Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:52   #4126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A bike will also be sufficient for a single person. The reason I chose the Safari earlier and now the Storme is the pure pleasure in driving and covering/cruising vast distances in great comfort.
I really appeciate that and respect your choice

Quote:
Rickshaw up the ghats is not new, there are enough articles out there which a simple google search will provide.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ladak...ickshaw-583322 OT
Thank you for sharing the link. Read through the article. This article dated July 03, 2014 11:38 IST, mentions, "A rickshaw 'walla' has set out on a daring 3,000-km expedition from Kolkata to the famous Khardung La pass in Ladakh, which has one of the world's highest motorable road. Expecting to complete the expedition within five months, he is also eyeing an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records for his feat"

"Throughout the day he pedals to cover around 40-50 km every day and for night halt he looks for a religious place like temple or gurudwara where he can stay safely for free."

There is no mention that he has completed the journey or reached Khardung La pass (not nit picking here). In your previous post you mentioned, "Even an auto rickshaw will climb the ghat" and I believe this article refers to a "cycle rickshaw" (please correct me if I am wrong)

Quote:
Innova is not a sports car to shine up twisties, it can barely keep up modern traffic, and the body roll in the last row is puke inducing, I have experienced this first hand for 15 days with my family in Kashmir, where we traveled in a hired Innova.
Sorry to know about that. I do agree ghat roads can induce motion sickness in some passengers. But a naive question here, why didn't you choose a Safari/ Storme over an Innova while you were in Kashmir?

Please don't rebuke at me. I want to rest my case and don't want to stretch this Storme Vs Innova debate any further. I agree Storme is more pleasurable to drive and has definitely more power/torque than the humble Innova, but I care more about passenger comfort. I always wanted to carry 6 passengers (in my family) and the occassional 7th or 8th from the extended family (with their holiday luggage) on long journeys with decent comfort. Would a Storme/ SCorpio be able to do that, probably not. This does not mean I am questioning your decision on going for the Safari and then the Storme, I am only justifying mine. You can enjoy your car (alone or with your family) and I can enjoy mine . Om shaanti, shaanti, shaantihi
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 22:14   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I really appeciate that and respect your choice

I am only justifying mine. You can enjoy your car (alone or with your family) and I can enjoy mine . Om shaanti, shaanti, shaantihi
I see no reason for not having peace bro, your choice is yours mine is mine.. however I am surprised to see you debate about your choice on this thread...
No secrets there if someone wants a 7 seater he should consider the Innova, Aria or the Xylo.. others just don't cut it.
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:14   #4128
Senior - BHPian

I have been in the market for a new car for the past 10 months. I wanted the Safari as I've been a fan since my first test drive in 1998. But my family wanted Mobilio. I fought them off for too long and finally went to the Tata Showroom yesterday deciding to book Safari Storme Ex or Aria pleasure. But Storme still not launched. Old model available only in urban bronze and Discount of ₹50,000/-. Aria discount reduced to ₹30,000/-. And the deal breaker minimum waiting period of 25 days to 2 months.
Went to Mahindra showroom and test drove the new XUV 500, but not very happy.
So went to the Honda Showroom and booked a Carnellian red Mobilio RS with a sad heart. Hopefully my next car in 3 years will be a safari. Thanks for all the support guys.
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:04   #4129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its sluggish. And needs to be kept on the boil, keeping the momentum. If you lose it, in slow moving traffic, it takes a long time to start picking up momentum again.

This is all of course in relation to the other vehicles being tested.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I agree on plain straight highways, Innova will be huffing and puffing to keep pace with other cars, but on the twisties and ghats, it still shines. Ever wondered why you find so many Innovas in the higher reaches of Himachal, Uttaranchal, Leh-Laddakh etc?
A couple of months back, me and my friends went on a 1700 km road-trip of the NE states in 2 Innovas. While one was new (4 months,20k kms), the second was fairly old (4+ yrs,250k kms). Given the pathetic road conditions along 50% of the trip distance, Innovas were the best thing that happened to us (apart from the scenic beauty of course). It cocooned us in the best possible way and took all the abuse just like they had been for the past 4 years. But I was surprised to see the frequency of use of 1st/2nd/3rd gears in the twisties (which I am sure could have been done in atleast one higher gear) and yet accelerated slowly. I even coaxed the drivers to refrain from the 1st gear but they refused saying Innova will not pull easily. Sometimes the driver was losing patience while over-taking the long Army convoys and used to rev the Innova to 4k+ RPM and yet the vehicles felt sluggish. (Mind you, I am ignoring a few extra steep slopes where these cars burnt clutches and struggled a lot in the 1st gear too and also not discussing their performance on the plain roads).

Today Innova is the preferred choice among taxi operators because customers demand these cars for the sheer comfort while paying a premium. The operators are happy as they get the premium rent and bullet-proof vehicles. The driver of the Innova said his boss owns 63 taxis (including TFort, Mercs and BMW) which includes 37 Innovas. Ideally it takes 2-3 years to recover the cost of the vehicle while the vehicle lasts profitably upto 5 years. Last 2-2.5 years is the profit making period and the high resale is the bonus.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:49   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A couple of months back, me and my friends went on a 1700 km road-trip of the NE states in 2 Innovas. While one was new (4 months,20k kms), the second was fairly old (4+ yrs,250k kms). Given the pathetic road conditions along 50% of the trip distance, Innovas were the best thing that happened to us (apart from the scenic beauty of course). It cocooned us in the best possible way and took all the abuse just like they had been for the past 4 years. But I was surprised to see the frequency of use of 1st/2nd/3rd gears in the twisties (which I am sure could have been done in atleast one higher gear) and yet accelerated slowly. I even coaxed the drivers to refrain from the 1st gear but they refused saying Innova will not pull easily. Sometimes the driver was losing patience while over-taking the long Army convoys and used to rev the Innova to 4k+ RPM and yet the vehicles felt sluggish. (Mind you, I am ignoring a few extra steep slopes where these cars burnt clutches and struggled a lot in the 1st gear too and also not discussing their performance on the plain roads).
Very well put and happy to know my own personal experiences with the Innova were not individual vehicle or driving technique specific.

@AutoIndian not to belabor a point, but I was never speaking about how the Innova performs in traffic or the urban setting or even flat highways. If one is willing to put up with the engine feel and the noise (both extremely distressing) then even the Innova can be pushed to pretty respectable speeds on the highway (I have).

I am talking about climbing performance in the hills, and with traffic, where you are not assured of a clean open twisty section where you can build up steam and place the car precisely and carry the momentum through nicely. Such is never the case in real life situations, and exactly as has been mentioned above, one needs to keep dropping gears and even then when one gets an opening the accelerator is just not in the power band. Dead. And then flickers to life. Slowly.

You also misunderstood about my perspective viewpoint. It was not ONLY with driving light zippy petrol sedans and hatchbacks, but for the purpose of making a decision, pitted directly head to head against the SUVs and MUVs I was testing at the time. All 2000 kilos or thereabouts. All big and lumbering. All diesel.

When, like you, I was looking at primarily a people carrier (7 in comfort, in the 10-11 lacs or thereabouts range) the Innova and the Xylo were the only ones I tested. The Aria was too expensive (those days the cheapest base version had not yet been introduced - neither had the big price cuts and discounts) so was not considered. And in spite of some prominent bawa Auto journo big wig friends giving me dire warnings against the Xylo (handling, braking - scary being the word use pretty regularly) and telling me Innova eyes closed, PURELY AS A DRIVER the Xylo to me was a more enjoyable, sporty, butch and pleasing drive. Oh and yes, I di drive the Suo Grande once as well. MkI or II I don't recall.

Then I increased my budget, and decided to indulge myself more than the once a year need of a pure 7 seater - and started looking at "on paper" 7 seaters which would satisfy in the segment of size and weight, my primary need for performance in the same budget.

Enter the Safari, the Storme, the Aria, the Scorpio, the XUV, and the Force 1. I actually liked the Force 1 for its size and the Merc bit, but getting a test drive was a logistical nightmare. That and the company credentials in the segment and the possibilities of spares and service issues (bolstered by Amitabh Bacchan's very cheesily disgusting ad) nixed that for me in favor of the Storme. In the end the Aria lost out because of the wheezy test vehicle and the overall look and feel of the vehicle. The Storme was the spanking new puppy in the crowd. And I have not regretted the decision since.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd June 2015 at 11:51.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:19   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its a great upgrade from Dicor (or older) vintage guys.
Lol. Now that dicor has been declared vintage, I might finally convince myself that a truck change is necessary.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:22   #4132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Storme does handle beautifully. Yes, my standard SUV test track/proving ground prior to buying the Storme, for all the dealer vehicles that came home, was to take it to the Bapdev Ghat that is about 15 kms from my place (one way). Clim the ghat pushing the vehicle, then descend and head back home in an equally spirited manner. The Storme was a revelation. The worst was the Innova (simply no climbing legs). The Scorpio was scary. The Xylo actually better than the Scorpio. The XUV was slightly better than the Aria,
Doc, did you test the Rexton as well, I think that is is one vehicle which is rarely discussed here, and in your words a paper 7 seat MPV, with the third row almost on the floor. I found it a bit sluggish to start probably due to lot of weight, but runs well once you are at moderate speed.
I have gone through two Innovas from 2005 till 2012, and want to avoid a third, but that is what the family will decide unless I decide first. Everything great about the Storm except the jump seats for the two extra passengers.

Quote:
LOL my middle row is the nerve center of my long drives. If people over there are happy, then I am happy. The happier they are, the sleepier they are.
I like that, comfortable passengers means un disturbed long drives for us.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:32   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Lol. Now that dicor has been declared vintage, I might finally convince myself that a truck change is necessary.
LOL no I did not mean it in the vintage "old" way. Just in terms of the generational age, like good wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Doc, did you test the Rexton as well, I think that is is one vehicle which is rarely discussed here, and in your words a paper 7 seat MPV, with the third row almost on the floor. I found it a bit sluggish to start probably due to lot of weight, but runs well once you are at moderate speed.

I have gone through two Innovas from 2005 till 2012, and want to avoid a third, but that is what the family will decide unless I decide first. Everything great about the Storm except the jump seats for the two extra passengers.
No I never looked at the more expensive next price slab SUVs like the Rexton or the Captiva or the Fortuner. I did like the old Pajero a lot. So does my wife. Its a thoroughbred SUV which is as spacious and comfortable for 7 inside as an Innova is. Done a few Pune Mumbai trip in a friend's red and white one, and I really like it. Not much of a mover though. But solid. The rich moneyed villagers love it around these parts.

Quote:
I like that, comfortable passengers means un disturbed long drives for us.
I would suggest you look at the new Aria for a change of scene from the Innova story. No reason why the driver should not pamper himself as well. The 3rd row is pretty nice for two 5 foot and a little bit over type kiddos. So around 13-14 year olds can happily sit there. Without their knees in their chest. And if the car is not packed then the whole 2nd and 3rd row fold flat giving you a football field sized area to lay out a mattress on which quite easily a mother and two small kids can stretch out comfortably and sleep. Or have a big sit-out picnic party zone. The options are endless.

The vehicle is BIG. Its pretty loaded (by Tata standards -which means spartan, but top quality) with gizmos and high end music and stuff. Air bags. Tons of AC vents and cabin lights and soft touch nooks and crannies to keep all passengers happy. The interiors are very nicely done (looks international, rich). Solid chassis and handling. Good engine with more power now. If you can get over the outer looks and driving position, its a lovely vehicle for the price. I personally place it a lot higher than the XUV, which like the Scorpio vs Storme, is a size smaller in comparison. No one does real estate like Tata.

Coming from an Innova, it should be intuitive for you. A sardar friend of mine is also thinking of retiring his Innova now (the one I climbed Torna with .....) and I am strongly pushing the Aria on to him. But the Toyota to Tata jump needs a strong heart and a leap of faith. Not everybody's cup of masala chai.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th June 2015 at 11:43.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:03   #4134
BHPian

Hello!

Wanted to share an update on the Official Review Storme thread, a small DIY done by me on the beast:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-0.-welcome.jpg

You can find more details in my ownership review thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3722905

Regards,
Rohan Sachar.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:09   #4135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
+1.

Today Innova is the preferred choice among taxi operators because customers demand these cars for the sheer comfort while paying a premium. ...
Yes, Innova is best as taxi but worst as car. I mean mechanically it may be reliable or whatever. But, I mean look at that thing. Looks like a parcel van. Downright ugly and ill-proportioned. On top of it, it has a screaming taxi image. Other problem is, even an owner driving it looks like a driver. A relative of mine got so sick of being addressed as driver that he eventually sold his Innova and bought Fortuner. But, yes, Innova ride is much better than Fortuner's. But he is still happy. At least Fortuner has that butch SUV look which even 70-80 Lakh German SUVs lack.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 15:26   #4136
BHPian

A 43500km quick update.

Vehicle has been running fine and quite well till now. The only major issues faced so far are:
1. Balancing rod (jumping rod) bushes wore out, leading to a lot of groaning noise when going over speed breakers or when driving over undulated roads at slow speeds. The bushes don't seem to be easily available in TASSes, even in the busier workshops like Concorde etc. Finally got then ordered through a local TASS (Delta Vehicle Support) and replaced the front ones. Damages = Rs. 850/- odd for parts and labour. The rear bushes are still not available.
2. AC compressor started making a mild whining noise when on. This was quite clearly audible to me, especially when working in ECON mode where the compressor switches on and off frequently. Surprisingly, the SA and SE couldn't seem to hear it on two occasions that I went. On the third occasion, after a lot of careful listening, the SE admitted that there is a noise. Had to pull a few strings in TML to get the replacement compressor and it was changed under warranty. What is surprising is that the compressor itself (Mitsubishi) seems to be a fairly small unit, cooling such a big car.

Other than the above, only some minor issues so far such as the rear door rattling (which never seems to get sorted out) and the front left side of the bumper getting dislodged at the edge.

Tyres seem to have another 30K odd km left in them. Will upgrade to 255s when changing. I am also planning to do a matte black paint on all the 4 wheel rims (mine is EX, so steel wheels), retaining the steel look on the bolts and the hub cap.

Average fuel economy seems to be hovering around the 12.5 - 13kmpl mark. I have all the records since the very first filling, so will make a Excel file and post it for everyone's benefit.

Cheers!
sasi405 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 16:12   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you look at the new Aria for a change of scene from the Innova story. No reason why the driver should not pamper himself as well.
I did consider the Aria, and liked everything inside it, but not the look. The main issue with Aria is that it is likely to be discontinued in favor of the Hexa, and the 2014 stock in the Tata yard was sold at a discount of 3.5 Lakh per vehicle to a few fleet operators.
This heavy discount kills the resale value considerably.

Rahul
Old 5th June 2015, 16:53   #4138
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did consider the Aria, and liked everything inside it, but not the look. The main issue with Aria is that it is likely to be discontinued in favor of the Hexa, and the 2014 stock in the Tata yard was sold at a discount of 3.5 Lakh per vehicle to a few fleet operators.

Rahul
Hexa is nothing but Aria with side and front cladding and some minor changes here and there. Only major change will be engine with higher power and gear box.

even otherwise ARIA do not have much resale value.

But ride quality of ARIA in very good and much better than Safari. Mechanically it is the best TATA sofar.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 16:57   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rahul
Anyways I do not think Tata vehicles have a stellar resale value. Safari all the more. A few vehicles sold at steep discounts are unlikely to affect the across range resale all that much. Either way, Safari or Storme or Aria, you are not going to be entering the used market and expecting Innova style resale. If you measure that against 3.5 lacs off the price, that brings the Aria to lower than Safari Dicor LX levels. Its a very attractive option. When I was in the market, I was getting similar offers with 2 lacs off. 3.5 is near double.
Old 5th June 2015, 22:47   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways I do not think Tata vehicles have a stellar resale value. Safari all the more. A few vehicles sold at steep discounts are unlikely to affect the across range resale all that much. Either way, Safari or Storme or Aria, you are not going to be entering the used market and expecting Innova style resale. If you measure that against 3.5 lacs off the price, that brings the Aria to lower than Safari Dicor LX levels. Its a very attractive option. When I was in the market, I was getting similar offers with 2 lacs off. 3.5 is near double.
I agree!! However buying something like the Innova, for resale value, and compromising big time on driving pleasure IMO is not the hallmark of an enthusiast, but of a person who considers a car as an appliance like a mixer or a fridge.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks