Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 16:27   #3646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Got my Storme serviced at the 1 year mark. Does anybody know as to how does the alignment figures given in the service manual e.g. 2 mm for toe translate to degrees as is commonly displayed in the alignment rigs?
neel : the toe shows up as mm going by my most recent alignment report taken outside TASS. initial readings were 2.4mm and 3.2mm and final readings were 0.5mm and 0.4mm
Old 21st November 2014, 17:15   #3647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Go over a rough patch with a passenger sitting in the middle row. Ask him/her to touch (lightly) and check the seat belt retractors, their covers (if any), the seat belt tongues (the male connector) and their clasps while you are driving. Probably one of these is the culprit.

Cheers,
Vikram
I do think this sound has started recently. And the only change made recently which I can recall is that I finally got the seat belts which were neatly tightly wound and with rubber bands lodged in those hollow depressions in the 3rd row, opened up and brought through the 2nd row seat back to the second row for the passengers there. I just want someone experienced (old Dicor owner preferably) to sit with me and hear it and tell me its not the tailgate. I am freaking out on that one! I can live with seat belt linked sounds. Or else, could it be one of the seats vibrating (loose foundation where its bolted to the floor)?
Old 21st November 2014, 23:47   #3648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I believe you are talking to dealership for AMC packages. Try getting in touch with local Tata representative for passenger vehicle. AMC packages are customizable as per your need. You can choose km and duration as per your liking. I have 4yr/1lac km gold AMC. But 4yr AMC comes with extended warranty only.
That's stopped now. I spoke to TMIL Chennai territory Sales manager.
Old 22nd November 2014, 00:20   #3649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
neel : the toe shows up as mm going by my most recent alignment report taken outside TASS. initial readings were 2.4mm and 3.2mm and final readings were 0.5mm and 0.4mm
But is that the correct reading to have since in the service manual, the ideal toe is given as 2 mm if I am not wrong. Trying to figure this out since I am having issues of outer tyre wear in both my front tyres. And the alignment report that I have only mentions degrees and no mm.
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:44   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Removed the Jopasu duster from the tailgate pocket today morning on the way to office. Stereo off, so I could identify the sound. I do not think its the tailgate. It more like a vibrating sound that typically comes at some low rpm frequencies only. Something is loose at the back. I think its more to the right. It like a rattling fiber sound more than a metallic one. I don't necessarily believe its from iside the cabin. One finger of suspicion I have is the underbody. Like one of the U clamps holding the right (?) side exhaust header pipe being loose/bolt falling off type? Any ideas guys? The sound is not imagined. Its definitely there. Its definitely new.
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:16   #3651
BHPian

Requesting anyone of the current Storme owners to send me the service schedule from their vehicle booklet. This will help me understand the approx. costs and decide on Gold AMC. Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2014, 15:50   #3652
Senior - BHPian

Was so irritated with the sound that drove down to the service station. The head door/panel expert (Mama) was summoned. We went for a test drive. Thankfully the sound obliged. Brought the truck back. Possible culprits identified were loose jump seats (the mounts on the frame), tailgate, and stepney.

In the silence of the workshop mama sat inside the 3rd row, all windows up, while the technician was instructed to start the truck race it and let off the acclerator at different rpms, and shut off the engine, while mama like a doctor with a stethoscope put his ears and hands everywhere possible. He found the tailgate to be perfect. In fact he commented its so good (knock on wood) that he warned me not to let anone touch it. The other 4 doors were also perfect.

He went around the car, under the car, banging on panels, climbed on the footboards and checked out the roof rails and top carrier as well. Evertything seemed ok. The exhaust ipes and everything in the underbody seemed ok. There was some vibration from the floor of the 3rd row. They readjusted the stepney and torqued it. Checked all the plastic panels, also opening the side slots where the diesel filler cap's manual rip cord is there (the wiring loom/couplers etc. is sometimes loose and knocks around there). Ok.

All seat bolts were tightened, including the middle and first row seats as well. The two pegs on which the middle row seats lock, insulation tape packing was applied (actually reapplied). The tailgate lower rubber padding was lightly greased. The beading was checked. Some sound was there but he suggested not to use the synthetic beading lube as it attracted and picked up a lot of dirt which rubbed against the paint and dulled and eroded it. He said he was giving me that tip personally though for most customers due to paucity of time they just aply the lube for temporary sound relief.

One of my video screens was also a bit loose. That too was tightened. The 3 lights inside the cabin when pressed make a bit of a plasticky sound as well. Checked on other Stormes. The same. He found that the plastic cladding surrounding the tailgate glass, the central top part was loose and had play. So he had two pieces of double sided tape applied on each side to pack it tight. He felt that the sound was probably from the jump seat mounts as well as that loose cladding (remember I described the sound as a rattling as well as a fiber type vibration? not bad!), the tailgate door and stepney being ruled out as likely causes. Also the middle row seats on the locking pegs had a bit of play that was now removed by the tape. He also discovered that the art leather of the jump seats when rubbed against itself with the seats folded up (because of the increased padding) made a rubbing sound with the vehicle's movements, so no solution to that other than to leave the seats down (but that in the case of the Dicors causes the jump seat back rests to vibrate/rattle per him - no escape! LOL).

We took a drive and thankfully the sound did not reappear, neither was the sound audible on my drive back. Crossing my fingers that its been solved!

Hope this description helps other Storme owners with noisy backsides!

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd November 2014 at 15:55.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:33   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You should treat yourself for OCD!

Jokes apart, excellent narration of a very conscientious and thorough piece of work by Mama. Very rare to find that these days in any field.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 10:52   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
You should treat yourself for OCD!
LOL yes Vikram, can't help it. Its the bawa genes flowing strong in my bloodstream.

TATA ASC polite speak - "saab aap gaadi ka bahut khayaal rakhte hain!"

Anyways, when my truck goes over khaddas, I prefer hearing a solid Germanic dhug dhug. Not a kabaadiwalla trrrrrr trrrrrrrr ......

Quote:
Jokes apart, excellent narration of a very conscientious and thorough piece of work by Mama. Very rare to find that these days in any field.

Cheers,
Vikram
Mama is the man!

So is Raju (electricals).

Not so much Anna (wheel alignment) - though in his favor, he tried manfully and heroically. Problem is it seems that the ground (foundation) under the National wheel alignment pit is soft and has settled on one side. Loads of cars and trucks with same issues even though the sensors say everything is A+ .....

Last edited by ebonho : 24th November 2014 at 10:53.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:08   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
Last night while driving back to home from office the engine check light came on and the engine lost all power, the truck wasnt accelerating and turbo wasnt kicking in......

The mechanic opened the fuel tank cap and a rush of air came out, some vaccum had been created probably and then he started the engine and squeezed a black color oval pump kind of thing that is located next to the injector. He told me that this will squeeze out any water / air block from it. Did that for 1 minute and upon restarting everything was fine.
Was your truck parked on an incline by any chance ? I have had this drama a couple of times (2010 VTT). The more recent one where the truck was parked on a steep incline and left for about 3-4 hrs. Was asked to squeeze the black pump till it became hard and impossible to pump further. Apparently when parked on inclines, there seem to develop a vacuum / air lock that prevents fuel from being pumped. Squeezing the pump releases the air lock.Went back in and cranked, everything was back to normal. My fuel indication was mid way thru half and empty.

Regards
Bugs
Old 24th November 2014, 15:10   #3656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Was your truck parked on an incline by any chance ? I have had this drama a couple of times (2010 VTT). The more recent one where the truck was parked on a steep incline and left for about 3-4 hrs. Was asked to squeeze the black pump till it became hard and impossible to pump further. Apparently when parked on inclines, there seem to develop a vacuum / air lock that prevents fuel from being pumped. Squeezing the pump releases the air lock.Went back in and cranked, everything was back to normal. My fuel indication was mid way thru half and empty.

Regards
Bugs
It happens when you are on incline, and there is only 10l or less fuel in tank.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:21   #3657
BHPian

Happened to me too while coming out of a Mall Parking, there was around 5-10 liters left when the car stalled on the incline and refused to start, had to put in extra diesel and then pump the air pump manually to start. Since then I always make it a point to refuel when the low fuel light glows.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:24   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Happened to me too while coming out of a Mall Parking, there was around 5-10 liters left when the car stalled on the incline and refused to start, had to put in extra diesel and then pump the air pump manually to start. Since then I always make it a point to refuel when the low fuel light glows.
I too have noticed that the Storme's fuel guage (and blinking yellow light) are VERY sensitive to the vehicle being parked on an incline even for as long as it takes to park in neutral, engage handbrake, get out, open a gate, get back in, disengage handbrake, engage hear, and drive in. What I have not yet figured out is whether the low fuel light comes on when the Storme is parked facing downwards or facing upwards .....
Old 24th November 2014, 15:50   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
I too have noticed that the Storme's fuel guage (and blinking yellow light) are VERY sensitive to the vehicle being parked on an incline even for as long as it takes to park in neutral, engage handbrake, get out, open a gate, get back in, disengage handbrake, engage hear, and drive in. What I have not yet figured out is whether the low fuel light comes on when the Storme is parked facing downwards or facing upwards .....
I have only seen this when the Safari is parked facing upwards or is moving up an incline.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 19:02   #3660

Mod note: Post EDITED, punctuation and language translation. Thanks

Quote:
Was so irritated with the sound that drove down to the service station.
========

@ebonho I see this as a mirror of me. I used be exactly the same with my storme, the slightest of noises & I would rush to the service centre & the denting guy here used to say the same about my car. Sir aapki gaadi me to koi aawaaz hi nahi hai <sir there is no noise in your car!>. Seemed like déjà vu reading your post ��

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th November 2014 at 21:48.

Most Viewed