Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 14:52   #3196

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Raja,

Welcome to Storme !!! There are few issues however sheer pleasure of driving it when all is fixed can't be explained. You can try another ASC where part is available.

Hope you remember me from RBS...
Hey Sunit, great to see you here on this forum. I didn't know you were also a Tata fan. If I remember correctly, you also had a Honda City, right? Well, you are bang on as far as the driving pleasure is concerned and believe me this is not my first Tata. In fact, I don't know if you remember when we were still at Cybergreens during the ABN AMRO days, I had a 3.0 DICOR. So, I'm truly a 'Safarian'! Its just that one doesn't expect a problem that too in the gearbox from a brand new vehicle in 2014. Anyway, I guess "somebody" in TATA must be closely monitoring this thread as I just received a call from TaMo a few minutes back and it seems that they have somehow 'miraculously' managed to procure the parts and it will be replaced tomorrow. So, there still some hope for my independence day weekend trip plan!
Old 9th August 2014, 17:16   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
Hey Sunit, great to see you here on this forum. I didn't know you were also a Tata fan. If I remember correctly, you also had a Honda City, right? Well, you are bang on as far as the driving pleasure is concerned and believe me this is not my first Tata. In fact, I don't know if you remember when we were still at Cybergreens during the ABN AMRO days, I had a 3.0 DICOR. So, I'm truly a 'Safarian'! Its just that one doesn't expect a problem that too in the gearbox from a brand new vehicle in 2014. Anyway, I guess "somebody" in TATA must be closely monitoring this thread as I just received a call from TaMo a few minutes back and it seems that they have somehow 'miraculously' managed to procure the parts and it will be replaced tomorrow. So, there still some hope for my independence day weekend trip plan!
Hi Raja,

Good to hear that they have made the parts available. Agreed that Gearbox issue in brand new vehicle is not expected at all !! Do share once repairs are over...
sunit5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 18:39   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Over last couple of weeks got a few calls from the dealership where I bought the Storme. First one was for a quick complementary interior cleaning. They sent a boy to my office and he quickly ( 15mins ) cleaned up the seat fabric, dash and door panels alone. It was some sort of promotion I guess. Next call was for a free clock. Haven't got that yet. I asked if its a tiny one that I can fix in my Lx dash but apparently its a wall clock. Will post pics once I get it. Seems to be some crm activity from TML. Also this was apparently not just for Storme owners
Old 9th August 2014, 22:14   #3199
BHPian

Finally got to test the Storme extensively. I had made the web enquiry, twice the call center folks told that someone from Prerana would contact me. That never happened, so the third time when the call center person from TML called me, i asked him if he could get me an alternate dealer. He promised that he would do so and got the Concorde rep get in touch with me.

The rep Giffin (Giffen not sure exactly) is very friendly and helpful. One thing i liked about him is his promptness. He calls only at the right time (i told about my schedule)He came as promised today with a VX 4x2 (though i had asked for a 4x4) and was very courteous. He knows about the features of the car and explained each bit. He is a young chap and very good to deal with.

Took my family along with me, my 1.8 year son is very fond of big vehicles and calls everything that resembles SUV a Jeep. The moment we got in, my son demanded "appa jump" (he speaks a few words very clear). Well, he keeps seeing the safari ad and he wants to make the storme jump like how they do in the ad ! Well i cannot do that and the kid expresses his disappointment with a frown

I had some high expectations considering i graduated from a DI turbo safari to a 2.2 dicor and hoping i'd soon buy another SUV ! I am disappointed, i think its a wasted opportunity for Tata.

+ves

1) The safari still commands the best driving position. I feel so good driving a safari.
2) The ride quality is amazing, purposely took the car around agara, hsr layout - iblur road (these roads are good enough to check the ride quality - such pathetic roads in Bangalore!)
3) The space inside the car is fabulous with a very simple layout
4) Gear shifts are slick, slots perfectly and not the confused ones like in the earlier models
5) 4th gear and 40kmph, storme is composed and no drama of jerks etc. Without changing the gear, i slowly accelerate the storme and it pulls up the flyover very cool without dropping a beat. I just loved it. This is a good change since the older versions used to generate a grating sound with jerks and gasps if you drive at such low speeds on 3rd and 4th gears.
6) the low turning radius - Tata got a winner here with such low turning radius. Tested by parking at tight spots and taking a legal U turn in one shot. I mean with the older safari if I had to take a full right U turn, then like the bus guys i'd be going to extreme left before taking the turn or would have to move front and back

-ves

1) The same old problem of wheel alignment going bad ! Ride over the pot holes near Agara signal at about 10-15kmph the steering gets misaligned. From now on, to keep the car straight, i need to hold the steering slightly tilted to the right ! Leave the steering and car pulls violently to the left. Rep is embarassed and agrees that the alignment problem is still not fixed in the Storme.
2) Clutch is rock hard ! And i am not exaggerating. You really need some good leg muscles to depress the clutch. I am not expecting butter smooth clutch either ! The rep tells me this problem is specific to the test car and is not a common issue with Storme ! i am not believing.
3) No more music system, lcd screen or speakers given by Tata on the VX version. The rep said tata is giving discounts of upto 40k but that did not tally up in the final price list though. Its still Rs. 17.2 Lakhs on road for the VX 4x4 in Bangalore
4) The seats are shorter i guess, it does not give the same comfort as the 2.2 dicor seats.
5) They should stop marketing the storme as a 7 seater SUV. Either they can give a good recliner middle row seat, remove the third row or provide front facing 3rd row
6) Badly needs a 6th gear.
7) Door squeaks, seat rattles are still there.
8) The paint was peeling off near the door handles. My 2.2 dicor had the same problem.
9) can see possible rust spots near the top beading of the front windshield. I dont know why Tata cannot fix this problem for good.

Most of the negatives might have been discussed already but they just came to my mind as well.

I refuse to grow up, in spite of all the flaws i still like the Safari. I might wait till Diwali or 2015 (hoping there are some improvements) before taking the plunge and book the safari..

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 9th August 2014 at 22:17. Reason: Fixing the first line, fixed the grammar
sunishsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:09   #3200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
-ves

1) The same old problem of wheel alignment going bad ! Ride over the pot holes near Agara signal at about 10-15kmph the steering gets misaligned. From now on, to keep the car straight, i need to hold the steering slightly tilted to the right ! Leave the steering and car pulls violently to the left. Rep is embarassed and agrees that the alignment problem is still not fixed in the Storme.
Is it so easy to misalign a car's alignment? Or was something wrong with the car?

Because I have accidentally gone through potholes at good speeds (night time & glare from on coming traffic, limiting visibility) but nothing went wrong. In fact, at places, I have left other UV's, SUV's in dust while driving the Storme and those were horrible roads where buses used to scrape their rear overhang.

Doesn't the new suspension (the X2 platform) help in this regard? (Frequent misalignment)
Old 10th August 2014, 14:24   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-ves

1) The same old problem of wheel alignment going bad
2) Clutch is rock hard ! And i am not exaggerating.
3) No more music system, lcd screen or speakers given by Tata on the VX version. The rep said tata is giving discounts of upto 40k but that did not tally up in the final price list though. Its still Rs. 17.2 Lakhs on road for the VX 4x4 in Bangalore
4) The seats are shorter i guess, it does not give the same comfort as the 2.2 dicor seats.
8) The paint was peeling off near the door handles. My 2.2 dicor had the same problem.
9) can see possible rust spots near the top beading of the front windshield. I dont know why Tata cannot fix this problem for good.
My comments as a owner of a 1 year old ~ 20k run Storme

1.I've not had this problem merely going over bad roads
2. Clutch is still light by diesel car standards. In comparison my Vista clutch is truly rock hard
3. The stock system is very basic. So you can put in what you want. Also don't get shocked by on road prices in Bangalore because not all of that goes to Tata's pocket.
4. Not so bad actually. I find the seats very comfortable.
6.Correct. Could have helped FE in the highway and I would have liked cruise control also.
7. Door does squeak. Rear seats can rattle a bit. But can be fixed with simple insulation tape. But why TML can't fix it themselves truly baffles me.
8. And 9. Look like specific to the TD vehicle. Don't think any other owner has reported such issues

But if you are not in a hurry, makes sense to wait and see if there is a Storme refresh this year
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 14:42   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
-ves
2) Clutch is rock hard ! And i am not exaggerating. You really need some good leg muscles to depress the clutch. I am not expecting butter smooth clutch either ! The rep tells me this problem is specific to the test car and is not a common issue with Storme ! i am not believing.
5) They should stop marketing the storme as a 7 seater SUV. Either they can give a good recliner middle row seat, remove the third row or provide front facing 3rd row
1. Not faced so far in 3 months of ownership. Have driven at high speeds over bad roads
2. Clutch is hard, but not that much a problem. Maybe perception matters here.
3. Completely agree
4. My sense is that the seats are harder, i.e. less cushion than Dicor. Still best in class though.
5. Agree
6. Haven't been able to get to speeds to need a 6th - but yes, the 5th seems to reach its limit at 110-120
7. Yes - I already have a rear door that opens /closes according to its own whims
8. Not an issue so far
9. Not an issue so far
Old 11th August 2014, 14:34   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please PM me the contact details of someone senior within Tata Motors on the Service side who I can email?

I am totally pised off.

My Storme has now been lying at National for FIVE DAYS now! For a small thing like replacement of the left rear bumper (with painting) and fog light.

The first time they get the right side bumper instead of left side bumper. This AFTER they have already kept th truck for two whole days. And they inform me via an sms at the end of the working day that the vehicle cannot be returned to me.

Then they reorder the part, and again there is a a dlay of a day. The part finally arrives on Saturday. But too late to paint and give back to me. So Sunday also it stays at the workshop. No explanation given by anyone from National.

They apparently painted the part, after confirming it was the correct one this time, and today they were supposed to fit it.

Now I get a call saying that again they have goofed up. They bumper is of the VX model with a built in bracket and hole for the factory fitted reverse parking sensors - and that these would not match the ones fitted on my Storme EX as after market accessories.

No reply as to how this could happen AFTER they had already goofed up twice earlier, delayed and kept a customer's vehicle for 5 days (with the possibility of it taking at least 2 more days), confirming 2-3 times (body shop manager as well as customer relationship manager at National) that at least THIS time they got the corect part - and STILL managed to screw it up!

Now in frustration I called up the Tata Motors RSM (a new guy I was speaking to for the first time). I asked him for an explanation and how this could be acceptable? No reply. I asked him how he is going to redress this to me as a customer? No reply, except that he will try his best to get the correct art this time and the vehicle delivered to me.

Mind you - even from Tata - it is still a try our best. No guarantee, no remorse, no action taken.

VERY DISAPPOINTED TATA.

TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Last edited by ebonho : 11th August 2014 at 14:35.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:04   #3204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the Aria problem. However, its not as bad as that of the older safari. The solution is to alignment outside TASS. TASS guys usually do not have a clue on how to do alignment.

Quote:
Test car issue. They are abused a lot. With careful driving, the Safari clutch lasts 50-60000kms with ease. Does not get too hard too.

Quote:
This is a weird move. People criticized Tata for not giving a double din. So they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Quote:
You are right. Even I was disappointed. However, after driving many hundreds of kms, including 7 hour long drives during testing, I realized that these seats do not cause fatigue as I expected them to. It just takes a bit getting used to.

Quote:
Agree here. See the review too
Quote:
I think the taller 5th makes up for it somewhat. .Not a big deal
Quote:
This is what Tata needs to fix. After 6 years, my tailgate is a total rust hulk. I expected Tata to fix this on the storme, but i guess they did not.
Quote:
Most of the negatives might have been discussed already but they just came to my mind as well.

I refuse to grow up, in spite of all the flaws i still like the Safari. I might wait till Diwali or 2015 (hoping there are some improvements) before taking the plunge and book the safari..
Yes, that happens with the Safari. Inspite of the flaws, you always reach for the checkbook, and then add the workshop to your speed dial
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:33   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Over last couple of weeks got a few calls from the dealership where I bought the Storme. First one was for a quick complementary interior cleaning. They sent a boy to my office and he quickly ( 15mins ) cleaned up the seat fabric, dash and door panels alone. It was some sort of promotion I guess. Next call was for a free clock. Haven't got that yet. I asked if its a tiny one that I can fix in my Lx dash but apparently its a wall clock. Will post pics once I get it. Seems to be some crm activity from TML. Also this was apparently not just for Storme owners
Though not sure, this is more of a dealership good will gesture than TML? IMO the hospitality also varies from dealer workshop. For instance first service I did at Concorde and they gave me car shampoo, high quality microfiber cloth for glass cleaning and wiper cleaning solution after the service. Next service I did at Prerana and they gave me nothing after the service
Old 11th August 2014, 17:53   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Could someone please PM me the contact details of someone senior within Tata Motors on the Service side who I can email?[/u][/b]
A quick Google search using "linkedin tata motors customer care" threw up this gentleman's name: http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sree-raman/11/9b2/608

Maybe you could do a more refined search and find better matches, and then email him/her.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 20:01   #3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Could someone please PM me the contact details of someone senior within Tata Motors on the Service side who I can email?

I am totally pised off.

My Storme has now been lying at National for FIVE DAYS now! For a small thing like replacement of the left rear bumper (with painting) and fog light.

The first time they get the right side bumper instead of left side bumper. This AFTER they have already kept th truck for two whole days. And they inform me via an sms at the end of the working day that the vehicle cannot be returned to me.

Then they reorder the part, and again there is a a dlay of a day. The part finally arrives on Saturday. But too late to paint and give back to me. So Sunday also it stays at the workshop. No explanation given by anyone from National.

They apparently painted the part, after confirming it was the correct one this time, and today they were supposed to fit it.

Now I get a call saying that again they have goofed up. They bumper is of the VX model with a built in bracket and hole for the factory fitted reverse parking sensors - and that these would not match the ones fitted on my Storme EX as after market accessories.

No reply as to how this could happen AFTER they had already goofed up twice earlier, delayed and kept a customer's vehicle for 5 days (with the possibility of it taking at least 2 more days), confirming 2-3 times (body shop manager as well as customer relationship manager at National) that at least THIS time they got the corect part - and STILL managed to screw it up!

Now in frustration I called up the Tata Motors RSM (a new guy I was speaking to for the first time). I asked him for an explanation and how this could be acceptable? No reply. I asked him how he is going to redress this to me as a customer? No reply, except that he will try his best to get the correct art this time and the vehicle delivered to me.

Mind you - even from Tata - it is still a try our best. No guarantee, no remorse, no action taken.

VERY DISAPPOINTED TATA.

TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!
I was under the impression that you guys in Pune would have an advantage with regards to availability of spares but, I guess Tata doesn't discriminate their customers anywhere in the country I had been facing similar issues with the TASC over here in Gurgaon however, it has been solved today. Will post a detailed review here later.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:43   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
I was under the impression that you guys in Pune would have an advantage with regards to availability of spares but, I guess Tata doesn't discriminate their customers anywhere in the country I had been facing similar issues with the TASC over here in Gurgaon however, it has been solved today. Will post a detailed review here later.
Please note that here the issue was not of a part being unavailable.

It was plain and simple

1) Incompetence

2) Negligence

3) Lack of attention to detail

4) Careless indifferent attitude

5) Mule (khacchar) like attitude - i.e. will move and perform only when whipped
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:58   #3209
BHPian

TASC really screws your head in.

I gave the car to Aristo motors Gurgaon on Saturday, 9th August morning (~10 AM). Issue: engine problem indicator coming on and engine losing pickup. As this was happening only when I was racing on the fifth gear or climbing up a scope, I thought it was a turbo issue.

I liked the floor manager there, a guy called Prashanth. I was apprehensive if the problem would come up during the test drive. But it did. So they needed to connect the laptop to the ECU, but as 2 other cars were there with engine problem I was on queue. I waited for an hour, after that I had to leave and I was told that they would inform me. So at 5 I call to learn that staff had left early for Raksha Bandhan.

Sunday I am told that there is staff shortage and they would do the engine diagnostics on Monday. Monday I had the following surreal conversation with whoever I was connected to:

Me: "Mere gari mein laptop lagaya aaj?"
Ans: "Ha saar"
M: "To error code kya aa raha hai? Problem kya hain?"
A: "Sir pickup nahi le raha hain.."
M: "Wo to mujhe pehle hi pata tha. Usi liye to gari diya garage mein. Lekin uska vaja kya hain?"
A: "Wo malum nahin"
M: "To apne diagnostics nahi kiya? laptop nahi lagaya?"
A: "Nahi sir lagaya"
M: "Fir error code kya hai?"
A: "Pickup nahi hain.."
M: (about to tear my head) "Agar apne laptop lagake diagnostics run kiya to ek error code ayega na..."
A: "Nahi aya"
M: "Fir diagnostics aapne nahi run kiya. Kya aapko malum nahin? Kisi aur ne kiya tha?"
A: "Nahi, main hi kiya"
M: "Fir aapko error code kaise pata nahin? Diagnostics complete hone se to error code zaroor milega"
A: (after a minute, hesitantly) "Haan, Aapka diagnostics complete nahi hua..."

Phone disconnected.. I cannot muster the courage to call again..

Today I got a little delayed and couldn't call. But no call / sms from them.
Will resume calling tomorrow.

BTW the rear door issue resurfaced during the test drive.
chinkara is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 20:15   #3210
Senior - BHPian

its disconcerting to see issues coming up with increasing frequency in stormes.....this was supposed to be a niggle free product from TML. I hope i dont regret my purchase!

Most Viewed