Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 20:34   #3211

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Raja,

Good to hear that they have made the parts available. Agreed that Gearbox issue in brand new vehicle is not expected at all !! Do share once repairs are over...

As I mentioned in my earlier post that the TASC 'miraculously' arranged for the parts, I took my Black Beauty (BB) yesterday to them and got the 'infamous' CRB replaced under warranty. By the way, I would like to share the awesome experience with the TASC - Delta Vehicle Support, Gurgaon yesterday. Although, this episode started on a bitter note, the ending was great and I guess that's the most important thing. Actually, the fault was at the dealer's end as they passed this vehicle in their PDI even though it had a CRB noise issue and when I took my vehicle to Delta for the 1st service (as its very near to my place), they could've simply washed their hands off and asked me to go to the dealer instead and they would be probably justified too. However, they took the responsibility as a TASC and went ahead to solve my problem. I found their team very confident and experienced too. The senior tech, Devender took my vehicle for an extensive TD and he immediately diagnosed the issue. Also, after changing the CRB, he again took my BB for a TD and said that there is a slight noise still (which even I failed to notice) and he took out the entire the drive shaft, checked it thoroughly and found that it had been misaligned (probably during assembly)
Anyway, after spending the entire day at the workshop, my BB was finally handed over to me around 7:00pm and the gearbox was absolutely silent. For me even if a product is not that great but, comes with a great after sales service, I'm a happy man! So, round 1 goes to Tata! Hope the service level is consistent!
Here are some pics from yesterday:

My BB waiting for the operation to begin:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-bb.jpg

The 'infamous' Clutch Release Bearing (CRB)
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-crb1.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-crb2.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-crb3.jpg

The defective CRB along with the clutch and pressure plate:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cp.jpg

The 'misaligned' drive shaft:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-shaft.jpg
rajasitlhou is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 06:17   #3212
BHPian

Guys
I have a question for you. During idling at signals or while parking, i normally switch off my headlights and just use the parking lights. Now in the Storme, the way i am positioned in the seat, makes me extend and reach out to the light switch to turn it off to parking mode.
I remember in my wagon R the light switches were on the steering column and therefore whatever position you sat on, it was easy to turn it off and on

Any short cuts available for the Storme to do this or are we at the mercy of stretching and switching off/on
Old 13th August 2014, 07:03   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Guys
I have a question for you. During idling at signals or while parking, i normally switch off my headlights and just use the parking lights. Now in the Storme, the way i am positioned in the seat, makes me extend and reach out to the light switch to turn it off to parking mode.
I remember in my wagon R the light switches were on the steering column and therefore whatever position you sat on, it was easy to turn it off and on

Any short cuts available for the Storme to do this or are we at the mercy of stretching and switching off/on
You can try lowering the seat height. The other alternative is to install a second switch in a more convenient location.
Old 13th August 2014, 07:16   #3214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rajasitlhou : .. after changing the CRB, he again took my BB for a TD and said that there is a slight noise still (which even I failed to notice) and he took out the entire the drive shaft, checked it thoroughly and found that it had been misaligned (probably during assembly)
Hats off to the team, like with the Devender.

Btw, is Delta using engine oil from Petronas ?

Quote:
subraiyr : Any short cuts available for the Storme to do this or are we at the mercy of stretching and switching off/on
One question - at traffic lights, do you continue to keep your hands / right hand on the steering wheel ? If yes, then what you say is correct - that you will have to reach out to the switch two times at each stop - to switch off & switch on.

But if you keep your hand on your lap / door etc, then it wont be such a problem. When you remove your hand from the steering wheel, you can first switch the light off & then place your hand at it's resting place.

On another note, do you leave your engine running at this time ? Because if the engine is switched off, then lights would also get switched off (except for the parking lights ? )

Quote:
himanshugoswami : its disconcerting to see issues coming up with increasing frequency in stormes.....
I hope you are not forgetting that as the number of vehicles increases & more people share, it is natural for some more issues to be reported.

It is not like - same set of people reporting more of the same set of problems - that would be increased frequency.
( Same set = same problem seen in the same vehicle or in other vehicles )

Last edited by condor : 13th August 2014 at 07:34.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 11:41   #3215
BHPian

Hi fellow team bhpian's, need some advise to tackle indifferent TASC. Somtimes experiences are good and some times it is like they just want to rush it off. I have tried different TASC in Jaipur during my less then a year ownership (completing a year on 15th Sep this year), Total run so far is around 16000 km. after 15k service facing few issues, have researched a bit and need your inputs /advise so when I am at TASC I can ask them to check specific areas:-

1) Mileage has gone down drastically - earlier I was getting 11 to 12, now less then 10. No change in driving style, using AC in eco mode.

2) The pickup has gone down, the kick we should get when >2k rpm is not there (i can notice the difference but TASC says its fine) - Should I ask to check EGR, Airfilter (Air filter recently changed during 15k service).

3) LHS rear wheel outer borders of tyres have more wear then RHS rear wheel tyre. rear shockers changed during 15K service). Also rear wheel wear is more then front wheel - What is to be checked ? - camber alignment, shocks & structs, arm bush, loose ball joint ?

4) I also get vibrations in steering wheel at speeds between 25-50 normally during 2nd to 3rd gear. This is not felt when at 60+ speed. this is persistent, last time after balancing /alignment it improved but was there.

other are few small problems but an irritant - noise from driver side door, bad odour /smell even when air circulation is off, hand brake not effective, rattling sound from windows.

Your advise will help me in asking TASC to look into specific areas.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:17   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post

1) Mileage has gone down drastically - earlier I was getting 11 to 12, now less then 10. No change in driving style, using AC in eco mode

4) I also get vibrations in steering wheel at speeds between 25-50 normally during 2nd to 3rd gear. This is not felt when at 60+ speed. this is persistent, last time after balancing /alignment it improved but was there.

Sunit
for pt 1 - Pls note that normally during running it, we drive at max speeds in the region of 60-70kmph and post run it speeds reach 100-120. Is the FE drop due to this ? have you thoroughly checked the driving style and it is exactly the same ?

for pt 4 - pls try swapping the front wheels to rear wheels and see if the problem persists. I used to get this problem in my Vista and members advised that this is due to the Goodyear tyres and I had to swap front to back. If the problem still persists, worth having the steering box inspected
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 13:39   #3217
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sunit
For Mileage - I have noticed that gentler with the Storme, acceleration is better. If I do even a little enthusiastic acceleration, then FE drops

For your tyre-wear & also for your FE - check air pressures independently. Also get alignment done at a good center.

Also try a different bunk

Please confirm if air filter was replaced during service. If not, get it done- or atleast get it cleaned

Last edited by condor : 13th August 2014 at 13:40.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:00   #3218
Senior - BHPian

My Storme was finally returned yesterday after 6 days in the workshop for replacement of left rear bumper and fog light assembly.

Total cost: 5000 bucks.

What came gratis in addition to doing without my vehicle for 6 days (including a weekend):

1) New replaced fog light not working.

2) Beading of cladding that had been uprooted is now loose and not tightly fitted between cladding and body as before

3) brand new scratches on tailgate glass left lower corner and adjoining body pillar

4) My vehicle was used as the entertainment center for the workshop workers during these 6 days because there was a new hindi movie CD in the CD screen player, and the remote was missing and finally located to the driver copassenger seat rear pocket. Both CD and remote being removed from what was a locked glove compartment.

Glad to have provided free entertainment for others while I fretted and fumed .....

Last edited by ebonho : 13th August 2014 at 15:02.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:13   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Which service centre mate? Was it concorde, National or Pandit?. Did you mark this on their service feedback form?

Unacceptable to say the least. From what I know the new tablets based service system will be connected to the central Tata server. It will be monitored for time taken, service done, feedback, etc. in a bid to improve on this kind of situation. They will also be expected to put pictures of parts and vehicle to avoid such unfortunate events.
Old 13th August 2014, 15:15   #3220
Senior - BHPian

National bro.

I am waiting to give them a stinker of a feedback - both written and follwup telephone call - this time.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 22:43   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
National bro.

I am waiting to give them a stinker of a feedback - both written and follwup telephone call - this time.
Its sad to know that the TATA ASS is hell bent upon ruining the reputation TMIL has been striving so hard to improve upon. What i have heard so far is that TMIL takes the service feedback quite seriously. You should make them take care of the scratch and any other irregularities and then fill out the feedback form. Spare the rod, spoil the child- fits so well for such TASS.
Is it just me imagining the worse but has there been a sudden spurt in problems being reported varying from mechanical issues to reckless TASS , which till a few months ago looked so much better, infactTASS seemed to have magically improved as per reports. I understand that the number of vehicles are also increasing but the average sale more or less remains the same. Plus the sales figure should not have a negative impact on the quality of after sales atleast.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:46   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Its sad to know that the TATA ASS is hell bent upon ruining the reputation TMIL has been striving so hard to improve upon. What i have heard so far is that TMIL takes the service feedback quite seriously. You should make them take care of the scratch and any other irregularities and then fill out the feedback form. Spare the rod, spoil the child- fits so well for such TASS.
Is it just me imagining the worse but has there been a sudden spurt in problems being reported varying from mechanical issues to reckless TASS , which till a few months ago looked so much better, infactTASS seemed to have magically improved as per reports. I understand that the number of vehicles are also increasing but the average sale more or less remains the same. Plus the sales figure should not have a negative impact on the quality of after sales atleast.
The scratches on the pillar will be repainted. The scratches on the glass will be glass buffed with a rotary pad - though they have cautioned that the scratches will not disappear completely.

Normally I woulld insist on replacement at TASS cost for the same as I did once in the past when they dropped the truck back with a big white scratch courtesy a cyclist who got too close when their driver was dropping the truck back. But in this case I would be force to live with a scratched tail glass fitted by the factory as against the lesser choice of the TASS fitting a new glass for me - and have it either fall off on a drive, or leak water ......

The damaged beading for the cladding will be procured separately and also replaced.

This time the replacement bumper panel came with black colored beading as aganst the yellowish white beading on the original cladding. Can someone with a new Storme confirm if they have changed the color of the beading from the factory?
Old 16th August 2014, 15:03   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
But in this case I would be force to live with a scratched tail glass fitted by the factory as against the lesser choice of the TASS fitting a new glass for me - and have it either fall off on a drive, or leak water ......

The damaged beading for the cladding will be procured separately and also replaced.

This time the replacement bumper panel came with black colored beading as aganst the yellowish white beading on the original cladding. Can someone with a new Storme confirm if they have changed the color of the beading from the factory?
Given the poor workmanship of these desi TASSs, your decision to live with factory-fitted glass is right. The black beading of bumper panel can't be standard on spares, as it just won't go with light colors. No doubt it's another result of careless attitude of your service centre.

Yesterday I completed a week-long trip totaling 1600+ kms and the truck remained composed and comfortable throughout the trip, which included several stretches of broken and flooded roads. However, the familiar door rattle (which I got rectified a month back) came back. Overall FE remained 13.2, which is not bad for the highway speeds (90-100 most of the time).
It was a good sight to see many stormes in G.Noida / Ghaziabad area, mostly in PW.
One day I noticed mist formation inside LHS headlamp, which disappeared after few hours. Is it an abnormality? And should I ask for replacement of HL assembly or tightening / sealing of any kind would help?
Old 16th August 2014, 19:36   #3224
BHPian

I finally got my storme back on 14th.

Apparently the ECU was remapped.

Drove to a factory in IMT Manesar without issues. A good 50 km drive.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Hope the ECU software is not like Windows <insert version you are most frustrated with>.
Old 17th August 2014, 22:34   #3225
BHPian

Just back from an epic drive: Bangalore - Shirdi - Bangalore. Drove around 2400 kms in total in 72 hours. The beast handled extremely well in all road conditions.

On the way to shirdi from Pune lost track, instead of Ahmednagar route took the Pune - Nashik highway. 200 kms of hell. I would rate bangalore traffic much better I blame google map for this.

On the way back wanted to bypass Pune city and again google map misguided me to some interior Daund route. Thank GOD after enquiring with some locals got to know its the worst route. Chucked the google map and opened the good old sygic India which though did not bypass pune but took me through Katraj highway.

Some interesting speeds I attained during the drive and the beast lived up to its expectations

Teaser pics for now:

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo.jpg

This was captured on the way back from Shirdi at Nagar - Pune bypass
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks