Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2019, 00:19   #5686
BHPian

My 2018 GT TSI has now started making creaking and other noises when I drive it over uneven roads. Unfortunately I live in a slightly interior section of Bangalore and the immediate roads around the place I stay are horrible. A 200m stretch I have to take almost daily to pick my wife from her cab dropoff point is unpaved and extremely uneven. The doors have developed a creaking noise which in itself is painful. Additionally there is a noise from the wheels I suppose which sound like I have steel utensils in the car and they are slightly clanging against each other.

Anybody here faced this issue? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 08:04   #5687
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Additionally there is a noise from the wheels I suppose which sound like I have steel utensils in the car and they are slightly clanging against each other.
Was it driven in slush and rainy conditions recently (a month or two)? If the car hasn't been serviced after the last rains, I suggest you get an underbody water wash. It might just be mud and grime caked up on the suspension components.

If the problem persists, then it would be better to take it to the A.S.S.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 08:42   #5688
BHPian

TSI lovers - who all are running their GTs on Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 engine oil? Any issues/concerns/feedback? I have used it for roughly 7500 kms and quite satisfied with it. Any other brand recommendations?
Old 20th January 2019, 18:54   #5689
BHPian

Quote:
My 2018 GT TSI has now started making creaking and other noises when I drive it over uneven roads.
I hear rubber creaks too from day one. Especially when there is a level change in the road. Uneven or bad roads don't cause any sound.

Oiling the rubber helps in reducing the sound. Hope this helps

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:47. Reason: compacted quoted post / minor formatting
satyanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:39   #5690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
I have a 2016 GT TSI. While taking U turns or medium speed turns I notice a hum sound. This sound disappears on straightening the steering. Can someone shed light on this please?
I had similar issue in my Jetta, it was fixed by changing transmission oil. Give it a try.
Old 20th January 2019, 21:06   #5691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a 2016 GT TSI. While taking U turns or medium speed turns I notice a hum sound. This sound disappears on straightening the steering. Can someone shed light on this please?
If it is a hum like a motor running, it could be something to do with the EPS unit. Get it checked at the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I had similar issue in my Jetta, it was fixed by changing transmission oil. Give it a try.
The Jetta has the DQ250 wet clutch gear box that has transmission oil. The Polo GT has the DQ200 which is dry clutch and does not have any transmission oil. It could be something to do with the EPS unit.
Old 21st January 2019, 10:45   #5692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The Jetta has the DQ250 wet clutch gear box that has transmission oil. The Polo GT has the DQ200 which is dry clutch and does not have any transmission oil. It could be something to do with the EPS unit.
There was an article recently on teambhp that mentioned that it is a misconception that the DQ200 does not have transmission oil.

The main difference is that DQ250 uses multiple clutch plates so it has a separate oil circuit for that while DQ200 does not have multiple clutch plates so no separate oil circuit.

Quoting from the article:

Quote:
Now coming to the biggest misconception for the DQ200 - as can be seen in the below diagram, there are not 1 but 2 separate oil circuits
Quote:
In the DQ250, the mechatronics is housed inside the gearbox, surrounded by DSG oil, whereas in the DQ200, it is flanged onto the gearbox. This means that, in the DQ200, the mechatronics has a separate oil circuit, independent of the gearbox oil circuit.
Article link (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox).
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:03   #5693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
There was an article recently on teambhp that mentioned that it is a misconception that the DQ200 does not have transmission oil.
Thank you for pointing this out. I always was under the impression that DQ200 has oil only inside the mechatronics which is sealed for life. This is new information and definitely makes sense.

If this is the case, not sure what is the frequency at which VW changes this oil. I have not seen this as part of the maintenance schedule. DQ200 is a mystery gearbox indeed!

Thanks once again.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:26   #5694
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main difference is that DQ250 uses multiple clutch plates so it has a separate oil circuit for that while DQ200 does not have multiple clutch plates so no separate oil circuit.
What is that supposed to mean? - Both DQ250 and DQ200 are dual clutch gearboxes, the former has a wet clutch, while the latter has a dry clutch. Transmission oil which lubricates the gears is a separate thing and will be found in all gearboxes, whether wet or dry clutch or manual or traditional automatic.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:28   #5695
BHPian

Quote:
If this is the case, not sure what is the frequency at which VW changes this oil. I have not seen this as part of the maintenance schedule. DQ200 is a mystery gearbox indeed!
I had prodded my SA regarding this and he said that we could take it up at the 60K service. I don't know if that is true or only because he wanted me to get off his back. This was when I was getting the 30K service done in October last year.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:52   #5696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
What is that supposed to mean? - Both DQ250 and DQ200 are dual clutch gearboxes, the former has a wet clutch, while the latter has a dry clutch.
DQ250 has a wet clutch because each of its 2 clutches has multiple plates and to manage the heat and friction between plates, it has a separate oil circuit. This is the DQ250 principal diagram:
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dq250.jpg

DQ200 has a dry clutch because each of its clutch is single plate in a concentric configuration so there is no need for a separate oil circuit for any additional cooling/lubrication. DQ 200 principal diagram:
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dq200.jpg

I am not an expert in this so you better have a look at the actual post and ask questions there, the link of which I've already shared in my previous post. These images are also from the same post.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 14:58   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I would like to buy this as well. But when I checked on AliExpress, I saw that there are three product options. Which one did you buy? The 'New POLO 4 piece'? If so, why FOUR pieces? Does it cover both the B and C pillars?
Old 21st January 2019, 16:12   #5698
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DQ250 has a wet clutch because each of its 2 clutches has multiple plates and to manage the heat and friction between plates, it has a separate oil circuit.
Ok - I did not notice this earlier, but it makes sense.

Its a chicken and the egg problem. Its a wet box to manage the heat from the multi-plate, while it is a multi-plate box to get over the loss of torque due to being wet, that is why a dry clutch is more efficient, while the wet clutch ends up with an ability to handle more torque.

Quote:
DQ200 has a dry clutch because each of its clutch is single plate
That was my limited point. DQ200 has got multiple clutch plates, even if one per clutch, but 2 clutches. One of the reason for failures has been the heat it generates, specially in tropical climate.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:20   #5699
BHPian

Facing a somewhat similar situation. Seems like a mild clunking sound from the front suspension. Just came back from a 3000km road trip so waited till I gave the car a wash. But the noise persisted. Looks like a suspension greasing is called for. Will go to the ASS tomorrow.

Quote:
My 2018 GT TSI has now started making creaking and other noises when I drive it over uneven roads. Unfortunately I live in a slightly interior section of Bangalore and the immediate roads around the place I stay are horrible. A 200m stretch I have to take almost daily to pick my wife from her cab dropoff point is unpaved and extremely uneven. The doors have developed a creaking noise which in itself is painful. Additionally there is a noise from the wheels I suppose which sound like I have steel utensils in the car and they are slightly clanging against each other.

Old 21st January 2019, 16:38   #5700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please have the steering assembly checked. Additionally, you may want to look up this TBHP link.

Quote:
My 2018 GT TSI has now started making creaking and other noises when I drive it over uneven roads. The doors have developed a creaking noise which in itself is painful. Additionally there is a noise from the wheels I suppose which sound like I have steel utensils in the car and they are slightly clanging against each other.

VW is very notorious for its door rattling / creaking noise in some of its new cars. Please have a look at this TBHP link to see if the issue is similar and can be addressed in your new car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Can you please elaborate more on the changing of the "transmission" oil solving the noise problem?

Quote:
I always was under the impression that DQ200 has oil only inside the mechatronics which is sealed for life. This is new information and definitely makes sense.
Definitely, the oil is sealed for life, however there are 2 oil circuits in the DQ200 - one containing 1.7 litres for the gearbox and the other containing 1.0 liter for the mechatronics unit.

The "dry"ness is primarily a term related to the significantly lesser amount of oil that is required as compared to the sibling DQ250 gearbox (which requires approx 7+ liters)

Quote:
VW says that there is maintenance check required at the 60k km interval for the DSG. I got it done for my Vento at the said interval. However, there is no oil change per se.

On the mystery front, couldn't agree more with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
What is that supposed to mean? - Both DQ250 and DQ200 are dual clutch gearboxes, the former has a wet clutch, while the latter has a dry clutch. Transmission oil which lubricates the gears is a separate thing and will be found in all gearboxes, whether wet or dry clutch or manual or traditional automatic.
You are correct in the view point that transmission oil is found in all gearboxes.

Here in the DSG, there are fundamental differences in terms of the oil quantities (for the DQ200 and the DQ250) and also in the the way the oil is pumped through the circuits, along with the actual configuration of the clutches.

Would request you to have a quick look at this post to know more. Thanks.

Quote:
DQ250 has a wet clutch because each of its 2 clutches has multiple plates and to manage the heat and friction between plates, it has a separate oil circuit.

DQ200 has a dry clutch because each of its clutch is single plate in a concentric configuration so there is no need for a separate oil circuit for any additional cooling/lubrication.
Thanks anshuman for the initial clarification.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 17:03. Reason: Minor formatting
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed