Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 09:59   #2431
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Get on with S!!!. I face the same issue with my android and rcd320, but others with the same car/android have reported that their contacts and song names come up just fine. Weird stuff, the only thing I can say is try deleting the phone profile and re-pair it.
Anyways, enjoy the car, look forward to your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Thanks @Samurai @benbsb29! The review shall be of GT, not of my photoshop skills!

Owners- two quick questions. Do we need to run the TSI engine in or can I get on with the S mode already? I couldn't find anything on running in in the owner's manual, so am thinking it might be unnecessary.

Secondly, when I connect my Android phone to RCD320, phone asks for permission to read contacts and call history, and yet I can't do anything with contacts on the RCD320. When someone calls, I don't even see their name, just the number on the RCD320 screen. Is this a bug?
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 12:03   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Get on with S!!!. I face the same issue with my android and rcd320, but others with the same car/android have reported that their contacts and song names come up just fine. Weird stuff, the only thing I can say is try deleting the phone profile and re-pair it.
Anyways, enjoy the car, look forward to your review.
Even I'm facing the same issue with RCD320. Does anyone have a solution for it? Deleting and re-pairing doesn't work as I have tried with about 10 phones now. Does it have anything to do with the number of contacts we have? I've about 1500.
Astonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 12:12   #2433
BHPian

I come from a family where cars are almost never sold. We still have our 1986 Red Maruti 800 still with us and its all up and running, doing all city chores with pride! Other cars include a 2000 Wagon R, a 2006 Fiesta Petrol and a 2012 Figo Diesel.

With that as the background, let me state that I have been completely smitten by the GT TSI after that fateful test drive. I have driven the Cruze, Jetta, XUV etc and yet I say that none of them can match the absolute pleasure that the little GT TSI DSG provides!

However, as a long term keeper of cars (at least 10 years) , should I be even looking at buying a VW, that too one with the infamous DQ200 DSG? Even the extended warranty covers only upto 4 years, what after that? Are these engineered to self-destruct after 4 years? On a serious note, long-term reliability is an absolute must for my car purchase decision. The trouble is, no other car company in India is offering a car that's even remotely in the league of the GT TSI in terms of driving pleasure (other than the BMWs, Audis of course). I hear good things about the Liva 1.5 Petrol, but it has such hideous looking interiors (no offence to owners) that its not even in contention.

I really want to buy the GT TSI, but I'm not sure if I should! So in a nutshell, I'm really all messed up. Please BHPians, show me the way!

Last edited by rednikhil : 8th December 2014 at 12:13.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 15:07   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Samurai @benbsb29! The review shall be of GT, not of my photoshop skills!

Owners- two quick questions. Do we need to run the TSI engine in or can I get on with the S mode already? I couldn't find anything on running in in the owner's manual, so am thinking it might be unnecessary.

Secondly, when I connect my Android phone to RCD320, phone asks for permission to read contacts and call history, and yet I can't do anything with contacts on the RCD320. When someone calls, I don't even see their name, just the number on the RCD320 screen. Is this a bug?
Hey, congrats on your new GT! welcome to the club and you can also join the GT owners group on whatsapp. rana_kirti is the admin.

Regarding your questions:

1. Running - it is certainly recommended in the manual. Page 250. beyond that is your call. There are owners who did not run-in and others who did.

2. yes, RCD320 does ask for permission and then does nothing. I am able to get the song names but not the caller names. I dont think phonebook is supported by RCD320.

RCD320 is a tricky thing as I also discovered recently. if you switch on the bluetooth in your phone after switching on the car, the audio streaming does not work. the song will play and you get to see the song name also, but no audio. phone works fine even in this case. this has been confirmed by other owners as well. So, you need to switch the bluetooth on in your phone before starting the car.

Hope it helps.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:59   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Hey, congrats on your new GT! welcome to the club and you can also join the GT owners group on whatsapp. rana_kirti is the admin.
RCD320 is a tricky thing as I also discovered recently.
Thanks Lalit, will PM Kirti to join the group.

Regarding the radio, what baffles me is that I was able to read contacts in the TD vehicle IIRC, and nothing has changed in my phone since then. But then I might be mixing my memories of Honda City and Polo TD.

I always have my phone bluetooth on, so no concerns there. Plus I mostly listen to songs off a USB drive.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:05   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Just remapped my car to "Performance" map from Petes .

Where, How,..:
Place: Head Over Wheels, Whitefield, Bangalore.
Power Upgrade : ~125 PS
Torque Upgrade : ~200 NM
Cost : Rs 24,000

According to Shibin, Petes has two maps "Performance" and "Aggressive". As the name suggests "Aggressive" delivers more performance. After the consultation with Robi, I opted for the "Performance" map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
hi rohan,

so we believe you have now lived with the remap now for almost a month now. the remap must have settled in by now and adjusted/adapted to your driving style.

we are looking forward to a detailed review of the how the remap has impacted the car's performance both in the D and the S mode. Also any affect to the fuel economy etc ?

Could you also tell us the difference between the Performance vs. Aggressive Remap ? and why you decided to go with the Performance version over the Aggressive one ?

Thanks a ton...
Some corrections to the earlier post
I had used the different nomenclature(which were different from Pete's nomenclature), so following is the correction to the earlier post
ECU remap options from Petes:
According to Shibin, Petes has two maps "Standard" and "Custom".
-The “Standard” map improves the power to ~125 PS, and Torque to ~200 NM on a stock car. If you have better air filters, then power would go up another 2%.
-The “Custom” map, as the name suggests would deliver the performance to suit individual taste(e.g. better fuel efficiency, or better 0-100 kmph numbers, or better highway drivability, or better city drivability etc.). Tuner will calibrate the parameters(e.g. Boost pressure, engine temperature, waste gate control, fuel delivery etc.) to match the performance requirements.

I have gone for the "Standard remap" which costed Rs. 24,000.

Update about the post remap experience.
There are many guys(like robi Priihwi, chase_nt) have put the detailed experience.
Following is the short summary from my side
- You pay just 2.5% of the car value to get 20% power upgrade. So if you are looking for the power upgrade, one of the best VFM.
- You will know the difference in the power during the highway drives.
- Since Team-Bhp does not entertain the over speeding, I am not commenting about the top speed. But on empty stretches it reached much higher speed than the stock car :-)
- There is a lull between 80-100
- I am enjoying tiptronic more than "S" mode.
- I guess fuel efficiency has gone down(may be 0.5 kmpl) very little. Mostly it is because my driving style, which is changed after the remap(more spirited). So do not worry about the fuel efficiency.
- But as chast_nt has rightly said "avoid over expectation" because this is tiny engine(compared to its bigger siblings like 1.8 TSi).

Next mod
- Analyzing different options for the paddle shifters. Currently in discussion with Sugesh from Vagtune.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 9th December 2014 at 09:07.
shetty_rohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 09:23   #2437
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I have the gt tsi for almost 6 months now, I have clocked 13k kms on the car, I have also remapped it from petes, i am mostly doing highway driving where it is difficult to buy speed, normal fuel is absolutely fine for this car, better the fuel grade will always help but it is not mandatory, it is a personal choice.

I live in Mumbai and mostly drive bumper to bumber, i am also heavy footed, so i get a mileage of 8-9 per litre and on highways cos i always do spirited driving get around 11.5-13 per litre.

Cheers

Thanks Man, my drive in delhi would include a mix of highway and B2B traffic. So I guess 10-11 on normal petrol is achievable.
Old 9th December 2014, 23:30   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Noticed Polo seat covers. Can you please put a pic of the seat covers and also mention the price if possible?
Here are few quick shots of seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-_mg_9400.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-_mg_9405.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-_mg_9413.jpg  

1000Horses is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 01:16   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
However, as a long term keeper of cars (at least 10 years) , should I be even looking at buying a VW, that too one with the infamous DQ200 DSG? Even the extended warranty covers only upto 4 years, what after that? Are these engineered to self-destruct after 4 years?
I certainly hope that it is a good decision to look at the Polo!

My Maruti Swift (bless its little engine, but curse its body) seemed on the way to self destruction at four years, and it was the quest for something that wouldn't be that took me to VW.

It is nearly 3 now, and apart from the really silly thing of the dashboard ventilator grills falling apart, the car is fine. Time alone will tell
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 12:03   #2440
BHPian

The seat covers look real nice. It would have been awesome if it read "GT TSI" instead of POLO.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 13:31   #2441
BHPian

I have been contemplating about buying GTI paddle shift steering for long time. Last week I had a chat with Sugesh(from Vagtune.in). He told me that I could buy the steering from Vagtune.com, and he would fit it for free.

In VagTune.com, it costs $662 including the shipping(by EMS), which seems to be best VFM compared to Petes/Vagtune.in.

I need your(from the people who have bought from Vagtune.com) expert advice on the custom duty. How much would be the custom's duty for this purchase?
Old 11th December 2014, 10:14   #2442
BHPian

Alright, next set of a new owner's questions.
  1. Did anyone find anything in the manual on turbo cool-off after a drive?
  2. Did anyone get a wallet or a pouch (leather, leatherette or even plastic!) to store the manual, car papers etc. in the glovebox (my dealer gave me a A4 paper envelope :o )
  3. Is the instrument cluster meant to show driver's seat belt sign if not worn? (Mine doesn't).
  4. RCD320 - does it 'only' play MP3s? It doesn't seem to register albums downloaded through iTunes (Apple uses non-MP3 codec)
  5. One more on RCD320 - isn't it supposed to mute or lower the volume when the reverse gear is engaged, so you can hear the parking sensor's warning? (mine doesn't)

Last edited by greenh0rn : 11th December 2014 at 10:36.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:00   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  2. Did anyone get a wallet or a pouch (leather, leatherette or even plastic!) to store the manual, car papers etc. in the glovebox (my dealer gave me a A4 paper envelope :o )
  3. Is the instrument cluster meant to show driver's seat belt sign if not worn? (Mine doesn't).
  4. RCD320 - does it 'only' play MP3s? It doesn't seem to register albums downloaded through iTunes (Apple uses non-MP3 codec)
  5. One more on RCD320 - isn't it supposed to mute or lower the volume when the reverse gear is engaged, so you can hear the parking sensor's warning? (mine doesn't)
1. No
2. I got a black non-leather holder in which the manual fits. So it's about that size.
3. There isn't one in my Vento TSI either.
4. Mine played AAC's without a problem. Either through an iPod or Blurtooth streaming from non-Apple phone.
5. I don't think mine did this. It's a feature in the Blaupunkt 835 though.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:41   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...
4. Yep, iTunes downloaded music files in m4a format are not supported. I had to convert my entire library to mp3 for RCD320 to play
5. I think this has to do with the fact that RCD320 is not CANBUS supported, which is why it cannot know when the reverse gear is engaged. I could be wrong about the reason though.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:09   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
1. No
2. No. My dealer also gave an A4 envelope
3. No
4. Never checked. Usually stream music from phone or hear the radio
5. Never noticed this, but i think it should. Will check today and let you know.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks