Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 16:49   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Oh, so you did finally take the plunge! Didn't see your ownership thread, is it in the making? Some cool pics?
Yet to cross the 2 month mark. I havent driven that much to share my experiences. As for initial impressions, I dont think I have much to add to what is already there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The only thing I like from the 56,000 rupee kit (#1) is the nudge guard. It kind of neutralizes the Storme's "smiley" as well.
Now that the official version is here, we can soon expect the after-market ones. Hopefully, some of the design will be as good / better.

If you want to reduce the smiley-ness, you could try to remove the chrome strip and get a metal piece fabricated there. That strip seems screwed in, and removable. But I am not sure how a Storme without the chrome-stripe would look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The system should be priced close to 35K and no buy back for our alpine ...
the nudge guard is coming in at around 10K.
Too bad about the pricing of the 2-DIN & the buy-back.

Quote:
Btw, has anyone got the rear bull guard installed? I want to get it done by feel that it will hide the exhausts and also spoil the looks.
If you want to do that, will have to be below the line of the rear bumper, such that you dont hide the exhausts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Nudge Guard will only further reduce the front clearance (GC) and hit more stuff that one would normally not hit from the front of the vehicle. Also will reduce the approach angle a fair bit. It also does not come with the Fog lights of the metal variant.
Not really. If you look at the pics on other sites, the nudge guard is not placed too low / lower than the front bumper. The approach angle may reduce by a degree or two , but not more than that.

Anyway, nudge-guards were never meant for strong protection.

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...er-Edition.jpg

Last edited by condor : 20th June 2013 at 17:14.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:54   #1067
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Aria too had a similar issue where in if one placed a pendrive in the USB socket a cover that covered it and the 12V electric socket area would not close and hence the pop out cup holder tray and the mobile mat below the cover were rendered useless. This has been modified in the Aria shown in shows abroad with the usb drive socket kept outside this flip open cover.
ACM, it is same even now in ARIA. They have not modified.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:21   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I like from the 56,000 rupee kit (#1) is the nudge guard. It kind of neutralizes the Storme's "smiley" as well.

Wonder if they would sell it separately and for how much.

Attachment 1099842
Quote:
@ebonho I went to Concorde in Bangalore to enquire about accessories and the guy told me that they were expecting them next week. The system should be priced close to 35K and no buy back for our alpine is there as an option. Also he said apart from this only the nudge guard is coming in at around 10K. I might also go for the judge guard but don't think it will offer much protection.
Btw, has anyone got the rear bull guard installed? I want to get it done by feel that it will hide the exhausts and also spoil the looks.
Quote:
The Nudge Guard will only further reduce the front clearance (GC) and hit more stuff that one would normally not hit from the front of the vehicle. Also will reduce the approach angle a fair bit. It also does not come with the Fog lights of the metal variant.

In a lot of ways is a bit like the Fortuner front nudge guard a good bit of style but really no go. I like the sticker job and it should even be replicable outside if not available officially - which it should be if one pesters the TATA Service guys enough.

The two did is definitely a big improvement over the single DIN but I guess it should come with the reverse camera for it to be worthwhile.

They should have got in a model with MYI satnav and it would have been easier to overlook the fact that it is not really an integrated unit with no steering controls.
Even I love this nudge guard and might take the plunge for it, but what ACM is talking in true as these reduce the front clearance angles which are necessary. The front nudge guard on an XUV500 test drive vehicle had completely put us off by hitting again and again during a test drive which we had taken before storme.
I also like the touch screen player, but if there's no buyback, I might stay away. Also will they help us with rear camera input on this screen? Refrigerator and art leather seats, I have already done, also fitted with active sub.

Rest of the things are a waste in my opinion.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:25   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Pix from the launch. So the 2 din is actually a flip out screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-_dsc0514.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-_dsc0511.jpg  

Old 20th June 2013, 17:31   #1070
BHPian

Doesn't seem to be a flip out version! Also, being in the 3rd and 5th gear may impair proper visibility of the screen IMO.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:36   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

I kind of agree with both ACM and Condor.

I don't think the ground clearance will reduce to any extent, cause the nudge guard bottom line seems reasonably high up and seems to follow the upward slope of the bottom part of the front of the Storme bumper (it slopes up a lot more than the old Dicor one I feel).

However, thinking about going down a steep incline and then hitting the bottom flat ground, I do think this guard will hit the ground.

But don't you guys think TATA would have checked a basic thing like this before offering an official accessory?

On the issue of a nudge guard for the rear, I see the need every time I see swarms of bikers and scooterists tailgating me in start-stop evening traffic, but I am really put off by the fact that most rear nudge guards I have seen on other cars and SUVs for some reason or the other are crooked and/or poorly aligned and that really messes the rear view of your vehicle as the eyes are directly drawn to that assymmetry first.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th June 2013 at 17:43.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:56   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, thinking about going down a steep incline and then hitting the bottom flat ground, I do think this guard will hit the ground.
IMO, in such a situation, it is actually less worse to let the nudge guard take first hit, than the bumper itself.

Quote:
On the issue of a nudge guard for the rear, ... crooked and/or poorly aligned and that really messes the rear view of your vehicle as the eyes are directly drawn to that assymmetry first.
Tough part here is that, the bumper needs to be inconspicuous, yet be at a height that it can take first impact from a bike's wheels - AND, not foul the rear tow hook area. How do you balance the requirements of a Storme ?
Old 20th June 2013, 18:02   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, in such a situation, it is actually less worse to let the nudge guard take first hit, than the bumper itself.
I don't think the bumper will hit. All of us have seen the photos of the Storme off terrain demonstrations on the ramps etc. where the Storme is comfortably clearing the flat ground at the bottom while coming down steep inclines. The bottom of the bumper and the sump plate is quite a bit more sloping than the older Dicor, which helps I guess.

The nudge guard will only not hit if it is a seamless extension of that slope upwards. If its bottom part is straight or at a more horizontal plane relative to the ground, it will hit. Though admittedly it will be the outer fiber cladding and not the inner steel structure.

Quote:
Tough part here is that, the bumper needs to be inconspicuous, yet be at a height that it can take first impact from a bike's wheels - AND, not foul the rear tow hook area. How do you balance the requirements of a Storme ?
It could help people alight from the third row as well by providing a visible step. Right now its "mind your shoes on the paint and jump!"
Old 20th June 2013, 18:09   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Pix from the launch. So the 2 din is actually a flip out screen?
JK, if you were the one who took those pics, then BAD ! You should have known that we'd be looking at how close the gear lever will be to the screen, when in 3 / 5th

Quote:
Doesn't seem to be a flip out version! Also, being in the 3rd and 5th gear may impair proper visibility of the screen IMO.
50-50, till I see it in person. The driver will be viewing the screen from a top angle.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:33   #1075
Senior - BHPian

I think the inclusion of this "new" entertainment system, whatever it is 2DIN/1DIN and flip-out of fixed, is a very half-hearted effort by Tata.

They had taken the right step and moved the aircon controls below the head-unit when the Storme came out, and now they have taken a step backwards. Even if the screen doesn't physically foul with the screen, it will definitely do so visually. I think, if the gear lever is in 1st, 3rd or 5th, it is sure to block the view of the front passengers, and the screen is of no use at all for the rear passengers. Also, looking at the screen will require the driver to completely take his eyes of the road. And in a touchscreen unit where you will have to look to control the unit this is a potentially dangerous fact, especially seeing the lack of steering audio controls.

If I had to buy the Storme, and this head-unit was optional, I would much rather take the unit that has been available till now.

And what I dont understand is why such an awkward way of incorporating a screen had to be taken. There is quite a bit of real estate on the central console which is not utilised, like the chasm between the head-unit and the aircon controls. There is also space between the air-vents and the aircon controls. All this space needs to be utilised better. In fact it is this space that just accentuates the bare-bones feeling inside the Storme.

But, I think the best place to incorporate a video screen in the Storme is in place of that cubby hole above the airvents. It will allow the screen to take centre stage in the cabin, allowing free view to all passengers. That plus, a proper 2-DIN unit like the one on the Aria is the sort of set-up that will do justice to the Storme.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:48   #1076
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
The system should be priced close to 35K and no buy back for our alpine is there as an option. Also he said apart from this only the nudge guard is coming in at around 10K. .

If this is really true, does it really make sense to go in for this system?
With or without the Reverse camera and Navigation?

From what i had heard from the Concerned person, who happens for be in the Accessories wing of Tata Motors, he had said that it would cost around 20 K, and a buy back would be offered for the Alpine system.

Quote:
I like the sticker job and it should even be replicable outside if not available officially - which it should be if one pesters the TATA Service guys enough.

Exactly what I had thought when I first saw the Decals ! would love to have them

On the Ergonomics bit, it does not really hinder the gear shifts, but on a closer look you will really find it to be half hearted effort by TML. Frankly I would have also expected a system that fit in the dash properly.

Oh ! Just remembered, the slot for USB is inside the glove compartment. So one can use the largest available Pen Drive
Old 21st June 2013, 16:02   #1077
BHPian

the 2 din costs around Rs 21900, I have seen only the pictures of it at KHT motors , Bangalore when I went there to book my Storme, its a flip out TFT screen Blaupunkt make , they dont have much details about the specs and no clue of the buy back, and when it is in use , the cup holder is not useable! and since its hanging down and no support at the back due to the cup holder space, when you try to reach the cup holder area there are chances that it may break!
avanishphatak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 20:43   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any one upgraded their audio ? What set-up did you go for ?
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:05   #1079
BHPian

Ahh ! just got lucky by Booking Storme this month , in the ongoing Win4sure contest , I was one of the lucky customers to win Ipad mini , contacted KHT motors Bangalore and they will tell me how to collect the prize.
One person from Faridabad has won a Storme!
I may be Off topic here, but thought I should share it, the contest is extended till june end.
avanishphatak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:39   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Ahh ! just got lucky by Booking Storme this month , in the ongoing Win4sure contest , I was one of the lucky customers to win Ipad mini , contacted KHT motors Bangalore and they will tell me how to collect the prize.
One person from Faridabad has won a Storme!
I may be Off topic here, but thought I should share it, the contest is extended till june end.
Avanish - congrats on booking the Storme. Can you share details of discounts/any freebies offered ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks