Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 00:01   #6061

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hello guys,

First post on T-BHP. I'm getting my polo GT TSI delivered next week and wanted some insights on tyre upgrades. I see that a lot of people have mentioned that the 16" wheels have done more harm than good. Having said that, what would be better - Going for the same stock size 195/55/R16 but a better brand like Conti/Yoko Blu earth or upsizing to 205/55/R16?

The Tyre dealer has agreed to take the stock tyres for a good price and I wouldn't be shelling out a lot if I have it changed as soon as taking delivery of the car.

Thanks!
YashGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:44   #6062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The reason for Graaja's coilovers causing problems were the shocks themselves I believe. The crappy gabriels are already prone to leaking under normal usage, and pairing them with coilovers shortened their life even further.

If you do opt for quality dampers and pair them with coilovers, I don't see any issues in terms of longevity. Coming to the ride comfort, it might take a hit and become even stiffer at low speeds although you will get a car that sits low and looks better. Depends on personal preference. I would prefer to just swap the shocks to Sachs and then judge whether to invest in coilovers.
Hey, I'm not sure if that is correct.

From my understanding and research, this is what I've learned:

1) Dampers - just the struts without the springs.

2) Springs - just the spring-component of the suspension setup, meant to deal with rebound. Pairing just springs (lowering springs like Eibach's pro-kit, will shorten the life of the dampers and compromise ride quality)

2) Coilovers - dampers + springs engineered together, often adjustable for ride height and in the case of the Street Comforts, adjustable for damping as well, albeit san rebound adjustability.

Graaja's KW Street Comforts are coilovers I.e. KW engineered dampers + KW springs. The Street Comforts also come equipped with damping and height adjustability - something you cannot do on stock dampers or stock springs.

So Graaja's stock Gabriel dampers and springs were removed and the entire setup including the springs was replaced with KWs.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 21:23   #6063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Is there something that gives the best of both worlds?
I was keen on the street comforts by KW. But I just saw that @graaja had to return to stock because of some leak on the KWs. I was disappointed to learn this to say the least.
KW coilovers are quite reliable. I know a few people who have KW's running without any issues. Mine should be a rare occurence. Having said that, though it was out of warranty, KW is replacing it under goodwill. Racetech, their dealers are very customer friendly and they got the warranty replacement arranged from KW. I am yet to receive the replacement struts. But I am quite satisfied with their after sales support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

2) Springs - just the spring-component of the suspension setup, meant to deal with rebound. Pairing just springs (lowering springs like Eibach's pro-kit, will shorten the life of the dampers and compromise ride quality)

2) Coilovers - dampers + springs engineered together, often adjustable for ride height and in the case of the Street Comforts, adjustable for damping as well, albeit san rebound adjustability.
So Graaja's stock Gabriel dampers and springs were removed and the entire setup including the springs was replaced with KWs.
Quote:
The reason for Graaja's coilovers causing problems were the shocks themselves I believe. The crappy gabriels are already prone to leaking under normal usage, and pairing them with coilovers shortened their life even further.
Suhaas explained it perfectly. Coilovers are both springs and struts designed to work together. So, I had removed both the OE springs and struts (also known as shocks, dampers etc.) and installed the KW coilovers that came as spring+strut pairs.
graaja is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 10:19   #6064
BANNED

Guys, I made an enquiry for Polo TSI, it has a waiting period of 6 months. Is this thing getting discontinued? Why such a long waiting period? No test drive cars available either!
Old 15th June 2019, 14:52   #6065
BHPian

I recently saw a Polo on test in Jodhpur bearing MH TC plates. It had a revised front and rear bumper. Those are the only changes I could notice while on the road. It is possible that they might be launching a refreshed design.
Old 15th June 2019, 16:19   #6066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Guys, I made an enquiry for Polo TSI, it has a waiting period of 6 months. Is this thing getting discontinued? Why such a long waiting period? No test drive cars available either!
I had a test drive of the Polo GT TSI on 13 June 2019 and the sales advisor wasn't sure of an update/refresh coming anytime soon. I am not sure but maybe it could be their sales ploy to say as such so that I dont defer my decision until the update arrives.

With the current model, I was promised delivery of the Lapiz blue in about 45days, the White one in about 10days and immediate delivery of the Red one barring RTO work. This is in Chennai.
vijay.sundar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 23:45   #6067
BHPian

Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension. I ve booked a GT TSI and waiting for its delivery some time in August. It is going to replace my magic carpet, slow but ultra comfortable S cross. The roads in Cochin are pathetic to say the least. I would like to get insight on polo suspension on bad patches of roads around cochin. Any GT owner out there from Cochin, who can help. And I would like to get opinion on D2 racing coilovers and Eibach suspension which Code 6 garage has recommended for the polo to be used in our sort of conditions.
Should I withhold the purchase? Practically spending sleepless nights on this decision.
Old 16th June 2019, 00:17   #6068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hey, I'm not sure if that is correct.

From my understanding and research, this is what I've learned:

Graaja's KW Street Comforts are coilovers I.e. KW engineered dampers + KW springs. The Street Comforts also come equipped with damping and height adjustability - something you cannot do on stock dampers or stock springs.

Yup. Thanks for the correction. You always get to learn something new everyday on this forum.

Have to say though, that Volkswagen doesn't know how to localise parts effectively at all. My Volkswagen Jetta has done 65K km on stock suspension and the only thing I have changed are the bump stops on top of the dampers. Same goes for the rotors. My brake pads should last 70K km and the rotors can be skimmed and used again according to my S.A.

Even early Polos and Ventos didn't report any such issues with brakes or strut leaks.
Old 16th June 2019, 00:38   #6069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension. ...
Why? I'm not aware that it has been a big thing in Polo coverage and experience here.

Folks, what is the difference between the GT setup and the other Polo cars? Is there any? My ownership of another Polo is too long ago now to make any reliable comparison, but I have an impression that the GT (I have a TDI) is harder on the road, But isn't that natural? Isn't it set up for the slightly larger dose of performance that it comes with?
Old 16th June 2019, 00:39   #6070

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
I had a test drive of the Polo GT TSI on 13 June 2019 and the sales advisor wasn't sure of an update/refresh coming anytime soon. I am not sure but maybe it could be their sales ploy to say as such so that I dont defer my decision until the update arrives.

With the current model, I was promised delivery of the Lapiz blue in about 45days, the White one in about 10days and immediate delivery of the Red one barring RTO work. This is in Chennai.
Which showroom was this? KUN or Sundaram? I had to wait for a month for my white GT which is getting delivered this week. I was told blue was readily available about a month ago but I wasn't fond of the colour.

Quote:
6 months is a lot. I booked mine last month and I was given a waiting period of 1 - 2 months depending on the colour and I had asked in both the VW dealers in Chennai. Even my sales guy wasn't aware of any immediate facelifts on the GT. I would wanna kill myself if they do release one with DRLs and projector headlamps though. But, he said on the vento highline+ which comes with projector headlamps costs almost a lac over the regular highline. Adding the projector on to the GT will take it's on-road price above 12 lacs which wouldn't be ideal because at the end of the day, it's a hatch which can't even seat 4 people comfortably (the rear bench is way too cramped).
YashGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 02:36   #6071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension.

And I would like to get opinion on D2 racing coilovers and Eibach suspension which Code 6 garage has recommended for the polo to be used in our sort of conditions.

Should I withhold the purchase? Practically spending sleepless nights on this decision.
I am at wits end about my suspension setu also, and I have overhauled it once after I found all struts to be leaking and several parts worn prematurely.

Note that if you are getting coilovers, do change some of the other parts as well. Get better link rods, ball joints, mounts, bushes, etc. It will not only improve your driving experience, but also ensure longevity - because I strongly suspect that many components are of inferior quality and the stiffer coilovers may have an adverse impact on these components as well. My mechanic hooked me up with some high quality OEM replacement links and ball joints and the driving experience has improved drastically.

Quote:
Have to say though, that Volkswagen doesn't know how to localise parts effectively at all.

Even early Polos and Ventos didn't report any such issues with brakes or strut leaks.
It's true.

I've driven a friends Polo 1.6 (6R) and it's still on its stock dampers. It rides beautifully even after 80k on the ODO.

Something went horribly wrong after 2014 and things took a turn for the worse, with the advent of localization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why? I'm not aware that it has been a big thing in Polo coverage and experience here.

Folks, what is the difference between the GT setup and the other Polo cars? Is there any? My ownership of another Polo is too long ago now to make any reliable comparison, but I have an impression that the GT (I have a TDI) is harder on the road, But isn't that natural? Isn't it set up for the slightly larger dose of performance that it comes with?
From my experience, I see no real difference in the suspension or brakes between the 1.2 MPI and the 1.2 TSI / TDI GT twins. They run the same setup for all their cars, does VW, unlike say Ford that has taken the effort to equip the S models of the erstwhile Fiesta and the new Figos with a sportier setup.

VW would have done well to provide the GTs with at least the Euro spec setup for better handling characteristics. But alas..

Heck, even Tata has tweaked regular Tiago's suspension to suit the character and profile of the JTP version.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th June 2019 at 02:39.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 09:32   #6072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
The sales advisor wasn't sure of an update/refresh coming anytime soon. I am not sure but maybe it could be their sales ploy to say. I was promised delivery of the Lapiz blue in about 45days, the White one in about 10days and immediate delivery of the Red one barring RTO work. This is in Chennai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashGT View Post
6 months is a lot. I booked mine last month and I was given a waiting period of 1 - 2 months depending on the colour and I had asked in both the VW dealers in Chennai.
Thanks guys. I inquired at all showrooms across Kerala and the response is same. No test drive cars available and waiting period of 6-8 months. Unless they are making TSI by hand, I'm not waiting for such an elusive car. I have decided to move on to a used TSI or to newer cars. In my 2 decades of owning cars two manufacturers were having such callous attitude, one is Ford and the other VAG.

I would be surprised if I see these brands staying in India by 2025! The way MG and Kia are trying to impress the customers, these two laggards are looking for inevitable end. Hope some lessons can be learned, something positive out of such negative stories. Beautiful, driver centric cars being let down by shoddy management
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 10:19   #6073
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I inquired at all showrooms across Kerala and the response is same. No test drive cars available and waiting period of 6-8 months.

While I was at the service centre yesterday in TN, I checked with the availability and facelift for the GT TSI in the pipeline. The person in charge of sales said that the waiting period is said to be around 2 months, but deliveries have been made in about 45 days, It is strange that Kerala seems to have a shortage of supply. You could talk to dealers in TN and have them find a way to have it delivered and registered in KL.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 16:26   #6074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless they are making TSI by hand, I'm not waiting for such an elusive car. I have decided to move on to a used TSI or to newer cars.
The reason as quoted by a known person in one of the dealerships is due to the vendor supplying the DSG gearboxes not being able to meet the required numbers. This will be the situation till about Aug or Sept after which it should be "smooth sailing" as per him. The waiting period is 2-3 months as quoted by dealers pan India but they manage to deliver white cars in about 45 days.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 17:59   #6075
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I inquired at all showrooms across Kerala and the response is same. No test drive cars available and waiting period of 6-8 months. Unless they are making TSI by hand, I'm not waiting for such an elusive car.
Hey if you're willing to take delivery from Kottayam, you'll be in luck. My friend booked his GT in Kottayam last week and he's assured of delivery in 45 days max. This is for the white. Lapiz blue and Red could be a little longer I think.

Last edited by kraken : 17th June 2019 at 18:00. Reason: Formatting error.
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks