Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2014, 23:27   #3286
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Thanks a lot ACM,

Just two more questions is the price right? And can one purchase the extended warranty at this stage?
I believe the Max price for this should be 8 L in Delhi. The facelift expected soon should further drop it.
Am not too sure but I believe extended warranty can now be bought any time before expiry of the original warranty. If it has expired then it may not be possible else possible.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:09   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I'm getting a used Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 (Sept 12) with 23k kms on the odometer for 9.15 lacs, I test drove the car and observed the following:

1. Steering wheel vibration at 110 kmph
2. Airbag light was continuously on
3. The leather on the gear knob had withered away and the black plastic was completely exposed
4. The leather on the steering looked worn but was still in one piece
5. The plastic casing/ housing covering the seat recline lever on the drive side was missing
6. Minor scratches on the body and a cracked rear bumper (driver side)

I'll be taking the car to a nearby TASS, to check for the the airbag light and steering vibration but is there anything else I should check / lookout for?

Suggestions / advice / input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
For average driving conditions, 23 k running is unlikely to wear-out the leather on the steering wheel or gear knob. Are you sure odo is not tampered-with?
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:26   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
For average driving conditions, 23 k running is unlikely to wear-out the leather on the steering wheel or gear knob. Are you sure odo is not tampered-with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I believe the Max price for this should be 8 L in Delhi. The facelift expected soon should further drop it.
Am not too sure but I believe extended warranty can now be bought any time before expiry of the original warranty. If it has expired then it may not be possible else possible.

Have renegotiated the price to 8.95 lacs

In all likelihood will be taking the car to TASS tomorrow (Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon; thats where the car has always been serviced).

In addition, I called up Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon. As per them extended warranty can be bought within 14 months or 40,000 kms whichever is earlier. Upon my insistence the SA told me that he would try to get one for me but will be needing TATA's approval for the same.

I also spoke to another person (service desk) to confirm the odometer reading. As per her the car came in January 2014 at 15k km for regular service and for some CAM and/or fuse related issue at 20k km in July 2014. I asked the lady to explain the CAM related issue but she couldn't, any pointers ??
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:01   #3289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also spoke to another person (service desk) to confirm the odometer reading. As per her the car came in January 2014 at 15k km for regular service and for some CAM and/or fuse related issue at 20k km in July 2014. I asked the lady to explain the CAM related issue but she couldn't, any pointers ??
Great that you've been given a proper service history by the ASC. That helps.

As for the CAM - if she is referring to the actual mechanical cam - often the camshaft - you MUST insist on more details. As an imperfect cam may set you back by quite a bit should the engine actually have issues related with it. Were you feeling any unusual noises / vibrations / humms from the engine when driving?

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd September 2014 at 19:03.
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:37   #3290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Great that you've been given a / vibrations / humms from the engine when driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
For average driving knob. Are you sure odo is not tampered-with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I believe the Max price for this should then it may not be possible else possible.

I did manage to take the car to TASS (Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon)

Mr. Madhav the Service Marketing Officer was a helpful guy and took me through the entire service history of the vehicle (1st service onwards)

They got 2-3 mechanics to inspect the car and the following was observed:
  1. Front left brake disc has developed lines on the inside and needs to be replaced. It looks perfect from the outside
  2. Both rear shock absorbers are leaking, the one on the left has a minor leak but the one on the right is leaking heavily
  3. Both rear tyres are completely worn-out on the inside, however they look pretty decent from the outside
  4. The fuel tank has a leak somewhere and was almost completely covered in a thick layer of diesel and dirt
  5. Front suspension seemed fine and they attribute the steering vibrations at 100 KMPH to incorrect wheel balancing and alignment
  6. The Airbag Light Issue could not be resolved using their OBD scanning apparatus. It would require removing and inspecting the airbags; as per TASS mechanics at the very least it could be a minor issue or a major one wherein they would be replacing the airbags. They would be calling the airbag vendor to check/inspect the issue

Observations made from the past service record:
  1. Odometer reading is genuine
  2. The car has come for a windshield replacement (the owner did not tell me about it)
  3. The CAM/Fuse issue was a fuse replacement

Last edited by maglev : 3rd September 2014 at 00:00.
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:11   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
1.Front left brake disc has developed lines on the inside and needs to be replaced. It looks perfect from the outside
2.Both rear shock absorbers are leaking, the one on the left has a minor leak but the one on the right is leaking heavily
3.Both rear tyres are completely worn-out on the inside, however they look pretty decent from the outside
4.The fuel tank has a leak somewhere
That indeed is a lot of work for 23000km car.

Shocks failing so fast is either due to rash driving on really bad terrain or poor quality of the TATA parts.
Brakes and the tank is acceptable, but the shocks failing so fast. Come on Tata where is your Quality control?
Quote:
wherein they would be replacing the airbags.
That is going to cost a lot, if your car has 2 airbags,expect above a lakh expenditure.

Quote:
2.The car has come for a windshield replacement (the owner did not tell me about it)
That means you can bargain further on the value of the car. I think you have a strong point, tell him to reduce it to 8 lacs.
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:15   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
  1. The car has come for a windshield replacement (the owner did not tell me about it)
Whats the reason for this replacement ? Broken meaning any accident ? Creates more doubt since you were not informed of this in prior by the owner !
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:14   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
I did manage to take the car to TASS (Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon)
[/list]
Hi maglev,
For a vehicle that has done only 23k Kms the conditions that you are reporting lead to only one conclusion: it seems to be highly abused car. This is based on what is visible. What about engine components, clutch, bearings,etc. that can't be checked in a visual inspection. Even if you take an extended maintenance contract the pain of frequent visits to the workshop may not be worth it. I would be very wary of this deal.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:40   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi maglev,
For a .................... the workshop may not be worth it. I would be very wary of this deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Whats the reason for this replacement ? Broken ....................in prior by the owner !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post

Shocks failing so fast is ................................ of the car. I think you have a strong point, tell him to reduce it to 8 lacs.

As per TASS the Airbag issue and the rear shock absorbers would be covered under warranty.

In addition, since the car has the Gold AMC the brake disc would be taken care of.

For the fuel tank, unless and until its a part failure, I'll have to pay for it.

The windshield was the only part replaced, as per TASS it wasn't an accident as nothing else was replaced.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd September 2014 at 11:07. Reason: Comment for windshield
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:55   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
I

Observations made from the past service record:
  1. Odometer reading is genuine
  2. The car has come for a windshield replacement (the owner did not tell me about it)
  3. The CAM/Fuse issue was a fuse replacement
I wouldn't just blindly trust the Service Record. This looks like a car which has run for over 50-60k and the intitial services have been done at the FNG and not TASS and then just to keep the service record intact the Car was taken every year to TASS after pushing the meter back.
Check for the initial services and the ODO reading then.
Check the ODO at 1st , 2nd,3rd ,4th service and the time interval between these.
Also the condition of Tyres, since the rear ones are gone, check for the year of Manufacture of front tyres.
I have driven my Safari for over 60K and the leather from the Gear Knob and the steering is starting to come off now. No-way can it come off a 23k driven car unless the driver used Iron claws.

I would stay far far away from it.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:09   #3296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post

Shocks failing so fast is either due to rash driving on really bad terrain or poor quality of the TATA parts.
Brakes and the tank is acceptable, but the shocks failing so fast. Come on Tata where is your Quality control?

That is going to cost a lot, if your car has 2 airbags,expect above a lakh expenditure.

That means you can bargain further on the value of the car. I think you have a strong point, tell him to reduce it to 8 lacs.
1. It seems premature to directly put the blame on the manufacturing / QC doesn't it?

2. Most of the issues will be covered under warranty. So the repair costs won't be too high per say.

That said, @maglev

The rear tires worn out on the inside = camber issue mostly. If those are really worn, 16" Bridgestone Duellers don't come too cheap. Couple that with leaky rear suspension, the car certainly has seen some abuse.

If I was in the market, I would really not buy it even for a low Rs. 8L. To me that is not really a small sum to play gamble with. Can't you wait & save a bit more & go for a new / better pre-owned one? Just my two cents...
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:11   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
As per TASS the Airbag issue and the rear shock absorbers would be covered under warranty.

In addition, since the car has the Gold AMC the brake disc would be taken care of.
Then its fantastic. Just double check on this.

Bargain for 8 lacs.

If it was available in Kerala for 8 lacs, I would still buy it.
Old 3rd September 2014, 13:40   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
And what was the outcome of your Tass visit yesterday?
Thanks Abhinav, nothing major found following was done -

1) front tyre balancing, alignment was fine.
2) Strangely turbo whistling was not noticed during the test drive, will keep check as earlier it was very evident.
3) Full check up done, with oils topped up
4) Air filter cleaned

Now drive is again pleasurable and Nitin attended me very well, good experience, so thanks again for speaking to him. Will try Roshan for next service and any other niggles if faced.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:21   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Whats the reason for this replacement ? Broken meaning any accident ? Creates more doubt since you were not informed of this in prior by the owner !
Sometime when you drive on highways small pebbles thrown from vehicles in front of car are one reason for windscreen glass break over a period of time.
mandyrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:10   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Sometime when you drive on highways small pebbles thrown from vehicles in front of car are one reason for windscreen glass break over a period of time.
That must be right. I got hit on the windscreen by such flying stones twice :(

Most Viewed