Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 10:33   #2026
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
With low revving engines, temperatures will never be high, A Safari can cruise at 100kmph but still the rpm remains under 3000. So overheating is never an issue here, also the ECU has the limp home mode which basically saves the engine in case of any issues arising.
Almost all diesel engines do 100kmph @ <3000rpm. That doesn't mean that temperatures can't shoot through the roof. Overheating is a function of the cooling system and not engine revs. An overheated engine should be shut down and the car should be towed to the nearest workshop instead of trying to limp home.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:00   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
Excuse me for going slightly , but there is more to it than said; and I can't help post it here for BHPians to feed-on (and correct me if required).
AFAIK, keeping the engine cool requires removal of heat from cylinder block, thus inherently reducing useful heat and engine efficiency. So theoretically engines should be operated at higher temperatures and higher compression ratio.
However in case of petrol engines higher temperature of metal causes auto-ignition of air-fuel mixture (since petrol ignites at lower temperature than diesel), which is the primary cause of engine knocking. Similar is the effect of high compression ratio. Hence designers are compelled to choose lower compression ratio and lower operating temperatures (except for most sophisticated high-performance engines).
Due to this the combustion pressure is also less, hence less-strong but highly thermal conductive materials (e.g. aluminium alloys) can be chosen for cylinder block.

Now talking of diesels, fuel ignites only due to the temperature of air after compression (no spark plug!). Hence the compression ratio HAS to be higher. Add to this the fact that fuel has "higher self-ignition temperature" and "is injected at the end of compression stroke", and you have no risk of knocking (Diesel engines do suffer from this disease, but due to different germs namely Improper fuel distribution, Injection timing etc).
Hence a diesel engine can be (and should be) operated at higher temperatures. This also increases their efficiency, but higher combustion pressure requires stronger and heavier (for sound damping) components, though the lack of thermal conductivity is somewhat tolerable (thanks to higher operating temperature!). Humble Cast iron often wins the race here, being a reasonably strong, and good vibration damping material. Even if you use modern (read Stronger) aluminium alloys, sound damping will be poor (remember Amaze reviews?).

Overheating is a relative term (relative to design temperature, which are hugely different for petrol and diesel engines as discussed above), and is detrimental to any engine (or machine). So in the end, i would like to uphold your statement that "Temperature gauge is the most important indicator".

Last edited by YGarg : 8th January 2014 at 11:07.
YGarg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:00   #2028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not at all impressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system. The OE Kenwood in my 7 year old Aveo used to sound much better. How can one enhance the sound? One of the options I am toying with is to put the Blaupunkt Gtb 8A all in one subwoofer and amplifier. Any suggestions?
I think the Alpine system provided is ONE of the best. Can't recollect the model name, but from what I remember, it was something that was retailing for around 25K in 2008-2009(Owners could confirm this). But on the other side, the speakers are NOT up to the mark.

To better the quality in a simple way, you can upgrade those speakers to a better brand and probably add two more speakers in the boot (in wooden boxes) for the extra thump! If you have extra dough, you may go in for amps + sub woofer (instead of the extra speakers) as well.

Quote:
One thing I have noticed in the last two days of driving; it takes a good 20-25km before the engine really warms up and becomes smooth...
That's quite some time! My Swift reaches optimal temperature in around 4-5 kms drive. Is it to do with the higher capacity engine?

Quote:
...In all the other cars that I have had, once the needle reaches halfway mark, it stays there regardless of all other conditions.
Same in Swift, once it reaches the optimal temperature, it stays there. NO fluctuations during the drive.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2014 at 11:11.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:22   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think they are all the same. I have moved them around, and now dont remember which came from where.
They are not the same bro. One set are taller than the other. Don't know for sure about narrower/wider, but one set is definitely taller and shaped differently. Please check closely.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:47   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
They are not the same bro. One set are taller than the other. Don't know for sure about narrower/wider, but one set is definitely taller and shaped differently. Please check closely.
Was meaning to take pics of the head rests in the morning and post them, but somehow got tied up in the morning rush. Will do in the evening, if possible.

Incidentally, I have managed a full 400km till just past the half-way mark on the fuel gauge.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:52   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was meaning to take pics of the head rests in the morning and post them, but somehow got tied up in the morning rush. Will do in the evening, if possible.
Thanks bro. That will be SUPER! Hope like Condor and me, you have not moved around the headrests yet though .....

Quote:
Incidentally, I have managed a full 400km till just past the half-way mark on the fuel gauge.
I know. I read what you and someone else posted. Question is, what speed were you driving at? And was there any climbing or only flat land? Was it in the city or the highway?

I read somewhere that the ARAI figures for the Storme 4x4 are 12.6 kmpl and for the 4x2 its 13.2 kmpl. So I would be be happy to get somewhere around the same. Though I am as greedy as the next guy and can dream about 15 kmpl on tour. But then I am never ready to drive like a greedy economiser as well.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 14:53   #2032
BHPian

Incidentally, I have managed a full 400km till just past the half-way mark on the fuel gauge.[/quote] wow I do something like 430 Kms on a full tank with sedate driving. At this rate you would be able to take it to 600 Kms on a full tank.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 15:12   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
wow I do something like 430 Kms on a full tank with sedate driving. At this rate you would be able to take it to 600 Kms on a full tank.
From what I can see of how much is remaining before the red zone and how much my Storme has already done from tankful (my first up till now), I'm guessing about 550-570 kms tops in my case before the amber light comes on.

Will report.

But if we go by the discussion me, Condor, and Dev were having some time ago, the consensus was that of the 55 liter capacity, 15 liters were in the red zone, which left 40 liters from tankful (visual sloshing to the top) to red zone/amber light blinking start.

So if my Storme covers 550 kms from tankful to amber light, that means a mileage of around 13.75 kmpl - even my Zen has never given me that much. HELP!!! I must be doing something wrong ..... or TATA has done something right.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2014 at 15:21.
Old 8th January 2014, 15:39   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
I know. I read what you and someone else posted. Question is, what speed were you driving at? And was there any climbing or only flat land? Was it in the city or the highway?
My driving is on flat land only. 70% on a four lane highway where I don't cross 90-100kmph (not above 2300rpm), 30% on relatively traffic free, but very rough trucker road (road from crusher) and 10% in congested city traffic. For those familiar with Delhi, the route is Gurgaon Sector 56 - Gurgaon Faridabad Express Highway - Crusher Road to Surajkund - Badarpur Border - Mathura Rd - Jasola. Same route back. I change gears just as the needle touches / crosses 2000rpm and never lug it below 1000rpm. So, its a relatively slow and peaceful drive that I do (and I have always driven like that).
I will get a more accurate picture once I fill up next, which I plan to do today evening. Right now, the needle is just on the negative side of half tank. I will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's quite some time! My Swift reaches optimal temperature in around 4-5 kms drive. Is it to do with the higher capacity engine?
The temperature gauge reaches halfway mark in 4-5km here as well. I was mentioning the smoothness of the engine after getting properly warmed up.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th January 2014 at 08:13.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 16:37   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My driving is on flat land only. 70% on a four lane highway where I don't cross 90-100kmph (not above 2300rpm), 30% on relatively traffic free, but very rough trucker road (road from crusher) and 10% in congested city traffic. For those familiar with Delhi, the route is Gurgaon Sector 56 - Gurgaon Faridabad Express Highway - Crusher Road to Surajkund - Badarpur Border - Mathura Rd - Jasola. Same route back. I change gears just as the needle touches / crosses 2000rpm and never lug it below 1000rpm. So, its a relatively slow and peaceful drive that I do (and I have always driven like that).
I will get a more accurate picture once I fill up next, which I plan to do today evening. Right now, the needle is just on the negative side of half tank. I will update.
I have begun to drive like this as well (diesel truck mode I call it ..... haathi mode at other times) on my 20 odd km a day city commute to and fro. Plus I read somewhere that a diesel does not get properly warmed up and in the "zone" till the first 25 kms - so most of my driving is suboptimal engine temperatures and out of the zone.

But on the highway try as I might (I sincerely did try this time - for like the first 50 odd kms - before caving in) I just cannot drive like that man. 2 nd gear is so short, it easily spikes to almost 3K rpm if your foot is not kept in strict control. 3rd is good and long and punchy but there too 2.5K is easy peasy most times without even realising you're pulling the beast. 5th gear and if you're 2.5K rpm thereabouts, you're comfortably already upward of 120-130 anyways (though to be honest, in the daytime that's not where it ends .....). And in the ghats, both going up and coming down, I prefer to shift down just to stay in the meat, though the taller next gear is still adequate.

So if I can get 14 odd kmpl driving like this, its pretty satisfactory to me at least. Don't want to compromise on the fun just to pull 1-2 more kmpl out of the monster.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2014 at 16:39.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:19   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
So if I can get 14 odd kmpl driving like this, its pretty satisfactory to me at least. Don't want to compromise on the fun just to pull 1-2 more kmpl out of the monster.
Believe me, I am driving my style only up to the point where running in is over. After that, I am going to enjoy the drive, especially since the truck REALLY MOVES!!
However, I have always been a sedate driver and am not comfortable with very high speeds or high revs. Just to add, when I drove a friend's Innova many years back, where he used to get 11kmpl, I got 14kmpl.
Will report today what comes out in terms of actual figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Since you are in Delhi, why not meet up sometime? Would be great to exchange views (and get acquainted too).

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th January 2014 at 08:14. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th January 2014, 19:05   #2037
BHPian

@ sasi- why don't you start using multiquote instead of back to back posts?

Quote:
But on the highway try as I might (I sincerely did try this time - for like the first 50 odd kms - before caving in) I just cannot drive like that man. 2 nd gear is so short, it easily spikes to almost 3K rpm if your foot is not kept in strict control.(though to be honest, in the daytime that's not where it ends .....). And in the ghats, both going up and coming down, I prefer to shift down just to stay in the meat, though the taller next gear is still adequate.

Doc, I just can't stop laughing about the fact that you even try to watch your foot. I know both of us have a heavy foot, just like the big thumbs!
Honestly, I don't care about the famous question- "kitna deti hai?". Never ever watch it, as I love to drive it spiritedly (& safely). And the only difference to attain this driving nirvana is the cost of 1-2 kmpl, honestly that's the price I an live with! Else wouldn't had purchased a 1.2 million rupee truck.
So drive safely and let your foot listen to your heart and also to the sound from the truck's engine!

OT: I loved the write up about your Mumbai trip in your ownership thread.

Last edited by stormerider : 8th January 2014 at 19:08.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 21:55   #2038
BHPian

I would have bought the Safari Storme instead of Innova only if Tata would have a better image. My experience is mixed with Tata and Tata has zero snob value now. Safari Storme, even the older safari is miles better than the van but still sells 1/4th of the van. Tata if you cant improve your image, I guess its a time for a reboot and Thank You very much for screwing up the rear of the Storme. I know 3-4 people who would buy Safari Storme or an XUV500 Automatic, even Aria if they came out with it. Automatic would probably give a huge boost to the sale of the SUV. Also the Automatic should have two variants like Verna has. One the basic and other fully loaded. That would help revive the sale and put the name back up.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:43   #2039
BHPian

Just filled my first top up. 32.75L @ 477km, making an average of 14.56kmpl.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:12   #2040
Distinguished - BHPian

What are you guys running on ?!!!
And at what speeds do you change gears ?

I have not got those numbers even if I drive @ 90kmph.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks