Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 21:36   #3061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
VW keeps updating the features on their cars and the ones who have taken the plunge feel crappy. It's akin to a dog easing the bladder at intervals. Looks strategic to keep their cars
rolling in the local market leading to heartburns for the existing owners. Wonder why they do not offer these upgraded features to the excisting owners at the cost. If so, am sure going in for the ORVM which is sadly missed in
the insane traffic we have.
Look at it this way. It doesn't often remove features from cars and escalate the prices like Hyundai with the i20!
Old 30th August 2015, 22:23   #3062
MSC
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

This is one of the hot hatches. I wish VW had given a manual transmission as well as an option. Giving a 7 speed DSG auto gearbox is a good thing but not everyone is into auto transmissions.
One thing I have noted VW is more interested in doing business in tier 1 and tier 2 cities. It has a poor presence in small states. Leave dealers, small states don't even have a service station. The enthusiasts in tier 3 cities don't have any option but just drool on 1.2 Tsi and Tdi.

Last edited by MSC : 30th August 2015 at 22:24.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:05   #3063
BHPian

It's been with me for eight months, and I gave up my sedan!

In fact I don't mind braving a 35 km east Delhi to Dwarka drive couple of days in a week at peak hours when the metro is easier! I keep debating every time, 'is it worth it?' and the answer is YES, always (well, almost always)!

Having driven a top spec Toyota Avalon for 3500 miles recently (in the US) I do miss the Cruise Control the most for the highways. The other additional features currently on offer in the new GT TSI are bells and whistles one can live without. Although the Avalon had paddles, sedate drivers can live without them.

A recent test drive of the S Cross, my Maruti (Nexa) dealer insisted I have, simply told me that I'm spoilt for the rest of my driving life!

Oh, GT TSI DSG!

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 30th August 2015 at 23:15.
LithiumSunset is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 00:57   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
This is one of the hot hatches. I wish VW had given a manual transmission as well as an option. Giving a 7 speed DSG auto gearbox is a good thing but not everyone is into auto transmissions.
One thing I have noted VW is more interested in doing business in tier 1 and tier 2 cities. It has a poor presence in small states. Leave dealers, small states don't even have a service station. The enthusiasts in tier 3 cities don't have any option but just drool on 1.2 Tsi and Tdi.
So true, If I were Volkswage, I would bring a 6 speed manual stick shift in the 1.2 TSI and pitch it against the I20's and Swifts by reducing the price by a lakh. Has better chances of survival then its current price.

More so, with the negative publicity the DSG boxes have received, there is practically nothing that can go wrong in a Petrol TSI motor and DSG gets taken out of the equation with the stick shift so all the more better. Petrol motors have light clutches so a user won't mind shifting gears too.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 01:44   #3065
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
there is practically nothing that can go wrong in a Petrol TSI motor and DSG gets taken out of the equation with the stick shift so all the more better. Petrol motors have light clutches so a user won't mind shifting gears too.
Strategically speaking (from VW's perspective!), I beg to differ. If you give this TSI with manual transmission, it will get labeled as a fuel guzzler (hatch!) and it'll not sell even the numbers its selling today.

Today, at least with its 7 speed box it enjoys an image of a fuel efficient auto when the competition is at 4 speeds.

This TSI can be more fun with manual but the fact that auto's have their own mood, makes most people drive sedately. (by no means the auto is slow! it's just less fun in situations)

If I had this TSI in manual, I'd never get more than 10km/l. I think with the GT as my regular drive car (runs 70km-100kms/ day), I'm happy with the auto setup.

If the manual TSI is launched and gets tagged as a sub 10km/l FE car, the auto would also not sell.

Last edited by SLK : 31st August 2015 at 01:49.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 02:35   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Strategically speaking (from VW's perspective!), I beg to differ. If you give this TSI with manual transmission, it will get labeled as a fuel guzzler (hatch!) and it'll not sell even the numbers its selling today.

Today, at least with its 7 speed box it enjoys an image of a fuel efficient auto when the competition is at 4 speeds.

This TSI can be more fun with manual but the fact that auto's have their own mood, makes most people drive sedately. (by no means the auto is slow! it's just less fun in situations)

If I had this TSI in manual, I'd never get more than 10km/l. I think with the GT as my regular drive car (runs 70km-100kms/ day), I'm happy with the auto setup.

If the manual TSI is launched and gets tagged as a sub 10km/l FE car, the auto would also not sell.
Well, since the technological war fare is not making the TSI win any wars, why not try the economical one ?

Your logic is sound too, the TSI in manual avatar will give lesser mileage than the Automatic, but by how much is a question worth asking. If by a kilometer or so, its well worth the gamble to place the TSI in a price bracket near the I20's and Swift's. Right now at almost 8 lakhs ex showroom and with the lackluster rear seat space, it has not won the heart of the masses, why not try and price it a lakh around less with a manual option and see what happens. Maybe might work, maybe won't, Or have both the manual and automatic option both available in the TSI avatar, let the customer decide on what he wants.
Old 31st August 2015, 05:46   #3067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The normal petrol variants should still be NA. The TSi manual can be a high performance variant equivalent to the old 1.6

And the 1.2 TSi should be more fuel efficient than the 1.6 MPi petrol. I think that strategy should work for VW as petrol cars are making a comeback.
Old 31st August 2015, 12:56   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well, since the technological war fare is not making the TSI win any wars, why not try the economical one ?

Your logic is sound too, the TSI in manual avatar will give lesser mileage than the Automatic, but by how much is a question worth asking..
On the contrary, I think a manual polo tsi can be quite fuel efficient ( at least per arai rating which is critical for marketing). The jetta 1.4 tsi manual is rated 14.69kmpl and is a 1450kg car. Considering the polo is ~300kg lighter and that the 1.2 will be more efficient than the 1.4, an ARAI rating of 17-18 is feasible. The elite i20 has an ARAI rating of 18+. In addition the flat torque curve will definitely help to drive in an efficient manner.

Of course, how many people can control themselves and drive the tsi efficiently is a completely different matter.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:07   #3069

I took delivery of the upgraded GT TSI on last Wed (Aug 26th) from Volkswagen Whitefield. I had to go for an auto transmission as my 7 years old Altis's manual transmission was giving my left knee and back immense trouble due to the daily start-stop nightmare commute to whitefield, even though the Altis continue to be a great car to drive on a regular traffic.

The added features are as was reported earlier - cruise control, electrononic ovrm with indicators and cooled glovebox. The 2 pedals are perforated aluminium cover on regular rubbers. I thought the pedals will be complete aluminium. Not sure if this was always the case or it is another example of "cost cutting" exercise.

The car is great to drive. I am enjoying it, even though I haven't taken it for any long drive.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:43   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post

I took delivery of the upgraded GT TSI on last Wed (Aug 26th) from Volkswagen Whitefield.
Hey Altis congrats on your latest acquisition and welcome to the GT club & the TBHP forum !!

Looks like you hit a jackpot with all good things at once in life.

The GT twins always had the perforated aluminium cover on regular rubbers and was never a complete aluminium set.

Nevertheless, you have the best performance hatch in the market TODAY and just enjoy the drive. Please post the ownership report at the earliest.

Wish you a happy motoring.
Old 31st August 2015, 20:24   #3071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I took delivery of the upgraded GT TSI on last Wed (Aug 26th) from Volkswagen Whitefield. I had to go for an auto transmission as my 7 years old Altis's manual transmission was giving my left knee and back immense trouble due to the daily start-stop nightmare commute to whitefield, even though the Altis continue to be a great car to drive on a regular traffic.
Congratulations on your new TSI. I'm booking a white one this month end.

On another note, I'm worried about the gearbox. Has the problem with the DQ250 been resolved?

Last edited by ampere : 31st August 2015 at 21:10. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 31st August 2015, 21:12   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Can you take a video of the mirrors closing and opening? And where are the cruise control controls?
Old 31st August 2015, 22:01   #3073
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And the 1.2 TSi should be more fuel efficient than the 1.6 MPi petrol.
It's not! the 1.2TSI will return 8-9km/l if you upshift between 2k to 3k, while the NA 1.6 is not that bad.

As far as capability is concerned, yes, due to the sheer torque 1.2TSI can deliver decent numbers if driven carefully, but like the DSG, the manual transmission will not encourage you to drive sedately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the contrary, I think a manual polo tsi can be quite fuel efficient (at least per arai rating which is critical for marketing). .... In addition the flat torque curve will definitely help to drive in an efficient manner.

Of course, how many people can control themselves and drive the tsi efficiently is a completely different matter.
Yes, true, it can be, but with free revving nature, it will be similar to FIAT's 1.4T-jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Congratulations. Can you take a video of the mirrors closing and opening?
And that would be heart breaking to see!
Old 31st August 2015, 23:17   #3074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's not! the 1.2TSI will return 8-9km/l if you upshift between 2k to 3k, while the NA 1.6 is not that bad.

As far as capability is concerned, yes, due to the sheer torque 1.2TSI can deliver decent numbers if driven carefully, but like the DSG, the manual transmission will not encourage you to drive sedately.
I don't agree with this.

My daily drive is a Polo TSI and I drive within the CBD, read - moderate to heavy traffic. I get 10-11 under normal driving conditions, i.e. light foot for the most part with the occasional burst of acceleration (I never fail to take it up to 4k revs in 2nd and 3rd at least twice in the day ) to get ahead of annoyingly slow moving vehicles. A similarly driven 1.6 MPI will return worse economy figures. A friend who drives both will vouch for this.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 00:02   #3075
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for the fact that if a DSG-equipped car is driven sedately, it will turn up a better mileage than a manual car driven the same way. The point about 'humans shifting gears more sensibly' etc. doesn't work with DSG and no human can match the efficiency of a DSG gearbox.
Also, DSG itself doesn't make you drive quickly or make you rip your car. It's the engine, and your intent. I can eke out 13-14 kmpl in daily city and highway (mixed) drives and have fuel log data to support it.
frankmehta is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed