Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-331.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dushmin (Post 4313171)
Hi, my ongoing dilemna is either to buy the Polo GT or Ecosport Titanium + AT. My usage is around 30000KM per year .I do not want to purchase a diesel car due to potential.policy changes in NCR.

Dear Dushmin, first and foremost, congratulations on intending to buy a new car. It can indeed be a strenuous and a rather unnerving situation to be in when you are shopping in the bracket. Specially considering the fact none of the cars currently on sale under 30 lakhs quite cover every penchant of the enthusiast. Very few cars come close, but I will go on a limb and say that every car will be a trade off in one way or the other.

What's probably important to you may not be for me. But if I were in your position, I would consider three things;

If you can answer the aforementioned by objectively gathering your thoughts, I think you will get the drift. The EcoSport and the Polo GT TSi both maybe in thr same price bracket but have extremely different characteristics. The GT is a brilliant machine. Period. One of the pioneers of the 'warm hatch' movement in India (Getz was probably the first one), a popular mistake that we do is to accredit the 7speed DSG with all the accolades. The gearbox is good, but only performs because it's has the turbo-charged engine under the hood. The two together result in the responsive and torquey response we have all come to love and enjoy. Though it does have its own gremlins. Habitual things like starting engine and scooting off, keep applying the brakes on at traffic lights etc. will have to be forgotten. The first results in massive issues with the turbo, the second is a cause of the mechatronic problems reported in innumerable forums.

Coming to the EcoSport- this is a naturally aspirated engine that will not satiate your thirst for high revs and red lines. If you are one of them, this isn't the car for you. The troublesome Getrag DCT that was present in the previous generation and the Figo/ Aspire has now been discontinued. Another common mistake because the gearbox retains the previous 6 speed configuration. The TC gearbox provided now will be much more reliable, because it's a tried and tested and beaten to death formula. I had the previous 1.5 litre engine with DCT combo in an earlier car, and it was perfectly fine for what it promised. A good relaxed driving but never short of power. But I wouldn't be racing with this combination of engine and gearbox. The New EcoSport with the new Dragon series engine and reliable TC gearbox should last you a long, long time.

Quote:

Hi, my ongoing dilemna is either to buy the Polo GT or Ecosport Titanium + AT. My usage is around 30000KM per year .I do not want to purchase a diesel car due to potential.policy changes in NCR.

Is the Polo GT TSI reliable enough to complete 1 lakh Km without major hiccups? The main concern being the gearbox.

I dont want to be stuck in a situation where after 50k Km i have to get it replaced after just 2 years of buying the car.

Well, with that kind of usage, you would hit 1lac kms before the extended warranty ends in 4th year for GT TSI. So you will be covered until 100000 kms.
But two completely different segments. If it is for seating 4-5 members, then Ecosport it would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvish (Post 4311097)
Finally the volkswagen website is updated with latest info on the models. All the silent updates are now officially documented.

Well, the wheels are still mentioned at 15" in the specs.

Keepin it classy as always VW!

I have been a user of Ecosport (though not AT) prior to currently owning the GT TSI. They two are totally different cars. The first thing you will like in Polo is the exceptional ride and ease of driving with DSG. And the first thing you miss from Ecosport is the space.

But if you want fun to drive, fuel efficient AT and can compromise on the size of the car and the space inside, look no further than GT TSI. But the reliability question looms large for which I do not have an answer. Personally I have left it to lady luck.

Quote:

Hi, my ongoing dilemna is either to buy the Polo GT or Ecosport Titanium + AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin489 (Post 4313857)
Well, the wheels are still mentioned at 15" in the specs.

Keepin it classy as always VW!

I think it is this thread that is classy. It is an encyclopedia of information on the TSI and that too real time. Methinks VW ( and other car manufacturers ) should be paying royalty to BHP.com.
lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by meetzap (Post 4313194)
I test drove Ecosport AT and believe me, it is not at all fun to drive. They claim to have a dual clutch gearbox going by the name DCT, but its nowhere close to DSG.

The Ford Ecosport in its face-lifted avatar does not have the dual clutch gearbox anymore and they have replaced it with a torque converter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4313953)
The Ford Ecosport in its face-lifted avatar does not have the dual clutch gearbox anymore and they have replaced it with a torque converter.

Does that mean they changed it from DCT to AT? That would leave only VW who provides a dual clutch gearbox in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbopetrol (Post 4313966)
Does that mean they changed it from DCT to AT?

The 6DCT150( and its cousins for that matter) in the pre-facelift ecosport has been phased out the world over due to numerous cases of unintended acceleration and ensuing class action lawsuits. The box was also *very* unreliable - far more than the DQ200 in the VAG group cars. This led to another bunch of class action lawsuits. Ford lost a lot of money and sleep on those boxes in the rest of the world. Unfortunately in India, everything was brushed under the carpet as usual.

Now the Ecosport in India (and fiesta/focus/mondeo etc abroad) have returned to a 6 speed traditional torque converter.

Hello all, can you please suggest a good quality tray type/3d mat set for GT TSI which accommodates dead pedal perfectly? I have been searching the entrire forum but couldn't find any reference for a mat set for newer Polo models with dead pedal.

Quote:

Hi, my ongoing dilemna is either to buy the Polo GT or Ecosport Titanium + AT. My usage is around 30000KM per year .
Is the Polo GT TSI reliable enough to complete 1 lakh Km without major hiccups? The main concern being the gearbox.

I am in the same position. My requirement was an automatic under 10L Ex showroom. (NON AMT). I found the GT TSI and Ecosport Trend+ to suit my requirements. Heart says GT TSI. Mind says ford ecosport. Even though GT TSI has all the features needed (and rear legroom is not an issue for me), I cant digest paying 11L for an 8 year old car.

I know they are totally different cars. I just want a comfortable, refined and smooth automatic under 10L.

Is GT TSI too sensitive to bumper to bumper traffic. I wonder if too much gearshifts will impact the DSG in a bad way. My commute along silk board will be hard on any gearbox :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvish (Post 4314637)
I am in the same position. My requirement was an automatic under 10L Ex showroom. (NON AMT). I found the GT TSI and Ecosport Trend+ to suit my requirements. Heart says GT TSI. Mind says ford ecosport. Even though GT TSI has all the features needed (and rear legroom is not an issue for me), I cant digest paying 11L for an 8 year old car.

I know they are totally different cars. I just want a comfortable, refined and smooth automatic under 10L.

Is GT TSI too sensitive to bumper to bumper traffic. I wonder if too much gearshifts will impact the DSG in a bad way. My commute along silk board will be hard on any gearbox :)

I was in a similar dilemma for over 6 months. Ultimately I bought the TSI in April. Life's too short to worry about things that may or may not happen. I would have missed the TSI forever had I not bought it. It feels like a airplane taking off (When is Sports mode).

VW has always done a goodwill replacement of the DSG in case it fails. So I took a 4 yr warranty and went ahead. If something happens I am sure VW will fix it. A gentleman just reported that his DSG failed after 4 years but then VW fixed it on goodwill.

Rest each one to his one.

Well, nothing beats 3M Nomad mats for their sheer ability to deal with dirt, muck and mud. I can't imagine buying anything else, unless something revolutionary comes by.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ct-review.html

I got mine for around 6500 bucks for the TSi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbopetrol (Post 4314557)
Hello all, can you please suggest a good quality tray type/3d mat set for GT TSI which accommodates dead pedal perfectly? I have been searching the entrire forum but couldn't find any reference for a mat set for newer Polo models with dead pedal.

Pretty similar story. For someone looking for a compact automatic car which loves to be revved, you would surprisingly not find too many alternatives to the GT TSI. I did face the now famous 'jerking' issue, but that got rectified during a recent service, they apparently run a software patch to fix this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4314889)
I was in a similar dilemma for over 6 months. Ultimately I bought the TSI in April.

Well, it looks like quite a few of us are in the same situation! I'm looking at a decent automatic in the sub-15L category, and I too am considering similar options - the Ecosport and the Vento TSI (used).

I love the way the TSI drives. But yes, reliability is a worry - especially when buying a used VW TSI.

I did a TD of the new Ecosport Petrol (manual however). While it's nice, it is no where as much fun as the TSI. Heart over mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4314889)
I was in a similar dilemma for over 6 months. Ultimately I bought the TSI in April. Life's too short to worry about things that may or may not happen..

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghuveerk (Post 4315706)
Pretty similar story. For someone looking for a compact automatic car which loves to be revved, you would surprisingly not find too many alternatives to the GT TSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qaqa (Post 4315744)
Well, it looks like quite a few of us are in the same situation! I'm looking at a decent automatic in the sub-15L category, and I too am considering similar options!

I guess a lot of us are/were in the same boat!. Its only after the new ecosport that I found something closer to the tsi, not so for the performance, more for the refinement in the drive. Now with the updates over the last year or two, the GT TSI has all features that one can expect
The GT and ecosport are in a sweet spot wrt pricing (<10L Ex). The ameo diesel highline plus is in the same price range after the discounts. I dont like the look of the ameo.