Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 21:29   #3151
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Back from Kodaikanal trip couple of days back and the beast handled well. I was amazed with the way the storme handled on steep and narrow ghats leading to kodaikanal. Superb cornering and effortless maneuvering. Around 1500 kms munched in just less than 72 hours with total of almost 4000 kms on ODO in 3 months of purchase, due for 2nd service next week

Some pics i captured during my kodaikanal trip (Me and my storme getting intimate on the hills ). This was captured inside the resort we stayed in Kodaikanal

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-1.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-2.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-3.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-5.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-6.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-8.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-9.jpg
lazybrain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 22:22   #3152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Sasi,

did you get this checked as I am also facing same issue after 15K service and my KM are also aroung 16k.

One more issue i noticed is that right side rear tyre wear on outer side is little more then other tyres... I just got the rear shockers changed under warrnty at 15K service, is that causing this issue?
No, I haven't got it checked. I'll probably get it checks at 22.5K, when I also plan to get a preventive maintenance oil change done. Right now I'm at 17600 odd km and 22.5 should come up in under 2 months. My mileage is back up from the 11.5s prior to the 15k service to 12.5-12.75, which is what I've been getting consistently earlier. So, I guess I'll wait.

Regarding tyres, I've not faced any uneven wear till now even though I run an average of about 90-100km a day. I will be rotating them as well, at 22.5K.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 23:55   #3153
BHPian

I sent my car for a preventive engine oil check today at 19500 Kms. The 15K service for me was done at 12.5K in February this year so basically in the last 5 months it has run around 7000 Kms. The guys there told me to just go for a general check up and there is no need to change the engine oil before 15K Kms, this despite me insisting a change. Any comments on this?
Old 2nd August 2014, 06:06   #3154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The 15K service for me was done at 12.5K in February this year
@Storme'd - if the oil was last changed at 12.5k, your next scheduled change would be at 27.5k. Anything beyond 28k could invite wty issues ..
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:14   #3155
BHPian

Thanks Condor. I will ensure I get it changed at 28K Kms. They fill a 15W40 if I am not wrong; is this good enough to last 15K Kms?
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:32   #3156
Senior - BHPian

All Storme owners,( especially who have had some hands-on with the DiCor Safari also ) Can we safely say that Storme is holding up better than the Dicor Safari after say 25-30k Kms? Rattle-free, parts-failure free, suspensions...etc.
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:05   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
All Storme owners,( especially who have had some hands-on with the DiCor Safari also ) Can we safely say that Storme is holding up better than the Dicor Safari after say 25-30k Kms? Rattle-free, parts-failure free, suspensions...etc.
Obviously yes. I own the older version and my partner has a storme. Mechanically storme is way ahead than old version and also other Suvs in same price bracket.

There are no issues at all in his storme. But luckily i too have zero issues in my safari dicor which is from the latest mature batch
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:45   #3158
BHPian

Quote:

You have Strome EX Urban Bronze (12000 km on clock) a call away for TD. Try it yourself and then believe.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:49   #3159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
They fill a 15W40 if I am not wrong; is this good enough to last 15K Kms?
Stock oil is fine. Just make sure you dont cross the 15k interval at any time .. 500-1000km before is also fine.

Quote:
All Storme owners //Can we safely say that Storme is holding up better than the Dicor Safari after say 25-30k Kms? Rattle-free, parts-failure free, suspensions...etc.
I havent driven the Dicor. I can speak for my Storme. After 21.5k, I am happy.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:38   #3160
BHPian

Any updates on when the refreshed model with updated engine due? I am planning to book and take delivery of a EX around Diwali (Dhanteras to be exact).
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:34   #3161
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. My brother had the 3.0l dicor which we sold at around 1.25 lac kms. I have storme run close to 47 now, it is far better in every sense. Few rattles are there, suspension is a lot better. Parts failure- hardly any.

Though my turbo is getting changed under warranty as it was producing a very loud whistle post the Ladakh trip. Though there was no loss in power delivery or pickup. But the Tass after checking, ordered the turbo under warranty.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:12   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Though my turbo is getting changed under warranty as it was producing a very loud whistle post the Ladakh trip. Though there was no loss in power delivery or pickup. But the Tass after checking, ordered the turbo under warranty.
Loud whistle after laddakh trip? Strange. Was this noticeable during driving or TASS identified this issue during general check / service? Did you investigate what type of failure (or manufacturing defect) your turbo had? If i'm correct, you are the first person on TBhp to report the problem with turbocharger of Storme.
Well, its good you're getting a replacement under warranty from TATA.
But you must find out exactly what went wrong for the benefit of all. IMO the Turbos are not sensitive to dusty / mountain driving conditions as such.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:19   #3163
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Loud whistle after laddakh trip? Strange. Was this noticeable during driving or TASS identified this issue during general check / service? Did you investigate what type of failure (or manufacturing defect) your turbo had? If i'm correct, you are the first person on TBhp to report the problem with turbocharger of Storme.

Well, its good you're getting a replacement under warranty from TATA.

But you must find out exactly what went wrong for the benefit of all. IMO the Turbos are not sensitive to dusty / mountain driving conditions as such.

The whistle was loud enough to be heard inside the cabin with rolled up windows. It was typically associated with turbo spooling (starting around 1600 and dying around 2200 revs). This started during our trip only, After we had done lot of dusty off roading, magnetic hill, batalik, zojila and chulshul, and ended up with a choked air filter which we ourselves opened and cleaned at a remote area. Thereafter we got it replaced in leh, at a local shop as there is no Tass for passenger vehicles.

On my return I got it checked but, the SA told me that he would do a thorough check when I get the 45k kms service which was just around the corner. Since there was no faulty hose or any other thing, he promptly ordered the turbo under warranty.
I have been told the turbo has arrived and I will be getting it replaced this week, so will check at that time.
He also told me they had replaced on 1 other storme also with similar problem.

OT: the sound is similar to a Boeing taking off!

Last edited by stormerider : 4th August 2014 at 13:22.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:47   #3164

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulkamboj View Post
Hi Sasi,

They found a faulty clutch bearing and lubrication issues. The same was done and now there is no more of the irritating noise.

Also the following issues were rectified
1. Was experiencing slow pick up. There was an error with the EGR - rectified
2. Sound in slow speeds from the RHS tyre - sorted
3. Outside smell - still .there
4. AC not effective - not tested as yet as it has become cold again

Will be going to Agra tomorrow and hopefully get to know of any pending issues.
Hi Vipul, where did you take your vehicle for service? Delta? I think my vehicle is having the same issue with the clutch bearing noise.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:05   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
The whistle was loud enough to be heard inside the cabin with rolled up windows. It was typically associated with turbo spooling (starting around 1600 and dying around 2200 revs). This started during our trip only, After we had done lot of dusty off roading, magnetic hill, batalik, zojila and chulshul, and ended up with a choked air filter which we ourselves opened and cleaned at a remote area. Thereafter we got it replaced in leh, at a local shop as there is no Tass for passenger vehicles.

On my return I got it checked but, the SA told me that he would do a thorough check when I get the 45k kms service which was just around the corner. Since there was no faulty hose or any other thing, he promptly ordered the turbo under warranty.
I have been told the turbo has arrived and I will be getting it replaced this week, so will check at that time.
He also told me they had replaced on 1 other storme also with similar problem.

OT: the sound is similar to a Boeing taking off!
Hi,

I also get similar noise even inside my cabin, earlier it was not noticeable inside cabin with windows rolled up but now I can hear...true it looks like boeing taking off... Last time I got this checked, SA said it is fine and with other vehicles too.

Seems, I need to visit you sometime so, you can drive mine and give me right prespective, of course if you have some time.

Are you planning to post your Ladakh trip photos.. I am waiting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks