Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:13   #361
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I am really happy to see so much discussion on this launch. Without adding to what's already been said here are some of my observations on the Polo's and Vento's. I currently own both of them and both are TDIs. The electrically assisted steering does wonders in the city. And I am completely at ease with it on quicker drives as well. The Polo feels more planted of the two primarily because the suspension setup is harder than the Vento. It did not take me time to settle in with the electrically assisted steering as I have learnt how to "make the steering feel hard" by sheer hand mechanics. Totally I have done over 60,000 km in both cars combined and feel at ease whether the car is at 10 or 190km/hr (yes it's a stock Vento) . I love both my cars and they have their own mannerisms BUT the TSI GT is now giving me sleepless nights.

Last edited by NevGin : 2nd May 2013 at 20:14.
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:21   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
It did not take me time to settle in with the electrically assisted steering as I have learnt how to "make the steering feel hard" by sheer hand mechanics.
How exactly?
Can you describe this sheer hand mechanics?
Did you try it on the Verna yet?
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:57   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
The dealer says that GT has 2yrs unlimited kms warranty but no extended warranty on offer as of now. Can anyone at other places confirm this?
Here is a screen-capture of the last page of the brochure. Show this to the dealer if they are still going with the ‘no extended warranty’ route.

Click the image for a larger version
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo-gt-warranty.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 21:27   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How exactly?
Can you describe this sheer hand mechanics?
Did you try it on the Verna yet?
Sure? Next time I drive to Pune I will meet up and show you how I weight my hand.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:36   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Oh and btw, I did reply to your earlier query about the no. of gears the City AT has, in Post #306, maybe you missed!
In case your query was not answered, City AT has a 5 speed transmission.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:46   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
The dealer says that GT has 2yrs unlimited kms warranty but no extended warranty on offer as of now. Can anyone at other places confirm this?
The dealer in Delhi at MGF Metropolitant has confirmed the 2 year extended warranty and the DSG is covered in it. If your dealer is saying otherwise he is bluffing or is not aware. Check with other dealers in your city. I would highly recommend going for the extend warranty.
blacknebula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:09   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
The dealer in Delhi at MGF Metropolitant has confirmed the 2 year extended warranty and the DSG is covered in it. If your dealer is saying otherwise he is bluffing or is not aware. Check with other dealers in your city. I would highly recommend going for the extend warranty.
If the DSG is covered for an extended period of time, that should take care of some concerns around the failures of the DSG Box, for potential owners. This is good news!
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:27   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
In case your query was not answered, City AT has a 5 speed transmission.
Hahahha, I own a City AT myself and am very much aware that it has a 5 speed transmission!

This and few more posts were written in order to reply another bhpian tbppjpr's query about me being capable of managing 7 gears through a set of paddles because right now I am used to managing only 5.

I advice you to read the string of posts before quoting and replying to one. Saves time and energy.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:36   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Hahahha, I own a City AT myself and am very much aware that it has a 5 speed transmission!

This and few more posts were written in order to reply another bhpian tbppjpr's query about me being capable of managing 7 gears through a set of paddles because right now I am used to managing only 5.

I advice you to read the string of posts before quoting and replying to one. Saves time and energy.
Your advice duly noted. Was reading the thread backwards, hence the confusion . Missed the intended sarcasm.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:47   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Better to keep the cars than sell them for a pittance. And these are perfectly good cars.
Yes, we use the Fusion as our regular odd job car (school, market, train station, airport trips) and though it still feels fantastic we might need to get a more modern car, with modern safety features a few years later when the Fusion would feel older - something like the Yeti perhaps or a crossover not built to a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Regarding the differences between the Palio and the GT TSI, I enjoyed the TSI's turbo boost quite a lot. The Palio's acceleration is linear, whereas the TSI starts a bit slower and then accelerates very quickly when the turbo spools up.
Yea, I know the feeling! That's the same feeling I get with our Laura TSI. Till about 1500-1800 RPM it feels like similar the fusion and then it just takes off. If today I was looking for a powerful hatchback, this is the only one I would buy. When I bought the Fusion, the only options were the Fusion, the palio Stile, just discontinued Palio Adventure and the Chevy SRV. Guess we had more options then for a decently powerful hatch.
animeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:58   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And yes, they should have offered more colour options for this variant. Don’t understand the need to restrict to just 3 colours.
Totally agree with you.. vb_san..

So much of discussion over here on various subjects, but very few short discussions on the colour options given.

IMO, VW should have come up with a new colour with this pathbreaker hatch. This has been a strategy adopted on launches in the past. No doubt how detailed eye we petrolheads have, but when it comes to someone who is just wanting the car with automatic variant, colour option is definitely a decision factor here. I dont think this is any reason for cutting the costs here...
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:55   #372
BHPian

I have a question to Gurus -

Is it easy to swap the suspension with some aftermarket suspension (like bilstien) considering it has ESP? Please don't beat me on asking that, I have idea of what ESP does but have no idea how it does that (no idea about technicalities of ESP).

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd May 2013 at 18:57.
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:00   #373
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Test drove one in Bangalore today. First, the price: it is 9.9 L on the road, including extended warrant. So, affordable is a bit of stretch.

The sales guy, (a singularly uninformed guy) dropped the next shocker: the gearbox has only a 6 month warranty & the extended warranty does not cover it. I doubt that it is true but that is what he said.

Next my driving impressions: the car was no slouch to drive. Indeed, it was quite nice to drive. But it was not grin inducingly nice. The acceleration was smooth but did really 'enthusiast'. Take off in 1st gear was a bit hesitant; could also be my learning curve. Brakes were adequate at best.

Music system was good but did not sound like the claimed Bose speakers.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:11   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I have a question to Gurus -

Is it easy to swap the suspension with some aftermarket suspension (like bilstien) considering it has ESP? Please don't beat me on asking that, I have idea of what ESP does but have no idea how it does that (no idea about technicalities of ESP).
As far as I know ESP has nothing to do with suspension. It monitors the steering and individual wheel speed etc. So it should be ok to go with after market suspension but it might void warranty of the car and that's not a good thing considering that the Tsi has the problematic gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Folks

Test drove one in Bangalore today. First, the price: it is 9.9 L on the road, including extended warrant. So, affordable is a bit of stretch.

The sales guy, (a singularly uninformed guy) dropped the next shocker: the gearbox has only a 6 month warranty & the extended warranty does not cover it. I doubt that it is true but that is what he said.

Next my driving impressions: the car was no slouch to drive. Indeed, it was quite nice to drive. But it was not grin inducingly nice. The acceleration was smooth but did really 'enthusiast'. Take off in 1st gear was a bit hesitant; could also be my learning curve. Brakes were adequate at best.

Music system was good but did not sound like the claimed Bose speakers.
Sorry for the back to back posts Mods. Saw this post after I had posted the previous one.

I just spoke to the SA at Downtown VW from whom I bought my Jetta. He said the extended warranty is available (2+2) and the gearbox is covered. I might go in for the TD tomorrow.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd May 2013 at 22:21. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:50   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
As far as I know ESP has nothing to do with suspension. It monitors the steering and individual wheel speed etc. So it should be ok to go with after market suspension but it might void warranty of the car and that's not a good thing considering that the Tsi has the problematic gearbox.
Considering that softer suspension behaves differently to the quick turn ins and and is more prone to the body roll, ESP may actually factor in the suspension set up too.

Last edited by Guna : 3rd May 2013 at 23:54.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks