for the speed data while the rear 2 sensors are just for ABS. So if you are not seeing the erratic behavior it’s probably the rear sensor.

As for the cause of this, it can be anything from a water ingress to bad luck. The newer sensors are said to be more reliable but it’s yet to be seen.
Apolo4409 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks