Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 14:49   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Speaking of hill hold, the approach to my gate is at a significantly lower level than the road, so when I come back from office, I turn in and then park on this steepish incline and apply the hand brake and get out to open the gate. But I have noticed that unless I pull the hand brake real hard, the car slowly keeps sliding ahead downwards (I leave it in neutral). Is this normal because of the weight of the car or does something have to be adjusted?
Old 26th March 2013, 15:01   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Speaking of hill hold, the approach to my gate is at a significantly lower level than the road, so when I come back from office, I turn in and then park on this steepish incline and apply the hand brake and get out to open the gate. But I have noticed that unless I pull the hand brake real hard, the car slowly keeps sliding ahead downwards (I leave it in neutral). Is this normal because of the weight of the car or does something have to be adjusted?
You can get it fixed - they can tighten it a bit - but its not going to fix it completely. It will start doing this again. I had this issue with the Aria - it was a nightmare to drive up and down Ladakh with a handbrake which is not completely sure, even after getting it tightened.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:22   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
You can get it fixed - they can tighten it a bit - but its not going to fix it completely. It will start doing this again. I had this issue with the Aria - it was a nightmare to drive up and down Ladakh with a handbrake which is not completely sure, even after getting it tightened.
Thanks bro. Yeah, it is pretty daunting considering that is last recourse.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:27   #784
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The TASS can fix the hand brakes reasonably well, the thing is that if we end up driving the vehicle even a small bit with the hand brake on this setting gets disturbed. I got it set on the Aria and it remained set for a long while till I ended up driving a small with with the handbrake on by mistake.

That said I had a driver with me for a short while and in that period while I would pull the brake up correctly (being used to the earlier Safari) the driver (being used to an innova) would always end up pulling it a bit lesser than required and the vehicle would slip back on a slope.

LARGER RIMS
Hey has anyone fixed ARIA 17" rims or any other 17" rims on the Storme? Any issues in doing it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:34   #785
BHPian

This problem of hand brakes will be there in all cable operated systems. You will have to get it adjusted as and when wear and tear increases I guess. Till then it will require a little tugging and pushing. But the point I was making was if you really looked, there are places to test the abilities of even a 4x4 right under our noses. What say?
Old 26th March 2013, 16:07   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Even I have noticed this "creeping" of the car when the handbrake is engaged, both in the Aria as well as the Storme, whereas the same is absent in my Safari, is this due to the rear disc brakes in the afore mentioned vehicles or is it something else?
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 16:44   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
KD, I presume 30k discount is on the 2012 price and not the post budget price ( which anyway should be the case because excise is charged on manufactured date and not sales date ). pls check that. if thats the case, try to bargain a bit more and close the deal.
Excise Duty is charged when the vehicle is removed from the factory.
In other words, it is the date of invoice to the dealer.
It is neither the date of manufacture nor the date of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
LARGER RIMS
Hey has anyone fixed ARIA 17" rims or any other 17" rims on the Storme? Any issues in doing it.
I don't think you can fit 17" rims in the Storme because the wheel well clearance is limited.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:52   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Even I have noticed this "creeping" of the car when the handbrake is engaged, both in the Aria as well as the Storme, whereas the same is absent in my Safari, is this due to the rear disc brakes in the afore mentioned vehicles or is it something else?
Even "creeping" is present in my Safari as well. It may be uneven alignment of hand brakes. I really have to pull hard to max stop to ensure car should not move forward or backward in an incline.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 16:56   #789
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

I don't think you can fit 17" rims in the Storme because the wheel well clearance is limited.
I meant with 235/65/R17 rather than with 235/70/R16 as is default The lower Aspect ratio should ensure there is not change in external Dia.
Old 27th March 2013, 10:54   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Audio System Notes:

- There is a dimmer mode in this HU, which is supposed to dim the display when headlights are on. Tata has not connected the headlamp connector, however, so the HU doesnt know when the headlights are on. Tata!! ***!
Hi! My Strome's HU's dimming feature is working perfectly fine! I am sure there is a setting in HU to disable and enable it.
Navsangeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 11:20   #791
BHPian

Quote:
I got it set on the Aria and it remained set for a long while till I ended up driving a small with with the handbrake on by mistake.
Most MIDs have a warning light but it is not that prominent to catch our attention especailly when we are preoccupied. It should maybe be a blinking indicator rather than a still one so that it might catch more attention.

Last edited by bblost : 27th March 2013 at 11:59. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 27th March 2013, 12:37   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja484 View Post
Most MIDs have a warning light but it is not that prominent to catch our attention especailly when we are preoccupied. It should maybe be a blinking indicator rather than a still one so that it might catch more attention.
The indicator accopanied by a beep will definitely catch the driver's attention. Just the indicator on the dashboard can easily be missed when the driver is pre-occupied.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:26   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant with 235/65/R17 rather than with 235/70/R16 as is default The lower Aspect ratio should ensure there is not change in external Dia.
In that case there should not be any problem technically except that the tyre replacement would be costly.

IIRC this issue was covered somewhere in the official review.
Old 29th March 2013, 00:16   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Chennai dealers have 4WD TD vehicles as per our BHPian narayan, so there are dealers who feel it is worthwhile to invest in one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Besides I don't even think any dealer will keep a 4WD Storme. No dealer will offer TD for testing the 4WD and for on road behaviour the 2WD and 4WD don't even matter.
Tejaswi motors, Hitech city Hyderabad has 4x4 vx and i test drove it yesterday.It did not have any stickers. I am not keen on 4x4 , hence did not take the storme off the road. Devdath, if you happen to visit hyderabad, this place is ideal for TD because it is hilly and has good tarmac roads and being the periphery of the city and with construction going all around, plenty of trails.

I walked in straight to the dealer and got the TD in less than 5 minutes.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 22:23   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Interim style ?

Something makes me think if the current avatar of the Storme will become like the 3.0 Dicor - an intermediate model ?

The 3.0 Dicor was a stop-gap between the 2.0 TCIC & the 2.2 L in terms of functionality. The current Storme will likely end up as a link between the 2.2 Dicor & an all new looking Storme.

When, or how long is the question.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks