Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 19:52   #3661
BHPian

Oh, guys. Never get to a situation where the low fuel led is lighting up and the Safari is parked on an upward incline. I have been through that nightmare and wouldnt mind carrying a jerry can despite having a full tank! hehe
Old 25th November 2014, 11:29   #3662
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What I have not yet figured out is whether the low fuel light comes on when the Storme is parked facing downwards or facing upwards .....
Doc, its a truck, dont you treat it like a Bajaj Scooter!

As already mentioned, it usually happens with low fuel and going up an incline or parked facing upwards.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 11:31   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Squeezing the pump releases the air lock.Went back in and cranked, everything was back to normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It happens when you are on incline, and there is only 10l or less fuel in tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Happened to me too while coming out of a Mall Parking, there was around 5-10 liters left when the car stalled on the incline and refused to start, had to put in extra diesel and then pump the air pump manually to start.
Hi Guys, very new to the Storme. Can you please elaborate as to where is the pump located. Hearing the feedback, I believe it's safe to know this in advance to avoid a similar situation.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:36   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Doc, its a truck, dont you treat it like a Bajaj Scooter!

As already mentioned, it usually happens with low fuel and going up an incline or parked facing upwards.
LOL good one bro! Visions of Hamara Bajaj tilt and kick here!

So a couple of serious questions on the issue:

1) If one is on tour in the mountains and one comes to low fuel/light blink at night just as one is going to unpack and move into the hotel, and one is tired and does not have energy or inclination to go to fuel pump at that hour and refuel, should one then as a precaution park the truck facing downwards?

2) What happens if again one is on tour in the mountains and one is climbing up a pass (a long one) and the truck comes into low fuel/light blink? Is the same thing going to happen with the truck running also, or does this only happen when its off and parked stationary for a period of time?

Mountain Safari experts like Tanveer please help!
Old 25th November 2014, 11:45   #3665
Senior - BHPian

^
Rohan - when you open the Bonnet - you see a small, heart ( not exactly a heart though ! ) shaped black colour rubber pump. That's the one. I'll try and see if I can post a picture on that later, but am sure once you open the bonnet, to your right of the engine, you wont miss it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 11:50   #3666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Hi Guys, very new to the Storme. Can you please elaborate as to where is the pump located. Hearing the feedback, I believe it's safe to know this in advance to avoid a similar situation.
See the pic in the review

Just behind the Varicor badging you see a bulb thing. That is the pump. You sqeeze it till it goes hard.

Quote:

1) If one is on tour in the mountains and one comes to low fuel/light blink at night just as one is going to unpack and move into the hotel, and one is tired and does not have energy or inclination to go to fuel pump at that hour and refuel, should one then as a precaution park the truck facing downwards?

2) What happens if again one is on tour in the mountains and one is climbing up a pass (a long one) and the truck comes into low fuel/light blink? Is the same thing going to happen with the truck running also, or does this only happen when its off and parked stationary for a period of time?

If you are low on fuel, and the vehicle is tilted there is a good chance of fuel starvation. The solution to this is not be low on fuel.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 16:22   #3667
AAD
BHPian

Quote:

Hi ebonho,

I have faced exactly the same situation way back on 1998 in my Tata Sumo while driving from Mussoorie to Dhanaulti, where I encountered a steep slope for a longish time, while I was running on my last 12 - 15 litres. My Sumo stuttered & almost stalled but fortunately by then I was crossed the steep slope and came on relatively level ground which allowed the fuel pump to get rid of Airlock.

Can be scary in Forest areas at night time, when for some reason one is low on fuel, despite one's best efforts & to face a situation like this.

No wonder we have some many roadside temples dedicated to safe driving
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 16:27   #3668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Hi ebonho,

I have faced exactly the same situation way back on 1998 in my Tata Sumo while driving from Mussoorie to Dhanaulti, where I encountered a steep slope for a longish time, while I was running on my last 12 - 15 litres. My Sumo stuttered & almost stalled but fortunately by then I was crossed the steep slope and came on relatively level ground which allowed the fuel pump to get rid of Airlock.

Can be scary in Forest areas at night time, when for some reason one is low on fuel, despite one's best efforts & to face a situation like this.

No wonder we have some many roadside temples dedicated to safe driving
Thanks for confirming.

So its a TATA issue or happens in other diesel vehicles as well?

What if you had not reached level ground? Would stopping (with handbrake, and gear in reverse, with steering full lock towards mountain wall, and jumping out and jamming stones behind the tyres) and pumping the rubber bulb have helped?

This is exactly what I wanted to know. And Tanveer's reply was not really helpful. I mean everyone knows the importance of fuel planning. But sometimes, stuff happens ......

What to do then is one of the ways we can help each other here with our experiences.

P.S. On the temple (and scary) bit, especially the ones on steep climbs and inside forests, I never fail to slow down and bow my head and say a prayer (never had the guts to stop). They say they have the spirits of all who have died on those slopes / stretches. Better to be safe than sorry .....

I get freaked by these stories man. The other day I was driving home from work, and on FM there was this new program where a guy in a very normal voice was recounting true life horror stories. This one was of a young husband and wife and small kid living in a 1 bhk in a Mumbai suburb .....

I swear I pulled down al the windows, looked into the back seat a couple of times, put some metal on full blast, and raced the remaining 5 odd kms home!

Last edited by ebonho : 25th November 2014 at 16:40.
Old 25th November 2014, 20:12   #3669
BHPian

Can someone quickly confirm if Gold AMC is dealer specific. I mean if i take from dealer A, do i need to go for service ONLY to that dealer?
Old 25th November 2014, 21:50   #3670
Distinguished - BHPian

No, it is not dealer specific. It is offered by TML
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 08:00   #3671
AAD
BHPian

Perhaps it's a design issue with the Fuel Tank in Tata Vehicles. I suspect, the design team has not really looked into this issue since the fuel is shifted away from the point where the fuel pump would draw it during steep inclines.

Perhaps they need to take lessons from world leading SUV's such as Land Rover Defender, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero etc. and understand how they tackle such situations.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:22   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Perhaps it's a design issue with the Fuel Tank in Tata Vehicles. I suspect, the design team has not really looked into this issue since the fuel is shifted away from the point where the fuel pump would draw it during steep inclines.

Perhaps they need to take lessons from world leading SUV's such as Land Rover Defender, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero etc. and understand how they tackle such situations.
Considering the fuel outflow would be for a single point at the bottom of the tank be it carb or EFI, this problem should be there in all vehicles right - bikes or cars? Unless there is some sort of reservoir with a one way valve (like a float bowl in our carbs) which is always charged and never goes dry?
Old 26th November 2014, 17:22   #3673
BHPian

Update:
Did my 30K service at approx 27800km. Replaced engine oil, both filters, clutch and brake oil and other routine service. Additionally, got a rub and polish done as well as an interior dry cleaning done.
No particular issues faced. All doors were adjusted. However, they said they have an circular for changing the rear door latch as well as hook, which they didn't have in stock. They are to call me for that again.
I am now planning to get the next service at 37500km and thereafter repeat service every 7500km. That way, I will continue on the track of the 15K roundup as per schedule, along with an extra service in between. Should help maintain the truck better, I suppose.
Old 26th November 2014, 17:34   #3674
Distinguished - BHPian

Why clutch change so early. I noticed the same in some other safari's on the forum.
Old 26th November 2014, 18:25   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Why clutch change so early. I noticed the same in some other safari's on the forum.
I suppose because he got FOC , in case of my dicor clutch is hard but since no chance of getting free its running for 70K , I intend to run it for another 30K or so unless there is a slippage.

Most Viewed