Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:34   #2821
Senior - BHPian

I did some digging and found out that in April-2015, VW 're-imported' one of its discontinued models, the Polo 1.6 petrol. So i am thinking it could be a spruced up version of the 1.6 Polo may be with GT kit and more power+DSG. Wishful thinking.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:08   #2822
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I did some digging and found out that in April-2015, VW 're-imported' one of its discontinued models, the Polo 1.6 petrol. So i am thinking it could be a spruced up version of the 1.6 Polo may be with GT kit and more power+DSG. Wishful thinking.
Zauba.com did yield that result of which your referring to!

Here it is :

Name:  ForumRunner_20150523_080840.png
Views: 2221
Size:  167.5 KB
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:24   #2823
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Helped a cousin do a PDI of a White GT TSI at VW Palace Cross yesterday. The missing fabric inserts on the door pad are a huge eyesore. The handbrake lever missing the leather cover is pardonable, but not the missing fabric on the door pad. I can't understand who takes such decisions. Things like this and also the dual tone horn are important in delivering that all important feel good factor to the owner. Heck those horns were even named after VW/ Skoda with people often referring to them as the 'VW/ Skoda' type horns. And these guys go and delete such brand defining qualities.

For those who care, my cousin's car came shod with Apollo Alnacs and not MRFs or Goodyears.

OT : Whilst I was in the showroom I checked out an on display Jetta Highline DSG. Wonderful car inside out. But all my feel good thoughts vanished when I opened the boot and saw what was hidden underneath the boot floor. Don't know if this was always the case, but the car now comes with a joke of a spare tyre. A 145 section bicycle tyre like space saver . Having a puncture will now be a cause for embarrassment also, if you have to drive around on that spare tyre.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:26   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

OT : Whilst I was in the showroom I checked out an on display Jetta Highline DSG. Wonderful car inside out. But all my feel good thoughts vanished when I opened the boot and saw what was hidden underneath the boot floor. Don't know if this was always the case, but the car now comes with a joke of a spare tyre. A 145 section bicycle tyre like space saver . Having a puncture will now be a cause for embarrassment also, if you have to drive around on that spare tyre.
Soon even that space saver spare wheel might get replaced by just a puncture repair kit and a compressor. Thats the standard kit in EU delivered VW group cars. Spare tyres are always an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Zauba.com did yield that result of which your referring to!
Or it could mean the facelift Vento is coming with a GT kit. The Russian Vento (Polo Sedan) has received the facelift with Projector lights, possibly bi-xenon setup, and LED daytime running lights. Could be the deal for India too as already the Rapid comes with Projector setup on top end trim! Although the picture shows that its not a facelift Vento because of the grille design, it makes one believe it is a Polo of some sort. In the age of Full LED head lights, projector setup seems to be inevitable on every car on sale today!

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 23rd May 2015 at 11:28.
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:42   #2825
Senior - BHPian

"An ultimate benchmark for power............. an unparalleled phenomenon is coming your way".....

Surely, such a teaser won't be for projector lamps and led lights or variant changes on existing GT TSi or TDI..

I'm guessing this should be towards a new engine or gearbox or engine/gearbox combination, given VW has been scripted the teaser text. This is my feeling.
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:42   #2826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... OT : Whilst I was in the showroom I checked out an on display Jetta Highline DSG. Wonderful car inside out. But all my feel good thoughts vanished when I opened the boot and saw what was hidden underneath the boot floor. Don't know if this was always the case, but the car now comes with a joke of a spare tyre. A 145 section bicycle tyre like space saver . Having a puncture will now be a cause for embarrassment also, if you have to drive around on that spare tyre.
This used to worry me, but it doesn't any longer.

Even my "full-size" spare is not the same size as the fitted wheels/tires (14/15 inch? I'm no good at numbers). I had never realised that until the tire shop that fitted it for me warned me to go carefully until I came back to get the punctured tire repaired. In most instances, we can get a punctured tire repaired or replaced within hours, and will probably only drive on the spare for emergency use. We can live with the looks for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Soon even that space saver spare wheel might get replaced by just a puncture repair kit and a compressor. Thats the standard kit in EU delivered VW group cars. Spare tyres are always an option.
My first thought is that this is even better than a spare. If we can get the puncture sealed and the tire inflated, then the relatively hard work of changing the wheel can be left entirely (no pun intended [Blush]) to the tire shop.

My second thought is that some of us are forgetful, and others may think that a get-you-home kit is actually meant as a permanent repair. Actually, we have to rely on the skill and honesty of the tire guy to tell us if a repair is even safe.
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:22   #2827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
"An ultimate benchmark for power............. an unparalleled phenomenon is coming your way".....

I'm guessing this should be towards a new engine or gearbox or engine/gearbox combination, given VW has been scripted the teaser text. This is my feeling.
I'm hoping its the newer 1.2 TSI engine. Though it could also be the re-entry of the 1.6 w/manual transmission in GT guise. if its the latter would be a tad disappointing for me, though I'm sure a lot of purists would welcome it with open arms. In all likelihood it is a Polo and VW will definitely be cashing in on the surprise hit they have on their hands with the GT twins.
Old 23rd May 2015, 18:58   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Surely, such a teaser won't be for projector lamps and led lights or variant changes on existing GT TSi or TDI..

It would make more sense for VW to plonk their GT TDi with the DSG. 1.6 petrol wont sell.

A manual GT TSi also doesn't make sense as the USP of this car is DSG only.

Ok, Assuming its the GT TDi DSG \m/ What price point do you expect it to be. Current GTs retail for 8.5 lacs ex Showroom delhi.
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:05   #2829
Team-BHP Support

It can't be the 1.4 TSI as that would put the sub-4m Polo in a different tax bracket making it ridiculously expensive and not worth it at all. At the moment, VW is shifting more GTs than they thought they would. Launching a 1.4 GT TSI (that's bound to be a good 2-3 lakhs more than the current one) would be shooting themselves in the foot. However, I suspect it could be the newer range of updated 1.2 TSI engines. It could also be the GT TDI DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
If we only go by the photo above, at least LED headlamps are on their way
FYI, the photos you've put up for reference are that of Xenons in regular projectors w/ LED DRLs and not actual LED headlamps.
Old 24th May 2015, 07:22   #2830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It can't be the 1.4 TSI as that would put the sub-4m Polo in a different tax bracket making it ridiculously expensive and not worth it at all. At the moment, VW is shifting more GTs than they thought they would. Launching a 1.4 GT TSI (that's bound to be a good 2-3 lakhs more than the current one) would be shooting themselves in the foot. However, I suspect it could be the newer range of updated 1.2 TSI engines. It could also be the GT TDI DSG.
Going beyond 1.2L will push the excise duty up from 12% to 24% which will add about ₹ 80K to₹ 1.00 to the price. But if you take out the DSG, you can set off that increase. Cost difference of the 1.4 TSI engine Vs. 1.2 TSI should be very marginal and not more than 30 to 40K for the manufacturer.

Tighten the rear suspension, add rear disc brakes @ ₹20K, add xenon headlights with DRLs and some body kit about @ ₹75K and you can casily price a 1.4 GTI with manual transmission, that looks the part at about ₹ 9.25L to ₹ 9.50L ex showroom.
Old 24th May 2015, 10:01   #2831
BHPian

If VW is getting a 1.4 TSI MT, it will retail at prices close to 12 Lakhs.VW has been long enough in India to realize that hatchbacks at that price will not be a success. So VW will not be willing to make such investments to incur losses.

A GT Tsi with the new 1.2 TSI Engine - VW did not update its 120HP 1.4 TSI in the Jetta when they launched the facelift. 140-150 HP 1.4 TSI is the engine offered worldwide.
So I dont think a new 1.2 TSI is coming up now.

The only possibility left is a GT TDI with DSG, if VW comes with an awesome pricing strategy it will be a success or a MT 1.2 TSI which is a rear possibility because it will hamper the current pricing position of the GT range.

Moreover i feel the posts on Facebook is only a social media marketing gimmick to create awareness about the GT brand.I may be wrong.

Last edited by kn09 : 24th May 2015 at 10:04.
Old 24th May 2015, 10:35   #2832
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't bet on the 1.4 TSI, although I'd like to be proved wrong. They are using the 1.4TSI in the Polo/Vento cup.

My guess is a mild refresh what the Vento got, cruise control, foldable mirrors, cooled glove box, different alloy wheel design or it could be a GT TDI DSG.

The GT TDI DSG price in a place like Bangalore will comfortable cross 11 lakhs on road. A lot of money for a Polo.
Old 24th May 2015, 10:59   #2833
BHPian

I would tend to disagree that a costlier GT would not find buyers. See the number of GT owners who have brought it and spruced it up on Team BHP itself. It's not the Honda Jazz days anymore. This is going to be positioned as a 2nd car, that offers you a near ride quality & performance of your sedan with convenience of a hatch. Also VW is paying attention (maybe slowly) to Indian customers. I hope they give options even though expensive. Just see the demand Skoda Zeal editions have created & mind you, these are just cosmetic. If VW Does not give Polo GT Customers what they want, Skoda Fabia will eventually deliver that. See the Octavia vs Jetta numbers (petrol).
Old 24th May 2015, 11:01   #2834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going beyond 1.2L will push the excise duty up from 12% to 24% which will add about ₹ 80K to₹ 1.00 to the price. But if you take out the DSG, you can set off that increase. Cost difference of the 1.4 TSI engine Vs. 1.2 TSI should be very marginal and not more than 30 to 40K for the manufacturer.

Tighten the rear suspension, add rear disc brakes @ ₹20K, add xenon headlights with DRLs and some body kit about @ ₹75K and you can casily price a 1.4 GTI with manual transmission, that looks the part at about ₹ 9.25L to ₹ 9.50L ex showroom.
Thanks for crunching the numbers Santoshbhat.

However, in this day and age, when Volkswagen appears to be cutting corners in a bid to save a few hundred bucks, I wouldn't count on them to shoehorn a 1.4 TSI, tweak the suspension, beef-up the brakes, projectors, etc. and not price it exorbitantly.

For all we know, VW is merely creating a buzz amongst their Facebook fan base. If you go back to the page, you will see a GT-advert that was posted a day after the teaser.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 11:25   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

For all we know, VW is merely creating a buzz amongst their Facebook fan base. If you go back to the page, you will see a GT-advert that was posted a day after the teaser.
Well, all that buzz amounted to nothing (for the enthusiasts anyway). Looks like it was a teaser for an advert, that will end up on TV anyway.

Sigh...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks