Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2019, 14:51   #4516
Aum
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Dear All, i have been getting warning light sign(pics attached) from last 1 year. every time I complain TASS resets the code but on and off this light keeps coming back. In my recent long trip i realized this light is more recurring when engine working hard due to long run and terrain and never on cold engine. Any idea what could be the problem because TASS does not seem to know it.

Please note attached picture is for representation, i have taken it from internet as I could not click while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-arning-light.jpg  

Old 28th May 2019, 15:14   #4517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum View Post
In my recent long trip i realized this light is more recurring when engine working hard due to long run and terrain and never on cold engine.
Does it come on when you are above 2000 RPM (in turbo band)? or in ghats when you continuously floor the pedal?
do you lose power after this light comes up?
does this light go away once switch of and switch on the engine?

Please check MAF sensor and its connection along with condition of air filter.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:18   #4518
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All, i have been getting warning light sign(pics attached) from last 1 year. every time I complain TASS resets the code but on and off this light keeps coming back. In my recent long trip i realized this light is more recurring when engine working hard due to long run and terrain and never on cold engine. Any idea what could be the problem because TASS does not seem to know it.

Please note attached picture is for representation, i have taken it from internet as I could not click while driving.
I too to got this warning couple of times in my Storme.It used to be there for sometime and go off. As you said, it was after a long drive both the times.Still checked with TASS and everything looked fine.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:58   #4519
Aum
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Does it come on when you are above 2000 RPM (in turbo band)? or in ghats when you continuously floor the pedal?
do you lose power after this light comes up?
does this light go away once switch of and switch on the engine?

Please check MAF sensor and its connection along with condition of air filter.
Yes it comes mostly in Ghat section not dependent on RPM. I have not experienced power loss. It does go away after restarting but comes back as soon as engine is stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I too to got this warning couple of times in my Storme.It used to be there for sometime and go off. As you said, it was after a long drive both the times.Still checked with TASS and everything looked fine.
Same is the case with me, but this time while I was driving in hills it was on almost all the while, hence bit worried.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th May 2019 at 06:36. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 28th May 2019, 22:50   #4520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Yes it comes mostly in Ghat section not dependent on RPM. I have not experienced power loss. It does go away after restarting but comes back as soon as engine is stressed.
Quote:
same is the case with me but this time while I was driving in hills it was on almost all the while hence bit worried.
Why not specifically ask the TASS engineer to share the exact error code logged by OBD? It can then be deciphered with sufficient effort in follow ups at the right places. Clearing an error code and caling it a "fix" is the stupidest thing to do with any software & sadly thats what absolutely all service centers of all brands do. Easy way out.

I'd really suggest to insist them on sharing th error code. Also - getting a cheap OBD2 compliant device might also let you check the code yourself by pairing with a mobile software freely available. Both - the OBD2 scanner & mobile apps are available aplenty all over the place. Amazon...GooglePlayStore...Have a look.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:26   #4521
Aum
BHPian

Quote:

A quick update from my side, over last week or so beast has been in TASS. below was the error code when we started Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20190605_173155.jpg
they suggested problem is with crank sensor hence that got changed and beast was returned to me saying sir all is well now, we have identified and rectified the problem. 5 km drive post taking deliver, malfunction light was back again and beast was back in TASS again. after 2 day's of followup, I was told that problem is with Autocop gprs system, we have removed it and light is not coming back again. I took a test drive this time and light did not come back, however i had my own doubts on how gprs can interfere in ECU communication hence request they to connect OBD again and behold code was there as it is. After making lot of noise next day I was told that sir ECU is gone and we have requested for new ECU. I was hellbent on showing me EC change would make a difference hence asked they to connect some other ECU if available and show me error code does not comeback. after lot of pushing, they agreed and after test drive as I had guessed error code was still present. Attaching screenshot of error code of the sameClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190605_173155.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	1883572

Current status is they have asked TATA engineer to come and diagnose the problem. So net net after 1 week and dedicating complete weekend to TASS, i am still do not have any clue of what is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20190609_180942.jpg  

Aum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:44   #4522
Senior - BHPian

This seems like a connectivity issue. There seems to be a wiring issue. Either the wiring is bust or there is an accessory or OE electric item connected which is taking higher or lower than required voltage.
For example in BMW motorcycles a CANbus error is actuated if a lower voltage HID or LED bulb is installed on the motorcycle. Even indicators if changed to a different voltage throw up this error.

ECM changing was a shortcut. They need to check the whole wiring loom and all electric items for this issue now.
Old 10th June 2019, 13:36   #4523
Aum
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This seems like a connectivity issue. There seems to be a wiring issue. Either the wiring is bust or there is an accessory or OE electric item connected which is taking higher or lower than required voltage.
For example in BMW motorcycles a CANbus error is actuated if a lower voltage HID or LED bulb is installed on the motorcycle. Even indicators if changed to a different voltage throw up this error.

ECM changing was a shortcut. They need to check the whole wiring loom and all electric items for this issue now.
As per them wiring has been checked and there is no issue.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:14   #4524
Distinguished - BHPian

The Storme has now clocked 74.5k. Running well except for the lower FE at 9 kmpl in city. Not able to figure out what - I use my regular bunks (have tried some others too), cleaned the MAF, pressures maintained, System-D .. Longer distances (not all NH) have given upto 12. I have not tried a regular NH drive since I have not gone out much in recent times.

Btw, before cleaning the MAF, the FE had once dropped. "Once' because the air-filter had been cleaned and not sure what happened there.

Yesterday I got the interiors cleaned. No 3M stuff, but regular job done at home by a guy who has done the work for me before. Took a little more than 2 hours of vacuuming, shampoo & scrub, cleaning the marks that were there, and some polishing on the dash & other parts.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20190624wa0015.jpg . Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20190624wa0024.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20190624wa0018.jpg . Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20190624wa0022.jpg

Paid 1700, and was worth it.
condor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 12:29   #4525
BHPian

Any news on Safari passing the upcoming BS6 hurdle?
Old 5th July 2019, 12:37   #4526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Any news on Safari passing the upcoming BS6 hurdle?
No, Storme will not see BS-VI. Even Hexa is rumored to be phased out.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:05   #4527
BHPian

I had given my vehicle for service yesterday. Had to change the clutch plates since the driver side plate had more or less worn out. Flywheel side would have gone for another 1 to 2k. Took delivery last night and this morning took it out for a drive.
Within about 1km, the Service Indicator Light started flashing and almost immediately the vehicle lost power. Tacho would go to about 1.4k and then no more. A cycle overtook my vehicle when i was in 3rd gear. Switched off the vehicle, rested for 15 mts and then started again. The indicator light vanished, power came back on, but now the brakes became very spongy and the engine malfunction light switched on. In fact, the brake would hold if pressed once and if released and pressed again would not hold.
Called up the SA and arranged for a visit. Took off the engine cover and found that the Vaccum pump hose had come out of its housing. Put it back in and took the vehicle for a spin. All systems seemed to operate but the engine malfunction light was still on. Brakes held as normal (straight line with slight body jump). SA advised that the error has been registered in the on board system and till an OBD is connected and warning lights reset, the light will persist. Asked the SA to get it done, bleed the brakes in any case and put in ties to the hose units so that it does not slip out.
Any other pointers that i should check in the meantime ? I am planning a roadtrip tomorrow so do not want to be stranded on the highway. Attaching the images of errors taken
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20190809_070214.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20190809_075145_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by subraiyr : 9th August 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Forgot to post the pictures
Old 9th August 2019, 14:17   #4528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
SA advised that the error has been registered in the on board system and till an OBD is connected and warning lights reset, the light will persist. Asked the SA to get it done, bleed the brakes in any case and put in ties to the hose units so that it does not slip out.
This is right. (I'm assuming the SA simply shot in the dark hoping to hit the mark here; considering their overall expertise now a days.)
Once the error log is cleared, the indicator will go.

What worries me more is that a vacuum hose was left unsecured after a service. Its a critical connection & things could have gone for worse if you were in a ghat or something. I suggest you report this to TML higher management of A-S-S and ask for some sort of compensation! "Service" is now a days only about billing and adding labour charges for even a sneeze by the mechanic.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th August 2019 at 14:19.
Old 19th August 2019, 13:15   #4529
Distinguished - BHPian

76700 on the odo now. A quick trip over the weekend, and a refresh on how spacious the Storme is. Happened to sit in an i20 and a Nexon, and found them so compact. Plus the lower seating in these. Hard to think of going to a smaller vehicle after the Storme.

Vehicle itself is running steady, a nice 13+ avg, not very noisy on the highways. The ICE setup I have has been a nice touch. I am using Reliance or IOC, with a mix of Sys-D and Addon-D.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 13:09   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
...Took off the engine cover and found that the Vaccum pump hose had come out of its housing. Put it back in and took the vehicle for a spin. All systems seemed to operate but the engine malfunction light was still on. Brakes held as normal (straight line with slight body jump). SA advised that the error has been registered in the on board system and till an OBD is connected and warning lights reset, the light will persist. Asked the SA to get it done, bleed the brakes in any case and put in ties to the hose units so that it does not slip out...
Had a similar issue with my 2.2 but it was due to a leak in the hose. Vehicle drives without any issue till 70kmph and once you touch that, goes into limp more.

In my case, there was no need to do any work on the brake lines; it was just the issue with the vacuum hoses that needed a fix.

And yes, when in limp mode, you really suffer! Zero power!

Most Viewed