Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 14:51   #3901
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Most of these issues have cropped up since the last service done around a month and 900 kms back. Haven't done any highway trip either. Do you recommend getting the injectors cleaned / changed or something else? Thanks.
Ask TASS to check the injectors. If there is any issue get them changed under warranty. Also, insist on replacement of the full set of 4 injectors. I've heard that injectors 2 and 3 clog up much easier than 1 and 4 (they are subjected to more heat). When I had trouble with my injectors, I could visually make out that they were dirty and clogged.

I'm not sure of the service schedules for storme, but i give my dicor 2.2 an oil change every 7.5k to keep the engine in optimum shape. That might be an overkill, but oil change after at most 10k is a must. 15k is stretching it too far. I would also recommend earlier than recommended oil change for differential as well.

I don't want to alarm you but TASS mechanics swapping out injectors (or other expensive parts) on 'under warranty' cars to be put in cars that are 'out of warranty' is not very uncommon. They make hefty money this way. I've also experienced TASS charging for differential oil change and not actually doing it. That was the last straw for me, my truck's been serviced by my trusted local mechanic since then. The damage TASS caused to my rear diff and LSD is permanent.

Last edited by param22k : 14th April 2015 at 14:54.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:03   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
. Engine has off late become quite noisy. A distinct tak-tak sound comes on idling which never came earlier. Showed this to the SA at Concorde Mathura Road who also found it abnormal but was dismissed by the folks on the floor. The sound is still there and engine noise inside the cabin had gone up but they are not accepting it
Dear Rahul

As param suggested, get your injectors checked. I was facing the same problem and 2 of the injectors were changed under warranty and this problem later grew by busting the Common rail which was also changed eventually.

A stitch in time saves nine!
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 15:57   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Dear Rahul

As param suggested, get your injectors checked. I was facing the same problem and 2 of the injectors were changed under warranty and this problem later grew by busting the Common rail which was also changed eventually.

A stitch in time saves nine!
A had this tak-tak sound once which disappeared when I pressed the clutch and starting backing out of my driveway. It has never reappeared.

Could it be that?

Also once in the very early days when me and my brother in law were testing out the top speed of the Storme, once it hit a certain magical speed (whole number in terms of decades .... ) there was a loud tak-tak-tak-tak which happened.

Alarmed we pulled to the side of the expressway (on a designated shoulder bay) and checked the engine bay and the under carriage closely. Nothing out of the ordinary. Again, that sound also never reappeared. On the drive back immediately thereafter or anytime afterwards (have never hit that same speed anytime afterwards either ....).

The TASS guys spoke to someone in R&D at TATA who said there is an injector fuel cut-off at that same certain speed, which causes that loud sound.

Wonder if MR. BEHRAM DHABHAR sir can please confirm !

Last edited by ebonho : 14th April 2015 at 16:03.
Old 14th April 2015, 16:28   #3904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A had this tak-tak sound once which disappeared when I pressed the clutch and starting backing out of my driveway. It has never reappeared.

Could it be that?

Also once in the very early days when me and my brother in law were testing out the top speed of the Storme, once it hit a certain magical speed (whole number in terms of decades .... ) there was a loud tak-tak-tak-tak which happened.

Alarmed we pulled to the side of the expressway (on a designated shoulder bay) and checked the engine bay and the under carriage closely. Nothing out of the ordinary. Again, that sound also never reappeared. On the drive back immediately thereafter or anytime afterwards (have never hit that same speed anytime afterwards either ....).

The TASS guys spoke to someone in R&D at TATA who said there is an injector fuel cut-off at that same certain speed, which causes that loud sound.

Wonder if MR. BEHRAM DHABHAR sir can please confirm !
Dear Vistasp - I have noted this point (as I note all points), I will PM you shortly because I will have to obtain this correct feedback from the correct source. Process started.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 14th April 2015 at 16:34.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:30   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vistasp - I have noted this point (as I note all points), I will PM you shortly because I will have to obtain this correct feedback from the correct source.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
As always, you are a hero sir! Thank you.
Old 14th April 2015, 16:32   #3906
BHPian

Will get my injectors checked and update. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2015, 16:46   #3907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As always, you are a hero sir! Thank you.
Dear Vistasp - thanks for your lovely words, coming from a customer, I feel that I have achieved something. I also feel so nice. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job, and as I am able to help customers like you who have paid good money to buy vehicles, I am absolutely delighted to do so. In the process, I also continuously learn, which helps me to do my job better every day!

So, thank you! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - want to see your 18 year old Zen. Next week? I'll call and come over. Is it the red car that stands in your compound?
Old 14th April 2015, 16:49   #3908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vistasp - thanks for your lovely words, coming from a customer, I feel that I have achieved something. I also feel so nice. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job, and as I am able to help customers like you who have paid good money to buy vehicles, I am absolutely delighted to do so. In the process, I also continuously learn, which helps me to do my job better every day!

So, thank you! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - want to see your 18 year old Zen. Next week? I'll call and come over. Is it the red car that stands in your compound?
Please tell me I've not seized a piston or broken some turbo bearing or some such nasty stuff sir. Its again got on to my mind and will not relax till you get back to me ......

Ya, same red car sir. Its my wife and kids school/tuition/mall/movies/city car. Though now that our elder son drives, she is most happy being a passenger. Though I suspect she's going to have to start driving again soon, because he now has his sights set on my Baleno which is kind of lying idle.

How about dinner at the club? Please try and get out of work early for a change. Would love to have a relaxed evening between motorheads.

Last edited by ebonho : 14th April 2015 at 16:59.
Old 14th April 2015, 17:17   #3909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please tell me I've not seized a piston or broken some turbo bearing or some such nasty stuff sir. Its again got on to my mind and will not relax till you get back to me ......

Ya, same red car sir. Its my wife and kids school/tuition/mall/movies/city car. Though now that our elder son drives, she is most happy being a passenger. Though I suspect she's going to have to start driving again soon, because he now has his sights set on my Baleno which is kind of lying idle.

How about dinner at the club? Please try and get out of work early for a change. Would love to have a relaxed evening between motorheads.
Dear Vistasp - that's the problem with us motorheads, we are motorheads! .

How about Dhansak at my place? Wifey's here and believe you me, she's an excellent cook. I'll call you late evening!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 14th April 2015, 23:58   #3910
BHPian

Another query for Mr Dhabar. I have a problem with the centering of the steering. The Storme pulls to the left. The same has been reported by others in this thread. I have had the vehicle aligned from 4 different places to rule out any alignment issues but the problem remaims unresolved. Is there any way of centering the steering assembly?
Old 15th April 2015, 10:24   #3911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Another query for Mr Dhabar. I have a problem with the centering of the steering. The Storme pulls to the left. The same has been reported by others in this thread. I have had the vehicle aligned from 4 different places to rule out any alignment issues but the problem remaims unresolved. Is there any way of centering the steering assembly?
Dear Neel - without doubting the capability of anybody (so don't jump on me), I exactly happen to know the reality in the tire shops out there! During the "so-called wheel alignment" process in the market which costs some 500 bucks or so, only toe is adjusted (if at all). Camber and Caster are not adjusted even in vehicles having provision to do so because it takes intent, knowledge, time and effort to do this, which is absent or lacking in today's way of working. If done properly and perfectly, I take minimum five hours to do one vehicle, no businessman will allow this. Also, the master calibration of the so-called "equipment" leaves much to be desired. Master calibration is like calibrating a micrometer or a vernier caliper, using a slip gage. The slip gage is the master at "00" tolerance, any zero error shown in the instrument needs to be taken to apply the correction factor. In 99% of the cases, I have never seen the master blocks to calibrate the wheel alignment equipment. When I ask, I expect and always get standard answers like "all this is imported" or "this is with the company"!

Anyways, all this jargon does not solve your problem. Please let me know all the four values of toe, camber and caster readings of your vehicle as you have obtained them, also send photographs of all the four tires taken from the front and back of the tread and some underfloor photographs. I will remote control your vehicle correction from here.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 17:28   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
I have had this problem from the day the vehicle was delivered. After the rack and pinion replacement its better, but I need to visit Madhus every 1000Km as the alignment goes off. Luckily the vehicle is on lease and I do not have to live with it for long.
Old 16th April 2015, 03:01   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Dabhar saar,

Question is why does the safari and surprisingly the storme loose the alignment in 2-3 months of city driving when a Honda or hyundai does not....

For the camber adjustment, you have to go to a TASS only, and the alignment shop will not do it.

I have given up on this, and am resigned to getting the alignment checked, idler arm, torsion bar torqued every 3-4 months. Sigh!

From day 1 of delivery, my 2.2 has had a misaligned steering wheel and more than necessary play in the steering which I attribute to the joint, but not confirmed by TASS. Other 2.2s I checked at the TASS were worse off...so decided to live with the known evil.
Old 16th April 2015, 07:58   #3914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Question is why does the safari and surprisingly the storme loose the alignment in 2-3 months of city driving ..

For the camber adjustment, you have to go to a TASS only, and the alignment shop will not do it.
Shouldn't be the case.

For alignment outside of TASS, have you checked with Madhu's (Double Road / Langford Road intersection) ? They do it. You can meet Mr Gopal there.
Old 16th April 2015, 08:20   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Neel - without doubting the capability of anybody (so don't jump on me), I exactly happen to know the reality in the tire shops out there! During the "so-called wheel alignment" process r
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Question is why does the safari and surprisingly the storme loose the alignment in 2-3 months of city driving when a Honda or hyundai does not....
Hi,

Without any intentions of putting one brand down and propagating another one or trying to trigger a war of brands, I want to know why a Safari is besieged with such issues and a competitor like Innova isn't?

I owned 2 Safaris from 2004 - 2012 and while they performed great overall, I never could sort out the alignment issues in either of them. Mind you, I always took them to the dealer for all and any repair or maintenance.

In comparison the Innova I own since 2012, has never had similar issues ever. Only today morning, I was on the highway to Delhi and I was awe struck and marveled at how straight it goes on the road when I leave the steering. And I must tell this is a 90k run Innova. The steering is centered and the car moves on a straight line like an arrow.

What is the root cause of this anomaly in Safari? A manufacturing defect? An inherent issue because of how the vehicle was designed? A part issue? But what?

PS: I am not ready to believe that this is not an issue. Some owners may not have experienced it, but I have on 2 successive cars and I know so many others who lament this issue.

Last edited by rrsteer : 16th April 2015 at 08:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks