Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 18:10   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

ebonho - if you have this kind of issue just visit Concorde and ask them to bring in the plant DTE to resolve this. They keep this issue open until its resolved.

I had a problem in my safari where there used to be clinking noise from beneath on rough road at very low speeds. After spending lot of time in figuring this unsolved mystery the DTE who was quite an expert solved this within half an hour.

They removed the link rod bushing, put in a new ones, took out the workshop manual and tightened the bush with correctly mentioned torque, 3 turns of the nut. This solved the issue immediately. Earlier due to too much of tightening of the nut the washers used to bang on the metal making this clinking noise.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 19:09   #2732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
ebonho - if you have this kind of issue just visit Concorde and ask them to bring in the plant DTE to resolve this. They keep this issue open until its resolved.
Who is a "palnt DTE" bro?

I do not get any sound on the move. Just on operating the windows. Just when/as it slots in at the top or just as/when it finishes at the bottom.
Old 15th May 2014, 19:19   #2733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Who is a "palnt DTE" bro?

I do not get any sound on the move. Just on operating the windows. Just when/as it slots in at the top or just as/when it finishes at the bottom.
I just gave an example how the DTE quickly solved my problem, i dint mean that you have a similar problem.

Plant DTE is like a visiting faculty at Service stations. When they cant resolve the issue they escalate it to DTE. A DTE can then involve various plant people from various departments to resolve the issue.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 21:23   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody here using 2 din system from explorer kit ?
I have the explorer edition's touch screen HU in my Storme.
Old 18th May 2014, 13:23   #2735
BHPian

After thinking a lot on whether to take a test drive or not, yesterday I finally did. Why the hesitation! I know once I take a test drive, I would not be able to stop myself for long to have one in my parking.

This is a small dealer and ride experience from an absolutely non-technical point of view.

Dealer: KHT motors, Graphite India Road, Kundanahalli Bangalore.

I got a call from them in 10 minutes after showing interest in a test drive. The test drive was booked for 11.30 AM on Saturday morning. On Friday evening the SE gave a confirmation call. The vehicle was at my apartment gate at 11.15. In all this, not even a single followup call was required/made. The SE looked interested and was thorough in his knowledge of Storme and the difference between Storme and Dicor. For a change, I was impressed with his knowledge. My previous experience of buying an Indigo CS from Concorde motors was more of an one sided affair.

The test-drive vehicle was a thoroughly abused vehicle with 22k kms odometer reading. Since most of the Bangalore roads gives you an off-roading experience with in the city, you do not need to go out to test its ruggedness. The total distance I drove would be around 12-14kms in a mix of no-road, tight u-turns (common in Bangalore) and bumper-to-bumper traffic. The vehicle had absolutely no rattles. I made everyone keep quiet for a while to catch any rattle I could, but didn't. Happy.

The clutch was light, compared to Dicor as I have driven a Dicor in family. The turning circle is tight but there was some noise (kat-kat) from front wheels on turning the steering completely. Got a chance to test the brake when one of the infamous Bangalore auto took a sudden almost 90 degree right turn to jump the lane. Storme did nose-dive but it never lost control. I must be doing around 60-70kmph (on outer ring road). The AC is a chiller and 5 (3 from KHT, me and my friend) of us were pretty comfortable. Saying so because the Sun was really beating down hard yesterday afternoon. The engine felt smooth and eager to leap. During the drive, the engine vibration was not felt in the cabin. Although when the engine was switched-off, it switched-off with lot of vibration.

I asked my friend who has a pretty good built (6'3) to sit in driver seat. He instantly had the knee touching the front console problem. He spent good 5-7 minutes to find a good driving position but couldn't. Apart from this glitch he found the drive smooth and very comfortable. Although, me (@5'11) also had this knee touching the central console issue, but soon I was able to find a comfortable position.

Apart from this, as everyone knows, there are no features to write home about. The audio system was not working, or probably working but speakers were "gone." Didn't give much attention. The SE confirmed that new Stormes are not coming with company fitted ICE. On asking whether an upgraded version with 150PS power is expected, he flatly refused about any such update.

Would I buy one? Yes may be in few months. Need to do the formality XUV and Duster test drives. The decision I guess has already been made.

Quote of the test drive:
When asked why you guys only sell about avg 1k per month while XUV sells about 2-2.5k, the answer was, "Sir, if you want a vehicle which has only features, please don't buy Storme, its not for you. But, if you want something solid, is less complicate and sedate (the emotion that he wanted to convey) and which would last, then Storme is for you."

Offers going: About a lac of benefits including exchange bonus and three years insurance.

Last edited by ambujlal : 18th May 2014 at 13:29.
ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 17:32   #2736
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell me about it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
After thinking a lot on whether to take a test drive or not, yesterday I finally did. Why the hesitation! I know once I take a test drive, I would not be able to stop myself for long to have one in my parking.
The very reason that I never took a TD of the Dicor either. I knew that a TD would mean I would have to give my Sumo. Today, a year after I got my Storme, I still miss my Sumo ..

Quote:
Got a chance to test the brake when one of the infamous Bangalore auto took a sudden almost 90 degree right turn to jump the lane. Storme did nose-dive but it never lost control.
Got a chance to test the brakes within the first km of the TD, when a car seemed to come out of no where. I stepped on the brakes to get a feel of the quad-disc.

Quote:
Would I buy one? Yes may be in few months. Need to do the formality XUV and Duster test drives. The decision I guess has already been made.
One more .. I did a TD after I booked the Storme. It was a no-brainer for me. But I was at peace that I had TD'ed the competition too.

Quote:
Offers going: About a lac of benefits including exchange bonus and three years insurance.
3 years of insurance - that's another 50k at least !
Old 19th May 2014, 12:07   #2737
Senior - BHPian

The Storme is solid but dfinitely not sedate. I don't know if its something to do with XUV drivers around Pune-Mumbai area, but rarely if ever on open highways have I had an XUV keeping pace, let alone going ahead. I thought the XUVs were supposed to be faster, aided by their monocoque design and road dynamics.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th May 2014 at 12:09.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 12:20   #2738
BHPian

Guys

Did a day trip from Bangalore to Salem and back this weekend to test the beast on highway. It was a superb experience from someone like me who upgraded from an almost entry level hatchback (Wagon R) to premium SUV.

One thing was turn down for me, that i am not happy with the throw of stock headlights even on high beam. Probably i am used to the high illumination 100/80 Oshram Headlight assembly i had installed on my Wagon R.

Any suggestions for upgrade?
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:44   #2739
BHPian

Hi Guys

I just came back from a weekend trip to jim corbett from New delhi on my Tata Safari Storme. Travelled around 900 kms in 3days as I went to Naintal for a day from Jim Corbett. Must say my love and respect for this beast has increased multifold. Very stable vehicle on the highways, very comfortable and easy to maneouver. Took it for a spin in the jungle also - the landscaping area. It was a good experience, kind of an off road feel. Very robust and tough on the exterior, protects you from any kind of jerking and keeps you very comfortable on the inside.

Only negative that I observed was that it was very hard while climbing the steep mountains on the way to nainital. This is my first diesel vehicle so I really don't know whether it has something to do with a diesel car or that the safari being a heavy vehicle. I had to keep the car on rpm > 2000 to keep it stable on the steep curves. Otherwise everything else was just a dreamy experience.

Loved every bit of it.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:31   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Hi Guys

I just came back from a weekend trip to jim corbett from New delhi on my Tata Safari Storme. Travelled around 900 kms in 3days as I went to Naintal for a day from Jim Corbett. Must say my love and respect for this beast has increased multifold. Very stable vehicle on the highways, very comfortable and easy to maneouver. Took it for a spin in the jungle also - the landscaping area. It was a good experience, kind of an off road feel. Very robust and tough on the exterior, protects you from any kind of jerking and keeps you very comfortable on the inside.

Only negative that I observed was that it was very hard while climbing the steep mountains on the way to nainital. This is my first diesel vehicle so I really don't know whether it has something to do with a diesel car or that the safari being a heavy vehicle. I had to keep the car on rpm > 2000 to keep it stable on the steep curves. Otherwise everything else was just a dreamy experience.

Loved every bit of it.
Jasmeet a bit off topic but how were the roads from del to nainital. I'm going next weekend so any pointer would be helpful
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:39   #2741
Senior - BHPian

The Storm is an excellent vehicle being backed by pathetic after sales service and a brand name which has taken a lot of blows. I have not seen a single Storme owner complain of niggles in his SUV. Says a lot about its built quality. If reliable products are launched from time to time, Tata can reverse gear its past glory in some years.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:37   #2742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have not seen a single Storme owner complain of niggles in his SUV. Says a lot about its built quality. If reliable products are launched from time to time, Tata can reverse gear its past glory in some years.

The Company has endured through a lot of brickbats and still around to tell it's tale. The next 6 months are going to be crucial with it's much touted arrivals.

But I have almost decided on taking the plunge with the Storme LX. Any recommendation for useful mods and necessities are openly welcomed.
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:49   #2743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
The Company has endured through a lot of brickbats and still around to tell it's tale. The next 6 months are going to be crucial with it's much touted arrivals.

But I have almost decided on taking the plunge with the Storme LX. Any recommendation for useful mods and necessities are openly welcomed.
Well get the OE alloys, steel wheels kind of make it look a bit naked. Lastly, PLEASE find and hand over your car to a competent Tata service station only, even if it means scouting one far off from your place. I have seen how these people at the Govandi service station of Tata's are, totally incompetent with no customer satisfaction index drilled in their head.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 02:41   #2744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well get the OE alloys, steel wheels kind of make it look a bit naked.

Agreed. I believe it has been discussed here before that the wheel specifications of the Storme is as unique as the car itself on Indian roads - sense of exclusivity! 16" inches, PCD 160, 6.5J with 0 offset. Now most of the 16" alloys available though with same PCD is mostly 8J. Tough call - I might just have to settle in for the Safari OE alloys.

Secondly, I was hoping to fit a centre front armrest, anyone in this forum tried hand on that? I believe the console itself is quite wide for an universal armrest to be fitted.
Old 24th May 2014, 03:35   #2745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Storme is solid but dfinitely not sedate. I don't know if its something to do with XUV drivers around Pune-Mumbai area, but rarely if ever on open highways have I had an XUV keeping pace, let alone going ahead. I thought the XUVs were supposed to be faster, aided by their monocoque design and road dynamics.
May be XUVs ill-famed brakes and lower driving position are not-so-confidense-inspiring as those of Storme.

Last edited by YGarg : 24th May 2014 at 03:36. Reason: minor typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks