Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 15:14   #5806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
Hemanth Thask you for the response. I have the 2014 Polo GT TSI which comes in the 185/60R 15 alloy spec. The Continental MC5 and the Primacy 4ST comes only in the 195 width spec. Your car probably has the newer 16 inch alloy.
Even my car has the 15" and I went ahead with the 195/60R15 which is about the perfect size fro the car IMO.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:29   #5807
Team-BHP Support

To those looking to swap tyres of their cars, allow me to weigh in:

My 2015 (April) GT TSI came fitted with MRFs and after I took delivery, I went straight to the tyre shop and swapped them out for Continental MC5s. They were relatively new back then, and they wore a very premium look. Grip was good, ride quality was good and noise levels were low too.

After driving the car for a year, I found the tyres to be on the stiffer side and I also noticed that they could take quite a beating - something I was happy with considering the awful condition of Bangalore streets.

However, I would not recommend these tyres for the Polo GT TSI, as I feel (and I may be wrong) that they've contributed to premature wear of my car's suspension at 27,000 on the odo. I say "contributed" because the suspension itself is quite substandard in terms of quality, to begin with. The stiff sidewall would perhaps transmit the broken roads to the chassis without absorbing some of it. Add bad roads to the mix, and it's a deadly cocktail.

Friendly neighbourhood moderator Ajmat also has a set of Conti MC5s on his Jetta and the tyres have served him well.

It's possible that the tyres specifically on my car are a bad set, but they haven't suffered from uneven wear and look good to last another 15k easily.

Word of caution for those looking to switch to Continental MC5s. Tread lightly. Pun not intended.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th February 2019 at 18:32.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 18:48   #5808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Word of caution for those looking to switch to Continental MC5s. Tread lightly. Pun not intended.
Even my experience with MC5 is mixed. They have very good grip and with the coilovers, the car feels as on rails in corners.

However, they are quite harsh and in bad roads at city speeds you can feel every pot hole. And the road noise after 10K kilometers has become unbearable. My car has done just 20K kilometers. The tires should run for another 10K kilomters or more. But with the very low usage (less than 5000 kilometers a year), this means I have to bear the noise for 2 more years. Hence, I am planning to change to Michelin P3STs in a couple of months.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 18:53   #5809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I just swapped to Continental MC5s from the stock MRF ZVTS 195/55R16, after one of the stock tyres was badly damaged. I have a few strange observations.

I was pretty happy with the MRF's handling and ride comfort, but braking was not really that good.

After the switch to Conti MC5s, the braking has improved. However, I feel that the steering has become too light, and that the ride has become bouncy. That is, with the MRFs at 36 psi, the car would just glide through everything (bad roads, pot holes) without any fuss.

With the MC5s, the car bounces a bit on road undulations and the car just doesn't feel that stable/solid on the tarmac. It's not really that bad, but I just feel let down on what was supposed to be an "upgrade".I am not sure if I have used the right vocabulary to explain my observations.

Right now, I am playing around with tyre pressure a bit, and I am seriously considering changing the tyres back to MRF or another harder tyre (Bridgestone MY-02, Yokohama, Apollo 4G) to get back the old stable feel of the car.

Of course, I'd appreciate any inputs as always.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 13th February 2019 at 19:03.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 18:59   #5810
Distinguished - BHPian

I had CC MC5s on my Laura and drove them for 15000km before I sold the car. Awesome tyres - superb comfort and superb grip and not much had changed in the 15000km/2 years that I had them for. And worth mentioning that when I got them car was already ~6+ years old and had done ~41000km so suspension was nowhere near new.

CC MC5 is a good tyre, it's the GT TSI suspension that's mediocre.

Note: I had the GT TSI for 4 years and 44000km so I am not biased against the car, I liked her for the DSG and reasonably peppy engine. BTW, the Apollo Alnac that came with my GT TSI were pretty decent and I never changed them until I sold the car.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:43   #5811
BHPian

I have different opinion for stock MRF 195/55 R16 they are really bad in comparison to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55 R16 which I switched after 140 kms of driving my GT TSI. There is a big difference in braking and cornering, might be due to the wider stance but the ride quality has improved considerably, specially on broken/uneven road. I must say the minor undulations which I was experiencing with MRF's is gone.

Just checked details related to Pirelli Cinturato P7:
  • Optimized tread design with specific pitch sequence - Relaxed and comfortable driving experience
  • Four wide longitudinal grooves - Outstanding safety and control in potential aquaplaning situations
  • Compact central blocks and robust external area - Steering response and cornering control
  • Innovative and advanced hybrid material - Even wear
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 01:08   #5812
a2k
BHPian

The only thing I am worried about moving from the stock spec of 185/60R15 to the 195/60R15 is the warranty. I still have extended warranty on my car and don't want VW to use any lame excuse to deny warranty coverage or further extension because of me being off factory spec for the tire.
Old 14th February 2019, 09:06   #5813
BANNED

Getting my copy this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20190213wa0011.jpg  

agambhandari is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 09:19   #5814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
This colour looks fantastic. Even after 9 years in the market the polo is still one of the best looking cars in the country below 10 lakh rupees. With the traffic conditions you will face everyday in and around AIIMS buying an automatic is a very good decision indeed especially since it's still one of the best AT gearbox in the country. Wish you lots of happy miles ahead. Looking forward to meeting you soon and having a look at your GT. Congrats once again.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 09:25   #5815
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! I can see no spoiler is present.
So VW still seems to be supplying the spoiler off and on.

Edit: After zooming in, I think the spoiler is there! Is this the original subtle one of the one which came in sport pack?

Last edited by revved_up : 14th February 2019 at 09:27.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 10:14   #5816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations agambhandari

GT is available in this blue colour (Lapiz blue as they call it) is available since April 2018 and VW have still not put it on their website. I wonder why!
However it is only shown in the Connect edition of the Polo, Vento and Ameo
Old 14th February 2019, 11:34   #5817
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely colour! It's neither the Blue Silk (Jetta, Vento), Night Blue (Vento), Race Blue (Octavia), Lapiz Blue (Rapid Limited Edition) nor the Atlantic Blue (Passat) but a new one.

On a different note, when is the facelifted GT launching? There was some talk of a differentiated front end, better interiors etc.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th February 2019 at 11:38.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:06   #5818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
The only thing I am worried about moving from the stock spec of 185/60R15 to the 195/60R15 is the warranty. I still have extended warranty on my car and don't want VW to use any lame excuse to deny warranty coverage or further extension because of me being off factory spec for the tire.
You should be fine. Most of the time, they won't even notice that you've upsized if you're on stock rims - suspension parts anyway have no warranty after 6 months. I'm in my 5th year of warranty, and have upgraded to 195/60 R15.

BTW, I went with a wildcard choice - MRF Perfinza and couldn't be happier. Most of my previous upgrades have been Michelins.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:42   #5819
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations and welcome to the GT TSI club.

I was interested in this colour but my wife was spoiled by the sports red. Since it was her car so I hardly had a choice. Happy motoring.
Old 14th February 2019, 14:36   #5820
BANNED

Quote:
I have seen this colour GT TSi in my office parking last day and it certainly looks striking. I have a soft corner for blue shades, hence loved it more than the red colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks