Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 18:18   #1591

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi,

Pleased to share the have taken delivery of Storme EX UB today. Had done PDI yesterday and vehicle was Aug 2013 manufactured as per VIN information and ODO has 39 KM on it.

But to my surprise, I could fit storme very easily in first try...so happy now.

Here are few pics (before tyre change)

Will post more how it looks with Dicor alloys and new set of tyres and initial ownership review after couple of days.

Next on list is seat covers, good mats, weurth strips.
Hi,

Nice to see Storme in brown color. So far had managed to see only grey and black color in Mumbai.

Is it possible for you to send the pic of the back, because I want to know how it will look with the black band (the black strip below the glass on the back door)? For grey Storme, the black band looks beautiful. But brown Storme .. can't imagine!

Thanks,
bhp4putuval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 19:41   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Sunit
Many congrats ! Do post pics post alloys fitment. UB is a smashing colour- do go for some good paint protection service like 3M
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:22   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Sunit !
Welcome to the club !

Quote:
However, the experience with dealer was of kind of mix, not good or not bad. I was surprised that they charged me Rs.5000/- extra for number of my choice though the number series was available with dealer.

Also, as last moment they told me the insurance price quoted is not zero dep, whereas had clearly told them that I need Zero dep, so had to shell out extra Rs.1600/- on insurance (instead of 3500 he was asking).

1) I didn't get Pollution certificate, they said sticker is fine and valid for 1 year.

3) They also didn't gave anything on Extended warranty.
Actually, the series is not available with the dealer. The process is:
the dealers submits the papers to the RTO. The RTO just collects all the papers from all dealers & starts to enter first in a register. This is done in the sequence it was collected throug out the day.
So no allocation happens at the dealer's place. Any specific selection / allocation will be at the RTO - hence the additional charge

But the experiences at the dealers are mostly mixed. Your note about the insurance snafu reminds me of my experience. :(

Like they say, it aint over till it's all over. Just need to keep an eye on each step and not rely totally on the dealer & his people - even if you generally trust them.

PUC - not required for first year.

Extended Wty - get it this week. Follow up, pls. Double check with TML that it is valid ( as learnt from the experience from a couple of fellow enthusiasts)

Wishing you lots of happy miles !
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:24   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Pleased to share the have taken delivery of Storme EX UB today. Had done PDI yesterday and vehicle was Aug 2013 manufactured as per VIN information and ODO has 39 KM on it.

Congrats !! and welcome to the strange world of Tata & Safari Maintenance

Last edited by Eddy : 15th September 2013 at 22:13. Reason: Fixing quotes
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 22:46   #1595
Senior - BHPian

The EW booklet comes in after a week only. But I got a receipt from dealer for the paymenttt made. Shouldn't be a problem

@bhp4putuval - I don't think ther's a grey in Storme. You mean the silver ?
Old 15th September 2013, 22:56   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
However, the experience with dealer was of kind of mix, not good or not bad. I was surprised that they charged me Rs.5000/- extra for number of my choice though the number series was available with dealer.

Also, as last moment they told me the insurance price quoted is not zero dep, whereas had clearly told them that I need Zero dep, so had to shell out extra Rs.1600/- on insurance (instead of 3500 he was asking).

The reverse parking camera + sensors they had installed was of LCD type, display they fixed on right side on dashboard, whereas I had asked them for display on IRVM. Have asked them to change it but could not get it done due to sunday. (Is LCD type better or IRVM display better, I felt IRVM display unit is easy...what do you suggest?)

On other front, though they handed over insurance and receipts with registration number, they didn't gave me invoice (again excuse was sunday). Security number plate will be available in few days at dealer only.

I have few queries (as per delivery checklists posted on forum):-

1) I didn't get Pollution certificate, they said sticker is fine and valid for 1 year.
2) what is sales certificate, guy at dealer was not aware
3) They also didn't gave anything on Extended warranty

But to my surprise, I could fit storme very easily in first try...so happy now.

Next on list is seat covers, good mats, weurth strips.
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Special number requires a dd of 5000 to be submitted with Rto, you can give a dd also.
For insurance I had warned you earlier also.
For parking sensors, they are very skeptical about playing with wiring, hence they did not install the sensor display in rvm.
Security number plate and windscreen stickers are installed at Rto office at jhalana, you will have to take your car there.
They must give the extended warranty certificate or mark it on your owner's manual. Tata enrolls your warranty and amc details with your vehicle no on their system which can be accessed by every dealer and is displayed when they start billing process, so should not be a problem.
Storme's turning radius, commanding position and light steering n clutch make it very easy to park.
Wishing you happy motoring and many happy miles.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:30   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Hi ebonho , I think you are right, may be because of lager jump seats, not sure if they have also raised the seat position, as my 6 ft friends would feel more comfortable in my old dicor jump seats than in storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
I think its the spare tyre which moved under the body is responsible for this..:-)
The Storme jump seats are wider, plusher (more cushioned), and also have a seat support foldable metal bracket below, which the Dicor ones did not.

The reason your 6 ft friends are more comfortable in the Dicor could probably be due to the slope of the upper part of the side walls, because the height of the floor has not changed (again measured by me) and the spare tyre in the Storme simply takes the place of the fuel tank in the Dicor, under the floor of the cabin.

Even the fall-way "step" of the floor of the 2nd row compared to that of the 3rd row is the same in both versions.

P.S.

Congrats on your new Storme, Sunit! Your daughter looks really excited about the huge beast. Kids simply love the 3rd row for some reason - even 4 of them packed into it at the same time. LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 16th September 2013 at 12:34.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:32   #1598
Senior - BHPian

double post back to back - deleted.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:46   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Welcome to TBHP.

I think that you would need the rear AC unit during summer. The seat height adjustment would help too.
Also I think the EX get engine immobilizer and sort which is worth the extra money.
Yesterday again checked with TATA and was informed that Height adjustable driver seat is there in LX also. AC & Arm rest remains the deciding factor now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Am same height as urs, Lx is perfectly ok. When you tried the Ex, what position did you keep the steering adjustment at ? Most likely the topmost.

I'm from Chennai - so don't miss the rear wiper or fog lamps, despite Chennai heat, don't miss the rear ac. Maybe required if you fill up the 3 rows with people.

Only item I thought I might miss was the arm rest. Have been driving the Lx for 4k kms now and am doing fine without the armrest. Go for the Lx and save the money for some upgrades later. Mind you Lx comes only in Black, Artic silver and pearl white

Amc - pls go back a few pages and check the table tsk has posted and pick the one that suits you best ( I think 4yrs/40k should be fine )

Btw what's the deal your getting ?
As for colors, salesperson told all colors are available in LX also (though I still agree with you).
The deal offered is LX + Explorer kit @ 1151000 OTR (After Corporate + Dealer discount). But I think I can get a better deal during Festivals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Arm rest is something that the co-driver gets to enjoy. As the driver, I find it not convenient to use in city driving, but is a good feature for long drives.
I also think the arm-rest is better suited to passenger than driver seat.
Checked-out Explorer edition kit installed VX. While 2-DIN system was fine in position as well as performance, I couldn't understand why Navigation is not included in this itself. Decals quality was poor, but looked OK on Pearl while. I hope similar 2-DIN systems may be available in market with Navigation too (If so, would like to go for those).
Insurance quote is 45 k (zero dep), which appeared a bit high to me. SA insisted it is compulsory to get first insurance from Dealer only, which I didn't agree with. B.t.w. for saving some more money, can (and should) one go for a Third-party only policy?
Old 16th September 2013, 18:23   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Yesterday again checked with TATA and was informed that Height adjustable driver seat is there in LX also.
The deal offered is LX + Explorer kit @ 1151000 OTR (After Corporate + Dealer discount). But I think I can get a better deal during Festivals.
Height adjustable seat in Lx ? Need to go back home and recheck

Whats the total discount ?
You must be in some really low road tax state man !
Old 16th September 2013, 21:07   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Yesterday again checked with TATA and was informed that Height adjustable driver seat is there in LX also. AC & Arm rest remains the deciding factor now!

As for colors, salesperson told all colors are available in LX also (though I still agree with you).
The deal offered is LX + Explorer kit @ 1151000 OTR (After Corporate + Dealer discount).
Insurance quote is 45 k (zero dep), which appeared a bit high to me. SA insisted it is compulsory to get first insurance from Dealer only, which I didn't agree with. B.t.w. for saving some more money, can (and should) one go for a Third-party only policy?
Lx doesn't come with height adjustable seat. And urban bronze is also not for lx.
Deal that you are getting is awesome, which state? As I had purchased my storme lx before budget in Jaipur at 11.21 by buying insurance from outside. Zero dep insurance from Sbi general at 35.5k.
Hence with explorer kit 11.51 is amazing offer.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 21:29   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Extended Wty - get it this week. Follow up, pls. Double check with TML that it is valid ( as learnt from the experience from a couple of fellow enthusiasts)
Thanks condor, your post alerted me and I called the Tata Motors Customer Care to check the warranty status of my Safari purchased in June 2012 and to my surprise the executive on the phone told me that the warranty has completed almost near to 1 year from the date of purchase where as I took the extended warranty i.e. 2+2 years.

Today visited the dealer to check this and they told me that extended warranty is applicable to my Safari till 2016 as per their records. Could not understand when TML offers standard 2 years warranty on Safari Dicor then why it was showing warranty expired on TML system after 1 year of my purchase.

Just for my knowledge, Is there any provision that the dealer doesn't update the TML records about the extended warranty but do the needful when needed.

What should I do now? Any suggestions?

-
SS
Old 16th September 2013, 22:17   #1603
BHPian

ss

My extended warranty on my 2010 safari was not filed with the insurance.
I just have the EW booklet, when i tried exercising a claim recently wa told such record doesnt exist.
This was malpractice of KHT motors. Just try checking with the insurer directly if your vehicle is registered.
Check my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anty-scam.html
Old 17th September 2013, 12:23   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Subraiyr - first service done and no ownership report ? Not good

What exactly was the sound in the clutch ? As for squeaks inside I have noticed its mainly from seat belt and the rear seat back mounting which comes loose in which case a firm push to get it seated back in that nut is required. Anything else ?

On the alignment part, do you mean the machine gives a reading of how much torque is the wrong alignment generating ? That's cool
@Narayan - Will do an ownership report after the second service. It just makes sense to do it once you get to know your vehicle inside out

To me the vehicle is like a horse and the rider. If they are mated well, then not too much of issues. If not, you end up with what you would call a pile of junk

There was a "Tak" sound while pressing the clutch. This was due to the spring and that has been rectified now. As you had suggested squeaks were in the rear door mounting and that has been rectified. Still a few here and there when the vehicle is empty. But that can be lived with

Road force balancing = Ends up telling you what value of drag is felt and in which direction. Kinda cool stuff.

Got scratched by a Pallavan bus in Chennai from the left. Learned that minor paint patches can be rectified with rubbing brake fluid over the affected area.

So if you guys have paint left behind by the other vehicle that touched you, dip a rag into the brake fluid receptacle and then give your hand a good exercise. It works !
Old 17th September 2013, 12:48   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, I check my tyre pressures every couple of weeks at least. I warm up the truck first thing in the morning, and give it time to idle before shutting it down as well. I go by engine sound and feel before upshifting. RPM-wise it would be around 2300-2500, sometimes 3000 or tipping slightly above in 2 and 3. Rarely above. I never lug, and always err on the side of the lower gear when in traffic. I usually always downshift a gear while braking and taking a 90 degree turn. I slow down to 2nd. and take speed breaker humps. But I do pull to get the beast up to speed as quickly as possible. In gear cruising would be around 2-2200 rpm as mentioned by you. The A/c is always on at #1 (rarely #2 if ever) and the Eco mode. Rarely the rear A/c or Blue mode is activated.
@ebonho - I completed around 3k in my Black Knight. The last drive was done after the first service (nothing changed ). I got a FE of 13.8 with 60% highway and 40% city (Bangalore - Chennai) and 100% ac, both front and rear
Tyre pressure at 33psi on nitrogen, 5 pax minimum and a/c in eco mode. Also, rpm at 3k highest but gear shifts between 2k and 2.5k. Regular diesel only.
By the way shocked at Shell Diesel prices - 75.5 per litre !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks