Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 12:49   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Happened to drive the Storme finally. Its an improvement in every sense of the world in almost all departments. And frankly, I like the looks of the Storme as well.

The Car drives good, torque is all around, you needn't lug or work too much with the 'box. The 'box in isolation is nice as well. The reverse was a bit notchy to engage in a cold TD Car. The brakes are super, at least when compared to its nearest competition. I don't recall much nose dive either & the Car stopped w/o any fuss or screech. The folk from Tata hadn't belted up despite me asking, I am just glad he didn't go back with a bloodied nose. The braking reminded me of the Pajero SFX.

Being a diesel, it doesn't like too much revs, but is quite rev-happy and is just short of the Hawk's 2.2 motor in refinement. But where the Scorpio demands either a taller 5th or a 6th, the Stomre happily chugs along.

The view is very commanding & the size would take getting some used to driving in the city, despite driving the Scorpio & Pajero often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Chromed ORVMs. Be cautious : That chrome can get scratched and the ORVMs don't fold forwards either. When in danger, just flick a switch to electrically fold them in:

While I was starting to drive, I manually opened the ORVM's to which the representative from Tata said that they are powered. So, on clicking the button, the left ORVM was open in its normal position but the right one went forward. Means no more cyclists & other two wheelers knocking it down.

Must admit, it took some time to get the hang of the powered ORVM's.

EDIT : Which one is the projector beam, the low beam or the high beam?

* I was driving the VX 4X2 & the Car was considered by my friend whose SFX has gone to Delhi for the next 2 years.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th September 2013 at 12:58.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:41   #1607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While I was starting to drive, I manually opened the ORVM's to which the representative from Tata said that they are powered. So, on clicking the button, the left ORVM was open in its normal position but the right one went forward. Means no more cyclists & other two wheelers knocking it down.

Must admit, it took some time to get the hang of the powered ORVM's.

* I was driving the VX 4X2 & the Car was considered by my friend whose SFX has gone to Delhi for the next 2 years.
Thanks for the update. However, when I was tugging at the ORVM trying to fold it forward, there was quite a bit of resistance. So I let it be lest I break it.
As for the beams, I think the low beam is through projector, but I will let owners comment on that.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 13:55   #1608
BHPian

Projectors are the low beam as is the case in most cars (xuv 500, skodas etc.)
Old 17th September 2013, 13:59   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks for the update. However, when I was tugging at the ORVM trying to fold it forward, there was quite a bit of resistance. So I let it be lest I break it.
As for the beams, I think the low beam is through projector, but I will let owners comment on that.
Yes, the low beam is the one with the projector. The high beam is the one in the center of the big reflector.

The mirrors do fold forward, but are tight. I checked it on mine only after I saw it being done on another Storme at the service station.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 12:47   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Lx doesn't come with height adjustable seat. And urban bronze is also not for lx.
Deal that you are getting is awesome, which state? As I had purchased my storme lx before budget in Jaipur at 11.21 by buying insurance from outside. Zero dep insurance from Sbi general at 35.5k.
Hence with explorer kit 11.51 is amazing offer.
The printed brochure with dealer indicates LX has seat height adjust, though online specs don't (hence the confusion). The given quote is for Kota (Rajasthan), may be some price reduction has occurred since you purchased yours.
Old 18th September 2013, 14:51   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
Devadath, the vehicle is at the KHT service centre. There is a TML engineer resident at KHT and took it there at his behest. The steering rack and pinion is being changed. If this does not work I will contact you for information on Concorde motors. While TASS is helpful their inability to solve problems is worrying and I don't want to spend time at the service center.

Hi Charles, Did changing the steering rack and pinion resolved the alignment issue. I just purchased storme on sunday and went to dealer today as vehicle was pulling to left, they said alignment was out. But after the alignment, still it is pulling to left.

I have Yoko stock size tyres and dicor alloys on it.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:07   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post

The printed brochure with dealer indicates LX has seat height adjust, though online specs don't (hence the confusion). The given quote is for Kota (Rajasthan), may be some price reduction has occurred since you purchased yours.
No price reduction has happened, rather the prices had gone up after budget where they increased taxes on suv body form. IMO the dealer is offering a huge discount. and to be careful just check if it is 2013 vehicle or an old one lying in his stockyard, as they had a lot of 2012 vehicles, in that case the prices would be pre-budget and to pass it off he is adding the explorer kit.
For seat height adjustment, take my word, it is not there.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:58   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Congratulations and happy birthday!
And coincidentally we had also booked my storme on my birthday with kamal & co. I took insurance from outside saving me 3k and getting a zero dep insurance. I also have gold amc for 4 years. For service I have moved to roshan motors Malviya nagar service station as kamal & co wasn't paying attention and the service advisor was a complete fool.
Hi Stormerider,

Now I know why you shifted to Roshan at Malviya nagar, 2 days after taking delivery and driving almost 200 KM, I am not satisfied with vehicle - a) pulling to left, got alignment done today at Kamal (spent 2 hours), not much change b) there are vibrations gear shift (don't know if it is common), c) windows rattling noise, d) in 5th gear around speed of 80 get strange noise "Drrroooonh", again not sure if it is ok.

Called Service advisor at Kamal and he advised to drive it and they will look into these once I will come at service of 1500.... what is this? Since I had to rush to office today, so could not get more time to talk to him.

Is it possible to meet you on this saturday (as I have off on this day), you can drive my vehicle and let me know what is wrong, so I can go back and ask Tata guys to fix these issue.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:27   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Stormerider,

Now I know why you shifted to Roshan at Malviya nagar, 2 days after taking delivery and driving almost 200 KM, I am not satisfied with vehicle - a) pulling to left, got alignment done today at Kamal (spent 2 hours), not much change b) there are vibrations gear shift (don't know if it is common), c) windows rattling noise, d) in 5th gear around speed of 80 get strange noise "Drrroooonh", again not sure if it is ok.

Called Service advisor at Kamal and he advised to drive it and they will look into these once I will come at service of 1500.... what is this? Since I had to rush to office today, so could not get more time to talk to him.

Is it possible to meet you on this saturday (as I have off on this day), you can drive my vehicle and let me know what is wrong, so I can go back and ask Tata guys to fix these issue.
Service advisor at kamal- Neeraj, if I remember correctly, is a loud mouth person with zero knowledge and almost negative commitment towards his job. I wonder why did they hand him servicing of storme?
a) vehicle pulling left- go through some previous pages, someone else had got that corrected.
b) Vibration in gear shift - it is there but is controlled. Problem comes when there is slight noise with this vibration in either the front shifts(1,3,5) or rear shifts(2,4,R).
c) windows rattling noise - that's a new one!
d) from where is this noise coming? engine bay or somewhere else?
We can fix up on Saturday, not my day off but I am self employed.
Have messaged you my details.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 19:11   #1615
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

The brakes are super, at least when compared to its nearest competition. I don't recall much nose dive either & the Car stopped w/o any fuss or screech.

The view is very commanding & the size would take getting some used to driving in the city, despite driving the Scorpio & Pajero often.

The brakes are indeed super. Can vouch for it as have experienced real life slamming the pedal to the floor on two occasions in my ARIA Pure (same chassis & braking system presumed in the Storme).(and hope to have no more). No drama, no squealing, it comes to a dead halt in a straight line. Period.

By similarity basis, the projector is the low beam, the clear one is the high beam.
Old 18th September 2013, 20:17   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post

Hi Charles, Did changing the steering rack and pinion resolved the alignment issue. I just purchased storme on sunday and went to dealer today as vehicle was pulling to left, they said alignment was out. But after the alignment, still it is pulling to left.

I have Yoko stock size tyres and dicor alloys on it.
Yes it did resolve the issue. Same for Condor.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:58   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post

Yes it did resolve the issue. Same for Condor.
Presence of such issues on new vehicles raises doubts regarding QA checks of TATA, and is disheartening for prospective buyers. Should be taken seriously by company.
Old 19th September 2013, 08:50   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Sad that there are still minor quality issues with Storme. I hope they would sort this once they cut the number of vendors and get stuff from fewer.

The brakes are the best thing of the Storme. I tested/restested/tested/retested the brakes when I was TDing. It was so confidence inspiring ( that we miss on old Safari at high speeds.).
Old 19th September 2013, 09:29   #1619
Distinguished - BHPian

@JK & YGarg - from the discussions I have followed, this was the only issue that seems to be there - and resolvable by replacement of one part.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:40   #1620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@JK & YGarg - from the discussions I have followed, this was the only issue that seems to be there - and resolvable by replacement of one part.
Do you mean the alignment issue? IF so, remember, it may come again after some time unless Tata goes for a retro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks