Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 11:47   #361
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Vista's turbo kicks in at 1750-1800 rpm whereas I guess in Swift/Punto @ 2000. This is the primary reason of a very low turbo lag on the Vista.

In Vista you can cleanly pull in 5th gear at 1500 rpm onwards. You can easily roam around the city in 3rd & 4th gear at 1200 rpm.

In Sail too the turbo spools in from 1750 rpm, albeit with a higher torque of 205 Nm. This is the highest torque on any hatchback running on the Fiat Multijet.

However what remains to be seen is, how much would it have an impact on the mileage.
The 75 BHP Punto also delivers peak torque from just 1750 RPM - same state of tune as the Vista. The two even have similar gear ratios other than 1st & 5th gears. But in the Punto atleast, below 1500 RPM the car is not very responsive. This can be attributed more to power delivery / turbo lag rather than torque delivery (the kerb weight of both is also similar at around 1130-1140 kgs). A good chunk of torque would still be delivered at 1500 RPM.

From the reviews atleast, the Sail seems to have linear power delivery coupled with the best power and torque figures for the non-VGT version of the Multijet: 77 BHP & 205 Nm of torque. Even though Sail seems like a decent overall package taking into account the Chevrolet 3 years service promise, I have seen only 1 Sail on Delhi roads and that was yesterday only - in silver colour. I must say, there are quite a few mediocre cars in the market that are selling more than the fairly well-rounded package that Sail U-VA offers - though a price correction is warranted and can be expected in the near future.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 23:28   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Lord View Post
Owning a car is more than just the initial phase of buying it and I am sure you know it - you are a BHPian too
That's exactly my point too.

When I was looking for a diesel hatch a few months ago, I went by this. Maruti is one car you can always be sure of, at least in India. My last two cars were from Maruti and Maruti A.S.S. never failed me. Therefore, my first consideration was, of course, a car from Maruti stable and I was looking at the Swift. However, Swift was having a waiting list of six months and was out of consideration, unfortunately.

Ritz could have been my choice, but I never liked the look of it. So had a hard look at Toyota Liva. Liva was it, after the initial TDs of all the cars. Sail was not there in the market at that point of time. I had a feeling that the resale value of a Toyota car can only be next to a Maruti. And Toyota A.S.S. is superb and I have no complaints whatsoever. In fact, I find it better than Maruti, in all probability because of the less work pressure in a Toyota service centre (as compared to Maruti).

Not only buying, a hassle-free ownership is very much needed once the buying process is over.

Personally, I'll never buy a car which is not at least one year old because I would hear out the experiences of the initial owners before deciding on any car. So, even if SAIL was there when I was buying my car, in all probability I wouldn't have settled for it!
Old 14th January 2013, 10:58   #363
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
Did take a test drive of Sail at Trident Chevrolet in Jayanagar 5th Block. Car is good with the famed 1.3 Diesel Engine. Makes more power compared to my swift however felt that the engine was a bit more tight. Can attribute that fact to the car being run low (900 Kms).
But the interiors were a major let down and when referred to the sales man, he updated that this Marc, Sail would be having a choice of 2 interiors. The existing beige & grey option. Suspension was really good better compared to my Swift, but at 720K felt that the interiors were a deal braker. Looks very cheap not worthy of a car which sports a price tag of 720K.
Old 31st March 2013, 23:38   #364
BHPian

Went to check out the Sail-UVA 1.2 for my bro. There are no discounts available at all. The LS ABS version is being quoted at 5.98 lacs. Planning to book the car in this week itself.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:23   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post
Went to check out the Sail-UVA 1.2 for my bro. There are no discounts available at all. The LS ABS version is being quoted at 5.98 lacs. Planning to book the car in this week itself.
You might wanna wait for a couple of weeks? Am sure with the slowdown in the India Auto Industry Chevy will be forced to announce their share of offers?
Old 29th April 2013, 13:18   #366
BHPian

I couldn't find a thread for Sail Sedan so posting a little experience here.

Accompanied a relative (who has recently got transferred to Delhi and does not want to bring in his old car) to take the delivery of his Sail Sedan LS ABS.

I will not get into his decision of why he chose Sail Sedan (he very seriously considered Swift Dzire VX and Honda Amaze), primarily becuase it's his daughter who was somehow more sold on to the Sail Sedan.

What I want to highlight here is the attitude that comes with Sail these days, it could either be the Chevrolet or it could just be the dealer i.e. Chevrolet Metro However, honestly speaking, given the almost non-existent sighting of these cars (both Sedan and Hatch) on the roads I must say I am pretty impressed with the attitude I saw yesterday.

First, the delivery did not happen from the showroom, they had us go to a cluster of service centers for Ford, Chevrolet and Hyundai (yes, the same guy owns all these dealerships) and we sat in a facility which is not air conditioned for 2 hours in Delhi summers till the time they readied our car for delivery.

I was surprised to see that even mud flaps were not included lets just not talk about foot mats and alike. Though I knew it was late but I still decided to talk to people out there. The reply was, sir you should consider yourself lucky that you are getting your car in a week. There is a waiting for more than a month on these cars and you are asking for free mud flaps. I sure am blind. .a car is commanding a 1.5 month waiting period and I fail to notice even one on NCR roads.

Then we chose a seat cover and ordered a gear lock.car was driven back to some unknown place again. Only to be told 45 minutes later, Sir these covers are for Sail UVA and we do not have any for Sail Sedan. LMAO

Finally the car arrived after a couple of hours. And believe it when I tell you, the guard demonstrated the functions of the car to the would be owner and gave away the key. Not even a single soul from the staff of the dealership was present. No customary picture taken, no gift offered ( at least my Fiesta came with a little green plant given by the CSR with a broad smile for the photo op).

And to top it, the wise words from the guard at the time of leaving. Sir, we have put about 2 liters of petrol please make sure you get the petrol filled from the nearest gas station (which it self is about 5 kilometers from the place) as you never know about Delhi.. so many jams. We have had many customers who got stuck. I said thank you sir, and how about a coupon for 5 liter of petrol? No luck sir.. we don't give any.

I had no intentions of talking to any one any more, 1 because I was never involved in the initial discussions when the car was booked, 2 I knew it is going to get nothing.

Way to go Chevrolet and Metro Chevrolet.. you sure got a winner at your hands, I just hope my eye sight gets better and I get to see more on the roads because I sure aint going back to Chevrolet EVER.
New.Novice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:30   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
And believe it when I tell you, the guard demonstrated the functions of the car to the would be owner and gave away the key. Not even a single soul from the staff of the dealership was present.

I have no words to describe this outright atrocious treatment being met out to a Chevrolet customer. This is not an auto-rickshaw or a powder tin they are selling; it is a dream come true for the customer. Don't they require even a proof of purchase? Usually they take photos mostly as proof than to please the customer.

EDIT: I'd have straightly denied taking delivery, unless a Sales Executive handed over the keys. Do these thug dealership only care about pocketing the money and nothing else?

Last edited by thoma : 29th April 2013 at 14:39.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:13   #368
BHPian

Quote:
First, the delivery did not happen from the showroom, they had us go to a cluster of service centers for Ford, Chevrolet and Hyundai (yes, the same guy owns all these dealerships) and we sat in a facility which is not air conditioned for 2 hours in Delhi summers till the time they readied our car for delivery.

Way to go Chevrolet and Metro Chevrolet.. you sure got a winner at your hands, I just hope my eye sight gets better and I get to see more on the roads because I sure aint going back to Chevrolet EVER.

That is news to me! I have been to Nikhil Chevrolet several times and they have a wonderful car handover "ceremony" (They play music and burst out a ballon when handling over the keys). I myself was a part of it when taking the delivery of my Beat. Mud flaps and a coupon for petrol should be bargained for before booking the delivery IMO. Having said that, it is truly a disgrace that things like this happen when we shell out our hard earned money.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 20:24   #369
BHPian

@thoma and @Mr. Beat that's precisely the reaction that I had when I went through it yesterday. But as said earlier, since I did not engage at all in any of the visits while the negotiations were being done ( in any case it was done in 2 visits plain, one to see the car and second to make the booking deposit) I did not push for any thing during the delivery. But believe you in me, if I was the buyer I would have simply refused to take the delivery and walked away. My uncle is way too "straight" customer for anything, I acknowledge that he made a mistake of not negotiating anything at all. But that is no excuse to extend this behavior to a customer who is buying something from you, never mind it happens to be something on the other side of 6 lacs.

However, power to team-bhp , I am just told by my uncle (who bought this car) that he got a call from someone in Metro chevrolet and he was asking if we have any complaints regarding delivery. He took a guess that it would have been me as I told these folks yesterday that all of this is going to get up on team-bhp. He is going to give them my number to talk to, let us see if I get a call.
New.Novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 18:15   #370
Team-BHP Support

For a low selling car its a little strange that Chevy does not have any offers on it.

Just a Rs 3,000 corporate discount.
Or is the scene a little better in cities other than Hyderabad.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:26   #371
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't find a thread for Sail Sedan so posting a little experience here.
This incident certainly should be forwarded to Chevrolet. More ever you can post this in the dealership thread.

Last edited by bblost : 17th May 2013 at 12:23. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post in full. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:12   #372
Senior - BHPian

Recently had taken a test drive of Sail Uva Diesel. The vehicle was LT ABS top end variant. The car although was good to drive, had a good low end torque, fantastic interiors, chilling AC but had a serious vibration issue on the clutch. When pointed out to the SA, I was curtly told that thats the only test vehicle available. Upon that no disounts offered at all for any variant and the SA was far more interested in selling the LS ABS variant. Even when I stood up to leave absolutely no courteousness and no positivity from the dealer. Thay had the cheekiness to call me few days later to ask me when was I coming to book the car and that they preferred a 20K cheque for booking. This was SC Chevrolet in Thane.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:25   #373
Team-BHP Support

I have visited the Chevy showroom at Kondapur in Hyderabad, twice.

The SA (Kiran) who has been with me at both times was extremely well informed and very helpful.
He is one of the main reasons why I like the Sail.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:43   #374
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the sedan one today. Didn't TD. Sales guy was well informed.

I guess the Sail is one nice package as per pricing and a.s.s package is concerned. If I remember correctly the top end costs 8.65 lac OTR ( the hatch top end would be one lac cheaper). The interior is ok, nothing fancy. Space is what I liked apart from its looks.

Now the best part is, you pay 23k and you forget paying for anything else, be it for oil change or wiper change or whatever for 3 years! You just need to put diesel. Only battery, tyre and accident isn't covered in the 23k package which is nice.
Old 18th May 2013, 20:16   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Checked out the sedan one today. Didn't TD. Sales guy was well informed
Now the best part is, you pay 23k and you forget paying for anything else, be it for oil change or wiper change or whatever for 3 years! You just need to put diesel. Only battery, tyre and accident isn't covered in the 23k package which is nice.
Yeah that maintenence plan from chevrolet is a really good deal. It covers a total of 9 services and even components like clutch, suspension etc are included in the price. You don't have to pay anything when the car goes for servicing.

Is the price same for petrol and diesel variants both? What about the u-va?

Overall the Sail is a really nice package. Chevrolet should have just given some black or grey inserts in the fully beige interiors to make it a bit more likable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks