Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:13   #2896
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Its 1K sir, not 10K. If it was 10K, that would mean about 1.5K km per day! Wonder where he would be driving that much; even daily 10 times up and down on GGN Faridabad Rd will not get him those figures... hehehe!
Another observation regarding AC etc. I usually run it on 'blue' for the first 10-15 minutes till the cabin cools down and then switch it to 'green'. In the event of the vehicle standing in the sun for a long time, I suggest switching the rear ac also on initially to get the cabin cool fast, even if there's no one at the back. So, if you run the blue (and rear ac if its very hot) for the first 15 minutes, you can move to green mode fairly quickly, thereby improving your FE.
hehe..thanks for clarifying on my behalf, daily office drive including errands, market run make it 85 km per day and then being a new car, everyone wants to go everywhere in it, throw in a few long rides for friends 1000km is not that difficult.
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:54   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Thanks bro. I usually drive my cars for a maximum of 5 years and i would feel happy if they do not lose much value in the run. Having said that, i would accept that Storme is one machine thats making me defy all logics and reasoning and i have kinda finalised the beast. Would u mind telling me how good is it if im driving it for about 50 kms per day in delhi ncr traffic conditions with only 30 percent of it on open roads..would the clutch or size be a problem,especially considering the fact that few vehicles like duster and even the old safari clutch used to get so hard with time that one could contemplate a knee replacement along with the clutch assembly too.
I have been driving a Storme in Delhi traffic since January and I must say that it's not at all hard in the conditions that we have here. A part of my daily drive is on the congested Mathura Rd from Badarpur border till Maharani Bagh and maybe even beyond and not once have a I faced a problem due to size. On the contrary, I love the high seating from where you can look over the roofs of all other cars and actually see the traffic movement ahead. Also, the sense of claustrophobia when sitting in a low car in bumper to bumper traffic is not there at all. With the reduced turning radius, putting the big truck into small slots in traffic is also not a problem.
As far as the clutch hardening is concerned, I am yet to see it happen in my car after 14500km so far.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:06   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Thanks bro. I usually drive my cars for a maximum of 5 years and i would feel happy if they do not lose much value in the run. Having said that, i would accept that Storme is one machine thats making me defy all logics and reasoning and i have kinda finalised the beast. Would u mind telling me how good is it if im driving it for about 50 kms per day in delhi ncr traffic conditions with only 30 percent of it on open roads..would the clutch or size be a problem,especially considering the fact that few vehicles like duster and even the old safari clutch used to get so hard with time that one could contemplate a knee replacement along with the clutch assembly too.
I drive the 2.2VTT and that has a humungous turning radius compared to the Storme. I find it perfectly comfortable in city traffic and the Storme can only be better. The only adjustment I need to make is to be liberal about using footpaths etc while making U turns.

As for the clutch, yes in my 6 year old Safari it is harder than new. But then since the hardening has been gradual, I dont really notice it. Probably my leg muscles have strengthened to compensate . I do notice the difference when I drive another car back to back though.
Strangerintown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:13   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving a Storme in Delhi traffic since January and I must say that it's not at all hard in the conditions that we have here. A part of my daily drive is on the congested Mathura Rd from Badarpur border till Maharani Bagh and maybe even beyond and not once have a I faced a problem due to size. On the contrary, I love the high seating from where you can look over the roofs of all other cars and actually see the traffic movement ahead. Also, the sense of claustrophobia when sitting in a low car in bumper to bumper traffic is not there at all. With the reduced turning radius, putting the big truck into small slots in traffic is also not a problem.
As far as the clutch hardening is concerned, I am yet to see it happen in my car after 14500km so far.
+1000, the commanding view, ease of drive read it as soft clutch slick gear shifts make the Storme very easy to drive. Plus in bumper to bumper Delhi traffic and narrow roads, you do get the right of way. It is only when looking for parking spots in street markets you may feel the size of it. I remember last week when I was looking for a parking at Bhikaji Cama Place, all the parking attendants shooed me away inspite of my head office being there. I had to then park it in the middle of the street and asked my office driver to take care of it.

I havent been able to do a photoshoot of the Storme, but just for you all putting up a pic of my two prized possessions. One is driven by human power and the other horse power.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo-1.jpg

Last edited by garyag79 : 23rd June 2014 at 14:16.
garyag79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:26   #2900
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav, i didnt realise your Storme is also pearl white! Looks great in that colour.

I just got confirmation from Ajay that my car is reaching gurgaon tonight so i should get delivery tomorrow. I too have picked a pearl white storme.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:35   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
I havent been able to do a photoshoot of the Storme, but just for you all putting up a pic of my two prized possessions. One is driven by human power and the other horse power.
Attachment 1253117
great sight that . the beast and beautiful BIANCHI roadie.
Though i guess a mountain bike could have complimented the beast better.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:44   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Hey Gaurav, i didnt realise your Storme is also pearl white! Looks great in that colour.

I just got confirmation from Ajay that my car is reaching gurgaon tonight so i should get delivery tomorrow. I too have picked a pearl white storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
great sight that . the beast and beautiful BIANCHI roadie.
Though i guess a mountain bike could have complimented the beast better.
White looks best on it Himannshu in my opinion followed by black. Good to know yours is happening tomorrow, that means my spare alloy rim has also come.

Thanks madhu, had a Firefox MTB initially but it soon gave way to the Bianchi, the roadie is with me now for last 3 years, it loves the Delhi roads.
garyag79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 13:30   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the sense of claustrophobia when sitting in a low car in bumper to bumper traffic is not there at all.
Very pertinent point. I am used to Pune's chaotically flowing traffic. I get the same feeling of claustrophobia (where I want to rip off the seat belt, the roof of my car/the dor off its hinges, and start running) in Mumbai's traffic jams when in my Baleno. In the Storme, its like I am in a penthouse, looking down on the roofs of lower buildings, enjoying the free flowing breeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
The only adjustment I need to make is to be liberal about using footpaths etc while making U turns.
Seems to be a common trait of all Dicor drivers. LOL And you guys secretly love the look of awe on normal mortal's facs as you climb over the footpath like a battle tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
It is only when looking for parking spots in street markets you may feel the size of it. I remember last week when I was looking for a parking at Bhikaji Cama Place, all the parking attendants shooed me away inspite of my head office being there.
I don't know if you guys have noted the same, but if you compare a Storme and a Dicor side by side, the Storme "looks" wider than the Dicor both front and back. Could be the more protruding claddings. Don't know.
Old 24th June 2014, 13:44   #2904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seems to be a common trait of all Dicor drivers. LOL And you guys secretly love the look of awe on normal mortal's facs as you climb over the footpath like a battle tank!

While the DICOR could put a Boeing 747 to shame, the Storme's turning radius is in the league of sedans. No U turn problem
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 16:27   #2905
BHPian

First service done, minor complaint regarding seat belt socket resolved. The Storme came back shining as new both from the inside and outside. My service advisors asked me to take a test run before signing on the gate pass, also they made me inspect the vehicle underbelly and other nooks and corner before giving me the job sheet.. Great experience I must say compared to what I hear from public in general about Tata A.S.S. Aristo Motors in Gurgaon seem to have a clean work area and quite large compared to the Maruti, Skoda and VW A.S.S. that I have been used too till date.

I asked them if it makes sense to change the engine oil after every 7500 km, to which he replied that there is no harm in doing so, infact it will be good for the engine no matter in what condition the car is driven.

Last edited by garyag79 : 24th June 2014 at 16:31.
Old 24th June 2014, 21:43   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Guys is a "Tak" sound while releasing the clutch pedal quickly normal ? I get this sound even when the vehicle is stationery and I just press and release the pedal quickly without any gear shifts
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 21:50   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys is a "Tak" sound while releasing the clutch pedal quickly normal ? I get this sound even when the vehicle is stationery and I just press and release the pedal quickly without any gear shifts
I too get this sound randomly. Almost 2 months old car now with 1700 kms on ODO. This 'Tak' sound though occasional does irritate me.

Also from yesterday i have another problem. when i roll down the windows i can hear 'pacch' 'pacch' sound (typical sound when you drive a car with flat/punctured tubeless tyre - though i checked the tyre and there is no puncture problem) when car is in motion as though it is coming from RHS rear tyre. Again the sound is occasional. Any idea guys?

Last edited by lazybrain : 24th June 2014 at 21:55.
Old 24th June 2014, 23:37   #2908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Also from yesterday i have another problem. when i roll down the windows i can hear 'pacch' 'pacch' sound (typical sound when you drive a car with flat/punctured tubeless tyre - though i checked the tyre and there is no puncture problem) when car is in motion as though it is coming from RHS rear tyre. Again the sound is occasional. Any idea guys?
Its a big-ish stone stuck in the tread of your tyre.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 00:02   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its a big-ish stone stuck in the tread of your tyre.
Thanks a ton @ebonho for this. this problem is not unique to my storme but i used to face the same issue with my previous car wagon R but the sound used to disappear magically, hence i never bothered!. Now that i know the problem, i will check tomorrow the tyres for any stone!
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:02   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I too get this sound, asked my SA yesterday when gave it for service. He said it is normal nothing to worry about, said its the release mechanism that makes this sound but there is no mechanical issue with it.

Most Viewed