Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 11:28   #3466
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Also after switching off the engine,I am unable to remove the key if not slotted in P mode. Also I cannot move from P to any other mode once the key is removed.! Is it an error or its the standard procedure? If so, in P mode, if they tows the car, won't the transmission go for a toss?

Someone pls guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
They don't tow automatic cars. Cars with automatic transmission are just clamped.
I think they don't care if its AT or MT. Even in MT people have the habit of leaving in gear while parking. But atleast here, they do tow using a recovery van that lifts the front wheels off surface, so there's no damage to the gearbox.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 11:29   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I think they don't care if its AT or MT. Even in MT people have the habit of leaving in gear while parking. But atleast here, they do tow using a recovery van that lifts the front wheels off surface, so there's no damage to the gearbox.
They don't tow automatics in India. It's an unsaid rule among towing agencies.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 11:42   #3468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
So tell me, what happens when RTO tows your GT on a bad day
I believe they tow the vehicles on the rear wheels with front wheels lifted. So, this will not damage the gear box. Having said that there are some other questions that come to my mind related to towing for which I do not have answers.

1. What about automatic cars with RWD like BMW's?
2. What if hand brake is engaged? Does hand brake only lock the front wheels or all the four wheels?

Maybe the towing agencies know these situations and deal with it accordingly.

Quote:
Also after switching off the engine,I am unable to remove the key if not slotted in P mode. Also I cannot move from P to any other mode once the key is removed.! Is it an error or its the standard procedure? If so, in P mode, if they tows the car, won't the transmission go for a toss?

Someone pls guide.
It is by design that you are not able to remove the key without moving to P mode. This is to make sure that the gear box is in Park mode before you get off the car.

If they tow with front wheels lifted, the gear box is not affected. In P mode, the car would give lot of resistance to move, as the parking pin locks the drive shaft. If the car is forcefully dragged, then yes, the parking pin (and God knows what other components) in the gear box will go for a toss.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 11:43   #3469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also after switching off the engine,I am unable to remove the key if not slotted in P mode. Also I cannot move from P to any other mode once the key is removed.! Is it an error or its the standard procedure?

Someone pls guide.
This is standard and is a safety feature. Prevents you from removing the key and getting out in D mode. The handbrake also does not really hold the car if it in D mode. You cannot also start the car if u switch it off in D mode. You will have to move to N or P.

These are nice checks built in by VW, downside is if you need to give someone else the car, A 15 Min class is necessary. And can puzzle you if you have just bought the car.

I read in the manual that there is a manual override lever below the gear stick ( I assume under the leather covering at the base). That can be used to move the lever to N in case of an emergency ( car not starting). I have not tried to locate or try it. Anyone here has used it?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 12:44   #3470
Senior - BHPian

Which is why they don't tow autos. The front and rear wheel drive thing isn't really their concern. For them, automatic means expensive car. And they don't ever tow away expensive cars!
They're scared they'll damage them, simple! At least in Mumbai! There are times when I need to go to an area where there is just no parking. I prefer taking the auto, since the worst that may ever happen will be a clamp. That's acceptable when you're in a hurry or don't have time to find parking in crowded areas.
Old 8th December 2015, 15:43   #3471
BHPian

Anyone here has any idea of where to get a review of Revo remap for the 1.2 tsi? Have seen posts on social media of cars with the map.
As of now I know of the following remaps:
1. Revo
2. Pete's
3. VAGTUNE

Looking to get a remap, not immediately though, just doing my research.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 10:17   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Anyone here has any idea of where to get a review of Revo remap for the 1.2 tsi? Have seen posts on social media of cars with the map.

As of now I know of the following remaps:

1. Revo

2. Pete's

3. VAGTUNE

Looking to get a remap, not immediately though, just doing my research.

Hey Sid, you can check out TOT - tune O tronics in bangalore
leprechaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 16:29   #3473
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Booked a GT TSI carbon steel today. The wait begins. Have been promised delivery before the month end.

No discounts.

Freebies : mud flaps, floor mats, sun blinds for the rear windows (like in the exquisite edition)

Others: Corp discount and insurance of my choice.

Queries to the GT gurus:

1. Any options for a horn upgrade. The stock ones are pathetic.

2. Best tyre option in the stock size. Looking at Bridgestone Turanza ER 300. Don't know much about them. Or to retain the alnacs? Had anybody tried the yokos Earth 1 for the polo? Am looking at a comfortable and silent touring tyre rather than performance tyre.

3. What bulbs does the polo use for headlights? Planning on a xtreme vision bulbs.

4. Is there an option of auto dimming irvm? Not a DIY person. If so where can I source one?

5. Any head unit with CarPlay available for polo?

6. Where can I source good quality black Vw emblems?

Thanks

Happy motoring.

Last edited by differential : 9th December 2015 at 16:39.
differential is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 16:38   #3474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

I read in the manual that there is a manual override lever below the gear stick ( I assume under the leather covering at the base). That can be used to move the lever to N in case of an emergency ( car not starting). I have not tried to locate or try it. Anyone here has used it?
Had to tow a friend's submerged Ecosport AT and the technician opened the trim around the gear lever and did something to enable the shift to neutral.

Found a video for BMW:

Last edited by kiku007 : 9th December 2015 at 16:42.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 17:03   #3475
BHPian

Hi, Congrats on your car. The car is truly amazing and Im sure you will enjoy every bit of owning and driving it.
I have replied to a few of your questions, as per my personal experience, in Bold letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Booked a GT TSI carbon steel today. The wait begins. Have been promised delivery before the month end.

No discounts.

Freebies : mud flaps, floor mats, sun blinds for the rear windows (like in the exquisite edition)

Queries to the GT gurus:

You can get the twin horn setup done at the dealership workshop itself. Just ask them.

2. Best tyre option in the stock size. Looking at Bridgestone Turanza ER 300. Don't know much about them. Or to retain the alnacs? Had anybody tried the yokos Earth 1 for the polo? Am looking at a comfortable and silent touring tyre rather than performance tyre.
Apollo Alnacs suck beyond 12000km. Massive understeer at anything above decent speeds. Get 195/60 R15 Yokohama Decibel series tyres. Amazing comfort, quiet ride and good grip levels. Been using them on my Vento and highly satisfied.
3. What bulbs does the polo use for headlights? Planning on a xtreme vision bulbs.
XtremeVision 60/55 is the best upgrade. I have tried Osram NightBreakers too but XtremeVision gives best output for Polo headlamp setup.

4. Is there an option of auto dimming irvm? Not a DIY person. If so where can I source one?

6. Where can I source good quality black Vw emblems?

Thanks

Happy motoring.
Old 9th December 2015, 17:04   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congos for the GT. For the horn,unfortunately VW has stopped providing dual tone ones (single pair that consists of High and low tone horns).As of now they are giving single tone (high tone I presume) horn.Your options would be
1-Buy the high or low whichever is required,you get the ol wraaap sound,which i love personally.
2-Minda trumpets
3-Roots Windtone
4-Saeger trumpets (have them on my swift since 2 years,still working)
5-Hella Redgrill/Supertone
All the best for the new car.Looking forward for the ownership thread.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th December 2015 at 17:05.
Old 9th December 2015, 17:58   #3477
BHPian

Quote:

No discounts.

Congratulations on the buy!

I'm in the process of finalising the POLO GT TSI for my better half. I'm based in Trichy. The dealer here is very discouraging about buying a GT. The SA says it takes a minimum of 3 months for delivery.
Can you share the name of the dealership in Coimbatore so I can get one too?

We are partial to the Carbon steel too.
Old 9th December 2015, 18:26   #3478

Booked a Flashy Red GT TSI for my better half on Sunday 6th.
Except Corporate discounts got nothing much , delivery promised by 18th/19th, also went in for Zero Dep Insuarnce & Extended Warranty support.

Not thinking of buying any accessories from showroom except mud flaps.

Planning for
1. Center Arm Rest
2. Tyre Upgrades - will go for P3ST or MC5 as per the posts by other experts
3. 3M Treatment
4. Floor Mats - Any reference/links would be helpfull.
5 Seat Covers - wanted to go for leather have sent mails to Karlson and Hide-In no repsonse , please let me know if anybody has good references in Pune .
Old 9th December 2015, 18:55   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Hi, Congrats on your car. The car is truly amazing and Im sure you will enjoy every bit of owning and driving it.

I have replied to a few of your questions, as per my personal experience, in Bold letters.

Can you specify the bulb type, as in h4, h11 etc. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Congratulations on the buy!

I'm in the process of finalising the POLO GT TSI for my better half. I'm based in Trichy. The dealer here is very discouraging about buying a GT. The SA says it takes a minimum of 3 months for delivery.
Can you share the name of the dealership in Coimbatore so I can get one too?

We are partial to the Carbon steel too.

Ramani cars Coimbatore.
White is 3 months.
Red or carbon is less than a month.

Update: car in transit. Should get it within 10 days.
Old 9th December 2015, 19:17   #3480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: car in transit. Should get it within 10 days.
Congratulations on the new GT. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles with smiles!

Quote:
The dealership has dual tone horn as official accessory. Costs around 2.5K (I don't remember the exact amount).

Quote:
I guess you will need to go one size above to 195/60 for good options. At this size, you will find Michelin P3ST and Continental MC5s which are very good in terms of comfort, grip and noise. I have 205/55 Continental MC5s are they are super smooth and silent.

Quote:
Polo uses H7 55W bulbs for headlights. Individual bulbs for high and low beams. The stock bulbs are pathetic. Philips Xtreme Vision H7 is a good upgrade.

Quote:
When I upgraded the HU in my GT, I had searched for options with CarPlay, but could not find any. Maybe you will find options in a few months time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks