Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 09:46   #196
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
saw a quanto near silkboard junction yesterday..
what was special was :

3 adults in the front two seats)
4 adults + 2 kids in the 2ndrow
2 adults and 2 kids in 3row
roof carrier containing some 3-4 kit bags type luggage.
all windows were up, so i presume AC was on..
talk about fully loaded

when the signal turned green, the car just zipped away.. must say i was darn impressed, at least with the pulling power....
Very often I do fully loaded 600- 700kms trips ( on varying road conditions ) in my quanto, i10 and honda city. In the quanto the amazing low end torque results in very few gear changes, and when driving on a highway at 100km/h especially when one has to slow down a little and then accelerate again. Climbing bridges - fully loaded, without downshifting. Result : A very fresh driver after the long drive.

While the honda city is great when it comes to road hugging and top end torque, After comparing the i10, the honda city and the quanto on many many such long continous mile crunching, I feel ( now this is my personal opinion ) the least amount of tiredness only when I am driving a quanto. I have experienced this many a time in the last 2 months. "One" of the reason for this I am sure is the amazing low end torque of the quanto.
vipinendran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 07:45   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Tool-down strike at Mahindra & Mahindra’s Nashik plant.
Quanto deliveries could be impacted.

Quote:
The facility, which manufactures models like Bolero, Scorpio, Xylo, Quanto and Verito, suffered a production loss of 500 units because of the tool down. On Tuesday, M&M lost 90 units of production

Source: ET
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 09:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
Very often I do fully loaded 600- 700kms trips ( on varying road conditions ) in my quanto
have one question: What was the feedback of the rear seat passengers ? what was their comments on the bumpiness/body roll/etc... Since they would have also travelled in your hondacity/i10 also, what was their comments/comparison ?

and what was the highest speed at which the vehicle still felt stable ?

Edit: Also, can you share your ownership experience, highway experience, etc with quanto ? I'm sure this will be helpful to a prospective buyer.

Last edited by haria : 7th March 2013 at 10:05.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:34   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While the honda city is great when it comes to road hugging and top end torque, After comparing the i10, the honda city and the quanto on many many such long continous mile crunching, I feel ( now this is my personal opinion ) the least amount of tiredness only when I am driving a quanto. I have experienced this many a time in the last 2 months. "One" of the reason for this I am sure is the amazing low end torque of the quanto.
Tell me about it,i have a Scorpio and Linea,and i too feel the same.
But people here feel otherwise,and keep cribbing about body roll and handling.
Old 7th March 2013, 14:13   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....on many many such long continous mile crunching, I feel ( now this is my personal opinion ) the least amount of tiredness only when I am driving a quanto. I have experienced this many a time in the last 2 months. "One" of the reason for this I am sure is the amazing low end torque of the quanto.
I am NOT sure how low end torque would reduce tiredness while on highways? In bumper to bumper city traffic, yes - that helps immensely in diveability.

You experience lesser tiredness mainly because of the high seating position / better seat comfort (?) of the Quanto compared to City / i10. Low seating position (sedans) / seats with low support (Wagon R etc) can break your back while doing 300+ kms.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th March 2013 at 14:15.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:00   #201
BHPian

My 2 cents worth : Yes, driving tiredness is a combination of many factors and one important factor is frequent gear changes. "Torque" translated into layman's language would mean pulling power. Low end torque would come into play in the engine rpm band 2000 to 4000.

Often in the highways in India, going along at 100 to 120km/h in the engine rpm 2700 to3200 one would frequently have to apply the brakes slightly many a time due to reasons like people/cattle crossing, vehicles turning and changing lanes, approaching a gradient, frequently changing road conditions etc., Poor low end torque would result in engine losing its capacity to pull at lower rpms and frequent downshifting and upshifting. In the quanto or in any car which has good low end torque the engine would be able to pull effortlessly at lower rpms. This combined with the fact the the human brain is very sensitive to thought pattern changes ( especially the frustration when the vehicle does not respond to our "command" burns up more energy "glucose" in one's body ) and one feels tired sooner. When on has a very responsive car most of the irritants like this which is very unique to highway driving in India is overcome. Abroad in western countries highway driving would not encounter such frequent application of the brake then high end torque is of great importance.
Old 8th March 2013, 15:12   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You experience lesser tiredness mainly because of the high seating position / better seat comfort (?) of the Quanto compared to City / i10. Low seating position (sedans) / seats with low support (Wagon R etc) can break your back while doing 300+ kms.
Agree. I drive an alto and even after a modest drive of 100+km on slightly bad roads is a killer for your back

Quote:
My 2 cents worth : Yes, driving tiredness is a combination of many factors and one important factor is frequent gear changes...

mmm. I don't fully agree. I have driven i10 automatic and scorpio for over 100+km drives. There was NO gear changes required in i 10, sill i felt a bit "worn out" (it was a bit rough road). It was definitely much better in a scorp.. I believe this could have been because of better seating position which the latter offered.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 16:21   #203
BHPian

mmm. I don't fully agree. I have driven i10 automatic and scorpio for over 100+km drives. There was NO gear changes required in i 10, sill i felt a bit "worn out" (it was a bit rough road). It was definitely much better in a scorp.. I believe this could have been because of better seating position which the latter offered.[/quote]

That is excatly what I am trying to say it is a combination of factors there is no excat quantitative model /formula for driving comfort. It depends on the car you use and the road conditions. In your case the i10 manual is much more responsive than the i10 auto and if you read my full post you would know that the state of mind of the driver is very important too ! that is why automatic hatchbacks are not preferred for long highway hauls, ( especially when it comes to overtaking ) a manual is much more peppy and you can control it the way you want.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:00   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2 cents worth : Yes, driving tiredness is a combination of many factors and one important factor is frequent gear changes. "Torque" translated into layman's language would mean pulling power. Low end torque would come into play in the engine rpm band 2000 to 4000.

Often in the highways in India, going along at 100 to 120km/h in the engine rpm 2700 to3200 one would frequently have to apply the brakes slightly many a time due to reasons like people/cattle crossing, vehicles turning and changing lanes, approaching a gradient, frequently changing road conditions etc., Poor low end torque would result in engine losing its capacity to pull at lower rpms and frequent downshifting and upshifting. In the quanto or in any car which has good low end torque the engine would be able to pull effortlessly at lower rpms. This combined with the fact the the human brain is very sensitive to thought pattern changes ( especially the frustration when the vehicle does not respond to our "command" burns up more energy "glucose" in one's body ) and one feels tired sooner. When on has a very responsive car most of the irritants like this which is very unique to highway driving in India is overcome. Abroad in western countries highway driving would not encounter such frequent application of the brake then high end torque is of great importance.
Friend, there's nothing called "high end torque". Torque is low end while power is high end. Torque has very little influence in higher RPM ranges.

Cars having very good low end torque have poor top end performance on the highway. As others have mentioned it's the high seating position that gives you that comfort. I can understand that you love your vehicle, go enjoy it! You don't need to have justified reasons to prove your enjoyment!
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 10:41   #205
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the great review. M&M has always made a move to provide potential buyers an option in every segment. Quantro move is no different. And, of course, the fact around keeping a conservative unit sell projection. One challenge in M&M is the plastic quality used in interior finish. From pics, look okay in Quantro. Need to check it out on the vehicle.

Cheers
Old 4th May 2013, 16:41   #206
BHPian

Would you like to see a Bolero/Xylo with a Quanto's Engine

I was just browsing through the web when i chanced upon this article on the indianautosblog website

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/m...ty-hikes-74127

Let me point out the part which interested me/made my stomach rebel

Pawan Goenka, President, automotive sector, Mahindra, has revealed that company is working on “redefining” its existing models to escape additional excise hike.

He hinted that it is possible for his firm to downsize the engine capacity of some of its products to below 1.5 litre. The 1.5L mCR100 diesel engine that powers the Quanto could come into picture. However, Dr. Goenka did not mention about the models that are being redefined. For instance, plonking that engine under the hood of the Bolero would help it evade the duty hike.

Now having just bought a Bolero DI, i would be terribly disheartened if they plonked the Quanto's 1.5 mCR100 into the Bolero as the Bolero is known purely for its torque and the adequacy of this torque surge to get you out of undesirable situations. I would shudder to think how the 1.5 litre engine would cope up with the kind of usage pattern the Bolero is usually subjected to. Might be a 100 bhp motor sure- but it hardly pulls in the 1st and 2nd gear even in the Quanto.

What are your thoughts on this one? Would you like to see that engine plonked in the Bolero. Maybe also in the Xylo and do a Quanto-Xylo engine share like the Verna-Elantra engine share.
Old 4th May 2013, 19:59   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am NOT sure how low end torque would reduce tiredness while on highways? In bumper to bumper city traffic, yes - that helps immensely in diveability.

You are right partially. High seating position does two things in your favor
a) Commanding view of the road, over the top of sedans. So planning overtaking moves is better
b) Legs are not folded/bent as much as in a sedan. Hence overall fatigue is lesser in a SUV/MUV

Torque/pulling power helps better overtaking since you may not run out of power in a higher gear at high speeds (say 80kmph in 5th gear, a typical overtaking move to power up to 100kmph to overtake that pesky truck), some cars with lower torque figures make you downshift to overtake, especially on two laned roads, hence more fatigue due to more thinking.

Sedans or low cars are best for smooth highways where high speed cruising is possible. In typical Indian conditions a high SUV/MUV with lots of torque and high seating is prefered due to the above
Old 9th May 2013, 16:44   #208
BHPian

I got a very short test drive in the Quanto and I have to say that the Quanto's engine first feels strained till 60 or so. If you keep below 80 most of the time then you feel a bit unhappy.

I do not advise the Quanto if you stay in hilly areas as on roundabouts, it has massive body roll.

The Enjoy has more interior space and below 80 kmph accelerates better and has much better ride.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:13   #209
BHPian

Sales is decreasing consistently for Xylo and Quanto both. For Xylo reason would be growing competition from all side (Ertiga/Evalia/Enjoy etc.) but for Quanto there is not much direct competition.

We understand that Mahindra never had very aggressive targets for Quanto, but 1338 from Quanto and below 3000 from the platform(Xylo+Quanto) would be even below their lowest expectations.

Mahindra has responded with introduction of mHawk engine in E4/E6/E8 variants of Xylo.

Now lets see what Mahindra tries to do for Quanto.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:37   #210
BHPian

Just back from a TD of the Quanto (C8) from the Infinity Autolinks dealer near Worli, and looks like I may have to visit the doctor! While we were parked at a red light, the salesperson (Nadeem) said that I should lower the seat to see if that would be more comfortable. Heeding his advice, I did just that and was surprised (I may have missed this if mentioned earlier in the thread) to come crashing down abruptly! Apparently the lever operates in a binary more - up or down, not through gradual, calibrated levels. Hurt my lower back and the pain has now started radiating a bit. Hoping this will settle down after I apply a cold pack at home later this evening. My query is this - how does one react to something like this? When the salesperson knew that the lever operates in a binary mode, shouldn't he have had the sense to advise me to get down, lower the seat and then try driving? Where do these guys get off with their irresponsible behaviour??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks