Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/135550-volkswagen-polo-1-2l-gt-tsi-official-review-229.html)

Dear friends, I have the first service checkup (6 months) tomorrow. I would like to know what all checks are they supposed to do (mandatory) and what additional checkups can I ask for? Also, should I go for any recalibration/mapping (DSG settings) etc? I do hear a ting-ting kind of noise on bad roads coming from under the bonnet somewhere, like something metallic loose that keeps touching somewhere. I shall show that. Any educated guesses that I may make them look for? Also, only over last two days I am seeing some pickup drop. I have driven on a non-regular road for me with some inclines, but even accounting for that I can feel some drop. What shall I get checked? My TSI has done 4800 km and am located in Thane.

Thanks.

I have another query. If you accelerate in neutral, what does your rpm rise to? Mine goes only till 4000, is it normal?

The neutral RPM shot up when you press the accelerator is completely normal

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinchavan (Post 3861116)

I have another query.

6 month check up is pretty much bogus eye wash, they'll check the fluids.
I required engine oil top up at 6800kms.( I get the car serviced at 7500-8000kms instead of 15k)

There's a rev limiter in N, nothing to worry about. On a sidenote, i didnt even get the 6m check up, directly got the service and bought a can of oil a month or so before for top ups.

A question
Has anyone got the fuel filter changed? If so, how much did it cost and the time required for the change if you can remember that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papillon (Post 3860732)
Hello,

Wanted to know that will this DSG AT make sense in a city like Jaipur also? Or when we talk about AT being a boon in city traffic, we mean cities such as Bangalore, Delhi etc?
Thanks.

It is basically useful in any situation where there is a lot of gear shifting involved. This will be true in most of our big cities and even in crowded highways. Of course it will help more in the crowded metro's where there can be crawling traffic for kilometers- Really tires out your left leg.

Unlike other AT's the Polo GT has the added benefit of a fun to drive AT car. Most AT's we have today are relatively boring because they come with average transmissions mated to average engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3861188)
It is basically useful in any situation where there is a lot of gear shifting involved. This will be true in most of our big cities and even in crowded highways. Of cours
========
Most AT's we have today are relatively boring because they come with average transmissions mated to average engines.

Thanks Rajeevraj.

Is it more fun to drive than the GT TDI? I am confused between these two?

Will the Auto Box of 2015 Endeavour also fall into the 'boring' category you mentioned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papillon (Post 3861199)
Thanks Rajeevraj.

Will the Auto Box of 2015 Endeavour also fall into the 'boring' category you mentioned?

Have not driven the GT TDI but from online reports, they are pretty much evenly matched, I would give the edge to the GT TSI over the current GT TDI (which uses the same 1.5L engine as a regular TDI in a higher state of tune). Ultimately I think you need to drive both and judge.

When I mentioned about the boring AT's, was mostly referring to the sub 10 Lakh Segment. No real experience to comment on the higher segment AT's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papillon (Post 3861199)
Thanks Rajeevraj.

Yes, the exhaust note and NVH levels definitely.

(My previous vehicle was an engaging 2007 Ford Fiesta diesel, but having moved over to TSI, I am getting converted to petrol. When I opted for diesel back then, the diesel trend was just picking up and I believe the petrol trend would pick up from here on, no stats, just a gut feel :))

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinchavan (Post 3861337)

(My previous vehicle was an engaging 2007 Ford Fiesta diesel, but having moved over to TSI, I am getting converted to petrol. When I opted for diesel back then, the diesel trend was just picking up and I believe the petrol trend would pick up from here on, no stats, just a gut feel :))

We both are on the same boat.

When I was looking for a car in 2013, the diesel craze was very much in market and I also followed it by picking the one with a decent NVH and refinement in that segment (Verna). But now after buying the GT TSI, I am sure that I will never even look back at diesel anymore.

I am also back to good old petrol days. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinchavan (Post 3861337)
==========
I am also back to good old petrol days. :)

Thanks guys.

Can I assume that your daily/monthly drive allows you to say this about petrol? I want to understand that what if my car will run for around 2000 KM/month. Should I still go for the TSI and not the TDI?

Please help me get this straight in my head so that I can convince the family. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papillon (Post 3861496)

I want to understand that what if my car will run for around 2000 KM/month. Should I still go for the TSI and not the TDI?

Hey Papillon its not really as complicated as you think dude. :D

Its quite simple a math and I hope some of my following views helps you with your decision:

- If your present running is already 2k kms every month, there can be no 2 ways about going in for an oil burner a.k.a TDI.

- If you have projected a monthly running at a max of 2k kms, there are a few possibilities that it may also be <1k kms sometime. So if its the ease of commute that matters to you with an occasional highway blast, TSI can also be a great option, though TDI will still make sense.

- If you could care less about mileage/frugal fuel bills/engine noise etc, TSI makes the best case for itself. A manual can never give you the comfort of an auto tranny within B2B traffic.

All said and done, you have to TD both cars extensively before deciding your pick. The major problem that you will have is that both the GT TDI & TSI retail at the exact same 'Ex Showroom', so you will not be favoured by any sort of price variation.

P.S - Only w.r.t VW GTs, GT TDi is a safer bet IMO whether its FE, Gearbox, etc.

TSI would be a difficult choice to convince the family. :). Except the AT part, it is a an emotional choice than rational. And TSI/Polo itself is more a driver's car and doesn't offer as much space/goodies for the family as some of the competition does (including Punto).

As regards economics, 2000 km per month shall favour diesel. I am at about 1000 pm. I had budgeted for about 10 kmpl mixed driving, but am managing 12 easily. TDI should up it to 15-16. But if you are comparing economics, don't just look at the operating cost, but lifecycle too. I believe Petrol serves you 30% longer without significant deterioration in the performance compared to diesel.

Quote:

Thanks guys.

Can I assume that your daily/monthly drive allows you to say this about petrol? I want to understand that what if my car will run for around 2000 KM/month. Should I still go for the TSI and not the TDI?

Please help me get this straight in my head so that I can convince the family. please:

Dear Papillion,

Emotionally, petrol-heads love petrol and diesel-heads love diesel.

Economically, for any level/type of car, the diesel cars are costlier than their equivalent petrol models. Assuming other factors do not change (unfortunately, many times they do change - like unequal specs of petrol and diesel engines) you need to run roughly 100 km/day or 2,500 km/month to recover the additional cost of the diesel car.

Then there are the other factors like NVH, smell, weight, pickup, etc which may or may not be different.

Quote:

Thanks guys.

Since the price is almost same for TDI and TSI, you save money for every km your drive TDI. Thus from solely money point of view, you should buy TDI. At 2000 km per month, the annual fuel saving in TDI would be about 45k (multiply that by the number of years you would keep the car). I am not sure of maintenance cost difference between TDI and TSI. Other members can guide on that.

However, you have to also consider who is the driver and where is the car being driven. If the driver has trouble using manual transmission or if the city traffic is too high, then TSI is the obvious choice. Having driven diesel manual for 2 years in Mumbai, TSI is a boon for me. I cannot imagine going back to manual for daily city commute. Why should I kill my knee and take stress for a same routine office-home commute? Also, with AT, my wife has started driving around in the city and thus it feels more independent for both of us. So you need to decide whether such factors apply to your use case and if you would like to spend an additional 45k per year for these benefits.

@GKMahajan - Doesn't Polo TSI and TDI cost almost the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manish84 (Post 3861563)
Since the price is almost same for TDI and TSI, you save money for every km your drive TDI. Thus from solely money point of view, you should buy TDI.

@GKMahajan - Doesn't Polo TSI and TDI cost almost the same?

No, they don't cost the same. I believe the AT with DSG adds around 1.5 lacs in OTR. So it's not a like to like comparison.

Also people mention only the AT and the Turbo, but TSI has a direct injection engine. Something developed for racing cars, unlike other petrol models from competition, including the new Figo

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinchavan (Post 3861600)
No, they don't cost the same. I believe the AT with DSG adds around 1.5 lacs in OTR. So it's not a like to like comparison.

Also people mention only the AT and the Turbo, but TSI has a direct injection engine. Something developed for racing cars, unlike other petrol models from competition, including the new Figo

Polo GT TSI and GT TDI costs the same. Please check. The price difference is there in normal Polo.

http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation...45&t=191050996
http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation...45&t=191051082