Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-318.html)

My brothers polo was purchased approx 2.3 years ago. It's battery is dead now. Service advisor said battery warranty is only 1 year (like car warranty). In market we do get 2-3 years of warranty for aftermarket battery. Then why similar warranty not available with battery which came along with new car? Have anyone experienced similar premature dead battery issue? Can I claim this under warranty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by techcoze (Post 4251752)
My brothers polo was purchased approx 2.3 years ago. It's battery is dead now. Service advisor said battery warranty is only 1 year (like car warranty). In market we do get 2-3 years of warranty for aftermarket battery. Then why similar warranty not available with battery which came along with new car? Have anyone experienced similar premature dead battery issue? Can I claim this under warranty?

I don't think you will be able to claim a warranty for the battery after 2 years. VW batteries are notorious for their early failure. The best option for you would be to replace the dead OE battery with a better battery like Amaron or Exide, which come with better warranty duration and also last longer.

I am planning to replace the Headlight switch to the Automatic one found on Aliexpress. I have seen people getting it installed easily as it is plug and play but if in case i need to get it done from outside, will the Service Center guys help out? Or will they say things like voiding warranty etc.
It is a New polo GT that hasn't even done ~1K kms and am skeptical to do a DIY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techcoze (Post 4251752)

Battery, Tyres, etc. are not covered under warranty. They are considered consumables.

If it is diesel Polo 2-3 years is good life for battery. Generally, diesel car batteries do not last more than 3 years. In case of Petrol, the life is 5 years but not so good battery can have premature death.

Amaron is a good brand to go for. I have replaced my Polo's battery will Hella battery. Although new in the market, battery is good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacifier (Post 4253521)
I am planning to replace the Headlight switch to the Automatic one found on Aliexpress. I have seen people getting it installed easily as it is plug and play but if in case i need to get it done from outside, will the Service Center guys help out? Or will they say things like voiding warranty etc.
It is a New polo GT that hasn't even done ~1K kms and am skeptical to do a DIY.

I don't think the dealers will agree to do this retrofit as this is not a OEM part. Your best bet is either to do a DIY (it is a really simple one) or take it to a good garage who may be able to do the retrofit.

Hi guys, the unthinkable (or not?) has happened. :Frustrati

Within 7 months of ownership and hardly 6000KMS completed, I am now facing a DSG issue in my GT. Would greatly appreciate urgent advice / assistance from the seasoned owners who've braved it all.

Started driving my car after a week or so of it being idle, and I am facing the following problems (described chronologically):

1. Start is completely fine, engine returns to 800RPM a few seconds after ignition. However, earlier on the crank of the key it used to start within 2 seconds, now it is taking 4-5 seconds.

2. D1 to D2 shift is fairly ok and normal.

3. The problem starts now. Irrespective of the throttle input that I provide, the RPM meter reaches 4000-5000 (whilst making sounds as if it is hitting the rev-limiter) with a loss in power output. This is happening irrespective of driving mode - be it D, S or even tiptronic mode.

4. Somehow, after it makes to D3, the problem repeats itself and irrespective of the throttle input the car slowly and gradually inches towards 4000-5000RPM with greatly reduced acceleration (Accelerator pressure still making no difference to the acceleration or gear shift) and then after forever it shifts to D4.

This problem is repeating itself across all gear shifts. The main issues here is the loss of power coupled with delayed upshifts and downshifts.

The 6 month checkup returned no faults or issues and the car was given an okay with no problems.

On account of the symptoms, I have a hypothesis of the fuel filter being clogged, however I am no expert.

Will go the service center today or tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend else it'll be tough to concentrate on work

Any advice / recommendations over what is wrong? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTp0wer (Post 4255729)
Any advice / recommendations over what is wrong? please:

Sounds like DSG but being such a new car, please consider:

1. Contaminated fuel prospect (already envisaged) Do you always fill up from the same bunk?

2. Has anything 'different' been done with the car before you left it idle?

3. Any chance of rat-bites affecting the wiring?

Keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4255884)

3. Any chance of rat-bites affecting the wiring?

Keep us posted!

Bingo!

I visited the VW service center yesterday hoping it isn't a major problem. The engine light had come on the moment I started driving in the evening.

Once a preliminary analysis was done, they found a chewed electrical wire, that was connected to the fuel injection assembly. This must've been the cause of loss in the torque and power. Further, they found some bird feathers too! Apparently, the rat had made itself comfortable last week when I was travelling and the car was lying dormant.

The estimate for the wire and the pin that was visibly damaged has been quoted at around 2K.

Have left the car at the workshop today, more details on further damage (if any) in the wiring harness to be received by EOD. Hope it doesn't break the bank :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTp0wer (Post 4256429)
Once a preliminary analysis was done, they found a chewed electrical wire, that was connected to the fuel injection assembly. This must've been the cause of loss in the torque and power. Further, they found some bird feathers too! Apparently, the rat had made itself comfortable last week when I was travelling and the car was lying dormant.

Glad TBHP could help :-).

There is an entire thread on the rat menace. Immediately start off on the precautions - this monsoon season is usually the worst time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4256519)
Glad TBHP could help :-).

There is an entire thread on the rat menace. Immediately start off on the precautions - this monsoon season is usually the worst time.

Thank you, have started researching on ways to keep the rats off the bay from the forum.

Update: VW called and suggested to change 2 wires for 900/- each, and labor charges of 3000/- :eek: !

Hope I'm not being duped by the service center, although I have no other alternative than getting it changed.

On the "System Information" option of the RCD 330G HU (VW GT TSI), there is an option to "Update Software". Where does one get info that there is an update? If there is one, how does one update the software?

Hi everyone,

Can someone help measure and post the time it takes the coolant temperature to reach 90C from ambient on cold start of the TSI?

I have a feeling that the temperature on my car ramps up a bit fast. I don't have a precise number though.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinivasnvns (Post 4258528)
Hi everyone,

Can someone help measure and post the time it takes the coolant temperature to reach 90C from ambient on cold start of the TSI?

I have a feeling that the temperature on my car ramps up a bit fast. I don't have a precise number though.

Cheers.

On monsoon and summer mornings with ambient temp of 24 25 C it takes 5 mins and 1.2 km to get to 90
This includes me driving out of the apt complex. Joining a small lane then joining the main road.
This 1 km includes 3 traffic lights. Usually i have to wait 30 secs at each light.
I switch off the engine if it's going to take longer.

It definitely takes a lot longer during winters. Temp in Pune drops to 10 C during the night and winter mornings too are much cooler with temp around early teens

I do keep a light foot. DSG anyways shifts up at 2 to 2.5 K to keep the revs in check

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom (Post 4258540)
On monsoon and summer mornings with ambient temp of 24 25 C it takes 5 mins and 1.2 km to get to 90

Thank you for the note. Have you see the time it takes if you leave the engine idling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinivasnvns (Post 4258548)
Thank you for the note. Have you see the time it takes if you leave the engine idling?

From a cold start @ 30 deg C, it took about 10 minutes 15 seconds, idling, to get to 90 deg C (the max that it reaches) on my GT TSI with the A/C turned off.

On normal driving, it takes about 1.5 Kms / 5 mins with normal city traffic with the A/C turned off.

Note: I do not turn on my A/C till the engine temperature reaches its max (90 deg C).