Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-347.html)

Congratulations on your beautiful new car!
Quote:

Originally Posted by niteshbids (Post 4380005)
2. SWMBO kept opening all the doors of the car trying to vent the "New car smell" out as she didn't like it :Frustrati

I'm afraid that she's right! If I remember correctly, all that stuff evaporating from new plastic, the molecules that make up our treasured new-car smell, are not good for our health.

Forgot to mention a couple of points:

The steering wheel media controls should have had another button - to switch the media source IMO. That would ensure a complete hands-free experience with the infotainment system.

The reverse parking sensor beeps are too low. Difficult to hear even with moderate audio volume. Have to mute the audio in order to listen to it without straining my ears

GT owners:
I need your opinion on this one.

April 2016 GT TSI, red color, 15121 kms done. Asking price 7.2 lacs.
Mods done:
Paddle shift steering wheel
blaupaunk Philadelphia system
centre armrest
boot light and glove box light
3417 manufactured Michelin tyres on stock alloys

Zero dep insurance is valid till 24 April 2018. Extended warranty until 24 April 2020.
Question is what is the ideal price point for such a car? and are there any pointers to look forward to? I am buying this for my retired father, who loved the car but little hesitant to go pre-owned route. However he believes in my judgement and will eventually agree.

The million dollar 3 letter question: DSG? I dont know how much percentage chances of i getting unlucky on this issue, but i can be prepared to face it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX (Post 4380417)
GT owners:
I

Zero dep insurance is valid till 24 April 2018. Extended warranty until 24 April 2020.
Question is what is the ideal price point for such a car? and are there any pointers to look forward to?

The million dollar 3 letter question: DSG? I dont know how much percentage chances of i getting unlucky on this issue, but i can be prepared to face it.

Hi,

Firstly, get the service history checked through the authorized service centre. You can call them up to verify as well

Secondly,the price seems fine. This should be a good deal if you can close this at 7

Most Importantly, DSG concerns should go out of the window since you have the extended warranty till 2020. Also, if you take good care of the DSG gear box by shifting to neutral at traffic signals, issues should not crop up. We have few live examples of fellow bhpians facing DSG failures post expiry of the extended warranty, however VW has been kind enough to replace and fix issues free of cost under goodwill warranty

Its a beautiful car to drive buddy! Go for it:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4380423)
Hi,
Firstly, get the service history checked through the authorized service centre. You can call them up to verify as well

Secondly,the price seems fine. This should be a good deal if you can close this at 7
Most Importantly, DSG concerns should go out of the window since you have the extended warranty till 2020. Also, if you take good care of the DSG gear box by shifting to neutral at traffic signals, issues should not crop up. We have few live examples of fellow bhpians facing DSG failures post expiry of the extended warranty, however VW has been kind enough to replace and fix issues free of cost under goodwill warranty

Its a beautiful car to drive buddy! Go for it:)

Thank you for your quick response RJ2285. My heart is sold on to this one. Its the "want it" kind of feeling you get once you test-drive the car.

I plan to first finalize the deal and pay the token money to take the car to service center. They say they cant provide full details since calls are recorded. Hence i will have to spare one day to get it thoroughly checked and confirm the expenses i am looking forward to. If that comes clean, then make the balance payment. Ideally the car must have gone through atleast one service with OEM service center in order for warranty to remain valid. And i will take the second service expenses.

On that note, is the warranty valid for DSG inspite of such modifications inclusion of paddle shifter in the stock steering or may be new steering?

By the way just got a call from the guy he is ready to close in 7 lacs. so game on!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX (Post 4380417)
GT owners:
I need your opinion on this one.

April 2016 GT TSI, red color, 15121 kms done. Asking price 7.2 lacs.
Mods done:
Paddle shift steering wheel
blaupaunk Philadelphia system
centre armrest
boot light and glove box light
3417 manufactured Michelin tyres on stock alloys

Question is what is the ideal price point for such a car? and are there any pointers to look forward to? I am buying this for my retired father, who loved the car but little hesitant to go pre-owned route. However he believes in my judgement and will eventually agree.

If you have driven the car, and all feels fine, then go for it. Just try to haggle what you can. Even at 7.2 asking price, it is lower than the depreciation value in 2 years (considering stock price). With paddle shifts and other mods, it should cost a lot more.

One question does loom in the mind - Someone who has taken enough pains to do such mods should not be selling so early without any good reason. Just try to find out if all's well with the mechanicals of the car or if there is any other issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niteshbids (Post 4380458)
One question does loom in the mind - Someone who has taken enough pains to do such mods should not be selling so early without any good reason. Just try to find out if all's well with the mechanicals of the car or if there is any other issue.

The exact same question is asked to me by my father when i explained to him that this is one car with all that it should have. And frankly speaking i could not find an answer to this. the dealer says the owner is bored of driving this and now want to move on to more luxurious ride. I still wish to talk to owner to find out more. However, i have recently seen lots of good rides with such good mods getting sold on olx in less than 2 years. Infact there is one GTI in delhi extremely beautiful beast for 18 lacs with mods to die for. the reason for selling, the guy moved on to buy mini. believable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX (Post 4380457)
On that note, is the warranty valid for DSG inspite of such modifications inclusion of paddle shifter in the stock steering or may be new steering?

I have the same question. Does anyone have first hand experience of VW honouring warranty if one has changed the steering wheel to a VW steering wheel (say the GTI's) with paddle shifters? Though I would love to change mine, the concern with warranty has been stopping me from doing so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissknife (Post 4380475)
I have the same question. Does anyone have first hand experience of VW honouring warranty if one has changed the steering wheel to a VW steering wheel (say the GTI's) with paddle shifters? Though I would love to change mine, the concern with warranty has been stopping me from doing so.

Yup, I've had a paddle shift steering wheel for quite some time now. My car had to have a clutch replacement which was done in the warranty period. While there were a few hiccups in convincing the folks at VW that the problem existed and it should be covered under warranty, it was never because of the new steering wheel. It never cropped up as a discussion point throughout the process. That being said, I have heard that it is dealer dependent and some BHPians have had trouble and concerns raised by the dealers regarding the steering wheel. Logically though, it should not have an impact as it is a VW genuine accessory and is a plug and play change. But sometimes, logic goes out of the window, so I would suggest you have a chat with the dealer beforehand if possible.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya9567 (Post 4380480)
Logically though, it should not have an impact as it is a VW genuine accessory and is a plug and play change. But sometimes, logic goes out of the window, so I would suggest you have a chat with the dealer beforehand if possible.

Cheers!

Thanks for you prompt response. I would check with the service centers and figure what they have to say.

Hi

I'm in he market for an automatic transmission hatchback with a lively engine. After a lot of looking around I've realised that there is no other hatchback under 15 lacs with even half decent engine and auto transmission.

Needed everyone's help here regarding few of my queries
1. Is there any other car I should consider?
2. Is the TSi still suffering from the DSG issues??
3. Would anyone of you know of a good gti up for grabs? Wouldn't mind a new one either
4. Is there a facelift/update in the pipeline for the polo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samyakmodi (Post 4380906)
.... I've realised that there is no other hatchback under 15 lacs with even half decent engine and auto transmission.

You sum it up pretty much fair and square if automatic is your key requirement. Some 4 months back when I was scouting, all roads lead to TSI. And whatever doubts I had were blown away into pieces with test drive, what a lively engine and stable body. The experience was such that i forgot any DSG worries and thought about crossing the bridge when it comes. The 4 year warranty and possible 5th year goodwill by VW allayed any fears of mine.

The latest refresh was in Sept'17, I would expect another in '18 but no clue. I had an informal chat with VW dealer in NCR a week back regarding this to which he said 'nothing in next 6 months'. But knowing VW unannounced refresh history he could be wrong.

You mention about GTI but that's beyond the 15L budget. A month back or so dealers in NCR were pushing out the GTI stock at high discount for some reason, perhaps a new GTI or withdrawing from India. Can't say definitely.

I'm ~5000 kms into GT TSI ownership and words can't justly describe the fun & pleasure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangdu (Post 4381554)
Some 4 months back when I was scouting, all roads lead to TSI. And whatever doubts I had were blown away into pieces with test drive, what a lively engine and stable body. The experience was such that i forgot any DSG worries and thought about crossing the bridge when it comes. The 4 year warranty and possible 5th year goodwill by VW allayed any fears of mine..

..I'm ~5000 kms into GT TSI ownership and words can't justly describe the fun & pleasure.

Thanks a tonne buddy. Your reply is confidence inspiring.
As far as the GTi is concerned - Wanted a peppy automatic hatch primarily to be used by dad in the evenings - hence shelling out a few extra lacs would've been totally worth it if it makes him smile ��. But at almost twice the price of the tsi it made very little sense. I was contemplating it purely because of the heavy discounts which were offered only recently. Else purely from the earlier price point - it will never make sense.

Just worried about the DQ200 as there have been more than isolated instances where it has simply failed - wouldn't want that to happen while dad has taken it out.

I have been looking out for used fiat 500 too - provided the asking price is reasonable - but it seems like no one ever bought it. No automatic car available in the market.

So I called up couple of abarth dealerships to just ask them for the abarth 595 - and whether there is one which the company wants to give at anything south of 15 lacs. Called up 3 dealerships - without telling them I'm looking for a "deal" - all 3 mentioned, someone will call me back soon. Been 3 days and no call from anyone yet. Either they are really busy with the compass sales or they are simply not interested in pushing the abarth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samyakmodi (Post 4381627)
As far as the GTi is concerned - Wanted a peppy automatic hatch primarily to be used by dad in the evenings - hence shelling out a few extra lacs would've been totally worth it if it makes him smile ��. .....

Just worried about the DQ200 as there have been more than isolated instances where it has simply failed - wouldn't want that to happen while dad has taken it out.

.. Either they are really busy with the compass sales or they are simply not interested in pushing the abarth.

well, IMO GT TSI is peppy enough and has enough muscle to keep us stirred given our conditions. When D mode gets mundane even after flooring the pedal, the S mode puts a fairly wide grin on my face. GTI on the other hand might be an overkill, not being able to utilize most of its 150 horses while paying double the price, not quite sure.

While I too heard about DSG issues in the past, I haven't of late. I'm pretty sure VW must have been working on these issues and customers have been proactively provided updates. Most importantly it depends on one's driving manners too. For example over a long period of ownership -- not shifting to N at traffic stop lights or in traffic jams or accelerating/stopping too often. All these abnormal gear changes would take its toll is what I've gleaned.

My conclusion was it's the best sporty automatic this side of 10L with the FE to boast in front of diesel manuals in this segment, a high-line feature list and negating all the positives was an unquantified worry. The positives far outweighed the DSG worry and the card was swiped.clap:

Well, the FIAT dealers' attitude is unfathomable and I had exact same experience as yours even though Jeep showroom is different than the ones for FIAT cars. The test drive Abarth punto car never arrived in-spite of calling them multiple times. With such bitter pre-sales experience, uninterested dealer monopoly, unkempt showrooms and diminishing interest of company in the product, I wasn't willing to take chances with FIAT.

Let us know what you eventually decide.

Cheers:thumbs up

So many posts on DSG worry. In just one and half years of ownership my Vento TSI has clocked 32,000+ km. No problem so far, and I don’t worry much about it. The car is driven by two people on a daily basis: wife and myself. Both of us don’t do aggressive acceleration and deceleration. I always slot in neutral at traffic stops, she has to be reminded sometimes.