Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:35   #1291
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Guys

Booked the Storme VX Asterne Black last week.
. I need a good ICE system for sure as i am one of those who listen to music most of the time. Also, any other upgrades required which are essential and not nice to have ones
congratulations on booking the Storme,
for the music system , I have just added an amp and a sub woofer which i had in my old safari and the over all sound quality is really good , and to me it was the cheapest option to get decent quality sound

may be u can try adding amp and a sub and then add other components if not satisfied , sub-woofer makes a lot of difference with the existing ICE
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:50   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

16 inch and 6.5 J is the wheel size of OEM there are 2 more values to match

PCD and Offset , You can go for even 7J with OEM tyre size if PCD and Offset match.

The real difficulty is matching the offset value because most imported rims are not manufactured as per specs of Indian vehicles.
However after going through these experience I would say going for Taiwanese alloys just for sake of looks is not worth it. You need to become expert in alignment yourself and can not live simple life of ignoramus customer if you are deviating from OEM spec.
Amit
thanks - your pts are well noted. However I am not particular about the looks of aftermarket alloys. I would happily go for OE alloys if only they were priced a bit lower. 8k per piece is a bit too steep !

Do you have the OE PCD and offset specs ? That would help while hunting for an after market set and I will anyway be doing the balancing and alignment at TASS only
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:20   #1293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Storme guys what mileage are you guys getting? Safari guy, is it true that a Safari initially is a bit thirsty and then settles down only post 5-10,000 kms?

I used to initially get around 10-10.5 kmpl during run in, but post 1500 kms since I started driving "normally" I am getting only around 160-165 kms for every 17.5 liters of fuel (1000 bucks) - measured from orange blinking light to orange blinking light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Though I haven't checked, but I get around 190km odd in 1000 bucks. But the light to light way of measurement is not accurate as the light may turn on because of the vehicle standing on an incline or on a banked road/kerb.
The best way to measure is autocut to autocut fill. Would advise to check that way.
Also average may depend on your primary driving location, like in city or on highway, jams, etc.
I can share my KPL figures of the ARIA Pure, weighing in at 2.1 Tonnes (similar engine and suspension setup of the Storme). I measure tank ful to tank full (brim just below the breather pipe) from the very same fuel station (IOC, Ashoka Tourist Stn, Niti Marg, New Delhi) and get consistently 11.8-12.1 with front A/C ON full time in Delhi traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
On the highway I have clocked around 14 on auto-cut to auto-cut method. Hope this helps!
Trip to Udaipur in Sep 12 with front A/C ON full time gave 13.7 kpl in whole trip average basis. Avg 13.2 kpl in a one day trip to Haridwar and back on 24 May - really HOT day with 6 adults and BOTH A/Cs ON full time.
Old 23rd July 2013, 05:48   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys I have a query on the rear suspension. I have noticed in the Safari,the rear bottoms out big time with 3+2 seating (2nd and 3rd row). So much that the front will be pointed upwards like an airbus about to take off. Does the Storme also show the same tendency or it looks more neutral under load?
I did not notice any bottoming out under full load in my safari. As rightly pointed out, the condition of dampers may be an issue.
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:49   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Amit
thanks - your pts are well noted. However I am not particular about the looks of aftermarket alloys. I would happily go for OE alloys if only they were priced a bit lower. 8k per piece is a bit too steep !

Do you have the OE PCD and offset specs ? That would help while hunting for an after market set and I will anyway be doing the balancing and alignment at TASS only
I do not have Storme but you can measure Offset very easily using an scale as I explained.

Balancing and alignment can be done at TASS only if you have OEM rims ( at-least in Bangalore T.A.S.S) because the laser pads have clamp which fit only to OEM rims.

BY looks I meant alloy itself in place of steel rim
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:58   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do not have Storme but you can measure Offset very easily using an scale as I explained.
I dont think that will be accurate .. the measurements are in mm, if I am correct.

IMHO, all tyre/wheel dealers/retailers will know what is the off-set of a Safari wheel. If the correct offset is not available, a slightly more negative offset is still fine.

Quote:
Balancing and alignment can be done at TASS only if you have OEM rims ( at-least in Bangalore T.A.S.S) because the laser pads have clamp which fit only to OEM rims.
The clamps can be adjusted, and hence is not a problem.
If we were to go with the constraint you have mentioned, then there would have been separate set of clamps for each vehicle - one for Safari / Grande, one for Aria, one set for Sumo, another set for Indica/ Indigo, and another set for Nano.

btw, which T.AS.S are you referring to ?
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:55   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If we were to go with the constraint you have mentioned, then there would have been separate set of clamps for each vehicle - one for Safari / Grande, one for Aria, one set for Sumo, another set for Indica/ Indigo, and another set for Nano.

btw, which T.AS.S are you referring to ?
Concord and Prerana were the T.A.S.S
the clamp of the laser pad do not fit on HR / Plati alloys with broad spoke.

You can measure offset up to mm using a metal scale and that will be accurate enough for practical usage.

Anyway I shared just the pain I experienced and now I feel 25K I spent of after-market alloys were not worth the pain. It is up to individual users to decide.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:19   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Concord and Prerana were the T.A.S.S
the clamp of the laser pad do not fit on HR / Plati alloys with broad spoke.
The clamps are fitted to the rim of the wheel, hence the spokes do not come in to the picture when fitting the clamps.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:32   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clamps are fitted to the rim of the wheel, hence the spokes do not come in to the picture when fitting the clamps.
Yes Sir I know the clamps fit at the edge of the OEM Rim
edge of the RIM in my alloys is bit plane leaving not enough space to fit clamp.
The spoke fans out towards the rim that is narrow at hub and broad outside.
outside alignment guys mount them on the spokes of my alloys.

I think we are lot OT so lets stop here I can provide picture of my alloys if someone needs.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd July 2013 at 09:34.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:52   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
I got the Michelin tyres from Tyre Empire Whitefield, they could not do the alignment as they do not have readings for the Storme. I have scheduled an appointment tomorrow and one of the TML engineers also is there (Raghavendra). Which month was your vehicle manufactured?
No clutch related issues, though the springs make a slight "tak tak" noise when the clutch is depressed.
Mine are stock tyres and stock alloys. I am quite happy with them. My vehicle is a May 2013 manufactured one as per the VIN number. I too have the same issue on the clutch with a very slight tak noise when depressed. I am guessing it is a hard spring and nothing else.

I will go for a wheel balancing later this week. Probably at Madhu's in Langford town
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:12   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Have any of the Storme guys fitted Hellas yet? Wondering how to fit the 700FF's I am planning to install, as the front bumpper of the Storme does not have a nice flat forward overhang like the Dicor does, and in fact is narrow and sloping. Don't want external unibars/bull bars type firments as I want a clean look and hopefully modular so that I can remove them when not in use (day to day driving) and only fit them when going on a highway trip. Suggestions please!
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:34   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have any of the Storme guys fitted Hellas yet?
We thought the stock headlamps are sufficient. When ever there is no on-coming traffic, I have used HB + LB, and the lighting was more than sufficient.

I was not able to find any spot to fix aux lamps. Havent probed further since I was able to manage with the double lamps.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:24   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We thought the stock headlamps are sufficient. When ever there is no on-coming traffic, I have used HB + LB, and the lighting was more than sufficient.

I was not able to find any spot to fix aux lamps. Havent probed further since I was able to manage with the double lamps.
This was mentioned by you earlier as well (HB + LB). Can you please point out which is which in the actual headlight assembly and how do you do this HB + LB thing? I am assuming that when you push the right steering stalk forward the HB comes on - is that the HB + LB you are talking about? Because the rotary dial switch simply has a Parking Light position and a Headlight position (LB) and when you pull it out once the front fogs light up, and one more pull and the rear fogs light up. I really would like to have the extra light from the Hellas if:

1) I can install them firmly without vibrations or ugly holes in the bumper or cracking/flexing of the bumper.

2) I can install them in a modular manner (with couplers) so that I can plug and play only when I need them - other times they can neatly come off and be left at home.

3) When used for prolonged running, they do not overheat, block airflow through the grille, or drain the battery due to the alternator charging circuit not being able to take the extra load.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:40   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

@ebonho, the steps you have mentioned are correct.
1. Turn rotary knob 2 times to turn on LB
2. Pull stalk towards your self to turn on HB. Now both LB & HB will be on.
3. Pull rotary knob for fog lamps, as desired

Try this before you explore about Hella's

The Hella's will not heat up, but the big concern is the vibration. I have tried the modular install on my Ikon & Sumo. But still had vibrations.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:52   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ebonho, the steps you have mentioned are correct.
1. Turn rotary knob 2 times to turn on LB
2. Pull stalk towards your self to turn on HB. Now both LB & HB will be on.
3. Pull rotary knob for fog lamps, as desired

Try this before you explore about Hella's

The Hella's will not heat up, but the big concern is the vibration. I have tried the modular install on my Ikon & Sumo. But still had vibrations.
I initially thought that the bulb in the "normal" part of the headlight assembly towards the center is the low beam and the projector is only for high beam, but the projector is lighted even on low beam. So which bulb/where is the high beam?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks