Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-379.html)

Hello everyone!

So I'm to start 2019 with a new car purchase and that's going to be our favourite hot hatch, VW Polo GT TSI 2019. I need help with the fact that is it the right time to buy the GT? Since I'm coming across enough articles suggesting that since the global Polo launch is atleast 2-3 years away in India, Volkswagen is planning to give the current Polo a facelift and even differentiating GT a bit more than regular versions. Charges include, LED headlamps, new infotainment, new bumper design and no mechanical changes at all.

I went in to my nearest dealer and he said they have no such information and suggested to go on with the purchase because even if the Polo got options like LED headlamps n stuff, going by Vento's trend, the price difference for that single option would be around 1.5lacs.

The SA gave me quite a sweet deal on 2018 GT TSI as well and sadly the Carbon Steel colour can no longer be had. It's only White, Red and Blue now.

Please suggest, since this purchase is just a 'want' not a 'need' so if the facelift is close, I can wait for a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanishphatak (Post 4519710)
A friend just sent me (He dug this somewhere from the internet), The RCD340G version, manufactured by Visteon in India. Wondering if we can get hold of this unit for the GT-TSI older versions

Attachment 1832343

Update: The VW service centre in Bangalore got back on the query. R340G is available for 45,000/- INR on order. I feel its a little too pricey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanishphatak (Post 4524986)
Update: The VW service centre in Bangalore got back on the query. R340G is available for 45,000/- INR on order. I feel its a little too pricey.

Even I got the same quote here at the Coimbatore dealership for the 340G with CarPlay and Android Auto. The price is a little high definitely. But this will also come with a proper warranty unlike the ones bought in AliExpress.

The DS-611 HU I got from AliExpress has several problems, but the manufacturer has shut shop and no support is available. Planning to upgrade soon to the OE 340G from VW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanishphatak (Post 4524986)

You can get VW Composition media MIB2 for lesser than this price (about 30K Rubles) from Russian forums. It has far more features and better SQ than R340G. So either Aliexpress for R340G or Russian forums for MIB2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ventoman (Post 4525419)
You can get VW Composition media MIB2 for lesser than this price (about 30K Rubles) from Russian forums. It has far more features and better SQ than R340G. So either Aliexpress for R340G or Russian forums for MIB2.

Thank you. Actually I'm trying to get the R340 from one of these http://vagtrade.pro/ They are infact Made in India, Chennai Unit of Visteon, head units with latest SW and generally available at around 18000roubles. The amp quality of the original harman kardon and Visteon units are better than noname versions available on aliexpress. ref: https://vk.com/vagtrade
But haven't found a way to get it shipped to India. Wish we could source them from India OEM.

I am planning to change the rear spoiler from my TSI(MY15) which came with a smaller spoiler,this is glued to the body.I always wanted to change this as I really hate the one on my car, it's neither here nor there.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo-old.jpg

I like this new one,it looks more sportier.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo-new.jpg
Picture courtesy:Google images.

I inquired at few places including at VW service center. I was told there is a chance of paint peeling off while removing the old one and the new one will be fixed using 3M sticker and glue (at VW service center). At other accessory shops, they would drill a hole and fix the new one, which I don't want. Off course there is price difference between accessory shops and VW. I would take final call on this soon.
I am particularly worried about paint peeling off,I would like to know from fellow members if anyone has attempted this? Appreciate the responses.

I have this sports spoiler on my car. It was fixed by the VW dealer and it is an original VW accessory. My car was from the lot when the GT Tsi was shipped without any spoiler at all. After a couple of months they again started offering the spoiler. When ai complained they offered me the sports spoiler at no additional charge. That's how I got it. Regarding the fixing process, it is indeed fixed using 3M tapes and stuck onto the hatch. The middle support leg that sits on the roof had come loose after a few months and I went back to the dealer. They fixed it properly and since then it has been rock solid. Its been almost 1.5 years now.

I think you can go ahead with the replacement if you like the new spoiler. There may be a small chance of the paint peeling off but I think it is a separate part fixed over the existing body and should come off cleanly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyes (Post 4526085)
I am planning to change the rear spoiler from my TSI(MY15) which came with a smaller spoiler,this is glued to the body.I always wanted to change this as I really hate the one on my car, it's neither here nor there.

I've only met owners who think the new one looks like an aftermarket clothes hanger while the old one is subtle and classy...I know it's a free world but please do rethink mate!

In other news, love this aesthetic 'mod' I made a few months back to my 2014 Polo. I always hated the non-glossy B pillar plastic, especially compared to international Polos/desi Ventos. Additionally, there were a couple of scuff marks/discoloring as well. Contemplated a gloss wrap, but they quickly acquired a 'scratched' look. So I ordered from this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...27424c4d5f2zwH

The installation was a breeze. I had to slightly trim the bottom edge since it was a couple of cm longer than required - no biggie. I waited 3 months to review - wasn't sure if it would scratch/scuff/come off etc. Happy to report - no such problems. Have a look:

HI Forum,

I am a 2015 VW Jetta DSG owner, now my partner is looking for a small but safe automatic car for use within the city. VW Polo TSI is the obvious choice which comes to mind, although my experience with VW ASS has been average at best.

I am confused whether to go for a new car or look for reasonable used ones. Can someone enlighten me what would be the on-road cost for a new VW Polo TSI in Pune city?

Also if I do try for a used car, what prices can I expect and how to find them, any preferred portal or dealer for the same?

Also a quick number on the annual insurance cost of a Polo TSI will help.

Thanks

Just for clarity, did you do the gloss wrap and it got scratched due to daily cleaning, or you directly ordered the aliexpress option?

Quote:

Contemplated a gloss wrap, but they quickly acquired a 'scratched' look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionell (Post 4527627)
Just for clarity, did you do the gloss wrap and it got scratched due to daily cleaning, or you directly ordered the aliexpress option?

The gloss wrap did not last and quickly acquired scratches/swirls/tears. The aliexpress option is way more sturdier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 4526716)

In other news, love this aesthetic 'mod' I made a few months back to my 2014 Polo. I always hated the non-glossy B pillar plastic, especially compared to international Polos/desi Ventos.

Hello

I loved this mod. It has suddenly struck me as to why my Rapid looks so classy compared to my Polo in side profile even though till the rear door both would have almost similar dimensions.

Now that I want this glossy thing, I was wondering if this would be a straight fit from the one available in Vento. I am not very keen on going for the AliExpress route.

Can you share the part numbers please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque18 (Post 4527770)
Hello

I loved this mod. It has suddenly struck me as to why my Rapid looks so classy compared to my Polo

Now that I want this glossy thing, I was wondering if this would be a straight fit from the one available in Vento. I am not very keen on going for the AliExpress route.

Can you share the part numbers please.

Thanks! sorry don't have the part numbers, but the cost was atrocious when I enquired with the SA. Also he said there's a slight mismatch in length, so dropped the idea.

Just get it from AliExpress! How can you not like this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandTourer (Post 4519054)
I would say go for it. I got the paint sealant advanced protection for my candy white GT. I must say, I'm very pleased with it. I have stopped washing the car every other day like I used to. Now I just use a Jopasu duster daily (you should get one - there is a thread on TBHP dedicated to that) and wash the car on weekends with 2-3 buckets of water. And the car still shines like new.

IMHO if you just get the plug n play light bulbs, it shouldn't void the warranty. Check out the Osram Night Breaker Laser and Philips Xtreme Vision.

Thanks firstly for the input.

After giving it some thought, I went in for the paint sealant work from 3M.

Regarding the HL and TL, I was looking for the Merc Styled TL(with running matrix) for the polo that the guy claims are legit plug and play(simple fit on). Should these be fine? Worst case I can get them changed back to normal ones before going in for a service?

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashant316 (Post 4519063)

1. You can get ppf done for areas prone to scratches - bumpers, skirts, door handles. i have personally gone for a ceramic coating on the whole car. Costed me a bomb. Dont know if you want to put that much money - i got it done for about 50k.

Thanks for the input!

After giving it some thought, I decided to go in for paint sealant work now and follow up with the ceramic coating next year. Will think about doing ceramic coating next year when the car is slightly older and would require more work from those folks to get it all shiny and stuff!
But otherwise, I have seen photos of polos(white and red) who got it done, and it's simply stunning !!

Does the car tend to remain like that? Or does it require some hard work from our end as well?

Also has anyone managed to get a parking cam setup fixed in the latest GT without screwing up Android auto etc?

A strange thing happened.

So I went to an auto shop here(Ldh) for getting a parking cam setup fixed. Inquired firsthand if he could fit it onto the newer system (RCD340) as i had read about some folks facing issues. He was very confident about the same.

So he fits the whole thing up we get it to work etc, but strangely my android auto stops to work.

If I press the "app" button on the system it displays an error
"App connect is not supported"

When he spoke to his dealer, they mentioned the same thing that his setup "wiring harness" is old and it won't work on the RCD340!

He will be receiving one working unit specifically for me, which they said will also contain an update for android auto and it should work. I don't believe him.

It's surprising how a cam setup was able to downgrade the software version on my RCD340!

Any help as to what can be done?

I have a 2016 GT TSI. While taking U turns or medium speed turns I notice a hum sound. This sound disappears on straightening the steering. Can someone shed light on this please?