Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 11:08   #4096
AVR
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Wasn't Aria with AT showcased in the last Auto Expo? Its been over an year and no sign of that unicorn yet.
OT but nevertheless:

Let's say you sell ~50 Arias a month. I wonder if it even makes sense to go through a product launch and end up selling ~ 100 Arias a month (100% increase) due to AMT. I think TML's half-hearted approach to passenger cars goes down to quarter-hearted or semi-quarter-hearted (for lack of a better word!) when it comes to the Aria.
It also reflects in their attitude to selling. The guy trying to sell me a Xenon 3.0 (or me trying to buy - decided against it though) last week sent me pics of the new Toyota Hilux pickup from its launch on whatsapp. I don't even know what to say to this aggressive sales tactic!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 09:02   #4097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am sick and tired of all the testing done by Tata and Mahindra for their AT Safaris and XUVs. Will they keep on testing for 100 years? Can't they see that cheapest AT diesel SUV is at 30+ Lakhs today and there is a huuuge void under that.

For heaven's sake launch an SUV with AMT/TC/CVT/DSG or whatever but give us a clutch-free drive through the mayhem called inner-city traffic. How many more years do these guys need to realize this?
there is already a clutch free version available, it is called a chauffeur. A part time chauffeur will be cheap, the car can still be used to drive manually and enjoy on highways, the fuel cost increase of a A/T will not effect you, and one can enjoy the tremendous backseat comfort when negotiating inner city traffic
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 11:11   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
there is already a clutch free version available, it is called a chauffeur. A part time chauffeur will be cheap, the car can still be used to drive manually and enjoy on highways, the fuel cost increase of a A/T will not effect you, and one can enjoy the tremendous backseat comfort when negotiating inner city traffic
Never quite thought of it like this.

Most of my colleagues have chauffeurs. In terms of ageing from within (as against simply chronologically), I consider it the driving equivalent of playing golf.

Good full time (8 hours) chauffeurs in Pune are about 15K a month. Which means about 2 lacs added to the cost of the vehicle every year.

Methinks the AT would be cheaper.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 15:31   #4099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Never quite thought of it like this.

Most of my colleagues have chauffeurs. In terms of ageing from within (as against simply chronologically), I consider it the driving equivalent of playing golf.

Good full time (8 hours) chauffeurs in Pune are about 15K a month. Which means about 2 lacs added to the cost of the vehicle every year.

Methinks the AT would be cheaper.
I don't know about Pune, but in Mumbai and Hyderabad, you can get a driver on hire, for even a single trip, charges about 500 per trip, he will drive to your house or where ever your car is, drive it to your destination and then leave. Very useful if you attend a party or catch up on a couple of drinks, without the hassle of hiring a cab.
Old 30th May 2015, 15:43   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I don't know about Pune, but in Mumbai and Hyderabad, you can get a driver on hire, for even a single trip, charges about 500 per trip, he will drive to your house or where ever your car is, drive it to your destination and then leave. Very useful if you attend a party or catch up on a couple of drinks, without the hassle of hiring a cab.
Err .... we have those in Pune too bro.

Just assumed you were talking about a more permanent fix considering a city commute is not usually a one-time thing.
Old 31st May 2015, 07:29   #4101
Senior - BHPian

I drove the new Storme yesterday. It was bhpian Xbox360's Storme and as a current stormed owner, it gave me a good opportunity to figure out what's changed.

First up the cabin ambience. The Storme always had a good quality cabin but the changes done to the new version have lifted the overall ambience. The dash looks great in person, the darker fabrics look classy and overall finish seems to have gone up a notch.

Now the drive- the first thing that struck me was the clutch....it is so smooth and light. In fact I would say it's lighter than the clutch of my sx4.

Tata seems to have retuned the engine for a more linear power delivery and it shows. No more sudden grunt but a good solid shove right from idle. Also the engine is amazingly smooth and NVH is brilliant. The suspension too has been reworked for an even better ride and handling is marginally better.

The usual attributes of the Safari remain, viz. Brilliant ride, acres of space, road presence, commanding view etc.

All in all this is a significant upgrade to the storme and I would say that it's certainly the best safari yet.

Drive it to believe it. If you are in the market for a sub 25 l SUV, then ignore the Storme at your own peril. The Scorpio and xuv are not even in the same league when it comes to quality and sheer engineering finesse.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 31st May 2015 at 07:32.
Old 31st May 2015, 08:21   #4102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Behram sir, any chance of getting the new clutch / improved lighter clutch for the older Storme's ?

(Note: Blank quote being used to bring my question to BD sir's attention )
Old 31st May 2015, 14:31   #4103
Senior - BHPian

The Safari website isn't updated still! Also, there has been no official word on the launch yet. But the deliveries have begun.
Don't they want the people know something has changed about the Storme? Quite inexplicable. Looks like TaMo has outdone itself this time around!
Old 31st May 2015, 14:59   #4104
BHPian

Three more Safari Storme variants to come – SCOOP
Tata Motors will make the Safari Storme as its flagship model until it launches the new SUV, which will be built on the Land Rover platform. The Safari Storme has received an upgrade as it now has a more powerful engine with 148bhp and 320Nm. The Safari Storme will come in three variants, one will be a performance packed variant, which is the 400Nm and 163bhp. This will have better handling and shall be a lot sportier too. It might even feature a six-speed box too, as the one that we had spotted earlier on.

The second one will be an automatic (six-speed ZF transmission). This will have the same 148bhp of power and 320Nm of torque with the same VARiCOR engine. The third option will be a luxurious one. This will have a Harman music system with touchscreen, satellite navigation and reverse parking camera. Our sources confirm that Tata Motors has been working on these three variants since 2013, six months after the company had launched the Safari Storme. To make the car more luxurious, powerful and even convenient. For these reasons, Tata Motors will be introducing more variants on the Safari Storme.

At the moment, the Safari Storme has just got a revision and the company is taking steps with precaution. The Safari Storme variants will start coming in late 2015. Even Mahindra is gearing to get the Scorpio automatic. So, soon we have multiple automatic options in seven-seater SUVs.

Source - http://motoroctane.com/news/13806-th...-to-come-scoop
Old 31st May 2015, 15:08   #4105
Senior - BHPian

The best part is that it all comes at the same price. Booking my Storme 4WD this week.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 15:32   #4106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The best part is that it all comes at the same price. Booking my Storme 4WD this week.
Hi rajneeesh. Congratulations on your booking. Give your detail review along with photographs if possible. i seriously consider three cars (XUV500, VW Jetta, Storme VX) for my 15 lacs budget and storme is one of them.
Old 31st May 2015, 15:36   #4107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Ever since i saw these spy pics on FB, i I was a little restless, so got in touch with my "undercover mole: in TML . Little Birdie update- the Storme AT under test is a six speed auto with torque bumped upto 400NM as this gearbox is well suited for the additional torque. This same tune and gearbox combo will be offered on the Hexa. Apparently the sightings of the Storme with Varicor400 badge were the AT test mules. The current five speed manual cannot handle 400 NM of torque.
And by the time they launch this, Mahindra would have already come out with its 6 speed Automatic XUV 5oo with more gamut of features. If the Safari is launched that time, it will look like stock bare bone compared to the XUV and the war will be lost again.

Its too little too late for the Safari to garner numbers IMO.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 19:26   #4108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
Three more Safari Storme variants to come – SCOOP

Tata Motors will make the Safari Storme as its flagship model until it launches the new SUV, which will be built on the Land Rover platform. The Safari Storme has received an upgrade as it now has a more powerful engine with 148bhp and 320Nm. The Safari Storme will come in three variants, one will be a performance packed variant, which is the 400Nm and 163bhp. This will have better handling and shall be a lot sportier too. It might even feature a six-speed box too, as the one that we had spotted earlier on.

The second one will be an automatic (six-speed ZF transmission). This will have the same 148bhp of power and 320Nm of torque with the same VARiCOR engine. The third option will be a luxurious one. This will have a Harman music system with touchscreen, satellite navigation and reverse parking camera. Our sources confirm that Tata Motors has been working on these three variants since 2013, six months after the company had launched the Safari Storme. To make the car more luxurious, powerful and even convenient. For these reasons, Tata Motors will be introducing more variants on the Safari Storme.

At the moment, the Safari Storme has just got a revision and the company is taking steps with precaution. The Safari Storme variants will start coming in late 2015. Even Mahindra is gearing to get the Scorpio automatic. So, soon we have multiple automatic options in seven-seater SUVs.

Source - http://motoroctane.com/news/13806-th...-to-come-scoop

I don't know if we should use the adage "phookh phookh ke chalna " but something tells me that this could be a fantastic new initiative that can revive the cult.

If we can simple put aside the LX, EX and Vx nomenclature and start the variants like the Safari Sports line, Luxury Line and Prestige Line (ala BMW, but obviously some new terminologies) for the aforementioned variants - all the three could be a wholesome car on its own, and still cater to different sects of buyers.

I am eating some fish crumbs at the airport, but the imagination of 163bhp, ZF transmission and Harman Kardon are making me salivate more....
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 11:58   #4109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
I am eating some fish crumbs at the airport, but the imagination of 163bhp, ZF transmission and Harman Kardon are making me salivate more....
I am having morning tea in front of my computer daydreaming about my first gen Storme EX exactly as it is, with the engine having an overnight shot of steroids and EPO and now pumping out 175 bhp with 400 Nm torque and a 6 speed manual box with similar throws and shift quality as in my Storme. With tyres to match. And the improved/tweaked suspension and handling to be able to utilize all of the above and stick to the road with confidence.

I am perfectly ok with my no airbags, purple backlit analog clock (a mini grandfather in Burma teak would be nicer), and my Alpine single DIN music system and the dash as it is.

Reclining seat back for second row would be nice too. Easily doable - wonder why they don't do it. The comfort and luxury level of an already very nice sofa will increase exponentially.

A bigger fuel tank too so that I can do at least 500 kms between fills. Currently I do 350-400.

Also reshape (or pad) the edge of the central console fascia against which my left leg/knee rest. And give the Storme the same comfortable soft flat wide window sills the Dicor has - perfect for resting your right elbow.

Such small tweaks to the key critical contact points can make a world of difference to the drive experience.

Also I don't know if other Storme drivers have experienced this, or I need to modify my seat position, but after driving 300-400 kms, the effort of keeping your right foot on the accelerator pedal starts giving me ankle cramps.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:29   #4110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Concorde guys told me that mine is going to be the very first Storme Refresh delivered in AP/Telangana region.

Have been told to come around 12 to take delivery. Wish me luck guys
Congratulations!
When you do PDI, try engaging 4L also. Once 4L light comes on, try turning the vehicle and you should face resistance.

In PDI they often neglect to check 4L. So you should always check it yourself. Sometimes, due to over-enthusiastic washing guys, they give pressure wash to connectors at the bottom, and your 4x4 goes for a toss temporarily.

Tata Motors, if you are reading this, pray tell why can't you fit a 10rs plastic plate under the transfer case motor? This will save a lot of us from a ton of grief. Since last 10 years we have been crying for this simple fix, and you go ahead and fit this only in Xenon, which does not even sell 1/10 of the safari in numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I am having morning tea in front of my computer daydreaming about my first gen Storme EX exactly as it is, with the engine having an overnight shot of steroids and EPO and now pumping out 175 bhp with 400 Nm torque and a 6 speed manual box with similar throws and shift quality as in my Storme. With tyres to match. And the improved/tweaked suspension and handling to be able to utilize all of the above and stick to the road with confidence.
You get an engine making 148bhp(10 more), no clock(just one in the radio(which is excellent).
If you are buying LX you get 15" 235/75R15 tires. This is

Quote:
Reclining seat back for second row would be nice too. Easily doable - wonder why they don't do it. The comfort and luxury level of an already very nice sofa will increase exponentially.
Well not reclining, but safari rear seat is still the most comfortable place you can be south of 15L

Quote:
A bigger fuel tank too so that I can do at least 500 kms between fills. Currently I do 350-400.
Your prayers have been answered, it has a 63L tank

Quote:
Also reshape (or pad) the edge of the central console fascia against which my left leg/knee rest. And give the Storme the same comfortable soft flat wide window sills the Dicor has - perfect for resting your right elbow.

Such small tweaks to the key critical contact points can make a world of difference to the drive experience.

Also I don't know if other Storme drivers have experienced this, or I need to modify my seat position, but after driving 300-400 kms, the effort of keeping your right foot on the accelerator pedal starts giving me ankle cramps.
Again prayers answered. No more kneeing the steering wheel even for 6 feet + drivers!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st June 2015 at 12:33.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed