Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 13:44   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So about 1.5l over the 1.2 3 pot highline for the DSG box, tsi technology and esp. Its not that bad to be honest. I'd still buy it at this price.
So this is nearly 2.2+ on the road over the Brio AT.

The 1.5 ex-showroom difference over the 3-pot Polo translates to 2.00+ difference OTR when especially when discounts are factored.

Coming to the pure straight line performance, 0-100 in the Swift is just near 1.5 seconds over the Polo AT. A good filter and end can can sure shave off 0.5 seconds. Now the Swift is a manual and costs near 3.00 lakhs OTR which is big money.

The Mumbai OTR is quoted at 9.5x with extended warranty. We can expect a correction soon. Even with 50k discounts, it is still a 9.00 lakh rupee hatch. I would still prefer the City in this price range.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 13:44   #182
BHPian

Way too over priced.
This may be a good engine with a very good specs but at the end of the day its a 1.2 ltr engine and a Hatchback.

Considering this point, it make this vehicle at least 80k-100K expensive. However the enthusiasts would be very excited regarding the pricing and the overall product.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:53   #183
BHPian

Brave pricing by VW, I see they didn't give a crap about the general mindset, that a sedan is much better option than a hatchback if available in same price range. (never mind all the dual clutch auto, turbo charged, efficient yet powerful small engine tech going into it)

Kudos VW!

As expected they are re-aligning themselves as a premium brand rather than a mass seller in India.
envy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 13:54   #184
BHPian

I think its not bad pricing at all. Come to think of it, we all have a huge wish list that we want in our cars but we are not ready to shell out money. This car has ESP apart from other top tech stuff that we know. This single feature can come handy in many situations to save your life. We love Airbags, we love strong build, we love happy revving engines, we love turbos, we love all creature comforts - then be ready to pay that price. Otherwise yes one can buy all the regular cars out there. Just open the hood and see what gadgetary and mechanics go into building it. I'm in a manufacturing profession of my own and we build huge Aquariums. If I tell you that an average home aquarium we build costs 10 lacs a piece you will write me off as a retard. But people pay money and the reason they do that is they appreciate quality stuff and care to understand why its priced more than what is available around. Thats it.

Well not here to sell the TSI, even I went ahead with my Vento TDI that I had booked earlier considering my needs as a family car than personal. But I may just buy this TSI 6-8 months down the line for sure to treat myself on my birthday. Its a great personal 2nd or 3rd or 4th car in the family that yourself or your spouse could drive. Just my opinion.
Frontosa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:10   #185
Senior - BHPian

The company launch statement -

Volkswagen launches the powerful and efficient New Polo GT TSI for the Indian market

- Start of Sales from April 29, 2013 at all Volkswagen showrooms

Mumbai:
Volkswagen, Europe’s largest carmaker announced the launch of the powerful and efficient 1.2 L New Polo GT TSI today. With this launch the Polo now becomes even more attractive for the customers providing a choice of both efficient diesel and petrol engines.
The Volkswagen New Polo GT TSI is priced at Rs. 7.99 lakhs ex showroom, Delhi and will be available with 7 speed DSG gearbox.
Commenting on the launch of the New Polo GT TSI, Mr. Arvind Saxena, Managing Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India Pvt. Ltd said “In the current market scenario, fuel efficiency has become vital for every customer looking at purchasing a new car. Under these circumstances we strongly feel the need to provide our customer with a choice to opt for an efficient petrol car. The Polo GT TSI is the perfect answer with Maximum Power and Minimum Consumption.”

TSI is a pioneering technology of petrol engines by Volkswagen. TSI engines are compact, high powered and use less fuel thereby successfully implementing the downsizing concept. The Volkswagen TSI engines are designed to deliver maximum torque from engine speeds as low as 1500 rpm. That is good for both driving pleasure and fuel economy. This is achieved by combining Direct Petrol injection and intake of high compress air with the use of turbocharger thereby giving high fuel efficiency.

The Vehicle Outline:
The New Polo GT TSI is equipped with 1.2Litre, 4 cylinder TSI engine with a maximum power output of 77 Kw @ 5000rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm @1500-4100 rpm with a 7 Speed DSG Gear Box.

Exterior
The Exterior is equipped with:
 “Estrada” 185/60 R15 alloy wheels
 Halogen headlamps with black finish
 "GT" Chrome front grille

Interior
The interior is equipped with:
 Superior 'Milan' Titanschwarz fabric upholstery
 Leather wrapped steering wheel
 Leather wrapped gearshift knob and handbrake lever handle
 Chrome interior trims
 Aluminum pedal cluster
 3 grab handles above doors, folding with coat hooks
 Sunglass holder inside glove box
 Front centre console including 12V outlet
 Luggage compartment cover/parcel tray

Comfort and Convenience
On comfort the car has a number of unique, thoughtful touches. It is equipped with:
 'Climatronic' automatic air conditioning with dust and pollen filter
 Two Din RCD 320 music system with USB, Aux-in, SD Card, Bluetooth and 4 speakers
 Speed-related electronic power steering
 Remote control central locking
 Instrument cluster with tachometer, speedometer, odometer and trip odometer
 Multi-function steering wheel
 Steering wheel, tilt and telescopic adjustable
 Height adjustable driver's seat
 Rear parking sensors
 Lane change indicator - triple flash
 Central locking with boot opener in company logo

Safety and Security
Advanced occupant safety is one of the key features of the New Polo GT TSI which comes equipped with:
 Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
 ABS (Anti-lock brake system)
 Dual frontal airbags, driver and co-passenger side
 Electronic engine immobilizer with floating code
 3 point front seat belts
 Pinch guard safety for all 4 power windows
 High mounted third brake light
 Front disc brakes
 Fog light, front & rear

The New Polo GT TSI will be offered in 3 different colours:
 Candy White
 Flash Red
 Deep Black

The price is actually in the middle of the range I'd expected - so all-in-all not too bad. The standard warranty on the car is my bigger concern. People who understand what this car offers will also know about the DQ200s issues - VW has done nothing to address that. Is that an indication that VW has no faith in it?
StarScream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:23   #186
Senior - BHPian

I think the GT TSI is priced really well for what it offers.

A long extended warranty cover for the powertrain will make this Polo a no brainier.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:24   #187
BHPian

Got a call from the dealer, the On road price in Delhi is 8.98L.

For me it's a deal breaker. I guess I will be going for the Polo Highline MT :(
Old 29th April 2013, 14:24   #188
BHPian

That's a heart break. :-(

Though a turbo petrol with an excellent dual clutch gear box and ESP commands such a premium pricing. May be i'm just greedy here.

Now starts the wait for a Fabia TSI MT which should be within most peoples' budget.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I also filled the test drive request form. Shockingly, someone from the Mumbai Volkswagen office contacted me within 5 minutes of submitting the request online .

Looks like Volkswagen is really enthusiastic in selling the car this time around. .
I had filled their online website TD form twice in January, for polo/vento and got a call promptly with in 15 minutes each time and the TD was also arranged at my convenience. Lets call this normal behavior from VW now

Funny part is, I keep getting these calls asking me whether I got a TD or not, though my car is now about 2 months old !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
I think its not bad pricing at all. .
+1. The VFM concept has gone for a spin in recent times. Cutting edge high-tech stuff, from VW, one cannot expect it to be priced too low. Considering the current market sentiment, they have still done a good job. 175 Nm@1500-4100, driving enthusiast in you would pay just for that. Only real issue is the reliability of DSG. A good warranty cover should settle this.

Last edited by stringbh : 29th April 2013 at 14:29. Reason: spellings
stringbh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:29   #190

It looks costly because we are comparing it with whatever the segement has to offer currently. I just talked to VW dealer in Nagpur (Sadiq Motors) and they said the Nagpur OTR price will Rs 9.68 lakhs. They hinted that black colour may have a waiting (no timeline) since the company has promised them only red and white for now. The TD vehicle will be with them in a "couple of days".

Yes I agree that the first look at Rs 9.68 OTR looks very steep for a hatchback, considering I can get Honda City (S) AT in Nagpur for Rs 10.63 lakh. But then apart from the size, the Polo GT has way too much to offer.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:34   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
So this is nearly 2.2+ on the road over the Brio AT.

The 1.5 ex-showroom difference over the 3-pot Polo translates to 2.00+ difference OTR when especially when discounts are factored.

Coming to the pure straight line performance, 0-100 in the Swift is just near 1.5 seconds over the Polo AT. A good filter and end can can sure shave off 0.5 seconds. Now the Swift is a manual and costs near 3.00 lakhs OTR which is big money.

The Mumbai OTR is quoted at 9.5x with extended warranty. We can expect a correction soon. Even with 50k discounts, it is still a 9.00 lakh rupee hatch. I would still prefer the City in this price range.
The Brio is a size smaller, I don't know why its being compared.

It is a fair amount to pay, but then again this is a niche product. Those who want it will pay for it.

What the Swift doesn't give you is DSG (the gearbox on the Swift is ok, nothing great), ESP, much less power and torque, probably less efficiency too, bluetooth, euro build quality, dynamics.

Well of course a City is a larger car, and if that is what you need then its going to be a better buy. This Polo will probably not be the primary car for most of the buyers. For someone who drives alone or with 1 passenger and doesn't need a really big boot this is absolutely perfect.

On a separate note, I don't know what expectations people have of prices, because for every single launch besides the XUV I've seen hordes of posts complaining about the prices.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th April 2013 at 14:35.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:43   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an excellent package, a new milestone in Indian hatch history. Surprisingly this TSI+DSG+Climatronic combination is more state of the art than many of the VW/Skoda vehicles. Takes the fight to upcoming a-class/1-series. Well, almost. I mean this little Polo would definitely make some buyers wonder why they should go for A/1-series and not settle with much cheaper Polo.

Obviously not for everyone. But a great opportunity for those willing to digest the DSG+VW dish.
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:48   #193
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting an ex-showroom price of around Rs.7.5L, but I think a price of Rs.7.99L is still OK for what it offers. But I don't think it's great VFM. This is probably the launch price and I expect the prices to head north very soon.

At Rs.9 to 9.5L OTR in most places in India, this will probably remain an enthusiast's car. It is a shame since with better pricing, both DSG and TSI technologies would've been more accessible to many more of the car-buying public.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:50   #194
Senior - BHPian

I think the pricing is great. Comparing it to sedans in the same price range was evident even if the price was +/- 1L - it's just human mentality. We always need more for less!

For people who own one or more sedans and are looking for a power packaged weekend getaway hatchback, the GT fits their bill.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:54   #195
Team-BHP Support

Decent pricing IMO (or I should probably say excellent!). A slight premium over the likes of i20 AT is quite justified, considering the technology on offer.

And it’s even better when compared with the Vento Highline Petrol AT. A cool 2 lakhs cheaper (on-road), with added advantage of DSG, and safety add-ons like ESP.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks