Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2019, 09:37   #5986
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
My recommendation would be Yoko Earth 1s 195/55/R16. Have been using these for almost 3 years now. HIGHLY recommended. If you're lucky there are a few dealers who even let you put them on and go for a small test drive. Keep them on and pay the bill if you're satisfied. I have recommended these to 2-3 BHPians as well now, none of them were disappointed.
I agree. I'm on my second set of Yokohama Earth 1s. Definitely a good buy.

All the details here (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)).
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:41   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I agree. I'm on my second set of Yokohama Earth 1s. Definitely a good buy.

All the details here (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)).
Would anyone here recommend Michelin XM2's?
195/55R16 87V
Old 22nd May 2019, 15:37   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
195/55R16 87V

I upgraded to Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55 R16. The tyres are really nice and one can feel considerable difference in ride quality on both low and high speeds. The only downside is steering movement is a bit stiff at standstill but then it is not advisable to do that.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 19:22   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
195/55R16 87V
I'm sure a lot of people will. It has been one of the most popular tyres amongst TBHPians for a good while now.

EDIT: A few helpful posts on the last page of the discussion thread (Michelin XM2 Tyres in India)

Last edited by Viraat13 : 22nd May 2019 at 19:25.
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:55   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
195/55R16 87V
I would certainly recommend. I have used it for ten years in my older car, of course not same piece for ten years. It is quiet and comfortable. It is soft, so there is trade off in terms of durability.

For my newer car I stuck to same brand but different model: Primacy ST3.
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:21   #5991
BHPian

Okay TBHPians I need your help. My 2013 i20 diesel is aging and it being Era model feels like bare bones now.
I am contemplating on buying a Polo GT TSI pre-owned. On searching I got two options.

1 - 2014 Dec manufactured, with 16000 km on odo which is with a dealer.
2 - 2015 manufactured with 32000 km on board directly from a owner.

Both are available at almost same price. I haven't tested both cars yet. Would be testing the 2014 one with the dealer this weekend. If it is good I would consider this one. If not I would have a look at the 2015 one, but it's a 5 hour drive for me to the location.
- I need to know is there any difference between the 2014 manufactured and 2015 manufactured?
- which is a better option? 2014 with less km on odo or 2015 manufactured with more km on odo? (I would be checking the service records with VW for both)

Is the Polo a good buy and what all should I look for in both these cars?
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:01   #5992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I would certainly recommend. I have used it for ten years in my older car, of course not same piece for ten years. It is quiet and comfortable. It is soft, so there is trade off in terms of durability.

For my newer car I stuck to same brand but different model: Primacy ST3.
Thanks but the Primacy ST3's are only available in 195/60 and not 195/55. The increase in Diameter is over 3% and hence I am not inclined to go with them.
Old 23rd May 2019, 14:25   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Okay TBHPians I need your help. My 2013 i20 diesel is aging and it being Era model feels like bare bones now.
I am contemplating on buying a Polo GT TSI pre-owned. On searching I got two options.

1 - 2014 Dec manufactured, with 16000 km on odo which is with a dealer.
2 - 2015 manufactured with 32000 km on board directly from a owner.

Both are available at almost same price. I haven't tested both cars yet. Would be testing the 2014 one with the dealer this weekend. If it is good I would consider this one. If not I would have a look at the 2015 one, but it's a 5 hour drive for me to the location.
- I need to know is there any difference between the 2014 manufactured and 2015 manufactured?
- which is a better option? 2014 with less km on odo or 2015 manufactured with more km on odo? (I would be checking the service records with VW for both)

Is the Polo a good buy and what all should I look for in both these cars?
If you're talking about bare bones feature wise, things won't be much better in the GT TSI either.

2015 was a newer model year, with a different steering (with steering mounted controls), MID, and some other things.

32000 km isn't particularly high mileage, but try and get a car within warranty. I bought mine pre-owned too, but already have had warranty work of INR 25,000 done in the 7 months/10,000 km of ownership.
Old 23rd May 2019, 14:35   #5994
BHPian

Quote:
If you're talking about bare bones feature wise, things won't be much better in the GT TSI either.

2015 was a newer model year, with a different steering (with steering mounted controls), MID, and some other things.

32000 km isn't particularly high mileage, but try and get a car within warranty. I bought mine pre-owned too, but already have had warranty work of INR 25,000 done in the 7 months/10,000 km of ownership.
Barebones - no factory installed stereo, ABS, airbags, MID, steering controls, Electric ORVM etc. nothing at all. It's an era model.

Both 2014 model and 2015 model have steering mounted controls, MID. Just can't figure out the difference. None of them are having warranty. Only the 2014 one is having a year of warranty from spiny not from manufacturer. Can I opt for extended warranty?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd May 2019 at 15:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improvement in readability
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:12   #5995
BHPian

Quote:
Barebones - no factory installed stereo, ABS, airbags, MID, steering controls, Electric ORVM etc. nothing at all. It's an era model.

Both 2014 model and 2015 model have steering mounted controls, MID. Just can't figure out the difference. None of them are having warranty. Only the 2014 one is having a year of warranty from spiny not from manufacturer. Can I opt for extended warranty?
The easiest is to see the steering. The newer ones will have a flat bottomed steering.

I believe the service centre may offer extended warranty after it has lapsed after an evaluation. However, in case there are some worn out parts etc, they will ask you to replace the same before granting the warranty. Best to drop both the cars and look for another one. Most 2015 cars will have warranty as most owners go for the +2 extended warranty by default.
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:05   #5996
BHPian

Quote:
The easiest is to see the steering. The newer ones will have a flat bottomed steering.

I believe the service centre may offer extended warranty after it has lapsed after an evaluation. However, in case there are some worn out parts etc, they will ask you to replace the same before granting the warranty. Best to drop both the cars and look for another one. Most 2015 cars will have warranty as most owners go for the +2 extended warranty by default.

Both have flat bottom and steering controls.

All options are way above my budget. The 2015 model owner did not take the extended warranty. Let me DM you.
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:14   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
I'd go for the 2015 model even though it has more on the odo because VW has been constantly ironing out issues from their DSG - so the newer the merrier and the more peace of mind you get, more so as the cars are out of warranty. And 32,000 kms is not high for a 2015 car anyway.
kubectl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 08:51   #5998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
I'd go for the 2015 model even though it has more on the odo because VW has been constantly ironing out issues from their DSG - so the newer the merrier and the more peace of mind you get, more so as the cars are out of warranty. And 32,000 kms is not high for a 2015 car anyway.

Got the internal records of the 2015 model. Found it had a major frontal impact. Striked our this one as well now. It's the first time I am buying a used car. Seeing the cars that are available I think it is not a good idea.
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 19:47   #5999
anb
BHPian

Quote:

I'd suggest you go for 2015 model, simply because you can have extended warranty for one more year which crucial for a car equipped with DQ200.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:26   #6000
BHPian

Took possession of my new GT TSI yesterday. Initial thoughts as below.

Ergonomics: The cockpit feels cramped coming from a Figo. The smaller windshield with higher rake angle and shorter dashboard provides little shade from the Hyderabad summer sun. Although the AC is cold, the comfort factor is lower due to more direct sunlight on front occupants. The Figo has an longer dashboard (shorter bonnet) and provides more shade. Also, the IRVM is closer to the face and obstructs more of front visibility. The lower overall cabin height results in a lower seating position with lesser comfort. I am only comparing with the Ford Figo, and please note all of the above might be subjective. The steering wheel, although leather wrapped lacks any grippiness and is not supple. Right now it feels like a dry rubber tube from a bicycle tyre. Hoping that it will improve with use or with application of leather conditioner. All in all this is not a comfortable place to be for anyone over 6 foot and above 90 Kilos. Now I have a INR 12 Lakh reason to get fitter.

Drive: Fun as ever. The only reason I went with this car, other than looks. Not yet used to the aggressive downshift to D3 when going down gentle inclines. The gears downshift as soon as foot is off the brake. This results in a perceptible jerk due to engine braking. I feel the downshift is unncessary in most scenarios involving relaxed city driving up and down inclines. In comparison the Figo would just coast on a higher gear and low revs until one started braking. Bottom line is that D mode is still too sporty for trundling around the city.

Gadgetry: The cockpit lights up like a christmas tree. Red lights all around for buttons. Is there a setting to dim the intensity? Did not spend much time with the Infotainment system other that set the clock. Apple Car Play needs a USB cable connection for first set up which I have not done yet.

Misc: After receiving the car at Jubilee Hills VW, I drove down (or is it up?) to Banjara Hills, Ministers Rd. Ashoka wheels there is my preferred tyre and wheel shop. Swapped 4 stock MRF tyres for Michelin XM2s. Price paid INR 16.8k. End result? A quieter ride and more comfortable ride. No perceptible change in steering charecteristics as the tyres are of the same size and profile.

Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7247.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7259.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7260.jpg  

keith2524 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks