Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 10:40   #3076
BHPian

Something I saw in traffic 10 minutes ago shocked me so much that I had to post it here. A new Dark Gray Polo GT TSI with 2 occupants, a young lady in the rear seat and a chauffeur driving the car ( Frustrated)! People shouldn't buy hot hatches to be driven around by chauffeurs.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:25   #3077
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Maybe someone else in the family is a keen driver. Maybe the chauffer is! Maybe the young lady drives herself some days, and likes to relax on others. I don't think you should have made the assumptions from one sighting.

Anyway, we all have different reasons for our buying decisions, and we are free to indulge them
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:39   #3078
BHPian

I have been promised delivery of my red TSI later this week. Plan to upgrade the stock tires to Yoko S immediately, get some 3D mats, and have a driver armrest fixed in due course.

Any other expenses I should indulge in immediately (ex - 3M paint protection, any sun-film etc)? Not that I want to spend, but wanna ensure that I tick all the stuff that's absolutely must and helps in long run.

Also on mats, are these good (Star 3D Mats)? http://www.carmatsindia.com/

Last edited by ipsanand : 1st September 2015 at 13:47. Reason: Missed adding information
ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 14:16   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
These mats are decent. I have been using them for last 21 months. They still look/feel "as good as" new.
Quote:
Any other expenses I should indulge in immediately (ex - 3M paint protection, any sun-film etc)? [/url]
Instead of going for the 3M paint protection you could buy a good sealant(e.g. Ultima paint guard plus), and try the DIY(there is a very good thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-guide.html). One application easily lasts for 6 months

In case you have not driven turbo engines, please try practicing "turbo cooling".
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:51   #3080
BHPian

Hey thanks - I will order the mats right away.

I currently drive a Jetta TDI, but was'nt aware of 'turbo cooling'...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post

In case you have not driven turbo engines, please try practicing "turbo cooling".
Old 1st September 2015, 15:57   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks - I will order the mats right away.

Its more of rule to keep in mind for 'turbo petrols'.

Quoting from another thread:
Quote:
Turbo-petrol owners : Keep in mind that your car generates more heat than turbo-diesels. The above-mentioned procedures are highly recommended for turbo-petrols too.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 17:53   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't agree with this.

My daily drive is a Polo TSI and I drive within the CBD, read - moderate to heavy traffic. I get 10-11 under normal driving conditions, i.e. light foot for the most part with the occasional burst of acceleration (I never fail to take it up to 4k revs in 2nd and 3rd at least twice in the day ) to get ahead of annoyingly slow moving vehicles. A similarly driven 1.6 MPI will return worse economy figures. A friend who drives both will vouch for this.
I have a 4 speed automatic Altis at home, the 1.8 gives a kpl of 10 in Mumbai.

My SX4 1.6 manual gives a kpl of 12 in City.

Considering both are 2009 models and naturally aspirated engines, they still give a decent mileage.
Old 1st September 2015, 18:45   #3083
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that there is no cutout for dead-pedal.

Otherwise seem good, but local market sells exact same looking mats for half price (or even lesser). I've some other brand that looks exactly the same (for Rs. 1200) but not sure of quality, since I've had these only for 6 months (no problem so far!)
Old 1st September 2015, 18:57   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe someone else in the family is a keen driver. Maybe the chauffer is! Maybe the young lady drives herself some days, and likes to relax on others. I don't think you should have made the assumptions from one sighting.

Anyway, we all have different reasons for our buying decisions, and we are free to indulge them
That assumption was on the spur of the moment! Thanks for responding and restoring sanity.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 19:14   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Re-posting my earlier post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
So, final conclusion is:
Suppose if I am NOT driving in the turbo mode(i.e below 1500 rpms) I could switch off the engine without idling. In most of the bumper-to-bumper traffic the engine does not use the turbo(i.e rpms are lesser than 1500).

But if I am driving long distance(in rpms above 1500), then I would need to wait for few seconds before switching off the engine(30 seconds in case of normal driving, and 60 seconds in case of high speed driving).
Old 1st September 2015, 19:33   #3086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
... restoring sanity.
You owe me one!

I'm sure I'll be needing it soon
Old 1st September 2015, 20:34   #3087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I have a 4 speed automatic Altis at home, the 1.8 gives a kpl of 10 in Mumbai.

My SX4 1.6 manual gives a kpl of 12 in City.

Considering both are 2009 models and naturally aspirated engines, they still give a decent mileage.
I'm sure you get good fuel efficiency while driving your Altis and SX4. But I'm talking about the Polo 1.6 here. Exercise the throttle even a little bit and the mileage seems to take a hit. Maybe speedkills could pitch in with his inputs here. He used to drive it before getting a Vento TDI.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:05   #3088
BHPian

So VW decided to make it public finally, in today's TOI.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-ad_1.jpg
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:49   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
So VW decided to make it public finally, in today's TOI.
The Polo has come a long way since it was first introduced with that 3-pot petrol clunker, I still remember their first newspaper advertisements which had stuff like '3-spoke steering wheel', 'beige interiors' & '2 din stereo' listed as features. The next upgrade was even more of a joke with an external Bluetooth kit & charging cable hanging from the sun-visor.

The first sincere attempt of an improved version was the 2014 upgrade with the newer steering & built in buttons & finally more practical features like foldable rear neck-rests & better headlamps. I will never recommend the 3 cyl manual nor the rather harsh sounding diesels but the TSi is THE best car to go for in the 11L budget (including 4 yr warranty). VW crams every practical feature possible in European markets but they seemed to think India was too downmarket and ignorant, now I guess they know better. I'd say that now with these following feature upgrades the TSi becomes a better value fun to drive car than say the Mini Cooper which is priced 4x more.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:07   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The Polo has come a long way since it was first introduced with that 3-pot petrol clunker, I still remember their first newspaper advertisements which had stuff like '3-spoke steering wheel', 'beige interiors' & '2 din stereo' listed as features. The next upgrade was even more of a joke with an external Bluetooth kit & charging cable hanging from the sun-visor.

The first sincere attempt of an improved version was the 2014 upgrade with the newer steering & built in buttons & finally more practical features like foldable rear neck-rests & better headlamps. I will never recommend the 3 cyl manual nor the rather harsh sounding diesels but the TSi is THE best car to go for in the 11L budget (including 4 yr warranty). VW crams every practical feature possible in European markets but they seemed to think India was too downmarket and ignorant, now I guess they know better. I'd say that now with these following feature upgrades the TSi becomes a better value fun to drive car than say the Mini Cooper which is priced 4x more.

Those who missed the news about the updated Polo. Looks like the best buy under 10lac for a driver's car ( for premium hatch ).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-features.html
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks