Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2013, 18:58   #1696
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Thanks DragonRider! And then the next obvious question, can the display be used as a generic display as well?
I'm afraid not, would have been a killer of a deal at 5K isn't it, had that been possible .

The camera input was fed into the display using video input connectors (m-f type) and the crosslink guy did a very good job of ensuring that no wires are visible in the cabin. It becomes sort of hard-wired as the connectors are black-taped and the point of connection is not accessible/visible post the installation.

I do think that this display can be used as a generic display if not employed to serve the reverse cam , not sure though.
DragonRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 22:55   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
Has anyone got a gear lock installed on the Storme, I was told that there is no compatible gear lock and It'd void the warranty of the seat height adjust, as it would interfere with it. Is it required/recommended, or are the immobilizer and central locking good enough?
I got a gear lock installed on my ex from Concorde when I bought the truck. Does a good job and no reason why it should interfere with the seat height adjuster if installed well. It's he U type and not the pin type fitted in sedans.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 23:58   #1698
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I got a gear lock installed on my ex
OT:

Forgive me the digression but when I read the above it somehow reminded me of chastity belts. Hope you know what I mean. Nevertheless, I hope it does what it needs to do.

Just read on some thread: On an aside, I don't understand why people love the fact that the G klasse or the 911 look fairly similar across generations but just the fact that the Storme looks similar to the old Safari is like a really bad move! A rather general agreement exists on the fact that the previous gen was a good looker and that would obviously discourage TML from being experimental. Read the same crib in most magazines too.

Cheers
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 08:42   #1699
BHPian

Folks,
Having a tough time getting a test drive evn after 4 calls and twice logging in TML site finally hv directly called tafe rech in chennai.
Concorde guys seem to be selling thousands or they just dont care.

I would like to hv Urban bronze-not available in lx variant.
How is S.red? silver looks bland...
The special offer thing for this month is a farce looks like.
Anything new round the corner,dont mind waiting a little longer

cheers

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th October 2013 at 09:42. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins. Thanks!
Old 13th October 2013, 09:25   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Having a tough time getting a test drive evn after 4 calls and twice logging in TML site finally hv directly called tafe rech in chennai.
Concorde guys seem to be selling thousands or they just dont care.

I would like to hv Urban bronze-not available in lx variant.
How is S.red? silver looks bland...
The special offer thing for this month is a farce looks like.
Anything new round the corner,dont mind waiting a little longer

cheers
Pradeep
Tafe and VST are very responsive. Speak to Saravanan at Tafe. I took some 5 TDs over 3-4 months. S-Red is very rare. I have seen only once and surprisingly looked very good. But that's not available in the Lx.

There isn't any reported enhacements round the corner. I don't expect any for atleast 2 yrs going by TML's track record
Old 14th October 2013, 13:15   #1701
BHPian

Completed 800km round trip on Saturday, majorly highway with some 100 km broken stretch. The beast just went on and on, amazing ride quality and comfort, cruised all day without giving fatigue!
Have given for 15k kms service, the advisor tried to sell diesel additive and engine wax which are not covered under amc. Have denied these, but are they needed?
Old 14th October 2013, 19:41   #1702
BHPian

A quick question to all storme owners who have fitted Reverse parking camera. Is it adding any value? Also, I am planning to get the dash mounted one from Tata costing close to 5300; is it worth it or is an integrated one better? Have been driving the storme for the last 7 months with sensors and never had a problem reversing. Mind says not needed while the heart desires it . Thanks.
Old 15th October 2013, 03:20   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
A quick question to all storme owners who have fitted Reverse parking camera. Is it adding any value? Also, I am planning to get the dash mounted one from Tata costing close to 5300; is it worth it or is an integrated one better? Have been driving the storme for the last 7 months with sensors and never had a problem reversing. Mind says not needed while the heart desires it . Thanks.
I am in the opposite boat, as I've got the dash mounted display + cam installed and am thinking if I really need the sensors. As of now, am being able to manage with just the camera but it hasn't even been a month, so am still getting used to its line of focus and distance approximation marks. I think having both cam and sensors would inspire more confidence but on the flip side, may cause concentration issues (having too many things on the mind ).
DragonRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 09:54   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I am in the opposite boat, as I've got the dash mounted display + cam installed and am thinking if I really need the sensors. As of now, am being able to manage with just the camera but it hasn't even been a month, so am still getting used to its line of focus and distance approximation marks. I think having both cam and sensors would inspire more confidence but on the flip side, may cause concentration issues (having too many things on the mind ).
Both Camera and Sensor together are better, but if i have to choose between one or the other, i will go with Sensor, Because of the audible sound you will not miss anything, but in case of camera only, you need to pay attention to camera. you cannot back up by just looking at the camera, so when you turn your head and look around, your eyes are away from the screen.
teamveevee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:51   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
but in case of camera only, you need to pay attention to camera. you cannot back up by just looking at the camera, so when you turn your head and look around, your eyes are away from the screen.
I learnt my driving on a M800 and I do have a habit of looking back while reversing. That's the reason I've got the display mounted at the left corner of the dashboard (have added a pic, a couple of posts ago), this works well for me and I am thinking of getting parking sensors with small LCD type displays so that I can place the LCD at the foot of the reverse cam display. But I somehow feel that It'll look cheap, although i may still go ahead and buy it if I am not too comfortable with just the displays.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:44   #1706
Senior - BHPian

I have sensors (with a black unit which is stuck above the IRVM) from ACORN, which beeps with increasing frequency/decibels as well as shows different colored bars on both sides (depending on which corner is closer to the obstacle) and the distance readout in the center.

From experience I have found that when the beeps finally becoming continuous and the distance shows as 0.0, there is about 15 cm left between the bumper and the obstacle.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 15:18   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Guys
is there a way in which one can mute the ringing of your mobile phone ( paired to the blue tooth ) through the music system itself ? there is a call answer key which is used to cut the call also. what about muting ? or am i expecting too much from this music system !
Old 15th October 2013, 20:39   #1708
BHPian

The T-BHP stickers arrived today :-), here are a few pictures of the beast.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-sticker2edited.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-sticker1new.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-parked_storme_edited.jpg
DragonRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 22:01   #1709
BHPian

Had to take an uneven Kuchha road today as someone had dug up one of the internal roads, that I take while returning from office and it turned out to be close to an off-roading experience, with huge waterlogged craters that I was unaware of. I simply followed a Manza who seemed to know where he was going, although I was glad that the Storme took it with great ease. I parked it at the usual place in my apartment complex and was merrily sipping on my evening tea when my 6 yrs old daughter came home crying - 'Papa hamaari safari ke aage waale tyre mein jo motor laga tha, woh kho gaya hai, ab safari nahi chal payegi'. I instantly knew that I had lost one of the hubcaps :(. Well I always knew that she'll never be a gear-head, and you should have seen the joy on her face when we told her that the safari will run fine even without that motor .

Have any of you Storme owners purchased a replacement hubcap, I guess it'll be available at the TASS, any idea about its price?
Old 16th October 2013, 22:58   #1710
Senior - BHPian

The much bigger ones on the Dicor are held in place by the bolts I think. Ours are press fit?

I kind of like the big ones on the Dicor. Like missile silos!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks