Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2018, 00:51   #5551
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Now that the Vento has a full LED headlamps setup, is it possible to retrofit the same in the GT TSI? If yes, how big a hole will it drill in my pocket?

But before that, are the OEM Vento lights any good?
I know one guy who has retrofitted the Vento LED headlamps on his GT TSI. He got the pair from his local VW showroom in Kerala for a whopping 1.85L

Not sure of the quality though.
Old 21st October 2018, 18:17   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
I know one guy who has retrofitted the Vento LED headlamps on his GT TSI. He got the pair from his local VW showroom in Kerala for a whopping 1.85L

Not sure of the quality though.
You got to be kidding
That's more than what it would cost to repair the DSG box. It's definitely not worth going down that road in this case.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 21:34   #5553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
works great in my 2014 gt. apart from the usual auto headlight function, headlights and taillights switch on automatically on lock/unlock (duration is adjustable) when it is dark - coming/leaving home. Best of all, it's in the same brushed trim as rest of the car and looks premium.
Since the light sensor is inside the cabin, does it switch on the light too soon or even during daytime sometimes? With factory made systems, this sensor will be in the IRVM module. The one with separate sensor is also placed on the dashboard as it is a similar area. Can you please let me know how it is here.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 21:40   #5554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Since the light sensor is inside the cabin, does it switch on the light too soon or even during daytime sometimes? With factory made systems, this sensor will be in the IRVM module. The one with separate sensor is also placed on the dashboard as it is a similar area. Can you please let me know how it is here.
Works like a charm - doesn't switch on in day time, immediately recognises tunnels/basements. switches on parking lights around 6:15 pm and headlights around 6.30 pm (Mumbai light conditions).
d_himan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:06   #5555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Had always hesitated to get Auto headlights done since I did not want a sensor wire stuck on the dashboard. So got myself a switch with an inbuilt one, just for kicks.

works great in my 2014 gt. apart from the usual auto headlight function, headlights and taillights switch on automatically on lock/unlock (duration is adjustable) when it is dark - coming/leaving home. Best of all, it's in the same brushed trim as rest of the car and looks premium.
Great find. This one deserves a separate thread if you can write up more details of the fitting and functionality.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:27   #5556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Great find. This one deserves a separate thread if you can write up more details of the fitting and functionality.

Literally takes less than a minute to take the old switch out and put this switch in (refer any youtube video for taking the switch out) and then put it in ‘Auto’. That’s it!
d_himan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 18:23   #5557
BHPian

Great mod d_himan!
I'll go ahead and order one too! Auto lights are really helpful
And if I remember correctly, you had upgraded to B6 long back. How has your experience been?
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:26   #5558
BHPian

Anyone got their extended warranties recently? There seems to be few service offers listed on volkswagen website: https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/volksfest-service.html

I am planning to visit the service center this weekend to get more details.
Old 24th October 2018, 16:48   #5559
BHPian

Got the first 15k km service done at 14,275kms as I have to leave town next week for a 1000km trip. Didn't want the service to become overdue.

The overall cost came to Rs. 9548 which included an additive that VW now recommends to add before filling up a full tank. This is only for the GT TSI. I was advised to empty the entire bottle, as my tank was just 1/4th full.

The city mileage sometimes crosses 14kmpl when driven with a light foot.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img5261.jpg
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 16:56   #5560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
an additive that VW now recommends to add before filling up a full tank. This is only for the GT TSI. I was advised to empty the entire bottle, as my tank was just 1/4th full.

That's their remedy for the DSG shudder between 2nd and 3rd! Mine started shuddering at after 10000km mark. It went away after this additive but kept coming back. So in addition to 1L oil, GT TSI owners need to keep 1 bottle of this one as well

Good FE in the city, BTW!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:58   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
That's their remedy for the DSG shudder between 2nd and 3rd! Mine started shuddering at after 10000km mark. It went away after this additive but kept coming back. So in addition to 1L oil, GT TSI owners need to keep 1 bottle of this one as well

Good FE in the city, BTW!

Hi, just want to clear something here, how is an injector cleaner going to help with DSG smoothness? I've been using an injector cleaner from Liqui Moly from time to time for the 1.8 TSI engine, it just made a marginal difference in the engine vibrations and that's it. Pls enlighten me if I seem to be ignorant about how it helps DSG shudder. Cheers!
Old 24th October 2018, 20:39   #5562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi, just want to clear something here, how is an injector cleaner going to help with DSG smoothness?

I asked this to the SA, he said, fuel quality is bad in India and affects DSG. You know these SAs, right? I left it there. If you ask me, it's just poor software programming of the DSG. With the same (so called "poor") fuel quality, my MT Laura (1.8 TSI) runs absolutely fine and even the DSG on 1.2 TSI shifted fine in manual mode. The shudder was only in D and S. This just tells me that the DSG hunts back and forth between 2nd and 3rd in certain cases - like stop and go, slow down and turn. If this is because of any disturbances in the fuel supply, it could easily be fixed by just conservative tuning of the DSG. I think it's programmed to upshift too eagerly in D.
Old 24th October 2018, 23:42   #5563
BHPian

I listed a jerking issue from D3 to D2 under braking at the 15k service interval and they handed me this additive. My car did not suffer from from a shudder it was just the gear change jerk that had got me a bit worried.
Old 24th October 2018, 23:46   #5564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I listed a jerking issue from D3 to D2 under braking at the 15k service interval and they handed me this additive. My car did not suffer from from a shudder it was just the gear change jerk that had got me a bit worried.
That's how it starts. Don't use the additive and you will soon experience the shudder as well :-)
Old 25th October 2018, 12:00   #5565
Senior - BHPian

The additive is sold and put to use in modern TSI motors be it manual or DSG, in country groups such as India, where as you mentioned the fuel quality is sometimes not as per standard. But basically the additive is just to ensure the injectors are not clogged by contaminants, because injectors are an expensive part to swap if goes awry.

Having said that, fuel supply issue will mean the car won't get pick up power, the engine itself will jerk, shudder, etc. Fuel systems are quite sensitive to bad fuel in India, and in cases where contaminants do enter the fuel pump, it will fail sooner than later. Has happened with me within a week of driving the Octavia TSI. Fuel quality, supply rate, etc has no connection to the DSG shuddering. I'm confident because I have had the shuddering issue and it was only because of a malfunctioning mechatronic unit, and later on a multi clutch replacement was ordered which addressed the shuddering completely. I have always filled the car with regular unleaded and after 60000 kms on a new gearbox/clutch/mechatronic, I seldom face any shudders, albeit after cold starts and only in reverse gear. Additive definitely elongates the life of the injectors and plugs, but not the DSG, although it might have a placebo effect.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks