Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 13:19   #3061
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

My Storme is due for second service now, with following issues existing:
1) Rattling of FL door glass when half-closed.
2) Rattling of RL and boot door.
3) RHS tweeter not working.
As it is heard that design of U-bolts has been modified in 2014 make stormes, should I insist on replacement of these (or let them do usual tightening / greasing)? FYI mine is a Dec 2013 model. Also need guidance regarding door glass rattling problem.
Old 19th July 2014, 15:33   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Used my Gold AMC for the first time today and got the rear wiper blade replaced. It had started tearing at both ends.

While washing my Beastie recently also discovered that the left side ORVM glass has developed faint whitish small bubbles behind the glass (like what sometimes happens to cheap mirrors when the reflective coating behind the glass starts going bad).

They had only a Dicor mirror assembly in spares. While they look identiical, the sockets are different to the Storme's. So an order has been placed for the Storme mirror assembly - which comes in dull black and would need to be painted.

I think this policy of Tata replacing the whole assembly and not just the glass is highly wasteful imho. Don't undrstand why only the glass canot be changed (I've changed them on my Baleno twice without changing the outside housing or motor mechanism).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 15:22   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think this policy of Tata replacing the whole assembly and not just the glass is highly wasteful imho. Don't undrstand why only the glass canot be changed (I've changed them on my Baleno twice without changing the outside housing or motor mechanism).
At least in my case i had similar experience with Maruti as well. Couple of times RVM glass got cracked for my previous car Wagon R and MASS guys had replaced the entire assembly. Same with even tail lights when someone rear ended my car. they replaced the entire assembly and did not give me an option to replace just the outer glass (Red color) for tail lights, when the fact that only the outer red glass was cracked and the tail light was 100% functional!
Old 21st July 2014, 03:43   #3064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Same with even tail lights when someone rear ended my car. they replaced the entire assembly and did not give me an option to replace just the outer glass (Red color) for tail lights, when the fact that only the outer red glass was cracked and the tail light was 100% functional!
But can only the outer red colored glass be replaced even from an outside workshop/spare parts store? 2 of my cars also had only the outer red glass broken problem and all the garages I went to adviced to change the whole tail light assembly because according to them only the red color glass is not available anywhere for a specific car, so it is necessary to buy the entire assembly.
Any info on availability of just the outer glass pieces would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21st July 2014, 05:06   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
But can only the outer red colored glass be replaced even from an outside workshop/spare parts store? 2 of my cars also had only the outer red glass broken problem and all the garages I went to adviced to change the whole tail light assembly because according to them only the red color glass is not available anywhere for a specific car, so it is necessary to buy the entire assembly.
Any info on availability of just the outer glass pieces would be greatly appreciated.
My dzire had been rear ended sometime back and MASS suggested going in for a complete assembly. Thankfully i am into the automobile spare (ORVM) manufacturing and all it took me was a call to one of my dealers in kashmere gate in delhi, he provided me the tail light glass only. But the problem arose when i was trying to glue it as the remains of the previous tail light glass were almost impossible to remove. Probably thats why they are reluctant to provide the glass and the fitment was not spot on. Anyways, i had to buy a complete tail lamp assembly, though i bought it from him which costed me half of what MASS had asked for. And yes, it was original MGP with a perfect fitting and reflectors.
Old 21st July 2014, 11:41   #3066
Senior - BHPian

The glass stuck onto the reflectors of what are essentially sealed beams (or sold as such units) is a different issue.

In the case of the ORVM glass, it fits ono the internal motorized baseplate with the help of slots. I cannot understand wh they cannot simply take the defective glass out and replace it instead of replacing the whoe unit.

In my case its unde Warranty so I'm cool - just that they would need to paint (and color match) the new replacement unit which comes in standard dull matte black.

But for those of us who lose a glass because of damage, it is really stupidly expensive to have to purchase the whole unit instead of just the glass.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:22   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
The glass stuck onto the reflectors of what are essentially sealed beams (or sold as such units) is a different issue.

In the case of the ORVM glass, it fits ono the internal motorized baseplate with the help of slots. I cannot understand wh they cannot simply take the defective glass out and replace it instead of replacing the whoe unit.

In my case its unde Warranty so I'm cool - just that they would need to paint (and color match) the new replacement unit which comes in standard dull matte black.

But for those of us who lose a glass because of damage, it is really stupidly expensive to have to purchase the whole unit instead of just the glass.

How is the glass under warranty?
Old 21st July 2014, 12:26   #3068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
How is the glass under warranty?
Because its not damage.

Its a defect where the reflective coating behind the glass is degrading and causing the appearance of small whitish spots/bubbles.

Same way the right headlight assembly was changed under warranty in the early days because there was condensation and water droplet formation.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st July 2014 at 12:31.
Old 21st July 2014, 15:50   #3069
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Because its not damage.

Its a defect where the reflective coating behind the glass is degrading and causing the appearance of small whitish spots/bubbles.

Same way the right headlight assembly was changed under warranty in the early days because there was condensation and water droplet formation.

Thanks for the clarification.

On another note, I just noticed That my head lamp has developed some sort of haze in front of the projector. This has happened to both the lamps. I have seen other expensive cars and they too have similar problems. Can't they improve the quality of materials used to ensure this doesn't happen?

Last edited by storme'd : 21st July 2014 at 15:52.
Old 21st July 2014, 15:57   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome.

Quote:
On another note, I just noticed That my head lamp has developed some sort of haze in front of the projector. This has happened to both the lamps. I have seen other expensive cars and they too have similar problems. Can't they improve the quality of materials used to ensure this doesn't happen?
They could change to glass instead of plastic. I always found the beam light quality from glass lenses with smooth reflector sealed beams (Bullets, Ambassadors) better than the clear lens faceted reflector new age sealed beams.
Old 21st July 2014, 18:09   #3071
BHPian

Quote:

Being into the ORVM industry, let me tell you that they can easily provide the customer with just the inside glass or sub mirror which costs not more than 10 percent of the complete assembly. Infact some OEM suppliers are already supplying the sub mirrors in the open market. The reason why authorised service centres don't do that is simple. They want to milk the customers as much as they can. They know that most of the times, its just the inside glass that gets broken or stolen but they dont believe in the good ol "dont fix what aint broken"
Old 21st July 2014, 19:42   #3072
BHPian

Tata Storme or Honda City

I am currently using SX4 ZXi since December 2010. Love the car. But it had developed some engine problem maybe due to CNG fitment and I am looking for a replacement.

My monthly running is 1500kms with 50% of it on the highway (3-4 highway runs a month). We also do a road trip once in a while, have done Saurashtra and Kutch in SX4, besides some small nearby trips.

Hence now I am looking for a diesel car. I have already booked the Honda City Diesel VMT, but there is a delay in getting this. In the meanwhile I was thinking if maybe Storme is more suitable. I have 2 kids and sometimes we travel early morning and they sleep in the back seat. So I need them to be comfortable.

My friend is a two times Safari user and vouches for the car.
Can Storme users comment on following :
1) How is the car to drive on highway and in city, compared to a sedan?
2) Is the acceleration good, given the weight?
3) Is it niggle free or has relative unirritating niggles.
4) How is the clutch? Is it too hard over a period of time? Sometimes in stop and go traffic, I get left leg pain even in the SX4, so how about the Storme?
5) How is the NVH, this is important since we are used to a silent car now. I know the Honda City is also not too good but it didn't feel too bad in the test drive.
6) Is there place to rest the left foot?
7) How is the fuel efficiency?
8) Is it better than old Safari?

We have used number of TATA cars over the years, never been completely satisfied with the quality. Currently own a Nano also which is good for the price but just about that. The Storme costs a lot and I hope it is better. Don't want to go for XUV as my dad wants nothing to do with Mahindra. That said, he is also against TATA but I may be able to convince him.

I have TDd the Duster last year and found it too large/wide and clutch too hard so ruling it out. The Ertiga is a good all-round car but I did not find it very spacious, it's cramped, not as good as SX4. I have checked out the EcoSport, superb to drive but boot space was absolute deal breaker for me. I am not interested in Innova, find it too bulky for city use and engine is not powerful.

The Storme will be stretching my budget, since I want with airbag, but maybe a SUV is more suitable for my use.

I look forward to some advice from current users and those who have driven these cars.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:55   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
We have used number of TATA cars over the years, never been completely satisfied with the quality. Currently own a Nano also which is good for the price but just about that. The Storme costs a lot and I hope it is better. Don't want to go for XUV as my dad wants nothing to do with Mahindra. That said, he is also against TATA but I may be able to convince him.

I have TDd the Duster last year and found it too large/wide and clutch too hard so ruling it out
. The Ertiga is a good all-round car but I did not find it very spacious, it's cramped, not as good as SX4. I have checked out the EcoSport, superb to drive but boot space was absolute deal breaker for me. I am not interested in Innova, find it too bulky for city use and engine is not powerful.

The Storme will be stretching my budget, since I want with airbag, but maybe a SUV is more suitable for my use.

I look forward to some advice from current users and those who have driven these cars.
Since you find duster large and wide and other observations highlighted it looks to me you are not a Diesel SUV guy so may be you should stick to Honda City itself.

1. If you sticker for interior refinements don't buy it is refined but unlikely to satisfy cravings for being the finest.

2. If you don't like big bulky vehicles don't buy it is bigger and wider then duster. Duster is almost a Logan on 16 inch stilt so it is actually a car. To me Duster felt more like driving a Wagon R rather then SUV. I doubt if storme will satisfy you on this point.

However do take a test drive go on open highway or a rough rural road and tap the accelerator check if that blows out your mind and force you to overlook everything else then yes go for Safari Storme.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st July 2014 at 19:56.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 20:03   #3074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Since you find duster large and wide and other observations highlighted it looks to me you are not a Diesel SUV guy so may be you should stick to Honda City itself.

1. If you sticker for interior refinements don't buy it is refined but unlikely to satisfy cravings for being the finest.

2. If you don't like big bulky vehicles don't buy it is bigger and wider then duster. Duster is almost a Logan on 16 inch stilt so it is actually a car. To me Duster felt more like driving a Wagon R rather then SUV. I doubt if storme will satisfy you on this point.

However do take a test drive go on open highway or a rough rural road and tap the accelerator check if that blows out your mind and force you to overlook everything else then yes go for Safari Storme.
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe the Duster's shape put me off as it "protrudes" out. Can you comment on the clutch and NVH. The TD vehicle may not give a good idea of production vehicle and over the years feel of these.
Old 21st July 2014, 20:17   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe the Duster's shape put me off as it "protrudes" out. Can you comment on the clutch and NVH. The TD vehicle may not give a good idea of production vehicle and over the years feel of these.
Basically what I was trying to point in my previous post that you are comparing two different class of vehicles and comparison can not be meaningful.

As a rule of thumb Diesel vehicles have harder clutch then petrol. Clutch of Storme is way softer then Safari VTT Dicor ( I own VTT Dicor not storme) but still it is no where soft like Honda Amaze petrol which we have.

But then storme / Safari has 320 NM of torque and you don't use clutch like petrol cars , In traffic just put it in low gear and leave it to crawl.

About NVH it is a Diesel truck with good sound insulation but you need to keep in mind what is there on the other side of insulation.

While driving it depends on what kind of noises rattle your mind more, Engine growl or khad / thud / clung kind of noises which suspension of cars makes on our roads.

Basically to a Safari lovers like me, Honda cars ( all segments from Amaze to Civic which I have driven) feel like tin cans and driving on road is kind of un-nerving experience.

Specially in case of Amaze as it is daily drive for my wife and any little damage will cost me a lot in terms of mental peace so all the khads / thuds and body vibrations on each hump and pothole on road robs away my mental peace and my mind gets stuck there. In case of safari the constant engine growl is kind of reassuring and there are no un-nerving sudden noises as the roughness of road is eaten up by the vehicle.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st July 2014 at 20:21.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed