Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 14:42   #1036
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

^^ Such a 2 Din unit should come with the Reverse Camera option as well. In any case should have a video Input if the screen displays videos.

Active Subwoofer - interesting - placed in the rear door - What Size?

The point is that if they are just going to require this at the dealer end just the way an accessories person does (while making the warranty void) it does seem to be a double standard for the dealer to be allowed to carry out the same kind of changes while the vehicle remains in warranty.

Yep we all know that in reality the outside accessories shop guys are probably a lot more competent than the dealer and also will do a better job so it's a bit like it being ok for them to break their own rules but not anyone else.

The official way for them to do it should involve no wire cutting and use of a special socket to adapt to the new head unit and start stop button.
Old 17th June 2013, 15:00   #1037
BHPian

I would be really keen to look at the audio upgrade as I find it very tough to use the system while driving. Also something that will interest me will start stop button. Any idea how much it will cost.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:36   #1038
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^ Such a 2 Din unit should come with the Reverse Camera option as well. In any case should have a video Input if the screen displays videos.

The point is that if they are just going to require this at the dealer end just the way an accessories person does (while making the warranty void) it does seem to be a double standard for the dealer to be allowed to carry out the same kind of changes while the vehicle remains in warranty.

Yep we all know that in reality the outside accessories shop guys are probably a lot more competent than the dealer and also will do a better job so it's a bit like it being ok for them to break their own rules but not anyone else.

The official way for them to do it should involve no wire cutting and use of a special socket to adapt to the new head unit and start stop button.

Not sure about the size of the Sub.
Am hoping that it would help with the reverse cam options.

I absolutely agree with you on the bit about double standards. If they can cut/splice the wires, we should also be given the independence to approach other accessory shops. I had asked them about the possibility of buying the components from outside and then getting them fitted by these people. They told me that they have an approved list of accessories that we can get from the outside and get them fitted at their workshop. This in someway didnt sound right? Any ideas ?

On a side note, I was checking the website for safari storme, and it mentioned about the Window Curtains being available for safari. Wonder if anyone has got these on a Safari Yet ?

Last edited by NMS : 17th June 2013 at 16:37. Reason: Typo
Old 17th June 2013, 19:25   #1039
BANNED

Quote:

The 2-DIN is actually double the 1-DIN size in terms of height. TATA does not manufacture any of these systems and therefore, the wiring sockets are compatible with most / standard players. In after market ones, you get bare wires ones as well, to which the appropriate socket (based on the car model) is fitted. My Sony Xplod in the Nano was fitted this way. I'm sure that the wiring harness would be similar to the ARIA, which has a custom looking 2-DIN ICE.

My brother opted for a Renault dealer provided Mega Audio ICE in lieu of the std 2-DIN one provided by Renault on the Scala RxZ (top end). These players also come with std input connectors for audio, video as also reverse camera, which was fitted on the Scala. With this exposure, fitting a 2-DIN ICE with a reverse camera should not be a great affair. Routing of cables properly should be taken care of, not just shoved under the carpet. I remember fitting a RD reverse sensor in my ARIA Pure at Reliance Autozone, the chap spent the most time in removing the panels and routing the cables, than in fitting it, which was a breeze. You only have to press fit a metal clamp based wire tapper to power it from the reverse lamps for activation.

The problem is with the dealer staff - they are a bunch of little knowledge is a dangerous thing types - a cool headed search of the wiring diagram coupled with a physical match with the harness should tell you the available options. The same route has helped me fit front fogs (OEM spares) on my Pure, the bulb sockets were there, part of the harness ! The fogs now operate through the ARIA's super combination light switch on the dash, just like in the higher versions.

Moral : A manufacturer would try and keep the harness types the same to save on development and replacement costs + logistics. All you save on is the cost of the accessory (ICE / fog lamp / camera, etc) to create different "models". This is TATA's philosophy, can't say about others like Maruti, Honda, Toyota, etc.

I have used the Start / Stop button mechanism on the Scala - it has a great drawback - you forget to handover the "keys" and someone drives off with the engine running, (like my brother gave it to me). YOu kill the engine once, then you cannot start, lock.. do anything ! Don't see any practical use of the system anyways !
Old 17th June 2013, 20:40   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
same route has helped me fit front fogs (OEM spares) on my Pure, the bulb sockets were there, part of the harness ! The fogs now operate through the ARIA's super combination light switch on the dash, just like in the higher versions.

Moral : A manufacturer would try and keep the harness types the same to save on development and replacement costs + logistics. All you save on is the cost of the accessory (ICE / fog lamp / camera, etc) to create different "models".
That's nice information right there. I have been wondering as to how can I install fog lamps on my lx with the rotary pull switch. This was done in our fiesta without any fuss, but tata is not doing it saying that they will have to change wiring and what not. The other way they told is to have additional switch for fogs, but are not doing it and say if I get it done outside, warranty gets void.
Can you please elaborate and help me installing oem fogs on my lx. Is it DIY?
Old 17th June 2013, 23:03   #1041
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, but the VX that I tested had start-stop button. The only stupid thing was that it was located where the normal ignition switch is, which makes it difficult to operate. Ideally it should have been on the dashboard somewhere, in plain view. Cutting cost by not applying their brain, I say!
Old 18th June 2013, 07:00   #1042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the VX that I tested had start-stop button. The only stupid thing was that it was located where the normal ignition switch is, .. Cutting cost by not applying their brain, I say!
When & where did you TD this VX ? And where was the ignition key ?
Old 18th June 2013, 08:07   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the VX that I tested had start-stop button. The only stupid thing was that it was located where the normal ignition switch is, which makes it difficult to operate. Ideally it should have been on the dashboard somewhere, in plain view. Cutting cost by not applying their brain, I say!
I'd rather its the right place to have the Push Start/Stop button, just that it felt convenient. Maybe it was an accessory the dealership added. Did you notice any black strip (~5cms) near the driver side a/c vent? That was probably a GPS tracker so the showroom can keep track where the vehicle is being taken to and how its being driven.

(The same kind was on a Manza that I test drove recently at KHT Motors in Bangalore, they quoted 20k for it).
Old 18th June 2013, 08:37   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
When & where did you TD this VX ? And where was the ignition key ?
This was in March 2013 on a VX here in Gurgaon with ABS Motors. I cannot be sure if its a dealer fitment or not. The ignition key was in my pocket. It was difficult to operate, as you had to twist your arm around and under the steering to get to it. A normal key in the keyhole is easier to turn with your fingers, in that position. If the switch was on the dash somewhere, firstly it would have been visible and secondly easy to operate.
Old 18th June 2013, 09:30   #1045
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I'm sure that the wiring harness would be similar to the ARIA, which has a custom looking 2-DIN ICE.

I remember fitting a RD reverse sensor in my ARIA Pure at Reliance Autozone, the chap spent the most time in removing the panels and routing the cables, than in fitting it, which was a breeze. You only have to press fit a metal clamp based wire tapper to power it from the reverse lamps for activation.

The same route has helped me fit front fogs (OEM spares) on my Pure, the bulb sockets were there, part of the harness ! The fogs now operate through the ARIA's super combination light switch on the dash, just like in the higher versions.

Moral : A manufacturer would try and keep the harness types the same to save on development and replacement costs + logistics. All you save on is the cost of the accessory (ICE / fog lamp / camera, etc) to create different "models". This is TATA's philosophy, can't say about others like Maruti, Honda, Toyota, etc.

I have used the Start / Stop button mechanism on the Scala - it has a great drawback - you forget to handover the "keys" and someone drives off with the engine running, (like my brother gave it to me). YOu kill the engine once, then you cannot start, lock.. do anything ! Don't see any practical use of the system anyways !
Yes TATA does tend to keep the fog light sockets even in the blanks - had that in the Safari that I owned prior. But yet on the switch side they did not have that part of the wiring as standard. It was only wired by default from the fuse box to the Fog Lights. They also had installed speakers with wiring while not providing a head unit in the LX model that I picked up in 2001.

The Aria does not have the subwoofer wiring though there is space for it. And the Head unit is from Delphi which is very non standard. Also the double DIN as we presume is actually a triple DIN and includes the 4X4 on off switch panel on the 4X4 models and in the lower prestige model includes the Parking Sensor switch off switch. So it just cannot be replaced with another unit - or rather is messy and too complex and no sockets were available when I last checked.

In ford they have you replace the switch and the socket and buy fog lamps for about 4K. They say they add the wiring but maybe it is already there or not. But a good deal in any case. The i10 Fog lights too can be added with the original switch for about 4.5K.

The Storme unit socket is not likely to match another unit but they be providing a converter socket is they are positioning it as an official accessory.

Implementing a start stop button in the place of the ignition switch itself would be much simpler than having a separate switch on the Dash.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:47   #1046
NMS
BHPian

From What I remember, the VX that I had seen a couple of days back had the Start Stop Switch to the left of the steering.
Old 18th June 2013, 19:58   #1047
BANNED

Quote:

Implementing a start stop button in the place of the ignition switch itself would be much simpler than having a separate switch on the Dash.
+1 to that. That's where your right hand goes by default, 100% of the time ! A separate switch, like on the Micra / Pulse/ Scala dosen't look that great either, and feels odd, on the left side of the wheel. Reminds me of the left side ignition key slot on the 118 NE.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:09   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has more information on Explorer Edition?
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20662188.cms

It says: Tata Safari Storme - Explorer Edition: The range of accessories in the Explorer Edition include a touchscreen Double DIN Infotainment system, nudge guard, door visors, explorer decals and adventure gears like camping kits, backpack etc. These accessories will initially be available in select Tata Motors outlets.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:17   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Location-wise, how about this option for the Start-Stop button ?

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-details-eleanor-9.jpg
Old 19th June 2013, 15:38   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Does anyone has more information on Explorer Edition?
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20662188.cms

It says: Tata Safari Storme - Explorer Edition: The range of accessories in the Explorer Edition include a touchscreen Double DIN Infotainment system, nudge guard, door visors, explorer decals and adventure gears like camping kits, backpack etc. These accessories will initially be available in select Tata Motors outlets.
Sounds Interesting, will check with the local dealer here in Gurgaon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks