Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 14:10   #3736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quick update:
30k on the clock last week, in a little less than 20 months. All's well.
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:32   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
something funny happened today. I took my truck to Concorde as the front right shocker was leaking. I was told that the leak is there but since it is not complete spillage, as per instructions from Tata motors they can't replace it. They told me to keep driving till the leak reaches a particular level (they couldn't tell me what this level was)) after which they will replace it. Is it right to keep driving on a leaking shocker despite having a Gold AMC?
I managed to take the beast to the TASS for the above problem I too am facing. They have ordered the part since it was not in stock. Should get a warranty replacement early next week.
Old 27th December 2014, 16:07   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to fit a panoramic sunroof on the safari?
I know it is not recommended on monocoque vehicles as the roof is also a stressed element, but in a frame on ladder vehicle like storme, would it be unsafe to have an after market sunroof?
Old 28th December 2014, 19:31   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to fit a panoramic sunroof on the safari?
I know it is not recommended on monocoque vehicles as the roof is also a stressed element, but in a frame on ladder vehicle like storme, would it be unsafe to have an after market sunroof?
Doesn't the Storme have a roof a/c unit, which may not allow fitment of a sun roof ?
Old 28th December 2014, 19:55   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Doesn't the Storme have a roof a/c unit, which may not allow fitment of a sun roof ?
The middle and top variants are equipped with roof mounted A/C units however the base LX variant does not.
Old 28th December 2014, 23:32   #3741
BHPian

Just completed a drive from Hasimara to Nagpur. Roads were " The good, The bad and the Ugly", but the Storme handled it all pretty well! Milage varying between 12.7 and 13.4 depending on the road conditions with RPM not going beyond 2500-2600 in any stage. With speeds touching over 100 at 2600, never felt the need of pushing beyond. Got a full cleaning and paint treatment done at the 3M workshop at Nagpur and they did a pretty nice job!

Coming to the roads, came via Siliguri, Khagaria, Begusarai, Patna, Ara, Sasaram, Mirzapur, Rewa, Jabalpur down to Nagpur. Other than roads to Kahagaria and beyond Rewa, roads were downright horrible, barring the GT road from Sasaram to Varanasi. Now I need to start back for Hasi on the 1st and so will be grateful if anybody can suggest an alternate route.
Old 29th December 2014, 08:12   #3742
Senior - BHPian

@maglev: you're right. The lx doesn't have a roof unit. But I wanted to know about structural integrity. Will it be safe enough? I'm talking about a large panoramic sun roof.
Old 29th December 2014, 08:23   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
With speeds touching over 100 at 2600, never felt the need of pushing beyond.
Pardon my ignorance! I thought the Safari can do 100 at 2000 rpm. I do not own a Storme, but a dicor. I have done 100 kmph at 2000 rpm on my Safari Dicor. May be you are pushing it harder.
Old 29th December 2014, 09:24   #3744
BHPian

Just completed a 2000 km round trip yesterday, traveling Kota > Jodhpur > Jaisalmer > Tanot > Ajmer > Back home. The trip was completed in 7 days with family luggage + shopping articles, and the Storme was loaded to its brim. But the SUV was too hungry for the slightly broken roads we encountered. Most of the highways in rajasthan are in good shape, and those connecting to Jaisalmer are just unforgettable. Driving mostly in 90 - 110 kph range with full load, it delivered 13.7 kmpl which isn't bad IMO.

Celebrating the completion of 10000 mark, I did some sand-drifting also in the awesome Thar desert (near Tanot, which is roughtly 10 kms from Indo-Pak border) until the vehicle got stuck (mine is an EX i.e. 2WD). Fortunately, the car came-out after half-an hour (after removing some sand around tyres) without the need of towing.

Interestingly, the car self-corrected the slight mismatch it had in the compression of rear suspension during the trip. Truely TATA.
ABS got activated quite a few times (while braking on sandy roads) and was fully effective, though a bit noisy.
Will post some of the pics from the trip soon.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 11:09   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Pardon my ignorance! I thought the Safari can do 100 at 2000 rpm. I do not own a Storme, but a dicor. I have done 100 kmph at 2000 rpm on my Safari Dicor. May be you are pushing it harder.
Well what do I say! You are well informed! In the roads from Mirzapur to Rewa, higher RPMs were required at lower gears!
Old 29th December 2014, 12:38   #3746
BHPian

Guys some bad news.
Car broke down a couple of days back. I called my service advisor as was near the service station. The problem identified was Fuel leak near the common rail.
The car had to be towed to the service station where they said that the common rail was leaking. As per the SA, he hasnt this happening without an accident even in safari, let aside a storme. This was scary. I was fortunate that the part was available in jaipur, otherwise the car would had gone for approx 10 days.
Can someone tell me how this could happen, as the TASS was also clueless.

Last edited by stormerider : 29th December 2014 at 12:56.
Old 29th December 2014, 21:24   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@maglev: you're right. The lx doesn't have a roof unit. But I wanted to know about structural integrity. Will it be safe enough? I'm talking about a large panoramic sun roof.

Almost all cars are equipped with beams running between each pillar. These help in providing structural rigidity without adding much weight. A large panoramic sunroof would involve cutting up of at least the B pillar beam if not the C pillar as well.

Speaking from personal experience I would strongly advise against it, things like sunroofs are better left factory - fit. The after-market even with brands like Webasto just don't cut it.

Attaching a picture of my brother's Accent with a Webasto sunroof, the installation involved cutting the beam connecting the B pillars. Initially everything seemed fine but after a couple of months the roof section used to make weird sounds which could not be fixed by Hyundai or Webasto, not only this in about year or so the sunroof started leaking as well.

If you still feel like it, why don't you install a smaller sunroof and avoid cutting any of the beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-accent-sep-2010.jpg  

Last edited by maglev : 29th December 2014 at 21:33.
Old 30th December 2014, 08:08   #3748
Senior - BHPian

@maglev: I don't have a safari. I'm just a big fan. Still cannot afford the truck.
Old 30th December 2014, 08:26   #3749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Car broke down a couple of days back. I called my service advisor as was near the service station. The problem identified was Fuel leak near the common rail.
The car had to be towed to the service station where they said that the common rail was leaking. As per the SA, he hasnt this happening without an accident even in safari, let aside a storme.
For a clear understanding if you don't mind can you post the picture of the "affected area" of the fuel rail where the leak was found and also post the picture of the defective part. This would help other owners and also give them the point to keep an eye on.

Guess the part was changed under warranty?!

Anurag.
Old 30th December 2014, 09:34   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For a clear understanding if you don't mind can you post the picture of the "affected area" of the fuel rail where the leak was found

Guess the part was changed under warranty?!

Anurag.
Here's the image. Yes it was changed under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20141230wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by stormerider : 30th December 2014 at 09:40.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks