Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 10:13   #4381
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hi,
I am planning to pick up a used storme as soon as time permits. I just had one query about the turning radius. The earlier safari had a humongous one. Is this better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The turning radius has come down from 6 meters to 5.4, which is actually comparable to midsize sedans (e.g. Toyota Altis = 5.3 meters). Being the same sized vehicle, this means the turning clearance (which includes overhangs) has also come down from 13 meters to 11.8 m. U turns? Possible. That tight parking spot? Possible. Parallel parking? Possible. A lot of things that were previously impossible are now possible. I invited a Safari 3.0L owner to check out the Storme. He deliberately took 4-5 u-turns just to enjoy the feel!
From the Official Review.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 11:11   #4382
BHPian

45,000 Km Update:

Complete 45,000 KM in 30 months of ownership. As I have mentioned before, no major issue faced in all these months. Gave it for servicing to Trans Auto Faridabad and it was well taken care off. My AMC was expiring so got the SA to put in new clutch plates and brake pads under it. The clutch plates of the new Varicor have been installed in my 2014 Storme and the new clutch is as soft as my humble Ritz. I can avail the silver AMC now, but looking at the condition of the vehicle the SA has advised not to go for it.

Happy with the truck and Trans Auto.
garyag79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:42   #4383
Distinguished - BHPian

More queries about a used storme. I am not able to locate many VXs. Mostly EX(Thats the mid one, yeah?).
Is any version of the car equipped with steering controls for the stereo? And roof mounted AC for the back? The first is not really important, but the second is extremely so.
Can they be retrofitted if not existing?
Also, lets say, if the difference between the versions' pricings is about 1-1.5L, does it make sense save that and go for the lower one?
Old 21st November 2016, 12:14   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
More queries about a used storme. I am not able to locate many VXs. Mostly EX(Thats the mid one, yeah?).
Is any version of the car equipped with steering controls for the stereo? And roof mounted AC for the back? The first is not really important, but the second is extremely so.
Can they be retrofitted if not existing?
Also, lets say, if the difference between the versions' pricings is about 1-1.5L, does it make sense save that and go for the lower one?
None of the Safari Storme models have steering mounted controls.

EX has roof mounted AC. I think it can also be retrofitted (I personally would avoid that).

The clutch plate assembly of the Storme is rather prone to early wear if not used properly. Get a thorough investigation done by a familiar mechanic. Maintenance costs are rather steep (I used to pay 20-30K per year after the 6-year onwards).
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:21   #4385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
None of the Safari Storme models have steering mounted controls.

EX has roof mounted AC. I think it can also be retrofitted (I personally would avoid that).

The clutch plate assembly of the Storme is rather prone to early wear if not used properly. Get a thorough investigation done by a familiar mechanic. Maintenance costs are rather steep (I used to pay 20-30K per year after the 6-year onwards).
I have the mechanic part covered. Rather early for clutch implies how early? I am careful with my clutches, I think. I mean, I have mechanical empathy, and know what not to do.
So, EX onwards will have roof mounted aircon.
Any other pointers, and things to look at?
Old 21st November 2016, 12:36   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is any version of the car equipped with steering controls for the stereo? And roof mounted AC for the back?
400NM VX has steering mounted controls along with roof mounted AC.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 14:19   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
I have the mechanic part covered. Rather early for clutch implies how early? I am careful with my clutches, I think. I mean, I have mechanical empathy, and know what not to do.
So, EX onwards will have roof mounted aircon.
Any other pointers, and things to look at?
I had my clutch plate replaced at 80K km. I had it overhauled at 30K, that was when we had a driver. And again the 80K replacement was after we had a driver. Coincidence or not, in both cases of clutch problems, we had a driver for a couple of months prior to the issue raised.

Some other pointers: Look for rusting in the bonnet area, bottom of the doors and in the roof railing. Lift the vehicle and check each wheel for any wobble. There should be absolutely no smoke during idling.
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 16:15   #4388
Senior - BHPian

If you buy the new VX with the 400Nm engine you really don'e need to worry about any of those queries you have.
It has steering mounted controls including those for call accepting and ending via seamless bluetooth.
It has a very good AC with a roof mounted unit which chills the whole cabin quite nicely.
The clutch is a new self adjusting unit. Also with the increased torque you don't have to slip the clutch in inclines or stop and go traffic which was the major clutch eater in earlier models. This has plenty of torque to start off without accelerator input even on inclines.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 17:18   #4389
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think I will find any Varicors in my budget.
So far, I have only been able to locate 4-5 Stormes of 2012-13 vintage. Not one Varicor. In or out of budget.
If you guys have any good leads, I would love to check out a recommended car.
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:01   #4390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I am manufacturing ORVM's and supplying them to some OEMs (read: OEM vendors, and not the car manufacturers) and into replacement market primarily.
Is there any place which maintains stock of the OEM Storme ORVMs? I had heard of 99RPM but they seem to have given up on Tata for now. I managed break mine entirely through my own fault - and Tata has failed to fix it for many weeks entirely through theirs.

There seems to be a metal plate behind the ORVM glass with some sort of impressed printing. It also has wires (as opposed to the mechanical cables) that connected to it. It looked a bit like the defogger-heater strips so is the ORVM also heated? Mine is the 2013 VX 4x4 Storme, I don't know if they have model specific changes to this.

If it is heated, that is just a reminder that the ultimate destination for the car was always the cold of the high Himalayas!
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:37   #4391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post
It looks a bit like the defogger-heater strips, so is the ORVM also heated? Mine is the 2013 VX 4x4 Storme,
Yes - the VX has heated mirrors.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 10:12   #4392
BHPian

Has anybody got the K&N air filter fitted in Storme? I wanted to go for the same but unable to see the Storme on their list. Please help!

Cheers!
Old 28th December 2016, 12:14   #4393
BHPian

Completed 51k in 38 months, recently changed tyres. Got michelin ltx at2 from Sai in pune @7400/- a piece, balancing & alignment inclusive.

Ride is softer now, however I still see vibration in steering at low speeds. Other thing is fuel efficiency has gone down quite a bit... Getting around 10km, I m light at accelator, use AC in economics mode and have daily run of approx 35km from rahatani to Yerwada.

What should I SA to check, your advise will be appreciated
Old 28th December 2016, 12:26   #4394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Getting around 10km, I m light at accelator, use AC in economics mode and have daily run of approx 35km from rahatani to Yerwada. What should I SA to check, your advise will be appreciated
Might be a little OT, but 10 kmpl for Rahatni-Yerawda and back is quite good, specially if you travel during typical office hours. Try and tweak your to & fro timings a bit for one tank full, and see if the mileage increases. If yes, that means the traffic is to blame, and not the vehicle.

For the steering vibration, Storme gurus will obviously give a more detailed reply, but to start with, eliminate the usual suspects first (correct tyre pressure, alignment/balancing check from another reputed shop) before talking to the SA.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th December 2016 at 12:33.
Old 28th December 2016, 12:33   #4395
BHPian

Thank you Vikram, Tyre pressure, alignment & balancing done recently, all good. What could be other suspects.

This is from long time and I was told it was due to tyres, now with new tyres, it is still same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks